Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The problem with him isn't that he doesn't rate Henderson, it's that he refuses to accept the decline of de Gea and still thinks he's world class.
De Gea isn’t as good as his best season. But no GK in recorded PL history has as high a PSXGA as he did. It’s ridiculous to expect that level each season.

He still pulls off things no other GK in the PL does.

You seem weirdly threatened by Henderson. There’s nothing wrong with giving a young player a chance to compete with the first teamer, and it makes financial sense to tie Henderson down. If De Gea is the better keeper, what’s the problem?
What a ridiculous thing to say. Why on earth would anyone other than De Gea feel threatened?

EwanI Ted

What a ridiculous thing to say. Why on earth would anyone other than De Gea feel threatened?
You tell me. The argument for giving Henderson a new contract and trialing him out next season is entirely sensible from both a playing and a financial perspective, yet here you are fishing round for reasons to ship him out. The only ‘benefit’ of which is that De Gea secures his place. I doubt very much that De Gea gives a hoot about a bit of competition, so I’m struggling to find any other explanation.

hmchan

De Gea isn’t as good as his best season. But no GK in recorded PL history has as high a PSXGA as he did. It’s ridiculous to expect that level each season.

He still pulls off things no other GK in the PL does.

1. Emphasis on "did". de Gea undoubtedly delivered plenty of amazing performances in the past but it was in the past tense. He has been no more than average in terms of shotstopping (PSxGA) in the recent two seasons, let alone his numerous howlers. There is no single piece of evidence suggesting he will return to his best or anywhere near it other than some wishful thinkings from the fans. You can't hang on to players just because they were world class at some point in their career or we'd still be playing the Class of 92.

2. Whether de Gea has been the best GK in PL history in terms of PSxGA is still up for debate. In some models he is, in some he isn't. It is, of course, also worth to mention the recent introduction of xG models in football. This makes your PL history rather short and makes your argument rather silly.

hmchan

You tell me. The argument for giving Henderson a new contract and trialing him out next season is entirely sensible from both a playing and a financial perspective, yet here you are fishing round for reasons to ship him out. The only ‘benefit’ of which is that De Gea secures his place. I doubt very much that De Gea gives a hoot about a bit of competition, so I’m struggling to find any other explanation.
This post says it all.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/david-de-gea-2019-20-performances.448764/post-25831012

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
1. Emphasis on "did". de Gea undoubtedly delivered plenty of amazing performances in the past but it was in the past tense. He has been no more than average in terms of shotstopping (PSxGA) in the recent two seasons, let alone his numerous howlers. There is no single piece of evidence suggesting he will return to his best or anywhere near it other than some wishful thinkings from the fans. You can't hang on to players just because they were world class at some point in their career or we'd still be playing the Class of 92.

2. Whether de Gea has been the best GK in PL history in terms of PSxGA is still up for debate. In some models he is, in some he isn't. It is, of course, also worth to mention the recent introduction of xG models in football. This makes your PL history rather short and makes your argument rather silly.
1. I would rather have a GK known to be capable of world class performances. He has by definition been above average unless you don’t understand how the stats work and I’ll happily go through why if you want? He’s below average for cross collection which I absolutely agree is a concern in his game and something I’d love to be able to fix but beyond that I’d be hard pressed to find anything he’s below average on perhaps ball playing ability but even then Henderson is worse.

There is no evidence to suggest Henderson will cope with the role at United either other than wishful thinking.

2. He is from recorded history. Whether that is a long time or not the fact remains there is empirical proof of him being the best. There isn’t a single model he isn’t the best for in his best season. It makes it entirely relevant the metrics came in around the same time De Gea joined the PL so since his arrival there hasn’t been a better shot stopping performance. Why would I want to go back further in history than that it would be irrelevant as we should be comparing modern GKs to see if he would be worth replacing. Or should we look back to 1970s to see if De Gea is worth keeping.

It boils down to this. I think we’re giving Henderson too much too soon before he’s performed for our club. We have made similar mistakes in the past.

I’ve said before that I would actually like to see De Gea and Henderson in competition with one another but I think 375k a week on Gk wages is ridiculous.

HowYouDoin

100 % should be Henderson but that DDG contract, we might have another Bale situation on our hands.

RUCK4444

1. I would rather have a GK known to be capable of world class performances. He has by definition been above average unless you don’t understand how the stats work and I’ll happily go through why if you want? He’s below average for cross collection which I absolutely agree is a concern in his game and something I’d love to be able to fix but beyond that I’d be hard pressed to find anything he’s below average on perhaps ball playing ability but even then Henderson is worse.

There is no evidence to suggest Henderson will cope with the role at United either other than wishful thinking.

2. He is from recorded history. Whether that is a long time or not the fact remains there is empirical proof of him being the best. There isn’t a single model he isn’t the best for in his best season. It makes it entirely relevant the metrics came in around the same time De Gea joined the PL so since his arrival there hasn’t been a better shot stopping performance. Why would I want to go back further in history than that it would be irrelevant as we should be comparing modern GKs to see if he would be worth replacing. Or should we look back to 1970s to see if De Gea is worth keeping.

It boils down to this. I think we’re giving Henderson too much too soon before he’s performed for our club. We have made similar mistakes in the past.

I’ve said before that I would actually like to see De Gea and Henderson in competition with one another but I think 375k a week on Gk wages is ridiculous.
Agree. Especially with the bolded. It's not about throwing the new flavour of the month in goal because De Gea has had a poor season. Let's work with what we have, with the aim of getting the best out of what we have...

i.e. getting the former best keeper in the world back to his best (because that's better than anything Henderson will bring) and letting the new kid get some much needed experience of being the no. 1 for Manchester United.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
100 % should be Henderson but that DDG contract, we might have another Bale situation on our hands.
If for whatever reason Henderson cements his position as our number one at some point this coming season, it’s hard to see De Gea sitting around for the next 3 years. I guess it’s a bit different with keepers as there’s only one spot going and they aren’t subject to rotation as much. If Henderson gets his spot I reckon he’d have too much pride to stick around.

hmchan

1. In terms of PSxGA, de Gea was ranked 12th (+1.0) in the league in 18/19 and 9th (+2.7) in 19/20. He has been average unless you don't understand the definition of average and I'll happily explain to you. Henderson, on the other hand, was ranked 6th (+4.0) this season and he had saved more expected goals in one season than de Gea's two seasons combined. Together with a better save percentage, evidence is showing Henderson has been a much better shotstopper than the recent de Gea, let alone fewer hilarious howlers.

2. According to the model from Understat de Gea has been the best with +15.54 in 17/18 but some suggest otherwise. For example, Statsbomb (which many suggest as a better model) states his number is actually +7.9, which is lower than Pope (+10.7) that season. This figure is also lower than Fabianski (+11.6) and Lloris (+11.3) in 18/19, as well as Dubravka (+10.0) this season. So no there are models that suggest he isn't the best unless you don't realize there are multiple models for xG.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
1. In terms of PSxGA, de Gea was ranked 12th (+1.0) in the league in 18/19 and 9th (+2.7) in 19/20. He has been average unless you don't understand the definition of average and I'll happily explain to you. Henderson, on the other hand, was ranked 6th (+4.0) this season and he had saved more expected goals in one season than de Gea's two seasons combined. Together with a better save percentage, evidence is showing Henderson has been a much better shotstopper than the recent de Gea, let alone fewer hilarious howlers.

2. According to the model from Understat de Gea has been the best with +15.54 in 17/18 but some suggest otherwise. For example, Statsbomb (which many suggest as a better model) states his number is actually +7.9, which is lower than Pope (+10.7) that season. This figure is also lower than Fabianski (+11.6) and Lloris (+11.3) in 18/19, as well as Dubravka (+10.0) this season. So no there are models that suggest he isn't the best unless you don't realize there are multiple models for xG.
The whole point of PsXGA is compared to an average GK. positive is above average bu

Henderson has had a good season at a smaller low pressure club. Young British GK has one good season in the PL and becomes next best thing. Where have we heard that before?

Pickford
Hart
Foster
Forster
Pope
Butland
Gunn
Kirkland

More British GKs have one off wonder seasons and then fall by the wayside in fact the only consistent example I can think of was David Seaman in the PL era.

Believe it or not I really like Henderson but if we want a cross stopping commander of the box he’s not the best choice.

If you want a ball playing GK he’s certainly not that so essentially he’s a very good shot stopper based on one season of performance at a PL level.

This is without any of the media scrutiny week in week out that United GKs have and in a low pressure environment. Henderson makes a mistake and its forgotten about the next day. De Gea and it’s brought up 6 months later.

He’s had a very good season but so did De Gea in harsher conditions so what evidence do we have that this wasn’t just a positive blip and that he won’t now tend towards being slightly above average or worse? Zero. We’re so keen to remove the old and have the new shiny toy that sometimes we discard or belittle without appreciation of what is there. De Gea has won everything trophy wise with United apart from CL. He’s a proven winner.

Henderson has made just as many mistakes as De Gea the only difference is one is analysed to death and the other gets a free ride.

It’s great to have two GKs but surely Henderson needs to show his quality again before anyone can suggest he’s the man to replace De Gea.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Are we back to pretending Henderson has made more mistakes than he actually has? He’s coming back this season, if he isn’t getting a different loan then they’ll battle it out for the position and the best keeper will get it, it’s a good problem to have.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Are we back to pretending Henderson has made more mistakes than he actually has? He’s coming back this season, if he isn’t getting a different loan then they’ll battle it out for the position and the best keeper will get it, it’s a good problem to have.
It’s not pretending it’s a fact being ignorant of that fact only serves to prove that reduced media coverage has helped his reputation in addition to his excellent performances.

Absolutely it’s a good problem to have but surely Henderson should have to prove his worth before offering him such a high contract. If he performs poorly we’ll have another player on high wages we’ll be unable to shift.

Dec9003

It’s not pretending it’s a fact being ignorant of that fact only serves to prove that reduced media coverage has helped his reputation in addition to his excellent performances.

Absolutely it’s a good problem to have but surely Henderson should have to prove his worth before offering him such a high contract. If he performs poorly we’ll have another player on high wages we’ll be unable to shift.
Wasn’t it you that dragged up that Reddit thread snowing the mistakes, then when I critiqued it you went hiding?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think De Gea has done enough to start next season as our number one. But if he doesnt get his head straight and cuts out the uncharacteristic mistakes, then he shouldnt be undroppable and Henderson deserves his chance.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Wasn’t it you that dragged up that Reddit thread snowing the mistakes, then when I critiqued it you went hiding?
No I responded to as many points that were relevant to that discussion.

There will always be differences of opinion with regards to mistakes but that depends on what someone is looking for. Either way a comparable number of errors have been made by both it’s not like De Gea has made 20 and Henderson 2 for example.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I think De Gea has done enough to start next season as our number one. But if he doesnt get his head straight and cuts out the uncharacteristic mistakes, then he shouldnt be undroppable and Henderson deserves his chance.
I’d absolutely agree with this.

If we start seeing an abnormal amount of mistakes if Henderson is on 100k you have to give him the chance to do better.

The issue then becomes shifting a 275k goalkeeper having dropped him. I wouldn’t want to be trying to get a deal that way

Leonzo1

I don't get why people are panicking over the 100k we'll give Henderson. It's pretty clear to me what the plan is and honestly it's a win win situation for us. We let Dean and De Gea fight it out this season, if Dean has the upper hand he will be our #1. In the case That De Gea steps up he'll remain as our first choice in Wich case we will have conversations with Dean, if he's ready to wait another year or two he will get sent on loan until De Gea leaves and if not then we sell him for a very nice fee and eventually look elsewhere to replace De Gea. Again, A win win situation for us.

Dec9003

No I responded to as many points that were relevant to that discussion.

There will always be differences of opinion with regards to mistakes but that depends on what someone is looking for. Either way a comparable number of errors have been made by both it’s not like De Gea has made 20 and Henderson 2 for example.
No, you asked me to critique it, called me lazy, then stopped responding when I did. De Gea is one of the most error prone players in the premier league over the last two seasons. I think it was Dubravka from Newcastle that has had more errors leading to goals in that time. Henderson has made far, far fewer errors than De Gea, is capable of great saves himself and is a better communicator with his defence. He’s earned his contract and he’s earned his chance.

EwanI Ted

The mistakes are a bit of red herring to be honest, even if they brought peoples attention to De Geas form. The real issue is that his all round play is basically midtable in every way and has been for two seasons now, yet this guy gets paid almost £20m a year for the privilege.

Dec9003

The mistakes are a bit of red herring to be honest, even if they brought peoples attention to De Geas form. The real issue is that his all round play is basically midtable in every way and has been for two seasons now, yet this guy gets paid almost £20m a year for the privilege.
It’s a shame because he’s been brilliant for us over the years, he’s one of the clubs best goalkeepers of all time, but time waits for no man unfortunately.
Henderson coming in might give him that edge to get back to his best, if it doesn’t we have a young talented goalkeeper ready to takeover. I don’t really see how it can be seen as a bad thing for Henderson to come back.

hmchan

(1) The whole point of PsXGA is compared to an average GK. positive is above average bu

Henderson has had a good season at a smaller low pressure club. Young British GK has one good season in the PL and becomes next best thing. Where have we heard that before?

Pickford
Hart
Foster
Forster
Pope
Butland
Gunn
Kirkland

More British GKs have one off wonder seasons and then fall by the wayside in fact the only consistent example I can think of was David Seaman in the PL era.

(2) Believe it or not I really like Henderson but (3) if we want a cross stopping commander of the box he’s not the best choice.

If you want a ball playing GK he’s certainly not that so essentially he’s a very good shot stopper based on one season of performance at a PL level.

This is without any of the media scrutiny week in week out that United GKs have and in a low pressure environment. (4) Henderson makes a mistake and its forgotten about the next day. De Gea and it’s brought up 6 months later.

(5) He’s had a very good season but so did De Gea in harsher conditions
so what evidence do we have that this wasn’t just a positive blip and that he won’t now tend towards being slightly above average or worse? Zero. We’re so keen to remove the old and have the new shiny toy that sometimes we discard or belittle without appreciation of what is there. (6) De Gea has won everything trophy wise with United apart from CL. He’s a proven winner.

(4) Henderson has made just as many mistakes as De Gea the only difference is one is analysed to death and the other gets a free ride.

It’s great to have two GKs but surely Henderson needs to show his quality again before anyone can suggest he’s the man to replace De Gea.
1. According to Understat (which you quote to suggest de Gea being the best in PL history), his PSxGA was -1.70 in 18/19.
2. You keep ignoring Henderson's strengths and making excuses for de Gea's weaknesses. Claim whatever you want but no one here believes that.
3. Henderson has 20 high claims (8th in the league) and 16 punches (6th in the league) this season, which are significantly better than de Gea's 10 high claims (19th in the league) and 9 punches (14th in the league). Henderson deals with 7.9% of the crosses put into his box (5th in the league), which is also significantly higher than de Gea's 5.2% (18th in the league). So no, Henderson is a better cross stopper and is much much more commanding in the box.
4. de Gea's errors are kept being brought up because he makes them more frequently, and the mistakes are more repetitive, stupid in nature.
5. Henderson outperforms de Gea in every metric this season, so stop acting like they have similar performances but receive different treatments.
6. The Class of 92 has won everything trophy wise and they've been proven winners, they should have stayed in the team forever.

lsd

The Oracle
Whoever plays the first game needs to be number one for the season .

I don't want to go to the days where we were swapping Howard and Carroll every time they made an error.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
After DDG's performances over the last two seasons, an argument could be made that goalkeeper is a priority position. And Henderson might be the answer.

In another comment you mentioned that goalkeepers often play until 36 at the top level. Normally that's only true for keepers that have a very strong all-round game. DDG, quite simply, does not. He is a goalkeeper who relies almost entirely on his reflexes and athleticism, while the rest of his game is actually quite a bit below average. It's a testament to how ridiculously good his strengths were that it enabled him to more than compensate for the negatives to the point that he was the best in the world for a while, but it was always unlikely that he would have a long career. I'm not sure whether that's the case now and his decline happened even earlier than expected, or whether this in more of a mental and confidence issue. That would be it's own problem.
This..

Jonno

If DDG comes back next season without his random mistakes, he’s one of the best in the world. I think Hendo being here and training with him, challenging him for that number 1 spot might actually make DDG better.

if he doesn’t make DDG better, then promote Hendo. Win win

RuudTom83

Every position in the starting eleven needs competition, DDG hasn't had any for a while so its time for him to sweat a little with Dean around.

No drama needed, just healthy competition.

I do think Romero will have to leave to make room but that is a different matter to the DDG vs Henderson debate.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
1. According to Understat (which you quote to suggest de Gea being the best in PL history), his PSxGA was -1.70 in 18/19.
2. You keep ignoring Henderson's strengths and making excuses for de Gea's weaknesses. Claim whatever you want but no one here believes that.
3. Henderson has 20 high claims (8th in the league) and 16 punches (6th in the league) this season, which are significantly better than de Gea's 10 high claims (19th in the league) and 9 punches (14th in the league). Henderson deals with 7.9% of the crosses put into his box (5th in the league), which is also significantly higher than de Gea's 5.2% (18th in the league). So no, Henderson is a better cross stopper and is much much more commanding in the box.
4. de Gea's errors are kept being brought up because he makes them more frequently, and the mistakes are more repetitive, stupid in nature.
5. Henderson outperforms de Gea in every metric this season, so stop acting like they have similar performances but receive different treatments.
6. The Class of 92 has won everything trophy wise and they've been proven winners, they should have stayed in the team forever.
1. I’ve never discussed which source do not sure where that’s from?

2. I have never once ignored Henderson’s strengths. I have consistently on this thread praised his shot stopping ability and agreed with anyone suggesting he is a better claimer of crosses. Just because I don’t gush and don’t want to arbitrarily push him into a starting spot doesn’t mean I don’t think extremely highly of him. He’s a good goalkeeper he has a long way to go to be a great one as De Gea is/was depending on your viewpoint. If you honestly think I don’t rate Henderson then you are an idiot because nothing I have said has been personal against Henderson I have even stated many times in this thread I’d like to see them compete my literal only issue is the contract being very high for a player who hasn’t done anything for United yet.

Ive also never once defended De Gea’s actual weaknesses cross collection for example has always been a weak point though it’s better than when he started.

3. I’ve never said he’s not good I said he’s not the best. Those stats show as I have said he’s good at it (again something if you look back I’ve praised him for) but not that he is the best. So if someone’s concern was crosses and command of area Nick Pope would be a better shout.

4. They are not due to frequency it’s due to him having a high profile. You’re being deliberately ignorant of the context of being at United and being at Sheffield United. Henderson has made stupid mistakes as have all other “world class” goalkeepers like Alison and Ederson. We don’t discuss their performances as much and so their mistakes go unnoticed.

5. I have never once claimed De Gea has had as good a season as Henderson. What I have said is that De Gea has had world class levels of performance Henderson isn’t quite there yet but I hope he will be one day. I have also said their is a distinct difference between being great at a smaller club and being great at United. Wouldn’t you agree?

6. You’re now just being stupid because even in this silly argument you’re forgetting those players stayed at United until they retired because they were proven trusted winners.

Id like to ask and have a response as to why you think Henderson is any different to Butland, Pickford etc? What makes him more likely to succeed at a big club where they couldn’t? They’ve all had stand out seasons and then dropped levels why do you think Henderson won’t do this?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Every position in the starting eleven needs competition, DDG hasn't had any for a while so its time for him to sweat a little with Dean around.

No drama needed, just healthy competition.

I do think Romero will have to leave to make room but that is a different matter to the DDG vs Henderson debate.
Which top team can you name where there is live competition for starting goal-keeper position? As in: what is the top team that doesn't have clarity on who their #1 goal-keeper is and where the second goal-keeper doesn't just play cup games, unless the #1 gets injured? I am struggling to think of such team.

sillwuka

Some might say De Gea might feel pressure because Henderson's sat on the bench but for me I think this will force him to cut out these mistakes and concentrate more.

ChaddyP

Which top team can you name where there is live competition for starting goal-keeper position? As in: what is the top team that doesn't have clarity on who their #1 goal-keeper is and where the second goal-keeper doesn't just play cup games, unless the #1 gets injured? I am struggling to think of such team.
I remember SAF actually did this back in the day with De Gea. No one remembers when we werent sure which Goal keeper SAF would use. Lindegaard was basically put in place as competition for De gea.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It will be interesting how this plays out. No one rotates keepers and you can't just change after every mistake. Such poor decision making to get in a position where we gave De Gea so much.

saivet

Barca with Ter Stegen and Bravo for a year or two.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Too long a contract and too much money too soon.

He hasn’t proven himself at the club and they have given him a free pass until he’s 29.

A 3/4 year deal at 100k or below would be palpable but there is zero guarantee that Henderson comes to the club and is outstanding.

I think he has a lot of potential and I really hope he ends up being our No1 and showing his quality but anyone suggesting this isn’t too much too soon and a big risk needs a head exam

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I can understand the frustration at giving him a massive new contract but I can’t believe there are people attacking him and making compilations of errors. He’s a product of your academy you should be excited with his potential, everywhere he has gone he has made an impression. Be patient with him just like you would if you had bought a shiny new keeper.

Best of luck to Dean, seems like he will definitely need it too.

Lee565

He has to be at this point in his career, sitting on our bench more often than not is not going to do his development any good.

mu4c_20le

I can understand the frustration at giving him a massive new contract but I can’t believe there are people attacking him and making compilations of errors. He’s a product of your academy you should be excited with his potential, everywhere he has gone he has made an impression. Be patient with him just like you would if you had bought a shiny new keeper.

Best of luck to Dean, seems like he will definitely need it too.
I think people are just moaning for the sake of moaning, probably irritated by the lack of transfer activity. Bizarre to see a complete 180 considering most were clamouring for him to take over De Gea immediately after being rated as one of the best keepers in the league this season.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I think people are just moaning for the sake of moaning, probably irritated by the lack of transfer activity. Bizarre to see a complete 180 considering most were clamouring for him to take over De Gea immediately after being rated as one of the best keepers in the league this season.
It’s crazy, back your own.

SAFMUTD

I dont understand why are we so obsessed with overpaying our players. He has played for 1 season in the premier league, and we offered him a 120K a week contract? FFS that makes him the 4th best paid GK in the league. Only De Gea, Kepa and Schmichel earn more. To give some context Alisson is on 90K a week, Ederson on 65K.

What the feck are we doing? is our strategy to keep the wages as high as possible? why would we even offer that amount? I mean FFS, Henderson is a good prospect but he wouldnt be able to find ANY club that would pay him even near that amount. Total stupidity from our board.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
This was the 11 we put out against Villa.
Total B team. Literally the only starters are Shaw (just back from long lay off), Lindelof and De Gea.

Anything to take from De Gea starting this game, given it was primarily the B team? Early indication we might at least start the season with Hendo between the sticks? Wishful thinking?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I can't really see Henderson starting ahead of De Gea. Commercially, De Gea would lose a lot of value if he was to be dropped and there's really no way back. Henderson can stay in the background and earn a reputation playing cup games. If he excels in those game then United might start looking for buyers for De Gea.

My biggest issue with De Gea is not the mistakes. He's a great shot-stopper but really need to be more commanding of the full 18 yards than his goal line more frequently. He puts an extra burden on the defence with his stay on-line policy, especially when both our central defenders not being blessed with dynamic pace.

Henderson is untested at the very top. Playing for United and Sheffield is very different and his every movement will be magnified. If he makes a mistake can he handle the pressure? I also think he'll have to adapt his game to what I was watching at Sheffield. United prefer to play and build from the back. At Sheffield, he always just kicked the ball aimlessly further up the pitch. I'm not sure if that was instructions or he's not adept to passing to his teammates around the penalty area.

I voted De Gea to start.