Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters
Was looking forward to watching him today. Don’t think he had a save to make. Could have had Fred The Red in goal for them today and it would have made no difference.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Shockingly, it's possible for two players to make a mistake in the same move.

Maguire should obviously have done better, but it doesn't excuse De Gea making another mistake. Again. Like he has been for nigh on two seasons. I'm not sure how anyone can think it's good enough.
They hold onto past performances. They think that because De Gea was great 3 years ago and before he should be allowed to continue playing. Like we owe him or something. With that being said, De Gea will be our keeper next season. Henderson will go back to Sheffield for another season and then take over as our #1 the following season...

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Why is nobody mentioning Romero?

Personally he's finished the highest rated goalkeeper in my match day ratings for the past 3 seasons in a row.

I'd have no problem with Romero being our number one for a season and if it didn't work then bring in Henderson or another GK.

If Dave the wanker wants to go back to Madrid so much sell him to Atletico with a swap deal for Oblak who has said he has eyes on England previously. Easy work.
Dave the wanker? Seriously? Grow up.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He did well vs Chelsea, nothing to save but he was available for CBs and made couple of clearances. Chelsea went for direct passes few times and he read it well.

hmchan

Great command in the box. Read the danger well, came off his line a few times and made a great header. Seldom see de Gea do the same, but still he will remain as our no. 1 until his contract runs out and it's naive to think Henderson could take over in the next season or two.

Mindhunter

Great command in the box. Read the danger well, came off his line a few times and made a great header. Seldom see de Gea do the same, but still he will remain as our no. 1 until his contract runs out and it's naive to think Henderson could take over in the next season or two.
Why so? The same was said about Sanchez yet here we are. If DDG doesn't improve his performances, I don't see OGS being patient with him. He has shown a ruthless streak in cutting out underperforms after giving them time to shine.

DDG won't be in the first eleven simply because his wage is high.

ruskyline

And why is it naive? We can find buyers for DDG in summer and keep Heno.

The Red Thinker

Whoever our next keeper is, he will have to be good with his feet. We are playing out from the back and for that you need someone with decent feet.

I don't know Hendo has that side of his game. I know the Blades don't play that way but all I see is Henderson booting the ball to kingdom come every time.

Henderson has a very traditional style of goalkeeping. The way he moves, jumps, handles et al. Nothing wrong with it, but it does suggest he'll be less adept with his feet. I don't want to see any youtube compilations of his passing as I can give you the same of DDG.

Any Blades fans here who can shine a light?

hmchan

Why so? The same was said about Sanchez yet here we are. If DDG doesn't improve his performances, I don't see OGS being patient with him. He has shown a ruthless streak in cutting out underperforms after giving them time to shine.

DDG won't be in the first eleven simply because his wage is high.
Ole has shown a ruthless streak in cutting out underperformers, everyone but de Gea. Given his repeated errors and terrible form towards the end of last season, Ole still refused to drop him and chose to stick with him.

hmchan

What the feck is this obsession with increasing the age of players here?

He is 29.
I mean 2 years later, as I said "in the next season or two" in the post #1007, and many said Henderson should go out on loan for another season and come back after 2 years. Sorry for the confusion though.

hmchan

Who cares about his salary? If let's say we get 70 million for him, we can just give DDG portion of it to buy him out. DDG is worth 70 million and a 2nd chance at a big club.
Here comes the naivety I suppose. No one but United fans who live in the past thinks de Gea is worth 70m anymore. To most other people, he's just another average keeper in the league who is worth nothing more than Pope, Schmeichel, Fabianski etc. There has been no club showing interest in him since Courtois' transfer to Real and I highly doubt he'll get a 2nd chance with his current performance.

ruskyline

Here comes the naivety I suppose. No one but United fans who live in the past thinks de Gea is worth 70m anymore. To most other people, he's just another average keeper in the league who is worth nothing more than Pope, Schmeichel, Fabianski etc. There has been no club showing interest in him since Courtois' transfer to Real and I highly doubt he'll get a 2nd chance with his current performance.
Joe got his 2nd chance in EPL, why can't we expect that for DDG?

In Rainbows

He's not saying DDG won't get a second chance. He's saying that for that price, nobody will buy him unless United sell him for really cheap. A buyer must negotiate/convince the club and player. A player isn't going to take a paycut, which means the buying club will look to offset those costs via a reduced transfer fee.

hmchan

First you said 2nd chance at a big club initially, is Burnley a big club? Second Hart wasn't on a ridiculous contract, that's why he was much easier to get rid of. Paying 3.5m to cover for two injured keepers and gambling 70m on a 30 yo declining keeper are two different scenarios. They are barely comparable.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The fact that we have a really solid second choice keeper in Romero makes me think we should give Henderson a chance. At least if he fails to perform then we know Romero is reliable - hell, just let the two of them duke it out for the #1 jersey.

Web of Bissaka

Isn't it better if we let Dean vs DDG next season for the #1?

Instead of spoon-feeding Dean giving easy way to be the GK. Even Rash, Will and Green win places in the starting 11 with their performances in our shirt, no royal treatment.

De Gea isn't the type that make problems to the club if he's getting dropped to #2. I'm sure if Ole told him honestly about it, he'll be fine. Even Young is fine when Will is ahead of him (if I remember right). Both of them are good professionals.

Basically give the few games at the start to Dean to impress for around 3-5 games and then if he's doing well, continue for another 5 games, and so on. If he fail, we simply revert back to DDG and Dean can continue further on loan asap.

Seriously, are we wanting to win next season or not?

If he pass, De Gea can start looking for new clubs. He wanted to return back to Spain at some point what I recall nearest to Madrid (the place, not necessarily the club Real).

Ideally if we get the best sudden time/chance for this eg. similar to the Foster and VDS situation where VDS gets injured IIRC. De Gea could take a few weeks break while basically justifying the "drop" and keeping those expected annoying pressure from media and social media.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Meanwhile on other thread, criticizing Lingard caused so much uproar. Because apparently he's a good human being.
The amount of disrespect De Gea has been getting is disgusting.
It's almost like being a twat to players because they aren't as good a footballer as you want them to be is a bad thing.

georgipep

They hold onto past performances. They think that because De Gea was great 3 years ago and before he should be allowed to continue playing. Like we owe him or something. With that being said, De Gea will be our keeper next season. Henderson will go back to Sheffield for another season and then take over as our #1 the following season...
Even if there is a clear desire from Ole to put Henderson in goal there is a very important question to answer first: where does De Gea go? I hope no one believes he can be our reserve keeper, being the highest earner in the squad. Not many teams need new keepers right now and especially when they would cost a fortune.

Until there is a clear exit strategy for De Gea the Henderson question will remain a hypothetical one. And on top of that, why are people so certain that Dean will be better than David? I'm not saying he won't be but what if isn't? We would have sold our 4-times Player of the Year winner and then ruin the confidence and possibly the career of Henderson. Not the easiest decision to make.

Now with poll

UncleBob

Isn't it better if we let Dean vs DDG next season for the #1?

Instead of spoon-feeding Dean giving easy way to be the GK. Even Rash, Will and Green win places in the starting 11 with their performances in our shirt, no royal treatment.

De Gea isn't the type that make problems to the club if he's getting dropped to #2. I'm sure if Ole told him honestly about it, he'll be fine. Even Young is fine when Will is ahead of him (if I remember right). Both of them are good professionals.

Basically give the few games at the start to Dean to impress for around 3-5 games and then if he's doing well, continue for another 5 games, and so on. If he fail, we simply revert back to DDG and Dean can continue further on loan asap.

Seriously, are we wanting to win next season or not?

If he pass, De Gea can start looking for new clubs. He wanted to return back to Spain at some point what I recall nearest to Madrid (the place, not necessarily the club Real).

Ideally if we get the best sudden time/chance for this eg. similar to the Foster and VDS situation where VDS gets injured IIRC. De Gea could take a few weeks break while basically justifying the "drop" and keeping those expected annoying pressure from media and social media.
No.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
What happens if he's playing for United and drops a clanger in his first game? You people going to be so confident Henderson can just walk into Uniteds first team and not buckle under pressure? For me it's way to soon. It's a romantic notion but playing well for Sheffield United isn't playing well for United - enough to the point we write off De Gea. It could be a strategic move but not seeing how it benefits us or assures us or anything.

The people who should be under pressure are his coaches. I thought he looked more awake last game. Lets hope he can wake up because he's 29.....Seems sanchez has made it a 'thing' to write people off young or this kind of age ...but let's wait and see. I think his defenders could help him more at times. Mistakes will happen but hopefully the coaches are working with him on the basics

Last edited:

keithsingleton

I still believe he deserves to be No1 at the moment, too many fans forget he carried us for two years when he was the official No1 in the world. Hopefully those times will come back.

Thepinhead

1 more year with de Gea. He deserves to have one last chance to win a major trophy for sticking with us. Be honest with him about it as well, that he can stay and fight for the place or go to spain, or what ever he wants, after that.

wolvored

Who cares about his salary? If let's say we get 70 million for him, we can just give DDG portion of it to buy him out. DDG is worth 70 million and a 2nd chance at a big club.
Who will pay £70mil for a goalie who is declining?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
We'll have De Gea until 2023, no one will buy him and pay him what we're paying him, and bringing in yet another goalkeeper without moving De Gea on would be daft.
I'd stick with De Gea for another season at least and then give Henderson his chance.

Idxomer

Whoever our next keeper is, he will have to be good with his feet. We are playing out from the back and for that you need someone with decent feet.

I don't know Hendo has that side of his game. I know the Blades don't play that way but all I see is Henderson booting the ball to kingdom come every time.

Henderson has a very traditional style of goalkeeping. The way he moves, jumps, handles et al. Nothing wrong with it, but it does suggest he'll be less adept with his feet. I don't want to see any youtube compilations of his passing as I can give you the same of DDG.

Any Blades fans here who can shine a light?
That's also my biggest worry with him.

De Gea hasn't actually been bad with his feet this season, it's the only area where you could see some improvement in his game.

Motorman

The way I see it, De Gea next season. Then bring Henderson in the year after and slowly bring into the fold with cup games etc.

There is no need to just jump straight into the fold, he needs to learn the club, training with the players and get game time to impress. Once a season of that and he does well, then perhaps he can stake a claim.

Obviously De Gea needs to continue playing well to keep Henderson out the team.

ruskyline

We'll have De Gea until 2023, no one will buy him and pay him what we're paying him, and bringing in yet another goalkeeper without moving De Gea on would be daft.
I'd stick with De Gea for another season at least and then give Henderson his chance.
We should just eat the cost and make the best decision for us to win games!!!!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Even if there is a clear desire from Ole to put Henderson in goal there is a very important question to answer first: where does De Gea go? I hope no one believes he can be our reserve keeper, being the highest earner in the squad. Not many teams need new keepers right now and especially when they would cost a fortune.

Until there is a clear exit strategy for De Gea the Henderson question will remain a hypothetical one. And on top of that, why are people so certain that Dean will be better than David? I'm not saying he won't be but what if isn't? We would have sold our 4-times Player of the Year winner and then ruin the confidence and possibly the career of Henderson. Not the easiest decision to make.
COmpletely agree. The only possible teams I can see him going to are Juve, Inter (they seem to love our players) and possibly PSG, mind you they just signed Navas...

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
We should just eat the cost and make the best decision for us to win games!!!!
"Eating the cost" in this case is silly, we have a lot of things to spend money on that is more important than the keeper spot at the moment and the cost to the squad happiness would be unwanted as well.
If Henderson was far superior you could have had a case, but I've seen nothing that indicates that he is.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I still believe he deserves to be No1 at the moment, too many fans forget he carried us for two years when he was the official No1 in the world. Hopefully those times will come back.
Not so fast there mr singleton. Those times DDG was playing lights out was because of our woeful defensive back four/five, where shots were coming at DDG nonstop. Hypothetically if we still had that level of defense, we’d be singing his praises far more. Otherwise I agree with you.

lysglimt

Scout
Henderson to Sheffield U for one more season - and after that OGS should make a decision, we either take him back with the serious intention of making him first-team goalkeeper - or we sell him as his value is too high to be on loan until the end of time. Even in todays climate we can probably get £40-50 million for him - and that is too much Money for a player not playing. Especally as I am not convinced that he is good enough to be our first team goalkeeper. He is a big talent - but imo a DDG with the odd mistake is still better than Henderson as he makes a lot more "impossible saves". But give Henderson one more season to develop before making a decision.

Henderson to Sheffield U for one more season - and after that OGS should make a decision, we either take him back with the serious intention of making him first-team goalkeeper - or we sell him as his value is too high to be on loan until the end of time. Even in todays climate we can probably get £40-50 million for him - and that is too much Money for a player not playing. Especally as I am not convinced that he is good enough to be our first team goalkeeper. He is a big talent - but imo a DDG with the odd mistake is still better than Henderson as he makes a lot more "impossible saves". But give Henderson one more season to develop before making a decision.
There’s less competition at international level. Hopefully Southgate gives him a chance, and there’s a good chance he’s England’s keeper at the Euros next year, that will be a really good indicator to see if he’s ready to step up at United.