Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This is far worse imo, that angle it shouldn’t be possible to score so easily from
I am not saying it wasn't a mistake but De Gea is scrutized far more than any keeper out there. I think he was just suprised by that nutmeg. Mistakes happen

Revan

Assumptionman
It was. He is not there to speculate and cover both, but to take the close one. Basic GKing. Same as Maguire not getting duped like a schoolboy.

Let me enjoy the game now
He is there to save goals. He tried to do it by covering both corners. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I'll care only about my corner, the other is on the defender is not a healthy mentality.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Getting nutmegged is a mistake? Well, that's new. Lindelof's heading ability is also questionable for the goal and of course DDG to be beaten easily once again.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I am not saying it wasn't a mistake but De Gea is scrutized far more than any keeper out there. I think he was just suprised by that nutmeg. Mistakes happen
He gets beaten a lot at the near post doesn’t he? Left the goal gaping

Idxomer

Am I the only one who thinks AWB was the most responsible for the goal?

mu4c_20le

Getting nutmegged is a mistake? Well, that's new. Lindelof's heading ability is also questionable for the goal and of course DDG to be beaten easily once again.
You should never, ever be nutmegged inside your own box

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There was a few mistakes before Stanislav scored the goal. We could start from when the cross came in from the Bournemouth right but a EPL keeper has to cover his near post.

I don't care if Henderson did this or that because there's many good keepers in Europe who would be a upgrade.

Rafaeldagold

DDG needs to be replaced but Henderson from what I’ve seen doesn’t look good enough either.

Big rethink in goalkeeping department needed I think

Teja

It's on De Gea. I think he thought his positioning got the near post covered but was off by maybe a few inches. Unfortunate, but a mistake nonetheless.

mu4c_20le

And if the choice is between DDG and Henderson, I'd much rather spend big on a better keeper. Neither are ready if we are to challenge for top honours next season (if De Gea doesn't return to form).

SmallCaine

At what point do you say enough is enough with the amount of mistakes he is making, he's the highest paid keeper in pl. If he can't play like it, he should be under scrutiny.

Renegade

I ain’t having that as a goalkeeper mistake. Stanislas smashed a raised powerful shot from a couple yards out. Did anyone expect a shot like that from that angle? You’re thinking his rolling that across the goal for a tap in or hitting it low and hard.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I ain’t having that as a goalkeeper mistake. Stanislas smashed a raised powerful shot from a couple yards out. Did anyone expect a shot like that from that angle? You’re thinking his rolling that across the goal for a tap in or hitting it low and hard.
I dont think its a "mistake" but its not good goalkeeping either. Look at De Gea's final position - its like he made himself as small as possible.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Blaming Dave for the goal is a bit of a joke.
His position is all wrong. He should not get beat at the near post like he did. Doesnt mean that others didnt make mistakes. Like Maguire

rstubh

You don't expect that kind of shot because the goalkeeper is always supposed to be covering that angle.

AKDevil

shouldn’t be possible to score from that angle. I’m not one of those ‘goal conceded at near = automatically equals error’ but that narrow, keeper has one thing to do, one angle to close off.

RepardReece

Not so sure why people are still sticking up for De Gea, performance today reminds me of Karius at Liverpool. In fact, to back that up, one of my friends messaged me today watching the game saying we look like Liverpool did before they bought Virgil and Alisson.

koop

Ok it wasn't De Gea's fault Maguire got megged.
But he should not be letting that ball in on the inside of the goal from that angle.
Goalkeeping basics to cover that angle, which he didn't.
That goal is on Maguire AND De Gea.

Edit; Not going to bother going into details of some of the passes DDG has done either.

Ekeke

If the move is executed perfectly by the opposition, how is it a mistake?
Because a good CB knows he cant be beaten with a ball through his legs, just like a good goalkeeper knows he cant be beaten at the near post. Its Maguire's mistake and then De Gea's

It could be perfectly executed against an average CB who just knows he cant let the ball go through his legs and then it doesnt work

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Because a good CB knows he cant be beaten with a ball through his legs, just like a good goalkeeper knows he cant be beaten at the near post. Its Maguire's mistake and then De Gea's

It could be perfectly executed against an average CB who just knows he cant let the ball go through his legs and then it doesnt work
If we're talking mistakes from the outfield players, Wan Bissaka's slow reaction is more to blame.

The shot at near post was above his outstretched leg. De Gea from 2 years ago saves that. Easily.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
For me it is not even the goal, it is all these little mistakes that happen way too often. Something needs to change, maybe give Romero a run now

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They probably never told you not to score an own goal either.

Being flat footed, legs akimbo where he was in the box when the attacker has the ball like that is very poor defending.
Scoring own goal could be an unlucky as well. So depends on the situation here.

As a nutmeg person myself, I would rather give myself credit when I nutmeg opposition player in the box. End of the day being nutmegged is not a mistake.

diarm

You can't be letting that goal in at the near post. The Bournemouth keeper saved a near identical effort in the second half and it was barely mentioned because it's just textbook goalkeeping.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Scoring own goal could be an unlucky as well. So depends on the situation here.

As a nutmeg person myself, I would rather give myself credit when I nutmeg opposition player in the box. End of the day being nutmegged is not a mistake.
If you're defending 1 on 1 in the situation Maguire was in (full sight on the ball, attacking player stationary and facing you) and you get nutmegged, you fecked up.

Maguire is a top pro at a top club. How do you think he feels about the situation? That the attacker did well or that he messed up?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with the opening goal. He could and should have done better, but these things happen.
It's the other mistakes that are more worrying and making me question him. Not just the obvious howlers, but the poor passes in dangerous areas.

Foxbatt

DeGea should have never been beaten to that shot. He left a gap at the near post. Cardinal mistake. You do not let any daylight between the post and your body at the near post. If he got beaten at the far post it is mitigating circumstances. Not this time at the near post. He did not get beaten by the pace. He left a gap. A considerable gap too. Maguire, getting nutmegged is a different story and should have done better.
That said today DeGea put his defenders under undue pressure more than once.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He can take the spot easily, especially now..., but the real question is can he defend it for years to come.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If you're defending 1 on 1 in the situation Maguire was in (full sight on the ball, attacking player stationary and facing you) and you get nutmegged, you fecked up.

Maguire is a top pro at a top club. How do you think he feels about the situation? That the attacker did well or that he messed up?
It wasn't exactly 1 on 1 situation.

Maguire Literary was marking Solanke before the goal, blocking the Stainlas's shot/pass that went to Solanke, ball bounced back to Stainlas and he had time to think about it, Maguire went towards the ball and got nutmegged right away.

If anything credit to Stainlas and question where the feck the other defenders & midfielders why Maguire needed to stop 2 players and got blamed for it while the others who were ball watching aren't blamed for it.

el3mel

Ole needs to take the tough decision. It's tough but has to be done.