Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

RedDevilRoshi

Let him come back and battle it out with De Gea for first place.
No chance one of them will want to be number 2 to the other. Both of them will want to play week in, week out. It has to be either De Gea as United’s number 1 or Henderson as United’s number 1. Big decision coming up this summer.

Henderson has shown this season that he deserves an opportunity to make the GK number 1 spot at Utd his own. He was fantastic for Sheffield United in the Championship last season and has been even better this season that I will be shocked if he isn’t in the England Euros squad this summer. He’s a much better GK than Pickford.

Dante

Average bang
Aren't we like the second highest team in Europe for clean sheets?
DDG: played 31, conceded 33, clean sheets 9
Romero: played 13, conceded 2, clean sheets 10

United have 19 clean sheets, which is indeed the second highest in Europe (behind PSG on 21). But DDG is hardly to credit for that stat.

For what it's worth, Henderson is: played 31, conceded 24, clean sheets 11

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No chance one of them will want to be number 2 to the other. Both of them will want to play week in, week out. It has to be either De Gea as United’s number 1 or Henderson as United’s number 1. Big decision coming up this summer.

Henderson has shown this season that he deserves an opportunity to make the GK number 1 spot at Utd his own. He was fantastic for Sheffield United in the Championship last season and has been even better this season that I will be shocked if he isn’t in the England Euros squad this summer. He’s a much better GK than Pickford.
And both of them are contracted to Manchester United. If Henderson was told that the number 1 spot was up for grabs next season then I'm sure he'd zero in on it, and subsequently have no problem staying at Man United for a season. The way I see it, it's a win-win situation. We either get De Gea back to his best with some competition or we get a young goalkeeper taking his stop fair and square.

SweetRightFoot

De Gea’s all round game was never that great. Watch a DDG highlight reel and they’re all stunning reaction saves, you won’t see a wide range of goalkeeping disciplines. It’s easy on the eye for the average fan, I suppose. But you never see him marshalling the defence, or dominating his box, for example. He’s hardly ever pulling off those incredible worldies any more. He makes saves that, if we’re being honest, most goalkeepers would expect to make. Don’t get me wrong I love Dave, I just prefer my goalkeepers to have a bit more about them. At this very moment in time, Henderson would be an upgrade. The only question that people keep asking, is can he hack it when the spotlight of Man Utd is on him. And I honestly believe he can.
Nah. De Gea has made, and continues to make, saves other keepers only dream of. His footwork is A+ level, he's a great keeper. He ain't perfect but you're doing him a real disservice there.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Really because Romero has proven that he's a good number 1, has he? Being a confirmed number 2 doesn't carry as much pressure as does with number one. Think people are forgetting how many good goalkeepers we've had since Schmeichel left and VdS joined, yet none of them were anywhere good enough for a a prolonged period of time.
Well your whole point is how you want Henderson to come in to "battle with De Gea". What more is Romero supposed to do in his position as a 2 to "battle?" - He's getting clean sheets consistently.

If Henderson was in his position he would hit a ceiling if we keep De Gea the same way Romero has, you can't just switch every premier league game.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well your whole point is how you want Henderson to come in to "battle with De Gea". What more is Romero supposed to do in his position as a 2 to "battle?" - He's getting clean sheets consistently.

If Henderson was in his position he would hit a ceiling if we keep De Gea the same way Romero has, you can't just switch every premier league game.
There was never any talk of Romero battling De Gea for number one. Everyone knows he's number 2. Romero knows he's number 2. Do you actually think that Romero is a better keeper than De Gea because he has more clean sheets? I've seen nothing from Romero -- ever -- to suggest De Gea should be dropped for him.

De Gea isn't leaving this summer and Henderson will likely comeback, so the scenario that I'm proposing is likely to happen.

SuperiorXI

I reckon Henderson will be off somewhere else TBH. Can't see us letting go of DDG - a world class goalkeeper who doesn't get the credit he deserves sometimes on here.

Skills

Snitch

Barcelona managed it pretty well with Ter Steven and Bravo. Ter Stegen played all cup games and Bravo all league games, then Ter Stegen won the spot the following season

Jonno

It’s well documented that Romero has a long-standing knee condition preventing him from playing as a classic number 1, (40-60 games per season). He‘s content with being Man United’s number 2 and playing no more than 2-3 games per month

izec

Barcelona managed it pretty well with Ter Steven and Bravo. Ter Stegen played all cup games and Bravo all league games, then Ter Stegen won the spot the following season
No they didnt. They were both playing 2 seasons in a row, until City bought Bravo. Bravo was playing La Liga games usually and Ter Stegen the rest. Ter Stegen admitted that he thought about leaving at some points in the 2 years. Imagine if that had happened. Luckily for them, Pep bought Bravo and the decision was made for them.

izec

The big issue here is that people presume that Ole and the coaching staff arent biased. We got De Gea here on 400k a week, with a previous great past at the club. There is no way we would see a fair battle and the better keeper wins, when De Gea already has a massive reputation at the club. It is pointless in my eyes, it isn't how good Henderson is, but rather how bad is De Gea. If De Gea keeps an average level, he will be playing, while the better keeper won't get a look in and get time and games on the row to cement his place and show his worth. The lower cup games nobody cares about

AaronRedDevil

Romero would have been top of the league with 20 clean sheets had he been the main gk.

Skills

Snitch
No they didnt. They were both playing 2 seasons in a row, until City bought Bravo. Bravo was playing La Liga games usually and Ter Stegen the rest. Ter Stegen admitted that he thought about leaving at some points in the 2 years. Imagine if that had happened. Luckily for them, Pep bought Bravo and the decision was made for them.
Okay fair enough, I still don't think it's a bad option for one season. If they both play well, you've done a good job of putting them up on the shop window. Then you can sell one at the end of the season.

Stacks

I'm over De Gea. It's always a risk as GK can sometimes struggle making the step up to suring up a big club but De Gea doesn't do this anyways so the risk is minimalised. If Hendo comes and is shaky, we have swapped one shaky GK who is free for one on insane wages so may aswell just twist

MileStolar

If Henderson and Sheffield want to continue this next season I think that's the best deal for all parties involved.

It's so rare to have a chance that some premier League club develops your player for 3 seasons straight, so that makes United happy.
On the other hand Sheffield don't need to invest in new keeper for another year and can spend money elsewhere which is a big plus for them
And Henderson continues to grow and play every game under less pressure than he'd have here.

Keep it like this for another year for the sake of all parties involved and then after that loan we'll see what next.

Red00012

United have 19 clean sheets, which is indeed the second highest in Europe (behind PSG on 21). But DDG is hardly to credit for that stat.

For what it’s worth
PL Clean Sheets
DDG -7
Henderson -9

I’d still have Henderson on loan for another season . Even if I’ve read on this thread his new contract was worse than signing Sanchez on his contract and he’s suffering from depression.:houllier:

Djemba-Djemba

Nah. De Gea has made, and continues to make, saves other keepers only dream of. His footwork is A+ level, he's a great keeper. He ain't perfect but you're doing him a real disservice there.
I mean it's not is it?

He saves a lot of shots with his feet but his footwork with the ball at his feet is very average.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How good is Henderson at set pieces and coming off his line?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
As more of the job is mentality-based than with any other position on the pitch, I'd want to know how he deals with being in a real spotlight for a higher profile club before committing to him as number 1. If a CL team in one of the bigger continental leagues would have him on loan for a year or two, I think that would be the way to go. Similar to Chelsea having Courtois out on loan at Atletico while they still had Cech.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
As more of the job is mentality-based than with any other position on the pitch, I'd want to know how he deals with being in a real spotlight for a higher profile club before committing to him as number 1. If a CL team in one of the bigger continental leagues would have him on loan for a year or two, I think that would be the way to go. Similar to Chelsea having Courtois out on loan at Atletico while they still had Cech.
Cech was brilliant then. DDG isnt

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Cech was brilliant then. DDG isnt
I'm not sure Cech was ever all that brilliant post-scrum cap. I also don't think De Gea is anywhere near bad enough to where we immediately need to replace him and roll the dice on a young keeper who is unproven at the top level. If De Gea did fall off a cliff in that situation, we'd still have Romero to steady the ship, and a more experienced Henderson to come back. I think it's the lowest risk move we could make, if there are any clubs of that level that need a keeper and will take the punt.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
How is that a "disservice" by @El Zoido ?

He's not slagging him. He said he's made great saves and continues to make some (like Everton). BUT, he's saying he isn't doing the other stuff.

Do you think his marshalling of the defence is strong? He controls the penalty area when crosses come in? He's good with the ball at his feet (doesn't put it straight out of play... doesn't let opponents charge him down)?

(I'm 50/50 fwiw)

RyRy11

I don't think I've watched a single Sheffield Utd game this season so my opinion is based on stats and word of mouth but if he is as good as suggested then maybe it would be smart to let him have one more year loan and bring him into the team. This gives us a year to shop DDG around to get some decent value for him, we need at least £60m no doubt. I love Dave but adding new blood is important, its hard to see where his motivation comes from when the team has been struggling and I feel like its seeping into his game as of late.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm not sure Cech was ever all that brilliant post-scrum cap. I also don't think De Gea is anywhere near bad enough to where we immediately need to replace him and roll the dice on a young keeper who is unproven at the top level. If De Gea did fall off a cliff in that situation, we'd still have Romero to steady the ship, and a more experienced Henderson to come back. I think it's the lowest risk move we could make, if there are any clubs of that level that need a keeper and will take the punt.
I actually think Cech might've been one of the best goalkeepers we've seen certainly in the Premier League if it wasn't for the injury.

James Peril

I don't think I've watched a single Sheffield Utd game this season so my opinion is based on stats and word of mouth but if he is as good as suggested then maybe it would be smart to let him have one more year loan and bring him into the team. This gives us a year to shop DDG around to get some decent value for him, we need at least £60m no doubt. I love Dave but adding new blood is important, its hard to see where his motivation comes from when the team has been struggling and I feel like its seeping into his game as of late.
Ok, so you want to bring back a keeper you have never watched and replace the current keeper that’s been world-class for many, many seasons... due to lack of motivation. The last part is obviously touching something, but what about bringing in players of his calibre instead?

We are 7th, behind Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield United... I kind of understand why DDG might not be that highly motivated given the assurances he received when signing a new contract, after being declined a move to Real Madrid. It’s up to the club and hopefully a real, professional manager to bring it back.

To get back to where we want to be, DDG and Pogba are paramount. Do you think players like Sancho will come if we sell Pogba and DDG? I think many would be in for a big surprise. Being the goalkeeper for Sheffield United is easy as nobody gives a shit, representing United is magnified x1000 and every error hits the front page.

sparx99

Henderson has made some high profile mistakes. Last summer at the u21 Euros and earlier this season against Liverpool. He seems to have bounced back well each time which suggests he has a strong mentality.

Castia

Give Henderson 1 more season at Sheff United in the Premier League, i think he'll be ready in 18 months.

Will be nice if he makes the England squad this summer, will be a good experience for him.

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

Pretty sure 2 things need to happen for Ole to go for Henderson as no1 next season:

1. Henderson need to grab the England spot and show he can handle that. If Southgate doesn’t trust him to be no1 instead of Pickford, there is no way Ole would sell DDG to make Henderson no1.

2. Someone need to make a good offer on DDG. If not I assume Henderson will be loaned out again, DDG will never be anything else than a no1 gk.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The big issue here is that people presume that Ole and the coaching staff arent biased. We got De Gea here on 400k a week, with a previous great past at the club. There is no way we would see a fair battle and the better keeper wins, when De Gea already has a massive reputation at the club. It is pointless in my eyes, it isn't how good Henderson is, but rather how bad is De Gea. If De Gea keeps an average level, he will be playing, while the better keeper won't get a look in and get time and games on the row to cement his place and show his worth. The lower cup games nobody cares about
So just to clarify, you've decided Henderson is a better keeper than DDG, right? We aren't talking current form here either, we're saying he is simply better? That's one hell of a claim.

It's odd to call it bias when Ole has no real affiliation to DDG, nor any incentive to pick him over someone who is hypothetically better. It's their jobs on the line after all.

Green_Red

Thanks for getting the stats. I mean my opinion is this is one of De Gea's worst seasons. It's Hendersons best. If I were manager I'd be inclined to stick with De Gea next season, bring Henderson back and then if De Gea continues to make mistakes make the switch mid season. But then looking at the stats the argument can be made that if anyone is going to replace De Gea as our first choice it should be Romero.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
One thing is for sure, the guy is obsessed with being number 1 at Man Utd. Regardless of the debate about him vs de Gea he loves your club and will give his best for you. He’s got it all to succeed at the very top it’s a mystery why Southgate continues to watch him but decides not to use him. A real gem.

cyril C

Henderson is not going to be no. 2 if he has any say on this. So either DDG is sold to RM for 70m as rumour, which I have doubt, or DDG stays.

If DDG stays, Henderson loan out for another season. If DDG leaves, Henderson and Rameo battle out for #1.

izec

So just to clarify, you've decided Henderson is a better keeper than DDG, right? We aren't talking current form here either, we're saying he is simply better? That's one hell of a claim.

It's odd to call it bias when Ole has no real affiliation to DDG, nor any incentive to pick him over someone who is hypothetically better. It's their jobs on the line after all.
maybe you lived under the rock the last 2 years, yes he is better. By simply watching the game and by statistics/stats. It is not a bold claim at all. Unless you go by reputation, then i can't help you. You are probably one of the guys who still think he is world class, even if he made more mistakes in the last 2 seasons than any world class keeper has ever done. No he is not world class by having an occasional great reflex save (decreasing), when all the other aspects are average to poor and the mistakes keep piling up.

If he was a new keeper that came in 2 seasons ago, people would lambast him. Romero isn't better by the way, and De Gea isn't shit, but he isn't very good either. Not for what we pay him and not what he used to be. If there is a better keeper around, that happens to be from the academy, i don't see the point in De Gea when everything speaks against him, except for sentimentality and (decreasing) reputation.

passing-wind

Solskjaer just doesn't have the bottle to drop De Gea but I do like Henderson he as well as Romero deserve chances in the first team.

De Gea's temperament has been quite poor since his terrible form in the world cup. I can understand bad form over a period of a season but for a too club a keeper approaching three years in bad form questions need to be asked.

AaronRedDevil

Nonsense. Romero only plays against secondary opponents.
10 clean sheets in 13 games is no joke. I do love that reason. It's almost true but he has played big teams and still performed. He's still made to many amazing saves regardless. Also I was kinda joking. But he probably would get a lot more CS then De Gea.

mannbeist

Pretty sure 90 % of the people that want henderson have only seen him play a couple of games this season. And is only jumping on the recent hype. Not saying he is bad. But this is so typical redcafe.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
maybe you lived under the rock the last 2 years, yes he is better. By simply watching the game and by statistics/stats. It is not a bold claim at all. Unless you go by reputation, then i can't help you. You are probably one of the guys who still think he is world class, even if he made more mistakes in the last 2 seasons than any world class keeper has ever done. No he is not world class by having an occasional great reflex save (decreasing), when all the other aspects are average to poor and the mistakes keep piling up.

If he was a new keeper that came in 2 seasons ago, people would lambast him. Romero isn't better by the way, and De Gea isn't shit, but he isn't very good either. Not for what we pay him and not what he used to be. If there is a better keeper around, that happens to be from the academy, i don't see the point in De Gea when everything speaks against him, except for sentimentality and (decreasing) reputation.
I'm sorry, I thought you were capable of having an adult conversation. Byeeeeee.

pacifictheme

Solskjaer just doesn't have the bottle to drop De Gea but I do like Henderson he as well as Romero deserve chances in the first team.

De Gea's temperament has been quite poor since his terrible form in the world cup. I can understand bad form over a period of a season but for a too club a keeper approaching three years in bad form questions need to be asked.
2 years. Didn't this whole thing start at the world Cup?

Also, although he doesn't appear to be a typical leader, from social media stuff ddg appears to be quite a senior and well liked member of the squad. I wonder what effect selling him would have on the dynamics of the dressing room.