Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Rooney1987

That is why we are shit in outgoing transfers. We can't tell when is right time to sell a player.
We have De gea. I will not argue with you about who is better. You think he is in decline and for me DDG is still among the best gk (who has little average season but every player does) and as i said, he is now in best gk age. Why to keep Henderson next 2 or 3 or 5 years as no2?
English, good gk, young....it is at least 50 or even 60 mil which we can invest in other players.

It is nothing personal towards him. Just objective thinking.
Been playing too much footy manager if you think we’re getting 60million for Henderson.

The problem with many United fans is that they overrate youth players and that solution for every position is academy player. Not to mention that they want to replace a player as soon as his form drops.
When new player comes he is world class then after two seasons it is "boring" to watch him anymore. "Give me new shiny toy".
De Gea form hasn’t just dropped it’s not been great since the 2018 World Cup. It’s not just a few bad games. But he deserves a chance to get back his form with us but if he has another season with mistakes might be time to move on.

Henderson has been far from average. I’m not suggesting he’s ready to be our no1 now maybe another year in PL. Fact is he’s has been very good this season in his debut season arguably one of the better keepers in the league.

Red00012

Don't understand why Romero's getting overlooked. He's miles better than Henderson. Henderson's just become fashionable in his United absence and because Sheffield United have had a great season. He'd probably have a few world class games then get hammered by the United fans after a few defeats.

He's better off staying where he is and getting a first team run in Europe with Sheffield United next season.
He’s not Better than Henderson . Romero plays League Cup games and EL games , granted he’s a good record in those plays but most of the time he’s playing dross.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Some interesting takes here. He's Alexis #2. We should get rid and sign Pope.

:rolleyes:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He’s not Better than Henderson . Romero plays League Cup games and EL games , granted he’s a good record in those plays but most of the time he’s playing dross.
I wouldn't exactly call winning the Europa League dross and Henderson's just the flavour of the month. I don't know on what basis you reckon Henderson is better than Romero but everybody is entitled to their opinion. Romero is Argentina's most capped goalkeeper in their history I believe, even whilst as United's #2. I think you probably need to show him a bit more respect. Henderson is probably England 3rd choice behind Pickford and Pope. There's a lot of romanticism around Henderson and United fans in particular are just getting sucked into it. There's absolutely no evidence that he would automatically be a success as United #1. Romero has a shitload of clean sheets and not all against dross as you put it and which all keepers come up against every season anyway so I don't know what point you're trying to make by saying that.

Anyway, the important thing is what Solskjaer thinks and there's no way Henderson will be usurping De Gea anytime soon. As I said, Romero is a much better keeper and I would stick him in there without hesitation.

Zambara

He needs to alter his understanding of his role in the team. Less heroics, more unbelievable concentration and readiness, Van der Sar-style.

He's so talented he can make that transition to a different type of keeper.

BulgarianDevil91

I wouldn't exactly call winning the Europa League dross and Henderson's just the flavour of the month. I don't know on what basis you reckon Henderson is better than Romero but everybody is entitled to their opinion. Romero is Argentina's most capped goalkeeper in their history I believe, even whilst as United's #2. I think you probably need to show him a bit more respect. Henderson is probably England 3rd choice behind Pickford and Pope. There's a lot of romanticism around Henderson and United fans in particular are just getting sucked into it. There's absolutely no evidence that he would automatically be a success as United #1. Romero has a shitload of clean sheets and not all against dross as you put it and which all keepers come up against every season anyway so I don't know what point you're trying to make by saying that.

Anyway, the important thing is what Solskjaer thinks and there's no way Henderson will be usurping De Gea anytime soon. As I said, Romero is a much better keeper and I would stick him in there without hesitation.
The disrespect, and at times hate, Romero gets from our own fans is disturbing. The man would walk in as a starter in probably 16 out of the 20 Prem teams, yet people can't appreciate him. There are very few teams that have such a class backup keeper and we should be thankful he's happy with only being our 2nd choice.

In Rainbows

The problem with many United fans is that they overrate youth players and that solution for every position is academy player. Not to mention that they want to replace a player as soon as his form drops.
When new player comes he is world class then after two seasons it is "boring" to watch him anymore. "Give me new shiny toy".
This is nonsense. You're just making stuff up because people disagree with you. There is no point in selling Henderson right now when we don't know what de Gea we're getting next season. I'm of the opinion that de Gea should be our number 1 next season, but if Henderson outperforms him next season, then why would you stick with de Gea? You want United to be at their best. If you sell Henderson this year, then you remove that option of Henderson vs de Gea and you're pretty much stuck with a bigger gamble in de Gea.

That is why people disagree with you. I don't know why you can't see that. You're being shortsighted.

And I believe we would be shortsighted to just give the position to Henderson for next season too. Give de Gea another chance to succeed, and Henderson another chance to fail. There is no reason to make a decision at the moment. Another year will let us make a better decision. We'll have more evidence of Henderson dealing with PL level scrutiny and ability. We'll have another year of evidence of what de Gea's current level is.

There is no need for this when both talents are United contractually.

Simmer down chap. At this club there's no room for sentiments and nostalgia as Roy Keane, Jaap Stam, Van Nistelrooy, Beckham etc found out when they were thrown out on their ear once performances slightly dropped.

The Athletic published an article the other day saying there's suspicions from the management that De Gea's not pushing himself like he used to. De Gea is earning double what the City and Liverpool keepers earn yet they are completely outperforming him. He's the world's highest paid keeper who cost us a CL place last season with consistent mistakes.

De Gea is a legend and I've no doubt he'll still be here next season and will find his form. But if he doesn't find his form and ends up doing an Ozil/Alexis, by losing the hunger to be the best once the ink is dry on his final mega contract, then big decisions will have to be made.
There's a difference between being cutthroat in regards to replacing someone and then saying "a vastly overpaid pampered star who has lost the desire to be the best." He was objecting to the latter, not the former.

Champagne Football

This is nonsense. You're just making stuff up because people disagree with you. There is no point in selling Henderson right now when we don't know what de Gea we're getting next season. I'm of the opinion that de Gea should be our number 1 next season, but if Henderson outperforms him next season, then why would you stick with de Gea? You want United to be at their best. If you sell Henderson this year, then you remove that option of Henderson vs de Gea and you're pretty much stuck with a bigger gamble in de Gea.

That is why people disagree with you. I don't know why you can't see that. You're being shortsighted.

And I believe we would be shortsighted to just give the position to Henderson for next season too. Give de Gea another chance to succeed, and Henderson another chance to fail. There is no reason to make a decision at the moment. Another year will let us make a better decision. We'll have more evidence of Henderson dealing with PL level scrutiny and ability. We'll have another year of evidence of what de Gea's current level is.

There is no need for this when both talents are United contractually.

There's a difference between being cutthroat in regards to replacing someone and then saying "a vastly overpaid pampered star who has lost the desire to be the best." He was objecting to the latter, not the former.
I was just paraphrasing what was insinuated in an article in The Athletic a few days before.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The disrespect, and at times hate, Romero gets from our own fans is disturbing. The man would walk in as a starter in probably 16 out of the 20 Prem teams, yet people can't appreciate him. There are very few teams that have such a class backup keeper and we should be thankful he's happy with only being our 2nd choice.
Completely agree. You have to question the mentality of some people as they just can't appreciate what we have. He's the best #2 we've ever had and managed to nail down the Argentina #1 spot for just under 10 years. Imagine the players he would have been playing with during that time. He's still got at least another 5 good years in him.

Comparing him with Henderson.is just ridiculous. I hope they renew his contract next year.

freeurmind

weak willed
I've been more critical than DDG than most on here but I don't think Henderson is quite ready yet and De Gea deserves another year to prove he's still got it to be the starting keeper for a top side. That and we are paying him a boatload of money. And even if we wanted to sell him, who would take him? Most of the big clubs seem sorted in the goalkeeping department for now. I say De Gea stays as number one next season with Hendo as the cup goalie and putting pressure on him for that spot.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I've been more critical than DDG than most on here but I don't think Henderson is quite ready yet and De Gea deserves another year to prove he's still got it to be the starting keeper for a top side. That and we are paying him a boatload of money. And even if we wanted to sell him, who would take him? Most of the big clubs seem sorted in the goalkeeping department for now. I say De Gea stays as number one next season with Hendo as the cup goalie and putting pressure on him for that spot.
Pope looked ahead of DH from what i saw of the Liverpool game

Kostov

I've voted for Henderson, and I love DDG. In my opinion, next season we need to make it work like when Barca brought in Ter Stegen, or Chelsea Courtois, while having GK like Bravo and Cech still at the club. They made the transition smooth and we should try and make it happen.

Red00012

It’s all down to opinion . My opinion is he’ll never be number for 1 for Utd whereas Henderson will be. Granted Romero is a decent back up but that’s what he is.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De Gea was one of the best gk in the world for 6,7 years. Last two seasons he is not in De god mod and he does some mistakes but he is still pretty good overall. Gk hit their peak when they are 30. He will be 30 next season. So why some of you think that he will not again be at his best?

You would think that we have declined player (like Rooney was for example) while having top wonderkid on the bench (like Greenwood is).

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It’s all down to opinion . My opinion is he’ll never be number for 1 for Utd whereas Henderson will be. Granted Romero is a decent back up but that’s what he is.
Yeah I said it's all about opinion and at the end of the day it's the manager's that counts so only time will tell. I was just putting the full picture out there about Romero's status rather than you just painting him as a cup keeper. I doubt whether Henderson would be England's first choice for 9 years let alone at United. Being part of a decent Sheffield United team (going through a classic first wonder season) is no barometer for performing week in, week out at United. I'll be very surprised if Ole takes him.

You want us to install as our #1 a keeper who is not even as good as the keepers playing for Everton and Burnley?? Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

CM10

It's genuinely a tough call to make. I'd be inclined to stick with de Gea for another season unless he drops multiple clangers for the remainder of the season. If we can get him back to his best (or even somewhere close to it) nobody else can touch him.

The times I've seen Henderson he has looked good but I still feel he could benefit from another season on loan to iron out the flaws in his game, especially if Sheffield United get European football next season. I think we'll have a more conclusive answer on whether or not de Gea's time is up by then, it just depends on whether Henderson is prepared to wait that long.

freeurmind

weak willed
Pope looked ahead of DH from what i saw of the Liverpool game
But you'd be looking at, at least 60-70 million for him which makes no sense when we have 3 solid keepers. I do agree though that right now Pope is better than Henderson.

hmchan

Yes, that's a problem with many United fans too. I'm also pessimistic towards those youth players and I always argue when people think Gomes, Garner, Mengi and Mejbri are the solutions. They have never played at senior level, let alone proven themselves to be better than the first team option.

Henderson, however, is a totally different situation. He has been out on loan for two years and he won a Golden Glove along with Sheffield's promotion last year. This year he keeps delivering good performances in the top tier and outperforms de Gea in every aspect in terms of both statistics and performances.

People want de Gea out not because he is boring to watch, but because he is terrible to watch. In fact, they have already been exceptionally patient and tolerant with his repeated errors and mediocre performances given his past contributions. When you have a free shiny new toy, why not replace the old, broken, malfunctioning one?

Red00012

Yeah I said it's all about opinion and at the end of the day it's the manager's that counts so only time will tell. I was just putting the full picture out there about Romero's status rather than you just painting him as a cup keeper. I doubt whether Henderson would be England's first choice for 9 years let alone at United. Being part of a decent Sheffield United team (going through a classic first wonder season) is no barometer for performing week in, week out at United. I'll be very surprised if Ole takes him.

You want us to install as our #1 a keeper who is not even as good as the keepers playing for Everton and Burnley?? Yeah that makes a lot of sense.
No I’ve already said on the thread I’d have DDG as our number 1.

Nikelesh Reddy

Good to see an overwhelming majority of supporters still standing firmly behind David.I think this whole talk of making Henderson our number 1 for next season is just a load of nonsense....I have no doubt in my mind that David will be back to his best soon...

In Rainbows

De Gea was one of the best gk in the world for 6,7 years. Last two seasons he is not in De god mod and he does some mistakes but he is still pretty good overall. Gk hit their peak when they are 30. He will be 30 next season. So why some of you think that he will not again be at his best?

You would think that we have declined player (like Rooney was for example) while having top wonderkid on the bench (like Greenwood is).
I mean, it's certainly possible de Gea gets back to his best. It's de Gea so someone of his talent can do it. However, if he doesn't after next season surely you need to consider an in house option (Henderson). It's why I believe waiting another year to make a decision makes the most sense for us as a club.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I mean, it's certainly possible de Gea gets back to his best. It's de Gea so someone of his talent can do it. However, if he doesn't after next season surely you need to consider an in house option (Henderson). It's why I believe waiting another year to make a decision makes the most sense for us as a club.
With that i can agree. If Henderson will be on loan and will not lose on his value. Then next summer we can decide who goes.
My point was that keeping both as no1 and no2 doesn't have sense. Especially Henderson as no2 who can be sold for big money. DDG in his form is solution for next 5 years.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?

But apparently Romero has a knee problem that prevents him playing regularly.

Romero should never be our No. 1. He’s perfect as our back up keeper.

Whether Henderson is good enough, I don’t think anyone knows yet.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
But apparently Romero has a knee problem that prevents him playing regularly.
That was a couple of years back at Russia 2018. I think he's over that now. There hasn't been any clamour to find a replacement and if it was that much of an issue, I doubt whether Henderson would have gone out on loan. Romero's just fine.

Matriac

Good to see an overwhelming majority of supporters still standing firmly behind David.I think this whole talk of making Henderson our number 1 for next season is just a load of nonsense....I have no doubt in my mind that David will be back to his best soon...
I think the majority of users on here believe the measured decision is to keep backing your main keeper, especially when he has been so good over so many years before. That they have faith he can return to at least a similar level. But see no reason to engage in conversations about swapping him out, rather their voice be heard via a vote.
While some will get knee-jerk emotions about replacing him when David makes a few mistakes, I don't think they are really watching that many SU games to know for certain that Dean wouldn't make similar mistakes.

Dean seems like an excellent prospect, I hope gets another season in SU or another club, that gets a shot at starting for England and see where it goes.
But as things stand, David is still a really good keeper, and he has a contract running for many years with a high expenditure for us. There is no logical reason to replace David with someone who at the moment seems to be at best about the same level of quality.

romufc

Sense has prevailed at the Caf.. who would have thought?

It is good to see loyalty to one of our best performing players for the last 7 years.

Henderson will be United no.1 but not next season. DDG still has alot to offer.

Mr. Ant

I'd give DDG one more season and let Henderson stay at Sheffield one more year.

He may be a very good goalkeeper already but playing for United is on another level when it comes to pressure.

Number of good keepers came to us and the pressure got to them.

fps

He may be a very good goalkeeper already but playing for United is on another level when it comes to pressure.

Ben Foster was going to be brilliant wasn't he. Very good goalie but struggled with the scrutiny. We need to give Henderson time to learn what he's doing and to check he has consistency. DeGea is clearly United's best goalkeeping option for next season.

Mr. Ant

Ben Foster was going to be brilliant wasn't he. Very good goalie but struggled with the scrutiny. We need to give Henderson time to learn what he's doing and to check he has consistency. DeGea is clearly United's best goalkeeping option for next season.
Foster, Howard and Barthez were all very good goalkeepers and you can argue that pressure was the reason why it didn't work out for them here and I don't want to see Henderson struggle as well. His time will come I'm sure.

SAFMUTD

On the long run it should be Henderson, but he still got a lot to prove. If he wasnt homegrown there wouldnt be half the excitement there is for him in this forum.

Watching him at Sheffield he obviously has the potential to be a starter at a top club but he also makes some mistakes that dont get highlighted because of the exposure of the club he plays with.

Just the last match against Chelsea that shot that he spitted out to the center of the box he was real lucky that no striker was there or it would had been a gifted goal.

At the moment even with De Gea's being mistake prone he's the better choice so we should stick with him.

padzilla

Hipster
The issue isn't that De Gea needs replaced, he clearly isn't anywhere near as good as he was, it's whether Henderson is the man for the job. Plus if we buy another keeper we have De Gea on a ridiculous contract that doesn't run out for years adding to the wage bill.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I shall bookmark this thread for when the Caf is calling him out every week for not being very good.

hmchan

How does Henderson staying at Sheffield for one more year help though? He may keep delivering great performances for years but still no one would take it serious, just because people could always argue there's no pressure or he's protected by a defensive system. These points are undebatable as long as he's out on loan, unless Sheffield suddenly changes into a tikitaka side and manages to get into the CL final so that Henderson can feel some pressure. You can't get a job because you have no relevant experience; you don't have experience because you can't get a job.

Mr. Ant

How does Henderson staying at Sheffield for one more year help though? He may keep delivering great performances for years but still no one would take it serious, just because people could always argue there's no pressure or he's protected by a defensive system. These points are undebatable as long as he's out on loan, unless Sheffield suddenly changes into a tikitaka side and manages to get into the CL final so that Henderson can feel some pressure. You can't get a job because you have no relevant experience; you don't have experience because you can't get a job.
I understand your point but for now David is the best choice.

If next season his performances drop even further and Henderson has another good season then we should give him a chance. Another season playing in the PL won't hurt him either.

hmchan

See? Competition is nonexistent, not even when howlers were kept being made. Can't imagine someone still believe de Gea and Henderson could coexist in the same team and fight for their place.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I think the majority of users on here believe the measured decision is to keep backing your main keeper, especially when he has been so good over so many years before. That they have faith he can return to at least a similar level. But see no reason to engage in conversations about swapping him out, rather their voice be heard via a vote.
While some will get knee-jerk emotions about replacing him when David makes a few mistakes, I don't think they are really watching that many SU games to know for certain that Dean wouldn't make similar mistakes.

Dean seems like an excellent prospect, I hope gets another season in SU or another club, that gets a shot at starting for England and see where it goes.
But as things stand, David is still a really good keeper, and he has a contract running for many years with a high expenditure for us. There is no logical reason to replace David with someone who at the moment seems to be at best about the same level of quality.
Fans reacting negatively to two full seasons of awful performances, starting with what was statistically the worst ever performance by a goalkeeper in world cup history, is hardly knee-jerk.