Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

croadyman

He really cant be any worse than de gea, de gea has cost us big time over two seasons now and wouldn't put it past him to screw up in our last two games.

He breeds no confidence in our backline.
Yeah neither would I and that is so worrying with how big these two games are for next season.

Would only take us slipping a goal behind against West Ham and make no mistake panic could well set in again.

croadyman

They were definitely all mistakes but he's been poor also, look at the Bournemouth game, getting beat at his near post easily.
If Ole keeps on being sentimental towards DDG we could undo all this good work of last few months in next two games

I hate to compare us to that lot down the East Lancs but the situation is looking similar to them with Karius.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Depends whether we think he’s ready?

Ideally, you think we want to see him be more tested. Would be good to see him at international level.

It would be a risk to put him in as no. 1.

Would we go with him and DDG fighting it out next season?

Clearly If we went for a more established no 1 this summer then Henderson has no future and would need to be sold.

It’s a dilemma that I think the club wanted next summer at the earliest.
Where do you have Romero in all of this?

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
DeGea’s problem is that he plays behind an average defence and has done for 7 years. He pulls off a string of World Class saves because he has to in most games. Eventually, he gets caught out and commits a few howlers. He isn't up to the standards of Alison or Ederson, but he’s head and shoulders above anything else we have. I’m sorry, but Maguire is not the answer. Neither is Bailey, Lindelof, Bissaka or Shaw. We need at least two high quality defenders, at which point DeGea would start to look like the player he is again. I wouldn’t mind, but it’s not as if we play open attacking football that leaves the defence exposed. More often than not, particularly against the better teams, we are camped in our own half looking for a breakaway. DeGea is the highest quality’s player in our defence. He has been for years.

croadyman

don't you think you are being harsh to De Gea? to me he's one of the best in the world and let's not forget that in almost one of two games he makes a world class save and suddenly with one or two lethal errors suddenly he's crap and deserve to leave. C'mon, the guy deserves our support more than ever.

To me the real error was start him in the first place, not by his performance but I think it was kind of rude to Romero, who was the natural choice but Ole made a real mess in this game.
Sorry to say this but no I don't because he has been full of gaffes since that last world cup and it keeps happening at crucial points in the games.

JG3001

Excellent no. 2, and not an option as a no. 1.

I’m not going to try and rank the keepers, as that would be far too difficult. It looks very problematic at the moment.
agreed, but I think Romero has to start these last 2 games. Cannot afford to have a keeper who’s head has gone at the most crucial stage of our season.

It’ll affect our already shaky backline if he starts. I actually think a stint on the bench will be most beneficial for him, as well as the team.

gajender

If we're going down the route of finding a new #1 for the next 4 years +, shouldn't we maybe look more into Hendersons game?

De Gea gets a lot of critique for his ability with his feet, his dealing with crosses and more lately shot stopping

How's Henderson with these?
He is De Gea mk2 he has similar weaknesses as De Gea ,but he is young may be he can work on eliminating those honest opinion he should be loaned out to a different team than Sheffield maybe a team which would aid his development into becoming more rounded and modern keeper. Right now it wouldn't be wise to make him our No 1 he isn't ready nor he is good.

willhse456

If we get a CL place, I would hope we would tell Dean that he is guaranteed to start all CL and cup games, and if he performs well in them then will slowly be integrated as our full number 1.

I think it’s too intense for him to come in straight away, as there would be an incredible level of scrutiny.

Leonzo1

Never seen such a dramatic decline in a GK's abilities. For me DDG was hands down the best keeper in the world between 2013 and 2018 but unfortunately the people who still defend him are delusional.
Ole has to be ruthless once again and he can't keep spouting the "for me Dave is the best keeper in the world" nonsense any longer. A goalkeeper's most important job is to inspire confidence in the team but this guy does the exact opposite, I don't trust him any longer and I'm guessing the players feel the same way.
The man is costing us vital points and trophies on a weekly basis and has to be replaced. Bench him or sell him doesn't really matter but Henderson must be given the #1 next season.
You can sign all the Sancho's in the world but you are going to win feck all with a keeper prone to such mistakes on a regular basis.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
He is De Gea mk2 he has similar weaknesses as De Gea ,but he is young may be he can work on eliminating those honest opinion he should be loaned out to a different team than Sheffield maybe a team which would aid his development into becoming more rounded and modern keeper. Right now it wouldn't be wise to make him our No 1 he isn't ready nor he is good.
I’m curious, which teams do you think would help him develop that at a top level?

eire-red

The way I see it, we have a good goalkeeper in steady decline, and another good goalkeeper who looks to be on an upward trajectory in his career. There are question marks about whether Henderson can mentally deal with being United No. 1. At the moment, it looks like DDG can't so what have we got to lose?

He's lost that agility, but his shot stopping ability is still better then Henderson's, however Henderson's command of his area is much better. It's a trade off between the ridiculous saves DDG pulls off with his feet that no other goalie can vs how many goals will you save having a dominant goalie coming for crosses and corners. Neither are very good distributors of the ball, although I might be judging Henderson a little unfairly considering he's probably told to get it up to McGoldrick and McBurnie as quick as possible.

De Gea reminds me a little of Fernando Torres, always asking 'Can he rediscover form' etc etc. De Gea looks like he's been mentally weaker since the World Cup, and that seemed to be the catalyst for the rot. Very rarely do you see players make a comeback at a later stage in their career, as goalkeepers go, he should be entering his peak years.

GK is so important, our greatest years under SAF have coincided with Schmeichel and VDS in goal. De Gea is a better shot stopper than both, but even if Henderson can bring back some of that leadership and authority into the position, I would say go with him next season. Constantly doubting De Gea and waiting for the next mistake is bound to have an adverse effect on our defense, and only gives the opposition encouragement and puts us under pressure.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
If we get a CL place, I would hope we would tell Dean that he is guaranteed to start all CL and cup games, and if he performs well in them then will slowly be integrated as our full number 1.

I think it’s too intense for him to come in straight away, as there would be an incredible level of scrutiny.
Why would we play our number2 keeper in the Champions League?

We must go into next season with De Gea as number 1, but i would be all for having Henderson as number 2. It makes the situation clear to DDG, he either sorts himself out, or we start to give games to Henderson so we can see if he is ready. Giving him cup games in a Manchester United shirt would be an important first step anyway.

Henderson is like Tuanzebe. Both promising and playing in positions where we could do with improving, but neither have yet shown they are definitely the ones to make that improvement.

croadyman

We must go into next season with De Gea as number 1, but i would be all for having Henderson as number 2. It makes the situation clear to DDG, he either sorts himself out, or we start to give games to Henderson so we can see if he is ready. Giving him cup games in a Manchester United shirt would be an important first step anyway.
God the thought of that really worries me right now

gajender

I’m curious, which teams do you think would help him develop that at a top level?
Nothing against Sheffield but I think he needs to go to a team which would dominate majority of teams in the league where keeper is major part of playing from the back and his concentration level would be tested ,where opposition would consider setpieces as their primary source of scoring due to overall superiority of their opponents against them ,where he would be under greater scrutiny even if happens to be in lesser league it would be better for his overall development .

Last edited:

God the thought of that really worries me right now
There's nothing to suggest Henderson would be any better though. We can't just drop him in and see what happens. De Gea is at least a known quantity and still a very good goalkeeper overall.

The Irish Connection

The way I see it, we have a good goalkeeper in steady decline, and another good goalkeeper who looks to be on an upward trajectory in his career. There are question marks about whether Henderson can mentally deal with being United No. 1. At the moment, it looks like DDG can't so what have we got to lose?

He's lost that agility, but his shot stopping ability is still better then Henderson's, however Henderson's command of his area is much better. It's a trade off between the ridiculous saves DDG pulls off with his feet that no other goalie can vs how many goals will you save having a dominant goalie coming for crosses and corners. Neither are very good distributors of the ball, although I might be judging Henderson a little unfairly considering he's probably told to get it up to McGoldrick and McBurnie as quick as possible.

De Gea reminds me a little of Fernando Torres, always asking 'Can he rediscover form' etc etc. De Gea looks like he's been mentally weaker since the World Cup, and that seemed to be the catalyst for the rot. Very rarely do you see players make a comeback at a later stage in their career, as goalkeepers go, he should be entering his peak years.

GK is so important, our greatest years under SAF have coincided with Schmeichel and VDS in goal. De Gea is a better shot stopper than both, but even if Henderson can bring back some of that leadership and authority into the position, I would say go with him next season. Constantly doubting De Gea and waiting for the next mistake is bound to have an adverse effect on our defense, and only gives the opposition encouragement and puts us under pressure.
Yeah. It’s time to phase de gea out now and give Henderson his chance.
De Gea has always been hesitant under high balls and coming off his line, but now like you say, his agility is on the wane, which was his main talent.
Henderson looks mentally tough and is now fairly experienced. If we could manage to sell de gea, we could reinvest in a top center back to partner maguire, while Henderson would be more commanding of his box.
I would be delighted to see another academy product come through and with all de geas mistakes over the last 18 months or so, it’s time.

croadyman

There's nothing to suggest Henderson would be any better though. We can't just drop him in and see what happens. De Gea is at least a known quantity and still a very good goalkeeper overall.
That is very true about Henderson but he at least deserves an opportunity next season to show what he can do at this club

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Nothing against Sheffield but I think he needs to go to a team which would dominate majority of teams in the league where keeper is major part of playing from the back and his concentration level would be tested ,where opposition would consider setpieces as their primary source of scoring due to overall superiority of their opponents against them ,where he would be under greater scrutiny even if happens to be in lesser league it would be better for his overall development .
I’m asking which teams would you send him to for that development?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Excellent no. 2, and not an option as a no. 1.

I’m not going to try and rank the keepers, as that would be far too difficult. It looks very problematic at the moment.
Yeah, Romero feels like he has a mistake in him too and not sure he commands the box either. It's sucks, given it looked for a while like we had one of the top three keepers tied up long-term. Guess it's taken a lot of us quite a while to accept that we need to start looking.

DeGea’s problem is that he plays behind an average defence and has done for 7 years. He pulls off a string of World Class saves because he has to in most games. Eventually, he gets caught out and commits a few howlers. He isn't up to the standards of Alison or Ederson, but he’s head and shoulders above anything else we have. I’m sorry, but Maguire is not the answer. Neither is Bailey, Lindelof, Bissaka or Shaw. We need at least two high quality defenders, at which point DeGea would start to look like the player he is again. I wouldn’t mind, but it’s not as if we play open attacking football that leaves the defence exposed. More often than not, particularly against the better teams, we are camped in our own half looking for a breakaway. DeGea is the highest quality’s player in our defence. He has been for years.
He's had lots of horrible performances for Spain though, who have arguably have a better defence. Fine he doesn't play with the international team every week, but you can't just blame the defence for his clangers. They were beyond schoolboy, eg the second goal yesterday.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Henderson is like Tuanzebe. Both promising and playing in positions where we could do with improving, but neither have yet shown they are definitely the ones to make that improvement.
No he's not? he's been probably one of the top 5 keepers in the league this season and played for a side pushing for Europe. Tuanzebe hasn't made it off the treatment table this season. Odd comparison.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Those teams would be capable of buying a keeper. Not sure what more you can ask from him, he's contributed to helping Sheffield being a team that's fighting for a place in Europe.

He's proven himself consecutively in League 2, League 1, The Championship and now the Premier League and made himself a fan favourite at each of these clubs. He's got a strong mentality.

Anustart89

Not entirely convinced by Henderson and his ability to slot in, but de Gea is basically Barthez at this point. Can't trust him with aerial balls, can't trust him with any shot coming in but still capable of the extraordinary, and we were all in agreement that Barthez wasn't good enough.

No way we'll spend in that position though, so it'll probably be Henderson and a lot of pain until he is able to fill the position or we buy someone else. Spending over £50m on a goalkeeper should probably be like 7th/8th priority in this squad at this point though, so we might be in for a new post-Schmeichel period over the next years.

romufc

Yesterday was the last chance for DDG. After the spurs and Bournemouth performances, I said give him the rest of the season to prove himself. He has proved that he is error prone now. At the moment, every shot from outside the box, is troubling DDG. This was his main attribute, shot stopping.

I said previously Henderson has errors in him, but DDG has howlers in him. He has made 4/5 howlers this season. We cannot continue to play him next season.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Those teams would be capable of buying a keeper. Not sure what more you can ask from him, he's contributed to helping Sheffield being a team that's fighting for a place in Europe.

He's proven himself consecutively in League 2, League 1, The Championship and now the Premier League and made himself a fan favourite at each of these clubs. He's got a strong mentality.
Exactly, and there were people on here saying that he isn’t proven enough in the PL yet. Wouldn’t make sense to send him down a division again.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Yeah, I mean if we don't give him his opportunity after passing every test we give him with flying colours, whilst our first team keeper continues to make gaffes, he'd have every right to force his way to Chelsea.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If we make Deano as our number 1, who will be our second keeper? Is Romero going to hang about?

GlasgowCeltic

Think its likely neither Henderson or DDG are the answer; then it becomes a question of are you willing to sit and wait for them while Chelsea potentially resolve their keeper issues with an Oblak etc

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Henderson looks like a good keeper but is he really someone at the level we want to be at? I can't see it myself.

I think the correct thing would be to bring in somebody new but I know that is probably the last thing the club will do.

Remember the geese

So I’m presuming not a PL team
It's difficult because teams like Arsenal and Chelsea who prioritise playing out from the back would be favourable loan destinations. Bigger clubs, more pressure and under the spotlight a bit more. However, you don't want to strengthen a rival and these clubs wouldn't agree to a loan deal without an option to buy. The only option would be to loan Henderson out to Europe somewhere. This is all in an ideal world.

Fact of the matter though, is that this is not an ideal world. I think we should bring Henderson back ahead of schedule and give him an opportunity with us next season. If he fails, fine. We then re-evalute next Summer and attempt to recruit as best we can. How any of this is possible with De Gea still at the club, with the contract he is on, is anyone's guess though.

tomaldinho1

This just simply isn't true - I agree with you re Maguire and the other CBs but AWB and Shaw are good enough for him not be constantly exposed. They are not the best full backs in the league but they're both in the top 5 or so. You can't want a world class player for every single position, there has to be some sense of reality. Issues for me are simple and infuriatingly haven't been addressed.
  1. DDG is not a sweeper keeper. Couple that with Lindelof and Maguire being asked to play higher up the pitch & also being both relatively slow this creates a world of issues for balls in behind or when an attacker can isolate/run at one of the CBs. DDG & Lindelof/Maguire suit a deeper defensive line - I'd argue this also applies to AWB given his inadequacies going forward. Chuck in the fact that Matic is older and less mobile and we have a huge issue with pace in the CB/DM area of the pitch.
  2. There can be no denying that DDG's form changed dramatically after the WC. Any player, not matter how much good-will they've built up, has to live on his current form. It's two whole seasons now of what I'd call mediocrity - some great saves mixed in with howlers pretty consistently. He's a still a good keeper but the trust I used to have in him, and probably the defenders in front of him had, has been eroded now and he should have faced a spell on the sidelines. Not doing this just promoted complacency.

NinjaFletch

Nah his problem is he's been shite and allows fecking dog shit efforts like Mount's in for over two seasons.

:rolleyes:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Except for Henderson outperforming DDG is pretty much every single metric this season?
One season doesn’t suddenly make him better overall. I like Henderson a lot. I think one day he will take over. I think next season is absolutely too soon.

Henderson still has a lot to learn before becoming our No1 and he still makes mistakes that De Gea would be slaughtered for. The grass isn’t always greener and I fear that people are too quick to swap out top quality for Young promise.

The few Sheffield United fans I know and trust love Henderson but not one of them has said he’d walk into United’s XI and in fact laughed when it was suggested saying it’d make it easier for them to get champions league in future!

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Think its likely neither Henderson or DDG are the answer; then it becomes a question of are you willing to sit and wait for them while Chelsea potentially resolve their keeper issues with an Oblak etc
Chelsea would gladly solve their keeper situation with Dean Henderson. He's shown enough at this young stage that he's worth it. I'd actually bet on Lampard to play him next season if he was our manager.