Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

hmchan

I'm coming around to this idea, the new contract is starting to look problematic
The deal was problematic from the first place. 375k for a keeper who repeatedly made horrible mistakes a few months ago and had been no more than average throughout the season? It is now virtually impossible to get rid of him, even if we want to. It's very likely he'll see out his contract like Rooney did, being the first name on the team sheet with mediocre performance. Just cross our fingers Henderson has the patience to wait for his chance.

el3mel

He should be next season. Enough is enough. Time to move on from De Gea.

RazorOz

And have a £350k/week goalie as a backup?
This shouldn't be what dictates our decisions. Being dictated to by who has the most wages is why you end up in a mess in the first place. Should Sanchez be straight back in the team as well? Arsenal have Ozil on 350k a week not even getting in the squad, if they can manage it so can we. It's likely if we dropped him De Gea will want out anyway given his position for Spain would be lost if he just stayed, and he'll probably find some suitors somewhere just like Sanchez did.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This shouldn't be what dictates our decisions. Being dictated to by who has the most wages is why you end up in a mess in the first place. Should Sanchez be straight back in the team as well? Arsenal have Ozil on 350k a week not even getting in the squad, if they can manage it so can we. It's likely if we dropped him De Gea will want out anyway given his position for Spain would be lost if he just stayed, and he'll probably find some suitors somewhere just like Sanchez did.
YOu are missing the point. If a 350k player is just sittling around collecting money, how do you think the other players will feel? How do you think he will behave after a few months of sitting around?

Its just not an easy solution as just benching him or even just ridding him.

Cloud7

And have a £350k/week goalie as a backup?
He's going to get paid regardless of if he plays or not. The damage is already done with respect to the contract. There's no point in persisting with him just to try to get some value on money that is theoretically already spent, when it's to the detriment of the team.

Ole recognized this when he relegated 500k per week Sanchez to the bench, and Lukaku as well regardless of what he cost and how much he was on. We can only hope he does the same with big Dave.

Utdstar01

PSG could be the only suitors for De Gea tbh. They have no problem paying stupid wages and they're getting Thiago Silva off of their books.

ICHM

You play the best team and at the moment, DeGea is 3rd choice keeper we have. I would bring back Henderson and give him a new 5 year contract and make him our No1. He can't make as many mistakes as DeGea is over the last 2 years. He has been rubbish since the last world cup for some reason. Bottle gone? Motivation gone?

RazorOz

YOu are missing the point. If a 350k player is just sittling around collecting money, how do you think the other players will feel? How do you think he will behave after a few months of sitting around?

That doesn't make the solution play him because of the wages he's on regardless. That just compounds the problem further. Did it make other players feel better that Sanchez was playing to earn his money even though he was stinking up the joint every week? I doubt it.

If he plays up then just freeze him out, I'm not sure there will be huge loyalty to him from within the current team. It's not like many have come through with him for many years, a number have only been around for when he's been at his absolute worst the past few years. He's hardly treated the club with great respect at times either, he's tried to force his way out, indeed the only reason he signed a new contract with us was by then he was on the wane and it was obvious no-one else would pay him anywhere near the wages we were offering.

The other factor here will be you risk losing Henderson too if you do this, yes he's a Man Utd fan, but he's not going to be willing to just sit around waiting for his chance for years, he will move on if we don't give him one.

saivet

PSG could be the only suitors for De Gea tbh. They have no problem paying stupid wages and they're getting Thiago Silva off of their books.
Maybe but the issue is, will PSG consider him an upgrade on Keylor Navas?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Yeah I think De Gea has had an amazing run but I think we should go in a new direction. I don’t think he gives any leadership to his defence and by all accounts he’s always been a very quiet goalkeeper.

He never dominates the box and I feel nervous every time we concede a corner or set piece because he almost never comes out to make it his.

MetoTTT

And how do you think other players will react if we still play him and he cost us important points?

siw2007

I don’t think he will be no.1 next year but I think he should be. I love De Gea, our best player and best goalie in the world for a good few years but errors are starting to creep into his game, probably a sign that he is coming down the hill. He is still a great player but I believe it’s time for both parties to move on and for him to seek a new challenge.
Unfortunately, in these times, I doubt there will be potential suitors. I would happily take 30-40 million for him in the summer but can’t see anyone paying that, especially with those huge wages.
I’m not worried about losing Henderson though. I know his contract is running down but he will be united no.1 before it runs out and will sign on very quickly.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah I’d be looking to bring him in next season while we’re completing the transition. De Gea makes some good reaction saves but if he’s going to just throw the ball in the net with the easy saves then it sort of renders that a bit pointless.

I saw someone on reddit describe De Gea as “a keeper who you beat by aiming at his fecking hands” and it made me chuckle because it’s so true. Football fans are a fickle bunch, and he’s been amazing for us in our lean years. But 10+ errors leading to goals is just too high to tolerate.

RonaldoVII

Why is Henderson going to agree to that? If Henderson wants to keep progressing and have a chance of being England's #1 next year he's not going to be happy to sit on the bench for the year.

It's like when Chelsea got Courtois back from Atletico, they brought him back to replace Cech, and we need to do the same with Henderson, he's been far better than De Gea this season, it makes no sense to think he needs bleeding in, that's why he's on loan in the first place.

Knowing Utd though we will take the easy option and loan Henderson out for another season to be made to look like mugs for another season.
Odds are he wouldn't be if De Gea's form keeps up. We've seen other goalkeepers look top class and then struggle at bigger clubs and Henderson is young and relatively inexperienced. May be a different matter if we're in the Europa but a big ask if we're in the Champs league.

Casillas was a very similar keeper to De Gea and this is about the time Real started to think about finding a replacement and cutting him loose. Are we going to be as ruthless and let Henderson try to stake his claim or follow the last few years of hanging on to players far too long.

Rory 7

The odd game aside De Gea has been shocking since the last World Cup. I think his performances for Spain have shattered his confidence.

hubbuh

I just do not see Ole dropping de Gea. It needs to fecking happen at this point, but I can’t see it unfortunately.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I mean in terms of sweeping. How good are his feet?
I'm not sure how good he is on the ball. In terms of total passes this season he has a 36% success rate according to OPTA. As compared to De Gea's 72%, Alison's 84% and Ederson's 87%. Obviously the way those teams play will factor hugely into that though, with (I'm assuming) Henderson playing the most low percentage long balls. Still, it does mean the main strength we can comment on is his shot stopping rather than him having demonstrated any particular ability as a sweeper.

SweetRightFoot

I'd have them both at the club for a season. Have them compete for the spot. Would be a test of character.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I've held on to the belief that De Gea could still get back to his best but as this point I think we have to be ruthless, we missed out on top 4 because of some shite keeping errors last season, he can't be costing us again, he's the best paid keeper on the planet. We've stuck by De Gea for 2 years where he's underperformed, at this point you've got to wonder when enough is enough. Next season I think the only natural choice is to give Henderson a shot.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Casillas was a very similar keeper to De Gea and this is about the time Real started to think about finding a replacement and cutting him loose. Are we going to be as ruthless and let Henderson try to stake his claim or follow the last few years of hanging on to players far too long.
Exactly. De Gea has been costing us for two seasons now. Add the world cup to that. We are lucky enough to already have a good gk in Henderson and even Romero. It would be dumb and cowardly not to start benching De Gea. Unfortunately I think we are waiting for him to drop the ball and kick it to his own net before deciding to bench him

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Exactly. De Gea has been costing us for two seasons now. Add the world cup to that and it's 3 years. We are lucky enough to already have a good gk in Henderson and even Romero. It would be dumb and cowardly not to start benching De Gea. Unfortunately I think we are waiting for him to drop the ball and kick it to his own net before deciding to bench him
Who taught you how to do maths?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I can't see Henderson coming in and being our number 1 just like that. Does he not need a season doing the cup games to bed in?
Why?
A decisive club would make him no1 next season

Ralph1386

Exactly. De Gea has been costing us for two seasons now. Add the world cup to that. We are lucky enough to already have a good gk in Henderson and even Romero. It would be dumb and cowardly not to start benching De Gea. Unfortunately I think we are waiting for him to drop the ball and kick it to his own net before deciding to bench him
Ole not benching him towards the end of last season is one of the reasons we missed out on Top 4 back then.

350K or not, the manager needs to make the players accountable for their mistakes.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ole not benching him towards the end of last season is one of the reasons we missed out on Top 4 back then.

350K or not, the manager needs to make the players accountable for their mistakes.
One of Ole's faults us that he likes to play it safe. He will play De Gea until it's painfully obvious he shouldn't be starting

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Not sure where people are getting the idea from that Ole wouldn't bench him just because he earns a lot. Ole also shipped out Sanchez and Lukaku, who were on big wages and cost a hefty fee (in the case of Lukaku). Not like he played it safe and cautious there.