Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Cannot stand De Gea's performances this season.

Yeah, this can be seen as knee-jerk but it's happened 7 times this season. We have to be ruthless, bar Alisson, Henderson has been up there as one of the best.

Poll?

Yeah it needs to happen, De Gea is on too much money and his performances have been shakey for nearly a year.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
How is Henderson's communication and passing?

Because all De Gea has going for him, and it's all he has ever had, is shot-stopping.

PoTMS

I mean it's obvious this has to happen but sadly it won't. At this moment, Henderson is a better keeper than De Gea.

izec

Sign me up. I fully believe he should get the chance to establish himself next season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Gea's been garbage since that Spurs game last season when he had probably his best performance ever. It's frustrating as feck because he has so many good moments still, but so many mistakes. You can't make mistakes as a goalkeeper. You just can't. Was once the best in the world, now is just a player we don't have confidence in. Maybe next season they fight it out, but Henderson surely has to take over at some point in the next 2 years.

Drainy

De Gea's been garbage since that Spurs game last season when he had probably his best performance ever. It's frustrating as feck because he has so many good moments still, but so many mistakes. You can't make mistakes as a goalkeeper. You just can't. Was once the best in the world, now is just a player we don't have confidence in. Maybe next season they fight it out, but Henderson surely has to take over at some point in the next 2 years.
He's been poor for us since getting found out for Spain at the World Cup

Art

Art the artist
The obsession with De Gea's saves is weird on here. Every good goalkeeper in the premier league makes them. He gets paid 300k a fecking week and does THAT in minute two of the game. How can you excuse that. I don't see the motivation in him to win. He's a talented goalkeeper that's won titles with us but I'd rather take Deano who's got the fecking hunger to prove himself. And hey turns out Hendersons up there in PL cleansheets and is United bred. It isn't fecking rocket science.

marktan

People need to watch Henderson more, he has mistakes in him too. He's protected by a very defensive back 3 at Sheffield.

We have problems in our team but DDG is not one of them. We need to back him, not bin him after one off season. If someone offers £40m for him then yeah sure, elsewise there's no point to it.

Irrational.

If we let Henderson go and keep DDG as #1 it'll be a huge mistake.

The channel I'm watching showed all his blunders this season and it's clear he's not the keeper he was. He's over the hill. At United anyway.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Cannot stand De Gea's performances this season.

Yeah, this can be seen as knee-jerk but it's happened 7 times this season. We have to be ruthless, bar Alisson, Henderson has been up there as one of the best.

Poll?
The 7 was across the last 18 months not just this season but as you were

tylerd

He's been poor since WC. Both for club and Spain. That's nearly 2 years and still there's opinion that we should back him... He's been brilliant for some years and had some incredible matches here, but it's time to part ways. Anyway, don't think that Henderson will be worse, honestly.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Nope.

Henderson can't make the kind of stops Big Dave can make. And De Gea ain't going to be getting caught clearing the ball every week.

De Gea in net next season and Henderson out on loan again. Case dismissed.

Chairman Steve

There’s a whole difference between keeping for a team like Sheff Utd and a team like Man Utd. Ben Foster has looked great for the likes of WBA and Watford, but Man Utd not so much... even Tim Howard never really settled down despite looking good initially, but then felt more reliable at Everton.

That is one thing to be weary of when considering Henderson.

izec

People need to watch Henderson more, he has mistakes in him too. He's protected by a very defensive back 3 at Sheffield.

We have problems in our team but DDG is not one of them. We need to back him, not bin him after one off season. If someone offers £40m for him then yeah sure, elsewise there's no point to it.
Henderson beats De Gea by every stat imagineable this season. Our defense is good as well.

He makes occasional mistakes, but is on the up, like De Gea a decade ago. De Gea makes too many mistakes, but is past his best.

El Zoido

I agree. DDG has become a liability, hate to say it but I think his time is up.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Exactly. He’s not all that, it’s our dull tactics and us parking the bus that makes his stats look so good ;)

Amerifan

One sane man in a sea of overreaction...

MonkeysMagic

No way we are getting any interest in him until he has a year remaining on contract. Not sure Henderson would come back to be a no. 2 so I think Ole will duck out of the obvious thing that needs to happen.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Hopefully the club doesn't spend any energy on this. We have big, big problems and this one is extremely far down on that list. I'm not even sure this is an issue at all. Henderson makes blunders to, actually made more than one this season alone. And no, he is nowhere near as good a shot-stopper as de Gea. Nor is he any good coming out.

James Peril

Ridiculous. Being the GK for Man Utd and Sheff Utd is two completely different things. DDG messed up here, but he also made a save only he can make at the end. I’m not saying he can produce blunders every week and get away with it, but he isn’t doing that. Remember Liverpool’s goal against Sheffield United last season? Yeah, that was Henderson, he is also capable of that.

arthurka

Henderson should have his chance. Still think we could find him a new home but his fee won't be high.

Drainy

Not done bad in our pub team, settled in well so don’t see why not
in all seriousness, I live in Sheffield and know he's a fan favourite.

The united fans who look at his 1 mistake to defend de Gea and downplay Henderson are ridiculous. He's a big personality and mentally strong, or so I've heard.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

is he?

I thought Sheffield United played that unusual system where their CHs pushed up?

I'm guessing someone covers but from what I'd read/seen (MOTD only tbf), I don't think he has three CH literally guarding him.d

And I don't think a lot of De Geas errors are when he's been isolated. Plus there's De Geas lack of ability at crosses, no control/management of the defence and (as today showed), he's not good with his feet.

Shot stopping remain s brilliant but the question is, is that enough now?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's the classic thing where people barely watch a player at another team, and therefore get over inflated ideas about their level versus our current players.
See Schneiderlin for the best example in recent years.

Henderson needs another Premier league season next year. After that we'll have a decision to make.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

DDG communication is still awful, but hes the best available between the sticks. Hendo is having a belter season but I have to be honest, hes not at DDG level yet. Hopefully another year in the league on loan and he can challenge in training for the jersey.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's had 3 good saves this game but yeah he's a liability. Who knows how Henderson will react with the pressure of being United number one. And 7 errors is over 18 month period not just this season.

Jonno

He’s been very good in this stretch of results, until today. Worth remembering two outstanding saves, one just after Everton’s goal, and one before the VAR decision. Excellent saves that not many keepers make in the PL.

He’s deffo past his best, he’s not quite kept up to speed with the PL as its moved to a pressing game in the last 4-5 years.

I’d love to see Hendo in the 1st team with Romero pushing him. I bet Dave would love to go back to Spain at some point too. I reckon we could get £35m-£45m for him if Real came calling. He’s an upgrade on Courtois.

I reckon we’ll have another season with him and then move him on.

RUCK4444

David will come good again, he’s had a strong dip in form but the form he had prior is almost impossible to guarantee year in year out.

He’s still young for a keeper, if he gets back to his best he’s still the best shot stopper in the world. You don’t discard that easily imo.

That said, it’s a tricky one because Henderson is the future and he will be thinking at what point does he get to start.

If I had to pluck for one in a one off game I would still back De Gea currently.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we can get PSG or some other rich club to buy him with his high wages, I wouldn't mind selling him for around 50m.
He's clearly past his peak, and no longer worldclass keeper. Henderson should be our future no.1 keeper.

Virror

Henderson is 22, he will probably only get better. De Gea meanwhile is getting worse.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I can't say I've seen enough of Sheffield Utd to form much of an opinion, though he's obviously getting rave reviews here and elsewhere. What type of keeper is he? Much better than De Gea aerially or with his feet? As good, or close to it shot-stopping wise?