Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Watching the friendly with Villa: Happy to report for the first 20 minutes of this game Henderson has been passing to his defenders and not kicking aimlessly up the field.

hmchan

Watching the friendly with Villa: Happy to report for the first 20 minutes of this game Henderson has been passing to his defenders and not kicking aimlessly up the field.
Can't understand the notion that Henderson couldn't make passes to his defenders.

red4ever 79

Going to be interesting season in this position. I do agree with Neville I cant recall any club being successful chopping and changing two keepers to give them both game time. Top clubs usually have a no 1 and then stick with him and back him which helps with continuity.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
De Gea will be moved on at the end of the season because I see no other reason to bring back Henderson if that isn't the case. The problem will obviously be offloading De Gea due to his wages. I also can't see any team with a forward thinking progressive coach wanting De Gea.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Going to be interesting season in this position. I do agree with Neville I cant recall any club being successful chopping and changing two keepers to give them both game time. Top clubs usually have a no 1 and then stick with him and back him which helps with continuity.
It's the hope that kills you. DDG was a fine goalkeeper, and for two seasons we've been hoping to get that back. I think the chopping and changing is in the hope that might happen.

At some point we have to say "This is not working" and bench the number 1. Personally I think this is long overdue. His situation is very reminiscent of Rooney and Sanchez.

Maybe Henderson is up for it, maybe we'll need a new keeper, but what DDG has been serving is not acceptable.

Jidaraku

I think De Gea will get back starting spot at some point of upcoming season.
The whole world will blame Hendo when his mistakes cost us points and he wont survive it.
The pressure surraunding this club is totally different from Sheffield United.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
I think De Gea will get back starting spot at some point of upcoming season.
The whole world will blame Hendo when his mistakes cost us points and he wont survive it.
The pressure surraunding this club is totally different from Sheffield United.
It certainly is, but that doesn't mean that Henderson can't deal with it. We'll see how it plays out, but I think this guy is the real deal - in terms of mentality.

Tony247

He's got everything to be the first choice gk of united.

CG1010

I saw that Ole praised Henderson's performance.. anything of particular note that he did? In the game highlights I couldn't figure out a thing he did at all.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I saw that Ole praised Henderson's performance.. anything of particular note that he did? In the game highlights I couldn't figure out a thing he did at all.
Probably not related to the actual performance, but more as a bit of encouragement for Henderson, and lighting a fire under DDG.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is this even remotely believable?
There was reports at the back end of last season that a number of players had lost faith in De Gea. So I would say it's believable because Henderson is vocal and better at commanding the area which relieves pressure off the back line which must be a breath of fresh air for some of our defensive players.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
There was reports at the back end of last season that a number of players had lost faith in De Gea. So I would say it's believable because Henderson is vocal and better at commanding the area which relieves pressure off the back line which must be a breath of fresh air for some of our defensive players.
Yeah and they are experiencing that every day at training now so bound to be making comparisons.

dave1956

He has never improved his control of his 6 yard area and certainly not been able to position himself to balls placed in the area of his far post, his kicking ability and distribution is poor. His main ability in shot stopping and his reflexes kept him at the forefront of goal keepers have over the last 2 years declined too the extent that his errors are out classing the saves he makes. Time to blood Henderson to see if he can be a top class premier keeper, if not at least we would have a season to look for one.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, maybe. Just hard to imagine they're throwing their teammate under the bus now on the sly. Cultural reboot and that. Anyhow, I did think Dave was a bit more commanding against Brighton, communicative. Maybe the competition is already having a positive effect.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
One thing I would note is that De Gea isn't the most media-friendly of players, rarely agreeing to do interviews. I heard one journalist point out that while of course a player like De Gea doesn't have to engage with the media, that lack of friends/allies among the journalists can then tell once the pressure comes on and stories are being written. Meanwhile Dean Henderson is both English and a prospective England #1.

It may well be that Henderson is indeed already on the verge of ousting De Gea but I would be inclined to take any media narrative pushing that idea with a pinch of salt.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think the decider will be who adapts better to coming off their line, for better or for worse we've started the season employing a high-line and if we want that to be successful then the keeper needs to adapt to a sweeping role.