Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hmm... not sure how I feel about this. While I'd like to see him compete with De Gea as our #1, we've got a seriously bad history of overpaying players.
I'd trust Paul Hirst (The Times) over Sky who only last week reported that Henderson was gonna get a pay rise from his current £35k a week deal to around £100k a week which is very reasonable.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
still think the best course of action is to improve his wages and send him back to Sheffield for one more season. I have little doubt that he can be our number 1 for years to come, but I don't think another year at Sheffield will do him any harm, and a situation where he's the undisputed number 1 might be better for him at this stage. De Gea has made some worrying mistakes this season, there's absolutely no doubt about that. But I think he also deserves the chance to redeem himself next season, and it's obvious that Ole still trusts him. This is not a Kepa situation ... Ole has a top alternative in Romero, and he still decided to stick with De Gea. I don't think Henderson will gain anything from being on the bench.
Fully agree
Playing for Sheffield United is something completely different than playing for Manchester United, I'd say especially for a goalkeeper. The scrutiny you get playing for us is not really comparable to what Henderson has faced this far.
Exactly why he should spend another year there. It’s too soon to even try him as our #1 yet.

Besides there is no way DDG is getting benched with the wages he’s on. He either gets sold or plays.

My only worry is if he keeps making blunders next season, and Hendo has been loaned out, our only other option will be Romero. Which could be a risk.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'd trust Paul Hirst (The Times) over Sky who only last week reported that Henderson was gonna get a pay rise from his current £35k a week deal to around £100k a week which is very reasonable.
Yeah makes sense not to believe sky. Remember how they spouted nonsense about Lingard wages and then Ducker reported that Lingard earns 75k per week and with all bonuses it will reach 100k.

edcunited1878

David should be moved on if somebody will take him. If not he should be loaned or benched. Whilst many have tried to suggest his problems stem from complacency there's just way too much evidence that his nerves are gone. He's knocked us out of Europe twice (Barca and Sevilla) cost us in the Cup Semi Final (Chelsea) and cost us a place in the CL (last season) and fell to pieces for Spain in the WC (Ronaldo goal and pretty sure he left in almost every shot he faced over the 3 games) He even almost fumbled a simple save to Vardy's feet at the weekend. That's not even taking into account all the daft mistakes throughout the season such as Everton, Watford and all the times he's been easily beaten at his near post.

If he had other great qualities like organsing his defenders, coming for crosses or being great with his feet there could be some argument made for him but he doesn't. So I'm not sure what we're still doing here. I like David as much as anyone. He's been wonderful and I never thought it would come to this. But he's a goalkeeper. They need to be highly confident and reliable. We all remember the chaotic few years before we signed Van Der Sar. We don't need to go through that again.

This summer all our cash will go on needed outfield players so we can buy a keeper. So give it to Henderson a season. I'm not sure if Henderson is good enough to be our long term number 1 but he doesn't have the mental scarring David clearly has. If he rises to it, great. If not, we can put Romero in and we will have money available next summer to sign someone.
You're over the top in thinking that DDG is to blame for United losing to Barca and Sevilla. Come on man. The team completely collapsed in two seasons ago when chasing CL. This year, DDG and team made every point count and it was good enough to finish 3rd but make up the points difference to get into position for CL. Over the weekend, he did fumble a shot a bit, but cleared it away from Vardy but he was offside to begin with so no harm done.

Everton was a freak goal, but then he saved United's bacon a couple times afterwards that helped them secure a point. That point made a difference and Everton also had some good chances to equalize or take the lead without the freak goal that was conceded.

Defense and goal keeping wasn't all that much of an issue for United. It was trying to score enough goals in the beginning few months and their goals for is significantly lagging behind the two teams ahead of them.

DDG deserves to have one more full year before his position is seriously, seriously challenged because the club will be at a crossroad and they will choose Henderson.

Henderson has to work his way to England number 1 without interruption and that's going to be at Sheffield United. If he achieves that goal, and then has a good showing at Euros, his first major England tournament, then he's on a high that will roll into being United's number 1. But he will not be without his mistakes and hype being England number 1 and the huge scrutiny when United could have an outfield of players on the brink of seriously challenging for the league.

From the Big Dane, to the abyss, to VDS, to DDG, to Henderson. Henderson has enormous gloves to fill after VDS and DDG. He'll need a lot of support and a lot of resolve just to begin his United career. And United have to have a reliable veteran goalkeeper.

SteveW

You're over the top in thinking that DDG is to blame for United losing to Barca and Sevilla. Come on man. The team completely collapsed in two seasons ago when chasing CL. This year, DDG and team made every point count and it was good enough to finish 3rd but make up the points difference to get into position for CL. Over the weekend, he did fumble a shot a bit, but cleared it away from Vardy but he was offside to begin with so no harm done.

Everton was a freak goal, but then he saved United's bacon a couple times afterwards that helped them secure a point. That point made a difference and Everton also had some good chances to equalize or take the lead without the freak goal that was conceded.

Defense and goal keeping wasn't all that much of an issue for United. It was trying to score enough goals in the beginning few months and their goals for is significantly lagging behind the two teams ahead of them.

DDG deserves to have one more full year before his position is seriously, seriously challenged because the club will be at a crossroad and they will choose Henderson.

Henderson has to work his way to England number 1 without interruption and that's going to be at Sheffield United. If he achieves that goal, and then has a good showing at Euros, his first major England tournament, then he's on a high that will roll into being United's number 1. But he will not be without his mistakes and hype being England number 1 and the huge scrutiny when United could have an outfield of players on the brink of seriously challenging for the league.

From the Big Dane, to the abyss, to VDS, to DDG, to Henderson. Henderson has enormous gloves to fill after VDS and DDG. He'll need a lot of support and a lot of resolve just to begin his United career. And United have to have a reliable veteran goalkeeper.
Any chance we had was gone in both ties when he threw the ball into his own net. Once is bad enough but twice?

Number32

De Gea was in the same age as Henderson now when he became our ultimate #1. And he won the league too, after Fergie trusted him ahead of Lindegard the veteran goalkeeper. The season before, his position was still in doubt.

How about we treat Henderson like that? Competing with De Gea, then detrhone him from #1. Loaning him for another season is not a good idea, because we don't know how good he is or may be not good enough for us. Then we can move on for the next GK and forget both of them. But if anybody wants to splash the money for DDG, he has to go.

Curtois was once on loan for 3 season at Atletico, then come back to Chelsea but feeling it's not his home, and wanted a move back to Madrid. This also would happened to Henderson, especially when Sheffield utd become another Liecester with a great manager.

liamp

I just don't think 100k a week is reasonable for someone so inexperienced who may not even be this team's first choice keeper. For context, 100k a week puts him ahead of Alisson (90k) and Ederson (65k), on par with Leno and Lloris and only behind Kepa (150k) and DDG (375k). We'd effectively be spending close to 500k a week on just goalies, which is fecking staggering. You could even add Romero's 70k a week on top of that.

If it were to go up to 100k a week, I'm assuming he wouldn't go back out on loan unless we eat a huge portion of his wages. That would be more than triple what the next highest earner at Sheffield United makes.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I think Henderson should be used in the Premier League while DDG plays Champions League and some odd EPL games!!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I just don't think 100k a week is reasonable for someone so inexperienced who may not even be this team's first choice keeper. For context, 100k a week puts him ahead of Alisson (90k) and Ederson (65k), on par with Leno and Lloris and only behind Kepa (150k) and DDG (375k). We'd effectively be spending close to 500k a week on just goalies, which is fecking staggering. You could even add Romero's 70k a week on top of that.

If it were to go up to 100k a week, I'm assuming he wouldn't go back out on loan unless we eat a huge portion of his wages. That would be more than triple what the next highest earner at Sheffield United makes.
Ederson and Allison cost City and Liverpool over a £100m combined in transfer fees. Henderson is far cheaper and his likely pay increase reflects the thoughts of United who see him as our longterm #1..

Rajma

Willing to make him one of the highest paid keepers in the world despite not being the starter? He must be getting assurances about being the next number 1 whenever Dave gets phased out surely
We’re a dump club honestly. We’re willing to make Dean one the highest paid GKs in the world without him having played for us? What the heck? It’s obvious that we’re not planning to have him is our starter next season hence we want to offer him money instead to tie him here for foreseeable future. However, this is stupid on so many levels.

Jest get rid of DDG and he’ll agree to half of those wages and if he won’t perform to the required standard you may not have any problems shipping him off on those lower wages.

I sometimes can’t believe the indecisiveness and stupidity of this club. DOF is still very much needed to sort his nonsense out.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We’re a dump club honestly. We’re willing to make Dean one the highest paid GKs in the world without him having played for us? What the heck? It’s obvious that we’re not planning to have him is our starter next season hence we want to offer him money instead to tie him here for foreseeable future. However, this is stupid on so many levels.

Jest get rid of DDG and he’ll agree to half of those wages and if he won’t perform to the required standard you may not have any problems shipping him off on those lower wages.

I sometimes can’t believe the indecisiveness and stupidity of this club. DOF is still very much needed to sort his nonsense out.
As easy as that eh?

Shadow of his former self, constant mistakes and £375K a week.

Real easy to get 'just get rid' of DDG

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
For me it's an absolute no-brainer to play Henderson next year... With a failing De Gea, whát else would you have expected of Henderson before giving him the chance as our starter? It's also a signal to all our youth that if you develop and show progress, you will be rewarded... It would have been hard if De Gea had a solis season, but he obviously hasnt... NoBrainer for me!

Especially with the kind of players and character Solskjaer wants for the squad.. Hungry players with desire to play for United..

Even if we cannot swap De Gea somewhere, we should just bench him.. Time to show we are a football club again who makes decision based on what happens on the pitch in stead of as accountants

izec

Wanted to write the same. You said it well. This club can't make big decisions and makes a lot of mistakes therefore. This summer is the time to decide, but no, lets wait another season and feck things up in the meantime and postpone decisions in the future, that only will get more complicated.

bsCallout

There is a very simple reason I don't agree with this or agree with keeping De Gea at all.

He doesn't command his box.

DDG is the most passive goalkeeper in the prem. His shot stopping often makes up for it but for a top team, your goalkeeper has to be dominant.

We want a GK that is vocal, that comes to collect dangerous balls and that is confident pinging the ball 40 yards. DDG is none of those things.

At his age and with his experience I'd want him to be an authority in this younf team, he isn't.

cyberman

As easy as that eh?

Shadow of his former self, constant mistakes and £375K a week.

Real easy to get 'just get rid' of DDG
It is. He is still a huge name and other clubs will think a change of scenery could bring him back to what he was.
Utd fans have a blind spot to players we want to sell. Everytime we discuss this we cant see how anybody else will ever want to sign players we dont rate yet want us to jump in and sign Dembele, Thiago etc.
Hell people thought we couldn't sell Sanchez yet are in the brink of doing so.
We thought we would get peanuts for Lukaku as well

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

I agree with this. This club simply doesn't learn.

Its incredible that a club that is so stingy about so much would be willing to treble the wages of a keeper that probably won't be starting for us for awhile.

If these figures are true Henderson will be getting pretty much the same salary as Bruno Fernandes to play for someone else. :houllier:

And what's the need for it? The lad wants to become Man Utd keeper. You don't really have to lure him to stay. If they'd have doubled his salary, I still would've thought it a bit OTT but okay. £100k a week. Like you said, more than Alisson and Ederson? Needless. Honestly, when we renewed De Gea's contract it was the same situation. There was nobody else in for him. There was no need for us to give him such a ridiculous contract.

This is why we need an experienced Director of Football, the people signing the cheques at United have no sense of value in the football world. They will drag out signing Fernandes over three transfer windows, yet commit millions at a stroke to good but nowhere near great players.

Matriac

De Gea is not getting benched, nor going anywhere, there's just not a significant upgrade enough to make it worth the risk.

As for Dean getting a new improved contract, he definitely deserves it now that he's an established PL-level keeper, but how much more that depends on a few factors. There were rumors recently that Chelsea would offer him 175k if he came to them. If that's true or just paper talk we can't know. But if it is true we either have to sell him or match close to that salary.

I doubt they would go as high as that, maybe with all possible bonuses attained (like Lingard is reported at 100k, but it's 75k that can reach 100k if he performs well). But even then they could have just offered Dean around 100k to make it interesting for him to move from his current 35k(?). Unless they are so desperate for a keeper that's the only way they can see prying him away from us.

edcunited1878

De Gea was in the same age as Henderson now when he became our ultimate #1. And he won the league too, after Fergie trusted him ahead of Lindegard the veteran goalkeeper. The season before, his position was still in doubt.

How about we treat Henderson like that? Competing with De Gea, then detrhone him from #1. Loaning him for another season is not a good idea, because we don't know how good he is or may be not good enough for us. Then we can move on for the next GK and forget both of them. But if anybody wants to splash the money for DDG, he has to go.

Curtois was once on loan for 3 season at Atletico, then come back to Chelsea but feeling it's not his home, and wanted a move back to Madrid. This also would happened to Henderson, especially when Sheffield utd become another Liecester with a great manager.
DDG was many levels above Henderson when he was Henderson's age and when he inherited the number 1. He was always going to have to learn the physicality of the PL and get a bit stronger himself. You don't pay that much money for a young player to sit, when they already have top flight seasons and played in Europe as DDG did with Atletico Madrid.

Sheffield will not become another Leicester. They don't have the goal scores in their side.

Whether you agree with it or not, United are going to let Henderson have his clear chance at being the number 1 for United because of his narrative of that being from the academy, ascending to first team number 1 for club and country which has not been done at United for many, many decades.

CG1010

De Gea is not getting benched, nor going anywhere, there's just not a significant upgrade enough to make it worth the risk.

As for Dean getting a new improved contract, he definitely deserves it now that he's an established PL-level keeper, but how much more that depends on a few factors. There were rumors recently that Chelsea would offer him 175k if he came to them. If that's true or just paper talk we can't know. But if it is true we either have to sell him or match close to that salary.

I doubt they would go as high as that, maybe with all possible bonuses attained (like Lingard is reported at 100k, but it's 75k that can reach 100k if he performs well). But even then they could have just offered Dean around 100k to make it interesting for him to move from his current 35k(?). Unless they are so desperate for a keeper that's the only way they can see prying him away from us.
That's quite encouraging from Henderson to be honest. The key as many others have said is whether Henderson has technical upgrade over De Gea in his weaknesses areas (sweeping, coming off the line from crosses/corners,etc.), and whether he is mentally up to it (big pressure and concentration). But good to know that he is as good a shot stopper compared to the current version of De Gea.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We're in a tough position here. If we do want to make Henderson our number 1 it can't just happen overnight (over summer). He needs to accept that he'll be a cup keeper for at least a season. It really seems like the best option would be a pay rise and another loan though. It's on Henderson to make it work if he wants to end up playing here. Being on loan is probably the best way to improve anyway.

edcunited1878

There is a very simple reason I don't agree with this or agree with keeping De Gea at all.

He doesn't command his box.

DDG is the most passive goalkeeper in the prem. His shot stopping often makes up for it but for a top team, your goalkeeper has to be dominant.

We want a GK that is vocal, that comes to collect dangerous balls and that is confident pinging the ball 40 yards. DDG is none of those things.

At his age and with his experience I'd want him to be an authority in this younf team, he isn't.
So you want a GK who has skills of an outfield player with their feet, the dominance of Peter Schmichael....great, who is that and how much??

Your goalkeeper doesn't have to be dominant and yelling at players all the time. Yes, DDG can do a better job coming off his line to clear or catch some high balls, but he doesn't always do that and it makes too many uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, Ederson can pass better but it's not like he's commanding his box like a giant, not making mistakes or letting in soft goals, or organizing his defense like a goliath. It's a give and take with goalkeepers.

ruskyline

That's the whole point though, Henderson is alert the whole game because Sheffield are under constant attacks.

And I agree, ideally we would want to test him in an attacking team but that's not going to happen. If he goes again it will be to Sheffield again. He likes them, they like him, there is a matter of loyalty and comradery.

I think we both see the same thing but the difference is our level of confidence that Henderson can handle playing for Manchester United better than how De Gea is currently performing. I do not like to bet on things I don't know and am the type of people that prefer "the devil you know". But I also believe that Henderson will end up our first choice keeper, probably an year from now though.
I changed my vote from Henderson to DDG because DDG deserves at least 1 more year. Beside a few lapse of concentration he had last year, he is still a top keeper and can save those 99% chance of goal shots. I'd like to see how DDG will react to the criticism he got in 19/20.

bsCallout

So you want a GK who has skills of an outfield player with their feet, the dominance of Peter Schmichael....great, who is that and how much??

Your goalkeeper doesn't have to be dominant and yelling at players all the time. Yes, DDG can do a better job coming off his line to clear or catch some high balls, but he doesn't always do that and it makes too many uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, Ederson can pass better but it's not like he's commanding his box like a giant, not making mistakes or letting in soft goals, or organizing his defense like a goliath. It's a give and take with goalkeepers.
Well for a start I don't rate Ederson.

Secondly I think the bare minimum should be that a GK commands his 6 yard box.

The rest you're right is give and take.

If DDG was awful with his feet but dominated his 6yd and was the shot stopper he is then I'd be all for it.

But to me, personally, control of your 6yd and being vocal to your back line is the primary foundation.

Dearg hÉireann

I must admit that I haven't seen much of Henderson so can't comment with much credibility but he strikes me as a guy who is supremely confident (from interviews) and won't be willing to come back and fight it out for the jersey with DDG. I believe he thinks he's above that and will want assurances before coming back and I don't want Ole to give him those assurances because if he's really got it in him to be a united keeper he'll come back and prove his ability, if not he could potentially be world class for another team or he could turn out like Ben Foster, a good keeper who didn't have it in him to be a keeper for a top club. Nobody knows right now.

I think De Gea has been very hot and cold this past year but I don't agree with people saying Henderson should start the new season as No 1, as others have stated he's made mistakes himself this season and would get absolutely crucified if he was playing for Man United.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's reasonable if they see Henderson as the longterm #1. A player who cost feck all in 2014.
It's not. It is Alisson-level salary, higher than what Ederson gets. He is not as good as them, and he is not gonna play for us next season. Add to that, he has another 3 years on his contract, so I don't see the urgency.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's not. It is Alisson-level salary, higher than what Ederson gets. He is not as good as them, and he is not gonna play for us next season. Add to that, he has another 3 years on his contract, so I don't see the urgency.
It's Lingard and Ashley Young level salary for a player who is seen as being far more important in comparison in the longterm. It's more than reasonable.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's Lingard and Ashley Young level salary for a player who is seen as being far more important in comparison in the longterm. It's more than reasonable.
Which were on more money than they should have. Let's also offer to Pogba, Martial, Bruno and Rashford the same salary as Sanchez is.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Which were on more money than they should have. Let's also offer to Pogba, Martial, Bruno and Rashford the same salary as Sanchez is.
Whether they were on more money than they deserved doesn't change the fact that Henderson is considered a bigger talent than them.

Liverpool and City paid over a combined £100m in transfer fees for Allison and Ederson and that doesn't include the agent and signing on fees. Henderson will never even come close to being that expensive for United.

Revan

Assumptionman
Whether they were on more money than they deserved doesn't change the fact that Henderson is considered a bigger talent than them.

Liverpool and City paid over a combined £100m in transfer fees for Allison and Ederson and that doesn't include the agent and signing on fees. Henderson will never even come close to being that expensive for United.
A high transfer fee, is associated with a high salary. It is probably why Maguire is on 200k/week.

I don't see a reason why we should pay Henderson (to play for Sheffield) more than what Liverpool pays Alisson or City pays Ederson. Why we should make him the third most paid goalkeeper in the league without him playing a single game for us? I could have understood if he was at the end of his contract, so we make a deal on increasing his salary while he is still on loan, but he has 3 years on his contract (if we exercise the third-year option). I totally fail to understand the urgency behind this.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't get it either. I saw some report say it'll make him one if the highest paid GK's in the world, now obviously they didn't elaborate exactly where on the list of highest paid GK's he'd be but still he's not warranted even being in the conversation.

I honestly just don't see it with Henderson and that's not to say I have faith in DDG anymore either, I'd sell them both especially if it's true Chelsea want Henderson

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A high transfer fee, is associated with a high salary. It is probably why Maguire is on 200k/week.

I don't see a reason why we should pay Henderson (to play for Sheffield) more than what Liverpool pays Alisson or City pays Ederson. Why we should make him the third most paid goalkeeper in the league without him playing a single game for us? I could have understood if he was at the end of his contract, so we make a deal on increasing his salary while he is still on loan, but he has 3 years on his contract (if we exercise the third-year option). I totally fail to understand the urgency behind this.
It's all speculation and nothing set in stone. I would urge yourself and anyone else for that matter not to jump to conclusions based on a Sky article.

And even if it is close to the 100k a week mark and he fails to establish himself as the #1. Then I don't think we will have too big of a problem in moving him on unlike Sanchez and De Gea.

The bigger issue is De Gea and his wages.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We have been in an almost perfect goalkeeping situation here. De Gea is first choice, Romero is a more than able backup who seems perfectly content being so, and we have a very interesting young prospect getting great football on loan. Wonderful for the club. The only downside is that De Gea has made some mistakes and people are starting to question him.

For me, I'm more than happy to keep De Gea as first choice next season. What we absolutely must not do IMO is bring Henderson back to compete with De Gea.

The only reason this becomes a tough decision now is if Henderson is putting pressure on the club to bring him back or sell him. That's a big call, but it doesn't seem to be the case, so let him get another year under his belt and reassess next summer

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We have been in an almost perfect goalkeeping situation here. De Gea is first choice, Romero is a more than able backup who seems perfectly content being so, and we have a very interesting young prospect getting great football on loan. Wonderful for the club. The only downside is that De Gea has made some mistakes and people are starting to question him.

For me, I'm more than happy to keep De Gea as first choice next season. What we absolutely must not do IMO is bring Henderson back to compete with De Gea.

The only reason this becomes a tough decision now is if Henderson is putting pressure on the club to bring him back or sell him. That's a big call, but it doesn't seem to be the case, so let him get another year under his belt and reassess next summer
Ive come to the conclusion that for me we absolutely should (if we're not selling either/both). Let's see how DDG really copes with the pressure of this so called future number 1 at the club alongside him and likewise let's see him (Henderson) actually play for us

At the point other than giving Henderson another year of 36 league games I don't see what we get out of sending him on loan again

Adnan

Talent Spotter
De Gea can't command his area, physically weak, non-communicator, and his distribution is way below the required standards for a big club that wants to play a progressive play style.

With Schmeichel and Van der Sar we lost dominant/commanding keepers who had personality and were organisers. With our current keeper he's completely opposite to them and is as one dimensional as they come.

The quicker we bring Henderson in and give him a chance the better. He might even show some bravery and come of his line at times which would be helpful. And if it doesn't work out then we can move him on and scour Europe for the right man. Someone who can command his zone and has personality along with distribution skills should be targeted IMO.

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
If Romero goes I think Dean will be the cup and rest keeper next season with an eye if David can regain his form. If not, and he does exceptionally well, I can see him starting more games the season after

liamp

Mentioned this in my post above, but I don't understand how he'd play for Sheffield if we increase his salary to anywhere near 100k. Sheffield couldn't afford his wages and it doesn't make sense for this club to have to eat 70% of his wages to send him there.

I'd prefer he not go to Sheffield at all. If we want to develop his distribution, Sheffield is literally the worst club we could send him to in the league. Wilder's tactics call for his goalies to essentially hoof it at every opportunity. For context, 78% of all Henderson's passes were hoofs of more than 40 yards (compare that to 34% for DDG). Somehow, Henderson managed to have both the highest rate of hoofs in the PL and also the 2nd lowest completion percentage on those hoofs.

It would be nice to send him to a club that actually values distribution from the GK to see if he can actually play like a modern goalie in this league before we decide to commit top tier money to him.

Marcus

Henderson has made errors too. Against Southampton he was beaten at the near post. DDG would have got cremated for that.