Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Dante

Average bang
It's possible for a 30+ player to be the best all round goalkeeper in the world.

It's not possible for a 30+ player to be the best shot stopper in the world.

That's just biology.

DDG's status as the world's best was almost exclusively down to his shot stopping. Without that, he's nowhere near the upper echelons.

As a 29 year old, de Gea's best attribute is going to start abandoning him very soon (if it hasn't already). Unfortunately, he doesn't have the leadership qualities, the organisational/communication skills, the command of the box, the sweeping instincts or the upper body strength to stand out from the rest of the pack.

DDG may still be able to pull off the odd world class save in the next year or so, but the definite upsides of bringing in Henderson massively outweigh the faint hope that DDG will magically recapture his youth.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Henderson is not at DDG's level. De Gea will be our first choice GK next season, and rightly so.

Last edited:

Reiver

I'm not ready to give up on DDG just yet. I'd like us to keep Henderson at the club next season and let the two of them properly fight it out for the starting position - whoever is playing better keeps the jersey.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I've wanted to replace DDG for a while - no slight upon him, seems like a nice bloke and he's given us some great memories but time to move on.

I also think DDG is wildly over-paid - as is usual with Woodward.

Henderson should absolutely be brought in next season. Sell DDG and save on his ridiculous wages.

Welbeckham

The obsession with De Gea's saves is weird on here. Every good goalkeeper in the premier league makes them. He gets paid 300k a fecking week and does THAT in minute two of the game. How can you excuse that. I don't see the motivation in him to win. He's a talented goalkeeper that's won titles with us but I'd rather take Deano who's got the fecking hunger to prove himself. And hey turns out Hendersons up there in PL cleansheets and is United bred. It isn't fecking rocket science.
Literally this. Even someone like Tim Krul makes those same saves but because he’s big and clumsy and their defence usually gifts a few goals anyway, nobody cares. Goalkeeper needs to have much more and De Gea never did, that’s why he was never actually best in the world, I think he would’ve been crucified by the media a long time ago if he was English, but instead there’s this myth that he’s been some kind of otherworldy goalkeeper.

This witch hunt is bizarre.
Kepa, who is the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, was benched for an 38-year-old for arguably less. De Gea is the highest paid keeper in the world and especially in that light, the fact that he is a very limited goalkeeper who’s made an unforgivable amount of easy mistakes in the last two years, should be criticized, and that’s no witch hunt.

ben.heff10

I'm not ready to give up on DDG just yet. I'd like us to keep Henderson at the club next season and let the two of them properly fight it out for the starting position - whoever is playing better keeps the jersey.
Yep, agreed. If we decide that DDG is still a level above Henderson, loan him/sell him with a buyback clause until he declines further. Similar to Chelsea with Courtois.

SweetRightFoot

Let him stay another year at Sheffield. If they get into Europe, even better for him. No sense in rushing him in and getting him to learn on the job, let him build up experience and character first.

After that, if he continues to improve, wouldn't mind shipping De Gea on; despite having been a huge fan of him.

passing-wind

Not a chance under Solskjaer he doesn't have the balls to drop De Gea as proven with his disgraceful form to end last season.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Changing keepers now won’t solve our problems anyway. We are just barely hanging on to 5th, and a long way from the top, not because of DDG solely.

We should just outscore opponents. Like we used to do.

acnumber9

No he doesn’t. I’m not sure anyone here has actually watched Henderson to know if he’s anywhere near as good as De Gea.

Djemba-Djemba

Changing keepers now won’t solve our problems anyway. We are just barely hanging on to 5th, and a long way from the top, not because of DDG solely.

I think if we'd changed our keeper last season after the Barcelona game we might have made top 4.

Instead we stuck with De Gea and he proceeded to have another 3 or 4 howlers before the end of the season and it cost us badly.

I don't know if Henderson is the right man for next season but we shouldn't just blindly stick with De Gea. He's been really really poor for a while now.

Skills

Snitch
Our fanbase is obsessed with our back line despite the fact over the last 5 years, the one constant is that we don't scoring enough fecking goals. This idiocy has caused us to constantly spunk 100s of millions on defenders already, while they're oblivious to the fact that our results are pretty much in line with our attacking output (bang average).

Now it's the keepers turn.

izec

Small or big errors have a big impact on the club and team as a whole. His errors last year cost us big time, missed the CL partially due to that as well, which has financial and transfer impacts. This season we are heading into a top 4/5 fight again, and again, a CL place would be very nice for sure and would help in getting back to the top in some ways.

His mistake today got Everton and their fans pumped up from the go, errors can lead to some bigger consequences. With a win today, momentum would have been great, seeing as we barely can win 3 games in a row in the league. Then you never know what can happen and how far the team can go, but we make life difficult without any reason.

I think we should strive to improve as a club on the whole, which also means every position should be improved. We won't outscore everyone currently, that much should be obvious by now. But we háre solid at the back to some degree at least, that is something to build on. If we can add a better keeper and be more solid plus improve attacking wise in the summer with some fresh transfers, that would be something.

izec

Our fanbase is obsessed with our back line despite the fact over the last 5 years, the one constant is that we don't scoring enough fecking goals. This idiocy has caused us to constantly spunk 100s of millions on defenders already, while they're oblivious to the fact that our results are pretty much in line with our attacking output (bang average).

This costs us nothing, it is for free. In fact, we could have more funds for attacking reinforcements.

It is true that we are more weak at attacking, but that is because we also didnt spend as much money on attackers so far, mainly midfielders and defenders. And if you can possibly improve a GK position for free internally, why not do it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I wouldn't trust any other keeper at the moment except maybe Ter Stegen to make the saves DDG made at the beginning of the match (like 8th minute?) or in stoppage time.

Thought we defended well as a team the whole match, players kept shape for the most part but Lindelöf's weakness was exploited much like we exploited the space around Davies the whole match. Everton put in a lot of dangerous crosses which our defenders managed to deal with because they kept their shape and were in the right positions but because of our scatter brained second half performance with the ball they managed to catch us on a break and ultimately it was De Gea who saved us. Of course he shouldn't have conceded that weird goal to begin with but his save shortly after looked like it really turned on the team who were on the backfoot up until then.

Foxbatt

Could it be a coaching issue? Yes he fecked it up big time today but pulled off two world class saves to keep us in the game. Not many keepers could have pulled it off. DeGea does so regularly. I am of the opinion that it is a coaching issue. I feel the way we defend is forced up on DeGea by the coaching staff. That is wrong. The keeper is the king of the box and he should be able to organise the defenders any way he wants to because ultimately if a goal is scored he is responsible.
All this not keeping players on the posts and goal line is creating uncertainty in his mind. He knows his weakness is coming out to high balls but if he knows that there are players covering his back when he comes out then he will come out. I have seen a change in the way we defend corners and high balls to see that DeGea is not comfortable to come out and at the same time I see no players covering him when he comes out. These are major issues in a keepers mental state too.
He is a top class keeper than needs helping from the coaches to find a way that he is most happy with the positioning of the defenders. I also feel that he does not shout at his defenders to help them get into positions.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We haven't had an Academy grad make it as a keeper since Gary Walsh, and as talented as Dean is he ain't the answer, he's not tall enough, not brilliant with his feet, and doesn't dominate the area enough for starters, got higher hopes for Matej Kovar to be honest, and if it meant giving Romero a few seasons till he's ready so be it.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It’s very easy to go from hero to zero on this forum.

for what it’s worth, I think Henderson is good and developing well but like a lot of Man Utd youth players he is heavily over rated by some here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It’s very easy to go from hero to zero on this forum.

for what it’s worth, I think Henderson is good and developing well but like a lot of Man Utd youth players he is heavily over rated by some here.
Which poster has over rated him?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I've wanted to replace DDG for a while - no slight upon him, seems like a nice bloke and he's given us some great memories but time to move on.

Henderson should absolutely be brought in next season. Sell DDG and save on his ridiculous wages.
Who would be dumb enough to pay 300k or godverdomme 350k/week for a goalie? The only way we can get a club to take him is if we give him away for free.

Then can you imagine the comments here a year after the move; and when DDG makes a great save or when Henderson makes an inevitable mistake? Posters here will be saying, another dumb move by Woodward and Ole Out. 'Incompetent'

So I am afraid we are handcuffed him for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

meamth

This is basically replacing a 89 overall Fifa rating GK to 78 rating GK.

I know it's not logical to apply on real life, but hell no, I won't do it yet, even in video games.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Dean still needs another season in PL imo to build up more experienced. The weight of being United keeper & Sheffield keeper is different. Jumping from being a promoted team keeper to giant club keeper is huge.

Unless if no club is willing to pay for DDG, I don't see us putting DDG on the bench or on sell list. DDG did well this season in positive moments to me but at the same he had some of absolutely embarrassing moments which cost us 3 points. So I put no comment about getting rid of him, but, he's on ridiculous pay check contract at the moment.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

This.
Well said sir.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Can't believe this thread.
For how many years was DDG our best player? How many World class displays has he given?
Then he has a dip in form as all players do and we get sh1te like this.
Cringe worthy.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Can't believe this thread.
For how many years was DDG our best player? How many World class displays has he given?
Then he has a dip in form as all players do and we get sh1te like this.
Cringe worthy.
When the dip in form carries on for more than a year than one has to talk about it.

What's this "oh he was so good in the past let's persist with him" mentality? He was great, yes but he single handedly cost us top 4 last season and crucial points this season. I mean why not bring Rooney back because he was so good for us in the past if we go by your logic?

finneh

I think if we're serious about restructuring our absurd wage bill then this has to be a logical step. Even if it's a slight step down in the short term.

Getting Sanchez' £350k p/w off the books, wiping around £200k p/w by trading Pogba for Fernandes and losing another £350k with De Gea for Henderson. Add in maybe Rojo, Jones, Pereira and Lingard and we've knocked around £60m with no huge drop in squad strength.

Whilst De Gea and Sanchez are here their salaries will be the go-to in negotiations. If Pogba or Rashford want a new deal they'll be pointing to their contracts as a benchmark.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He made a mistake . Countless mistakes of Henderson doesn't get big articles and scrutiny. We saw what happened with Ben Foster. Let's not jump on De Gea back considering he is having a bad season but it is after like 4-5 terrific ones
It does not really work like that. Rooney had about 10 brilliant seasons for us, that did not (and should not) inoculate him from criticism when he played poorly in his last years. De Gea was poor last season, especially near the end and has been poor this season as well

De Gea was hands down the best shot stopper in the world a couple of years ago, thats no longer the case. Add to the fact that his distribution is mediocre and hes downright poor in dealing with high balls in our own area

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What's this "oh he was so good in the past let's persist with him" mentality? He was great, yes but he single handedly cost us top 4 last season and crucial points this season.
I don’t get posts like this, what about Lingard, Pogba, Matic etc the list of players being slagged off at the end of last season was endless.

it’s a team game no one single handedly cost you top 4 last season. It was poor team displays.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Put Alisson in our net and I'd bet we ship more goals. He hasn't made a save even comparable to one of DDG's the whole time he's been in the Prem.

As for Henderson, I reckon some people are concentrating more on Sheff United's clean sheet record than what he's actually like as a keeper, seeing as so many here put all their value in select stats without context.
So far he has played 26 games, made 9 clean sheet, and only 22 goals concede. Yes it’s excellent stats for a 22 year old keeper.

I’ve never seen him play for 90mins so hard to make proper judgement, but from some footage I’ve have watched, he is quite impressive.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

What other team can or will pay DDG the kind of money he is dragging down with United ? The problem with overpaying players is not the team budget but no other team can afford to assume the wages.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

We haven't ignored any position, we have signed good number of players for every position.
DefendersCMAttacking playersLoan
Maguire
80​
Fred
47​
Bruno
48​
IghaloAttacker
AWB
45​
Matic
40​
James
15​
ZlatanAttacker
Dalot
20​
Schneiderlin
25​
Lukaku
75​
RomeroGK
Lindelof
32​
Schweinsteiger
6​
Sanchez
35​
FalcaoAttacker
Bailly
35​
Herrera
30​
Pogba
89​
Darmian
12​
Blind
14​
Mkhitaryan
27​
Shaw
27​
Fellaini
27​
Martial
43​
Rojo
16​
Depay
30​
Di Maria
57​
Mata
37​
Total
267​
Total
189​
Total
456​

Can argue whether to put Blind in defense or midfield, or Pogba in CM or attackers.

We have spent close to 450 million pounds on attackers and around 58% on defense.

We broke PL record to sign striker, broke world record fee to sign attacking mid, made one attacking player by far the highest paid player in England. Broke record for signing a 19 year old attacker, club record to sign winger from Madrid, club record to sign attacking mid from Chelsea. We also made Zlatan by far the highest paid player in PL when we signed him and paid huge loan fee for Falcao.

We have made good investment in attacking area, only problem is the managers we have hired have brought good performance in defenders but failed to bring the same from attackers, either that or we signed inconsistent attackers.

We needed RB btw, we have Valencia who was as good as retired, Young who was poor, Dalot who is very young and injury prone. We needed RB. We could have done better than AWB and Maguire though for the money paid but we needed CB and RB.

Chicharo

Even today, DDG made 2-3 world class saves. The first one was couple of minutes after the goal while Lindelof was far behind Lewing doing nothing. Yes, let's bring Henderson he is the solution

Chairman Woodie

I don't think replacing De Gea with Henderson is the solution.

Yes, De Gea has his weaknesses. Those weaknesses stem from his days playing futsal. Having said that, De Gea's futsal skills have saved United far more than his mistakes could ever cost.

He showed character and quality pulling off those saves against Everton. It's those saves that make De Gea a top class keeper, and one worth keeping.

Skills

Snitch
We haven't ignored any position, we have signed good number of players for every position.
DefendersCMAttacking playersLoan
Maguire
80​
Fred
47​
Bruno
48​
IghaloAttacker
AWB
45​
Matic
40​
James
15​
ZlatanAttacker
Dalot
20​
Schneiderlin
25​
Lukaku
75​
RomeroGK
Lindelof
32​
Schweinsteiger
6​
Sanchez
35​
FalcaoAttacker
Bailly
35​
Herrera
30​
Pogba
89​
Darmian
12​
Blind
14​
Mkhitaryan
27​
Shaw
27​
Fellaini
27​
Martial
43​
Rojo
16​
Depay
30​
Di Maria
57​
Mata
37​
Total
267​
Total
189​
Total
456​

Can argue whether to put Blind in defense or midfield, or Pogba in CM or attackers.

We have spent close to 450 million pounds on attackers and around 58% on defense.

We broke PL record to sign striker, broke world record fee to sign attacking mid, made one attacking player by far the highest paid player in England. Broke record for signing a 19 year old attacker, club record to sign winger from Madrid, club record to sign attacking mid from Chelsea. We also made Zlatan by far the highest paid player in PL when we signed him and paid huge loan fee for Falcao.

We have made good investment in attacking area, only problem is the managers we have hired have brought good performance in defenders but failed to bring the same from attackers, either that or we signed inconsistent attackers.

We needed RB btw, we have Valencia who was as good as retired, Young who was poor, Dalot who is very young and injury prone. We needed RB. We could have done better than AWB and Maguire though for the money paid but we needed CB and RB.
Those numbers are disingenuous because some of those attacking players were funded by the sale of other attacking players. For example you've counted £30m each for Sanchez and Mkhitaryan - how does that work when they were both a direct swap?

Once you take out the numbers money we got back for Depay, Di Maria, Mkhitaryan and Lukaku that net investment comes to about £286m in attack. And that's still counting Pogba as an attacker when he's spent the vast majority of his time here in a midfield two.

So that means our investment in attack (which is by far the most valuable part of a team) is actually only slightly more than defence using your own numbers for defence.