Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Irrational.

Without a doubt. If DDG isn't happy battling Henderson for our #1 spot he can go.

The lack of competition has made Dave complacent as feck. No matter how many feck ups, he knows his place between the sticks is assured.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Definitely needs upgrading on. I thought his contract was a mistake at the time but i was hoping I'd be wrong.

Dan_F

Without a doubt. If DDG isn't happy battling Henderson for our #1 spot he can go.

The lack of competition has made Dave complacent as feck. No matter how many feck ups, he knows his place between the sticks is assured.
The issue is probably more that no one will take him on those wages.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He should have saved it, come on. I dunno what happened to him. 5 minutes before kick off it hit me wondering what we would get from De Gea today, that’s where we are now wondering what he’s going do each game.
Im not saying he shouldn’t have but it’s not solely down to him.

PoTMS

It's quite obvious De Gea is over the hill. It's been two years now he's been this poor. Henderson looks the better keeper. Heck, I'm even more confident with Romero in between the sticks.

izec

Massive mistake. He was so slow to react, that it looked like it was more difficult. It was straight at him ffs, and i mean straight.

Brophs

The One and Only
You feel like we'll end up making the same sort of "Just one of those days" excuses we had to make for the first few years of United being shite/a normal club, for DDG every time he makes a mistake. It's just happening too often, over too long a period, to be anything other than a massive issue that isn't going away.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Maguire more to blame for that goal than DDG. Not great from either, mind.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You feel like we'll end up making the same sort of "Just one of those days" excuses we had to make for the first few years of United being shite/a normal club, for DDG every time he makes a mistake. It's just happening too often, over too long a period, to be anything other than a massive issue that isn't going away.
You have people who get excited about every little save that he makes and somehow makes out for the previous mistake, and everyone is okay again. Just look at the excitement after the header from Son, and it was just a good save, nothing out of this world, but apparently he made out for the previous mistake for that save. He makes good save look exciting and people forget the mistakes.

Based Adnan

That header he turned over the bar is a routine save. If someone like Krul lets that in then you say it's a mistake.

Utdstar01

Far too many high profile errors. If anything he's lucky he hasn't been in the spotlight so much.

Kag

This is exactly where we’re at. It’s regular, this stuff.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You have people who get excited about every little save that he makes and somehow makes out for the previous mistake, and everyone is okay again. Just look at the excitement after the header from Son, and it was just a good save, nothing out of this world, but apparently he made out for the previous mistake for that save. He makes good save look exciting and people forget the mistakes.
Yep. The errors are way too frequent now. He's been a liability for ages. Many of us hoped it was just poor form, or him losing his confidence after his poor world cup, but it's gone on for too long to overlook the fact that he's probably on the decline.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Said yesterday, I’ve had enough of him. Seems to be back in his annual ‘let me be a good employee and save the club lots of money due by paying CL qualification bonuses’ mode.

Untd55

Maguire more to blame for that goal than DDG. Not great from either, mind.
Equal. Maguire was murdered. Bergwijn would have had more trouble with a traffic cone.

De Gea was shocking. There is a point the 'bad form' excuse needs to end. It has gone on too long now; I think he has just massively deteriorated.

He has lost reaction speed, which was his number one asset.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It isn’t. But that isn’t really the point anymore. This is about De Gea.
Fair enough. Still, I’m of the opinion of giving him another season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yep. The errors are way too frequent now. He's been a liability for ages. Many of us hoped it was just poor form, or him losing his confidence after his poor world cup, but it's gone on for too long to overlook the fact that he's probably on the decline.
He single handedly cost us top4 two years ago and many people wouldn't admit it. Since them his form hasn't improved at all.

Don't get me wrong, he makes some out of the world saves, but he is not top tier anymore.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Sorry, I phrased that badly. I meant "I would like someone to ask him why his form has has dipped over the last two seasons and then hear his answer."
Ah right, thought he admitted it in an interview!

hmchan

Does DeGea feel any pressure from Romero or Henderson?
If an outfield player was making these mistakes they would be dropped because there would be alternatives.
I never get the impression that DeGea is under any pressure.
de Gea's 375k-per-week salary pretty much guarantees a spot for him. Given his repeated errors and terrible form towards the end of last season, Ole still refused to drop him and chose to stick with him. As far as I see, he will be our first choice as long as he's here and competition is nonexistent.

hmchan

Good save, should have done better for the goal (albeit from a powerful shot).

Would love to hear why he thinks his form has dropped over the last two seasons.
Pundits said a lot about the distraction caused by his contract saga. But now he has already extended his contract with a 375k weekly salary. No more excuse for me.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pundits said a lot about the distraction caused by his contract saga. But now he has already extended his contract with a 375k weekly salary. No more excuse for me.
I never bought that it was a contract thing as that shouldn't have hit him for Spain too. Similarly it can't have been simple decline as he went straight from an excellent season into a nightmarish world cup and at a young age too.

Whatever it is, it's in his head.

Walters_19_MuFc

If I was Henderson, I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't at least get a look in next season, especially given his performances this season. Same goes with Romero.

De Gea has been fantastic for us over the years, but it's clear to see he's not the same keeper he was.

Untd55

If I was Henderson, I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't at least get a look in next season, especially given his performances this season. Same goes with Romero.

De Gea has been fantastic for us over the years, but it's clear to see he's not the same keeper he was.
I think it is fast becoming a 'choose now or risk losing him' issue. Henderson is likely going to become England number one soon if he continues these performances; is he going to want to risk losing that by staying as a loanee?

He is also going to attract more attention from big clubs. I think he could be swayed pretty easily to leave Manutd if we don't firmly say in due course that he will be number one.

RazorOz

de Gea's 375k-per-week salary pretty much guarantees a spot for him. Given his repeated errors and terrible form towards the end of last season, Ole still refused to drop him and chose to stick with him. As far as I see, he will be our first choice as long as he's here and competition is nonexistent.
We'd be utterly mad if he's first choice next season, not that I'm totally convinced he won't be.

Tarrou

I'm coming around to this idea, the new contract is starting to look problematic

RonaldoVII

I can't see Henderson coming in and being our number 1 just like that. Does he not need a season doing the cup games to bed in?

CM

It's beginning to look more and more that way. These errors in de Gea's game are almost becoming a feature of his play.

This is the risk we ran signing him up to a new long-term deal last summer. Is he next in line of the list of high earners we've struggled with post Ferguson?

RazorOz

I can't see Henderson coming in and being our number 1 just like that. Does he not need a season doing the cup games to bed in?
Why is Henderson going to agree to that? If Henderson wants to keep progressing and have a chance of being England's #1 next year he's not going to be happy to sit on the bench for the year.

It's like when Chelsea got Courtois back from Atletico, they brought him back to replace Cech, and we need to do the same with Henderson, he's been far better than De Gea this season, it makes no sense to think he needs bleeding in, that's why he's on loan in the first place.

Knowing Utd though we will take the easy option and loan Henderson out for another season to be made to look like mugs for another season.