Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

In Rainbows

We have been in an almost perfect goalkeeping situation here. De Gea is first choice, Romero is a more than able backup who seems perfectly content being so, and we have a very interesting young prospect getting great football on loan. Wonderful for the club. The only downside is that De Gea has made some mistakes and people are starting to question him.

For me, I'm more than happy to keep De Gea as first choice next season. What we absolutely must not do IMO is bring Henderson back to compete with De Gea.

The only reason this becomes a tough decision now is if Henderson is putting pressure on the club to bring him back or sell him. That's a big call, but it doesn't seem to be the case, so let him get another year under his belt and reassess next summer
Not to mention we have a tremendous young keeper prospect in Kovar.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Ive come to the conclusion that for me we absolutely should (if we're not selling either/both). Let's see how DDG really copes with the pressure of this so called future number 1 at the club alongside him and likewise let's see him (Henderson) actually play for us

At the point other than giving Henderson another year of 36 league games I don't see what we get out of sending him on loan again
We get exactly that. Another 36 games for Henderson.

Imagine having them both here. How does that work exactly? The first time one of them makes even a minor mistake we switch them? Back and forth. Back and forth.

Worst case they both turn into a fragile mess, knowing the next cock up puts them on the bench for a month. Or best case one of them plays consistently well and keeps his place all season. Means the other sits on the bench for a year next to Romero. Neither of those seem massively appealing to me. We are creating a problem that isn't there at the moment

matsdf

We get exactly that. Another 36 games for Henderson.

Imagine having them both here. How does that work exactly? The first time one of them makes even a minor mistake we switch them? Back and forth. Back and forth.

Worst case they both turn into a fragile mess, knowing the next cock up puts them on the bench for a month. Or best case one of them plays consistently well and keeps his place all season. Means the other sits on the bench for a year next to Romero. Neither of those seem massively appealing to me. We are creating a problem that isn't there at the moment
The best case is that we have our best goalkeeper in goal. Everything else is irellevant (or at least not as important).

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The best case is that we have our best goalkeeper in goal. Everything else is irellevant (or at least not as important).
Yes I would agree with you, but for me I don't believe that there is a compelling case (yet) that Henderson is better than De Gea. Obviously David has made a few errors that have cost the team but he is still a very good goalkeeper, and I honestly doubt that a lot of people who are commenting on here watch Henderson playing on a regular basis. He isnt yet the finished article, and im wary of throwing him in to a season where there will be high expectations and also Champions League football.

Besides, its pretty clear from Ole's interviews that he still believes in De Gea so I doubt that this is something he is deliberating very strongly himself. As I mentioned earlier, for me this is a wonderful situation for the club unless Henderson is thinking about a transfer.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
DDG is currently at the age VdS left Juventus.

The latter then spent almost 5 years at Fulham.

Before joining us at the age of 35 and becoming one of our best ever goalkeepers.

Goalkeepers are a weird breed. De Gea is a modern goalkeeper. Athletic, slim, has had a whole career of modern training methods.

Point being... it’s daft to write off De Gea. He’s still a top 5 goalkeeper. He’s out of form, but world class goalkeepers rarely have a peak at 29 then fall apart.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Exactly

Let's stop pussyfooting around, if Henderson being back get De Gea back to his best then sorry I couldn't give a shit what that means for Henderson and his development

Conversely if De Gea wilts under the pressure then feck him off to somebody else

Classical Mechanic

Before joining us at the age of 35 and becoming one of our best ever goalkeepers.

Goalkeepers are a weird breed. De Gea is a modern goalkeeper. Athletic, slim, has had a whole career of modern training methods.

Point being... it’s daft to write off De Gea. He’s still a top 5 goalkeeper. He’s out of form, but world class goalkeepers rarely have a peak at 29 then fall apart.
De Gea's game is very limited and a loss of reaction time and/or agility will render him useless. I highly doubt he'll have a career like VDS in terms of longevity.

That said, it's probable that his issues right now are psychological so he can overcome them.

BulgarianDevil91

People need to realise de Gea might still peak in different areas of his development. His reflexes may have been God-like up to now, but these will slowly fade away and be replaced by other sides of his game, such as better positioning and doing better when commanding the area. A goalkeeper's career isn't as short as an outfield player's is and they have much mire time for improvement. Remember his early years? Who says there's no way he improves his weaknesses now as well?

I know I might be biased, but the guy broke his back to carry the sorry excuse of an outfield ten we had not ling ago, he deserves more than anyone else a chance to redeem himself. Putting Henderson before him just after a single good PL season is massive disrespect towards David.

Also, Romero always comes before Henderson as well, he's been the best second choice goalie a club could ever want, no way he doesn't get a full season shot in my books, if we ever have the stupidity to get rid of DDG.

hmchan

De Gea's game is very limited and a loss of reaction time and/or agility will render him useless. I highly doubt he'll have a career like VDS in terms of longevity.

That said, it's probable that his issues right now are psychological so he can overcome them.
We've been waiting this for a year and yet de Gea's performance has suggested otherwise. People keep saying that we should stick with him just because goalkeepers "usually" peak at 29, but there's nothing "usual" about him.

Hulme91

Exactly

Let's stop pussyfooting around, if Henderson being back get De Gea back to his best then sorry I couldn't give a shit what that means for Henderson and his development

Conversely if De Gea wilts under the pressure then feck him off to somebody else
Henderson won't accept sitting on the bench though
He's on the verge of being England number one with a Euros on the horizon
It's either another loan or a real shot at the shirt here

People need to realise de Gea might still peak in different areas of his development. His reflexes may have been God-like up to now, but these will slowly fade away and be replaced by other sides of his game, such as better positioning and doing better when commanding the area. A goalkeeper's career isn't as short as an outfield player's is and they have much mire time for improvement. Remember his early years? Who says there's no way he improves his weaknesses now as well?

I know I might be biased, but the guy broke his back to carry the sorry excuse of an outfield ten we had not ling ago, he deserves more than anyone else a chance to redeem himself. Putting Henderson before him just after a single good PL season is massive disrespect towards David.

Also, Romero always comes before Henderson as well, he's been the best second choice goalie a club could ever want, no way he doesn't get a full season shot in my books, if we ever have the stupidity to get rid of DDG.
Romero is exactly that, a great second choice keeper.

He should never, and will never be no 1 at a top club. The only way that happens, is if DDG suffered a long term injury after the season starts.

Henderson has the potential to be no 1, whether he does it yet to be seen, but Romero does not - and we won’t be giving him a season to prove it.

DDG does deserve to be given a chance, and OGS has given him that, and now has a big decision to make.

Now could be the time to bring back Henderson, if that genuine competition brings back DDG to his best then he can be no 1 for the next half decade.

If Henderson Earns his place, then again we have a keeper who can be no 1 for the long term.

ScarleyUtd

Exactly

Trouble with that is would Henderson accept that scenario? He's playing week in week out at the Blades. He will want reassurances before he comes back, or he'll be off surely.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Trouble with that is would Henderson accept that scenario? He's playing week in week out at the Blades. He will want reassurances before he comes back, or he'll be off surely.
No he wouldn't. We'd end up screwing up a situation where we might well have goalkeeper sorted for the next 10-15 years just because fans are too quick to want change and write a player off

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

DIfference is, VDS was brilliant at the basics and was a leader. De Gea is not. One thing that these empty stadiums taught me is that De Gea is very quiet in goal. The keeper has the best view on the pitch and should be instructing his defenders at all times, just like VDS did (you could hear him at times even with stadium sound). My worry is I'm not sure if this is something that can be taught. It's about their character. I would also like De Gea to work hard with his coach to work on the basics. Things like positioning and working on crosses. It also wouldn't hurt for him to bulk up a bit. He might lose a step, but if his positioning is great (like VDS was) then he won't have to make so many saves that take agility. However, it can help to make him a presence in his 6 yard box, an area that teams tend to pick on us with...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Henderson won't accept sitting on the bench though
He's on the verge of being England number one with a Euros on the horizon
It's either another loan or a real shot at the shirt here
No player is assured of playing time, bring him back tell him he has as good a chance as DDG as playing and see which of them steps up

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You'd expect the plan was for Henderson to have another season playing every week for Sheff Utd, while we eat down another De Gea year of his contract.
Then in a year have a real decision to make.

But De Gea made some vital errors recently, so it's bound to have brought the decision ahead.

The problems we have if we bring Henderson back now, is we'll never shift De Gea's huge wages off, and he still has at least 3 years on that deal.
What if Henderson goes the way of the likes of Ben Foster who wilted under the extra pressure, and wasn't actually up to it after all the hype?

Difficult.

Dahmmy

i would stick with him - all keepers no matter how good can go through a patch, and make mistakes....whatever mistakes we make are multiplied...look at kasper v lingard etc

call me old fashioned but when Real madrid were desperate to sign him, he stayed with us, so now a bit of loyalty from us wont go amiss

Reactions: Niall

hmchan

Competition is great, but not when there's clear favourites and bias that mean it isnt a competition at all.
Just saw this from another thread, and for those who think de Gea and Henderson should compete for the spot.

w1thout

i would stick with him - all keepers no matter how good can go through a patch, and make mistakes....whatever mistakes we make are multiplied...look at kasper v lingard etc

call me old fashioned but when Real madrid were desperate to sign him, he stayed with us, so now a bit of loyalty from us wont go amiss
Cmon mate, he didn't stay with us out of loyalty. He was an inch away from a move, and ended up staying only thanks to a broken fax machine.
In fact, his mind was so focused on Madrid that Van Gaal had to bench him until the transfer window was closed.

That's not loyalty for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hold a grudge against him or something, it's just that in my eyes, he stayed with us because he had no other options left after RM bought Courtois.

Nakhon Phanom

It is a tricky one but personally I would stick with Dave for one more season and see how it goes.
Send Henderson on loan to Sheffield United for another year and let's see how he copes with pressure at Euro 21.
We still have another decent keeper as back up with Romero.
With us being in the Champions League it's important we have an experienced keeper at that level and Henderson is unproven as yet.
But his time will come. For now though we can't take a chance on him being another Foster or Bosnich.

dogwithabone

We are in for Schmiechel if the papers are to be believed. For whatever reason I think he goes a bit under the radar when keepers are discussed. Maybe it’s because he can’t quite reach the standard set by his dad but when you analyse it he’s a very solid PL keeper season after season.

If we are to replace DDG then Schmiechel in, Henderson out on loan for another year and Romero as back up isn’t the worst business we could do. I just get the feeling Ole isn’t quite convinced Henderson can make the step up in expectation right now. I don’t think we’d stand a chance of getting Schmiechel as a number two but the guarantee of a season as first choice and then battle it out with Henderson the season later would probably get him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Surprised that it's taken this long but The Sun (!) is linking as Kasper Schmeichel...

Mcking

DIfference is, VDS was brilliant at the basics and was a leader. De Gea is not. One thing that these empty stadiums taught me is that De Gea is very quiet in goal. The keeper has the best view on the pitch and should be instructing his defenders at all times, just like VDS did (you could hear him at times even with stadium sound). My worry is I'm not sure if this is something that can be taught. It's about their character. I would also like De Gea to work hard with his coach to work on the basics. Things like positioning and working on crosses. It also wouldn't hurt for him to bulk up a bit. He might lose a step, but if his positioning is great (like VDS was) then he won't have to make so many saves that take agility. However, it can help to make him a presence in his 6 yard box, an area that teams tend to pick on us with...
I know many love to go on about De Gea's errors, but as far as I'm concerned, those are just a little part of the problem. Watching Emiliano Martinez for Arsenal makes me wish we would be braver and move on from De Gea. Not sure if Dean Henderson is the answer, but De Gea definitely isn't.

The likes of Vidic, Terry and Ferdinand were lucky to have played with goalkeepers like Cech and Van der Sar. Put De Gea right behind them, and they would be shakier. I doubt we would ever have a great defence with him in goal, it would be ground hog day every season. He is the biggest problem back there.

Irrational.

Willing to make him one of the highest paid keepers in the world despite not being the starter? He must be getting assurances about being the next number 1 whenever Dave gets phased out surely
Now where have we made this mistake before...

Henderson has earned his shot at being #1, and may not be keen to hang around for another season. DDG has shown a persistent decline over the past couple of seasons and he doesn't fill me with any kind of confidence. I was watching a video of our 14 game run on YouTube, and DDG was directly responsible for 4-5 errors. That is unacceptable for a keeper of a team challenging at the top end.

wolvored

Whats the point of signing a goalkeeper like Schmeichel who isnt any better and is older than De Gea. We either go for a top class goalie, highly unlikely though due to us needing the transfer fund for Sancho, or give Henderson a chance. We tried an unproven 19 year old in De Gea, so surely a 23 year old proven goalie in the Premier, and wont cost a dime, should be the way to go. If we bought in Schmeichel, even if he cost a tenner, he wouldnt be coming in to hand over the reins in 12 months. This would also piss off Henderson and could see him leaving when his contract is up, as he would have a few top clubs after him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I know many love to go on about De Gea's errors, but as far as I'm concerned, those are just a little part of the problem. Watching Emiliano Martinez for Arsenal makes me wish we would be braver and move on from De Gea. Not sure if Dean Henderson is the answer, but De Gea definitely isn't.

The likes of Vidic, Terry and Ferdinand were lucky to have played with goalkeepers like Cech and Van der Sar. Put De Gea right behind them, and they would be shakier. I doubt we would ever have a great defence with him in goal, it would be ground hog day every season. He is the biggest problem back there.
You make a good point about Emi Martinez. Never heard of him before this season and I've only watched him about 4 times but his command of his area is vastly superior to De Gea.

In 4 games I've seen Martinez command his area much better than De Gea has in almost 10 years at United.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Whats the point of signing a goalkeeper like Schmeichel who isnt any better and is older than De Gea. We either go for a top class goalie, highly unlikely though due to us needing the transfer fund for Sancho, or give Henderson a chance. We tried an unproven 19 year old in De Gea, so surely a 23 year old proven goalie in the Premier, and wont cost a dime, should be the way to go. If we bought in Schmeichel, even if he cost a tenner, he wouldnt be coming in to hand over the reins in 12 months. This would also piss off Henderson and could see him leaving when his contract is up, as he would have a few top clubs after him.
We should give Henderson a chance because De Gea isn't the answer for a team wanting to play a progressive play style.

But the biggest problem is De Gea's wages and who will buy him? Any coach wanting to play out from the back and wanting a dominating keeper won't want De Gea because he's quite simply not good enough. De Gea suits a team that plays a deep defensive line so I could see maybe Mourinho, Simeone wanting him but not on the wages he's on. He's gonna be harder to shift than Sanchez IMO.

HackeyC

We should give Henderson a chance because De Gea isn't the answer for a team wanting to play a progressive play style.

But the biggest problem is De Gea's wages and who will buy him? Any coach wanting to play out from the back and wanting a dominating keeper won't want De Gea because he's quite simply not good enough. De Gea suits a team that plays a deep defensive line so I could see maybe Mourinho, Simeone wanting him but not on the wages he's on. He's gonna be harder to shift than Sanchez IMO.
De Gea is not an upgrade to Oblak and at the minute I'd rather have Loris, so neither of those managers are likely to come knocking.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
De Gea is not an upgrade to Oblak and at the minute I'd rather have Loris, so neither of those managers are likely to come knocking.
I agree.. It would've been hard to shift him with out the ridiculous wages he's on now because I can't see any elite club signing him due to his limitations which would hinder any progressive coach who sets out to impose his style on the opposition.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Surely if you want someone to play out from the back Henderson is definitely not the answer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Surely if you want someone to play out from the back Henderson is definitely not the answer.
Henderson is gonna get a chance whether anyone likes it or not. It's better we give him the chance sooner rather than later because De Gea isn't gonna help us in anyway in becoming a more progressive team.

With Henderson we might actually have a keeper who might command his area and show some bravery from time to time. And if it doesn't work out then we scour Europe for the best keeper with the correct minerals to help us achieve our goal.

Getting rid of De Gea is a positive step to reaching our destination whether that be Henderson or another keeper in Europe. The quicker we take that step the better. But I fear we're stuck with De Gea because I can't see any big team who plays a progressive play style wanting him for the reasons I've stated previously.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Surprised that it's taken this long but The Sun (!) is linking as Kasper Schmeichel...
that rumour came about roughly a week after Maddison signed a new contract trumping Schmeichel's deal with us, its so obviously BS but if I were Leicester's DoF I'd call his bluff and tell him to get United to agree a deal that sees Dean Henderson come the other way on a permanent deal, straight swap.

The Rumour would vanish.

Frankly I'd pay you money and send Kasper Schmeichel to get Dean Henderson to Leicester, I'm a massive fan of his

Offsideagain

The club have issued a statement condemning the transfer rumours as rubbish. Every day the media is full of about a dozen players on the verge of signing. As for Henderson v DeGea, well as good as Henderson is, he is still young and the pressure of being #1 at OT could destroy him. DeGea was player of the year for four years was it on the trot. You do suddenly become rubbish. Give them both another season where they are especially if we get a class Centre Back and Left back. Just look at Joe Hart, he was worth ten points to City according to Gary Neville and now he’s a free agent after Guardiola eased him out and swanning about abroad and Burnley for a season.

lex talionis

If my math is correct, Schmeichel joined United at the age of 28. De Gea is now 29. It’s a bit premature to write off De Gea just yet.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I think you needy to realise that they are two totally different types of goalkeeper, one relies on positioning, the other relies on reflex.
From what I've seen in the past, keeper which relies on reflex usually peak early and didn't last as long. Let's hope I am wrong about De Gea.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I do marvel at how fickle and reactionary we can be as fans.

While De Gea has made a flurry of unforced errors this season (which requires addressing), he has, in his time with us, pulled of some phenomenal saves to win us matches. He was at times during the post-Fergie era, our only performing player, with many anxious that he would leave for Madrid.

At the risk of overusing an old adage, form is temporary and class is permanent.

EwanI Ted

I do marvel at how fickle and reactionary we can be as fans.

While De Gea has made a flurry of unforced errors this season (which requires addressing), he has, in his time with us, pulled of some phenomenal saves to win us matches. He was at times during the post-Fergie era, our only performing player, with many anxious that he would leave for Madrid.

At the risk of overusing an old adage, form is temporary and class is permanent.
That old chestnut isn’t really true though is it. Some players have temporary dips in form, while others’ form fades away and never returns. Two years of poor form isn’t quite enough to write De Gea off, but it is definitely a very long time to be out of sorts.

RooneyLegend

De Gea will probably get one more season, if he lets us down I expect to see him in a Inter Milan Jersey for the 2021/2022 season.