Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don’t recall Fergie airing the dirty washing with Beckham. Rather the other way around. What was clearly an accident resulted in Beckham rearranging his hair so the world could see his “injury”. I’d be surprised if Ferguson never let anything slip in 26 years but it would’ve been a rarity.
ha ha.. maybe Becks even kicked the boot at himself

DuruttiColumn

Henderson looks like a fine young English goalkeeper.
If was was owned by Shef U and not on loan from us, he’d probably get talked up for the likes of Everton.

I really can’t see what the hype is, sorry.

Andi Latte

I don't quite get all this "Henderson won't accept being No.2 talk".

Ter Stegen came to Barca and was No.2 for two seasons. Well, he rotated some matches with Bravo in the league but he wasn't clear-cut first choice. Leno also went to Arsenal playing second fiddle to a declining Cech.

If those two can do it, Henderson will be able to as well. I mean the guy can play Cup Matches and maybe even in Europe for Manchester fecking United, with a view to become No. 1 in a few years. I can really not see a 22-year old academy product declining such an opportunity due to unseeming pride. Honestly, one good season in top-flight football doesn't really put one in the position to make such demands.

I'm pretty sure De Gea's current contract will be his last at Manchester United, this means it's two years max Henderson has to "wait". He will be 25 by then. If he can prove himself in a high-pressure environment / DDG keeps blundering he can take over even earlier, maybe even next season. Or he can join a midtable team, I know which I would choose.

Be that as it may, if it's possible to loan him to SHU / another prem club / even something like Dortmund as part of a possible Sancho-Deal, it would be the preferrable Option imo.

Simbo

I can't help but feel we've got at least 3 more seasons of letting De Gea do whatever the feck he wants before we've paid our debts.

acnumber9

The more I watch him the more I’m convinced those calling for him to start for United haven’t watched him play. That is shocking.

Wayne's World

He is nowhere near ready to take over. Don't be listening to these pundits trying to force to take over from De Gea. Not mentally ready to take over such a pressure role at United

Nickelodeon

If he were some other clubs player, we’ll be calling him a good but typical hyped up English player. I can imagine that some people want De Gea gone, but to consider Henderson clearly better is ludicrous.

In fact, if we get 40 plus million offers for him, I’d be happy to take and invest in other areas of the squad. When a GK situation arises for us, we can buy on the basis of merit and not because he’s here already.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The more I watch him the more I’m convinced those calling for him to start for United haven’t watched him play. That is shocking.
100% agree. United fans tend do do this. Tuanzebe, Gomes, Williams....when our first team player has a bad game or two, answer is some young player who is apparently world class in making.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah no

As I've said before if he weren't English and on loan from us no one would be talking about him

Dante

Average bang
If he were some other clubs player, we’ll be calling him a good but typical hyped up English player. I can imagine that some people want De Gea gone, but to consider Henderson clearly better is ludicrous.
Fun fact: Dean Henderson is linked with Manchester United because he's a Manchester United player.

PoTMS

He does make some mistakes but nowhere near enough as our Dave. No one said he's the finished article but he's a sensational keeping talent whose shown himself to be already one of the best GKs in the league this season. Funny how so many are willing to dig out a 22 year old youngster.

Charles89

That was pretty bad, there was absolutely no reason for him to come out, SU had numbers in the box, if he had stayed on his line, they probably wouldn't have conceived that goal.

Dante

Average bang
Christ. The anti-English brigade is out in full force. His Englishness isn't why he's linked with Manchester United. Some of you lot can't wait to bring your own nationalist biases into the conversation.

Poor goal to concede, though.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Made an error but it doesn’t take away from the fantastic season he’s had.
He’s still young and has a lot to learn, but he has loads of potential.

FujiVice

22 year old, with bags of potential, playing for a side who have no right to be in the top 7. So obviously people are going to get on his case.

The Real Treble 99

DDG will always be No.1 & Romero No.2 that’s it. We don’t need anyone else & IMO we have the best pair of keepers in world football.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I will repeat ( the criticisers can come up with irrelevant xGA & xG stats )

He is not ready. SFU offers him more protection and he would be bloody brilliant in that setup. Let him continue his development on loan ( preferably with a different team next year. We still dont know if he has what to take over united

And to people who said he is better than DDG :lol:

Stretender

I believe most people on here talk up players without actually seeing them perform. I laugh when people believe in hype job reports on British players in the Sun or Daily Mail. I would go on to say Henderson is worse than Jordan Pickford. People thinking he is better than DeGea are crazy. If United had any money to spend I would not even invest it in a goalkeeper in the next 2 years, there are more deserving area in the squad that need upgrading than the goalkeeper situation. A defender and a striker is needed most in this team because a DeGea performing at 70 percent is ok if on the other end of the pitch you have Harry Kane, Sancho and Grealish doing the damage.

vodrake

Good prospect whose current level is being massively hyped up by a defensive SU side and a group of United fans who look for any excuse to shit on our current players

Nickelodeon

Christ. The anti-English brigade is out in full force. His Englishness isn't why he's linked with Manchester United. Some of you lot can't wait to bring your own nationalist biases into the conversation.

It is the hypocrisy that is being called out here. If De Gea makes an error, people want him out because we apparently have an obvious first choice ready when he is clearly not. People rush to justify Henderson’s mistakes but refuse to do the same for De Gea who has more than earned that.

And with regards to your careless nationalism based comments, are you actually refuting the fact that English players are overhyped and overpriced in the Premier League?

DuruttiColumn

Henderson is simply not ready.
This

and when he is ready, he can take over from DeG, but there should be no rush to get him in the team. If he was owned by Shef U and qualified for Belgium, you wouldn’t hear anything about him

RashyForPM

Don’t give up on Dean just yet. As Ole and Wilder have said numerous times, he still has a lot to learn. However, it was a horrendous mistake and something which for all his current faults, De Gea would never make as he is immaculate with his legs.

For me, give Henderson one more season on loan at Sheffield and let him continue his development. There is an obvious first choice United keeper in there, but Wilder and then Ole have a lot of work to do to bring it out, as he is currently nowhere near ready. 2021-22 at the earliest.

Paul_Scholes18

De Gea has been even worse though recently. Henderson has a better season. Although not sure how he would function for us with higher pressure.

Statue of Limitations

I completely disagree with this.
DDG is a legend and Henderson has had one good season.

DDG with a more settled defence in front of him next year will get back to his best I'm sure.

Henderson for the cups maybe if not on loan again. He is still young, no harm in one more year.

Ace of Spades

Still think he needs a season or two more before he is ready. Still has a lot to learn.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He does make some mistakes but nowhere near enough as our Dave. No one said he's the finished article but he's a sensational keeping talent whose shown himself to be already one of the best GKs in the league this season. Funny how so many are willing to dig out a 22 year old youngster.
I am not one to dig him out, I think he's a proper talent and I am optimistic about his future, I do think its premature to be talking about him as our number one though.

Its a very different thing to play for Man Utd and to play for Sheffield United. At Sheffield United you can make mistakes, nobody expects perfection. At Man Utd if you make one mistake expect it to be analysed, replayed, discussed at length, be the focus of opinion pieces and columns etc. Its a whole different level of pressure and, for a keeper, who cannot hide behind team performances, it can be shattering. Ben Foster has spoken about it. Plus, we all remember how hard David De Gea found it when he was signed as a young goalie. You can make a case that De Gea is struggling now under the spotlight too.

If we made Henderson our number one he would be under immense pressure, which would be added to by it being at the expense of someone who has been our player of the season many times. The first time he flapped at a cross, got beat at his near post, let a ball go loose etc he would be slaughtered. It takes a lot to deal with being Man Utd goalkeeper, we saw that after Big Pete retired and we've been lucky that DeGea has given it a really good go.

Generally speaking (and maybe I'm just bruised by the memory of the Tim Howard and Roy Carroll jobshare era) I prefer an older goalie, like what Van der Sar was when we signed him. Someone who has been around the block, has a lot of experience and will be better set mentally to cope with the pressure that comes with being United keeper. I think Henderson needs to spend a bit more time in the oven before he's ready to be talked about as United number one.

Backrow Singer

He‘s playing his first year of Premier League football don‘t forget. Mistakes are going to happen.

He’s an excellent young goal keeper but he’s still learning. All keepers make mistakes. He’s still young and is still developing but he’s shown enough signs to suggest that he’ll have a top career in the game. If he keeps working hard, those mistakes will become less frequent.

He doesn’t have to replace De Gea next season. If he keeps improving, there’s a good chance he will somewhere down the line.

Dante

Average bang
It is the hypocrisy that is being called out here. If De Gea makes an error, people want him out because we apparently have an obvious first choice ready when he is clearly not. People rush to justify Henderson’s mistakes but refuse to do the same for De Gea who has more than earned that.

And with regards to your careless nationalism based comments, are you actually refuting the fact that English players are overhyped and overpriced in the Premier League?
You're overrating De Gea because he's Spanish.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
De Gea has been even worse though recently. Henderson has a better season. Although not sure how he would function for us with higher pressure.
He really hasn't. De gea has more talent on his pinky than Henderson.

Henderson is hyped because he is English. If he was colombian or ecuadorian no one would even bat an eye at comparing DDG to henderson.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's had a great season but people forget that he's playing for SHU- it's just not the same pressure. His shot stopping is as good as anyone, but other areas of his game need improvement.

He needs to go on loan to a team that actually play out from the game. He can't use the weaker foot at all and if pressed, I'm not sure how composure would be while making that short pass. Add to that, his performances aren't scrutinized like we scrutinize performances of our players. Every wrong step, turn, pass and we heard moans from our fans.

If it were up to me, I'd probably loan him out to a club like Ajax - if Onana leaves them or to a BuLi club as quite a few teams build attacks from the back rather than SHU

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

That is cheap shot. And rubbish argument. I heard it many times this season and it became easiest answer for truth which people like you don't want to hear.
English players are overhyped and protected especially around our club. Maybe it is good thing and something what improves English football in some way, i will not dispute that, but it is something what is the truth.
Henderson is not half of gk as De Gea is and i doubt that he is even better than Romero. Jones and Lingard would have been released long time ago if they are not English. Harry and AWB would be much cheaper. And so on...

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
This guy loses his mind playing for Sheffield. Imagine if puts on the United shirt in a semi final of the champions league. This guy would be shitting bricks. Sell this guy. He's not good enough. Simple as that.

Dante

Average bang
That is cheap shot. And rubbish argument. I heard it many times this season and it became easiest answer for truth which people like you don't want to hear.
English player are overhyped and protected especially around our club. Maybe it is good thing and something what improves English football in some way, i will not dispute that, but it is something what is the truth.
Henderson is not half of gk as De Gea is and i doubt that he is even better than Romero. Jones and Lingard would have been released long time ago if they are not English. Harry and AWB would be much cheaper. And so on...
Stop generalising.

Treat human beings on their own merits.

Race and nationality shouldn't come into it.