Dean Henderson loan watch I Sheffield United 2018-19

King.of.Red

He's been amazing for the Blades and I hope he can help them to promote to EPL and maybe continue to play for them. and I hope one day he can be our main GK when De Gea decides to retire or leave.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Personally I think our strategy for keepers is very haphazard.

Clearly, unless you are exceptional like De Gea, keepers mature much later than outfield players so it makes sense to send them on loan to get experience.

But you then get to a point when you need to see if they can make it at United. Whilst they may not play every week, they could be a lot better than some of the average keepers we have had over the last 20 years as #2 and #3. But we seem never to trust them with the reserve keeper jersey.

The likes of Mike Pollitt, Tom Heaton, and now Dean Henderson could all have done jobs for us instead of Kuszczak, Foster, Ricardo, Valdes, Taibi, Carroll and others.

And whilst some will want regular first team football week in week out... I'm sure picking up League, League Cup and European Cup winners medals would be incredibly attractive.

Good to see Dean doing well. He is a nice kid from a good family and I hope he comes back and challenges for a place at Old Trafford.
That is the main point "some will want regular first team football week in week out" -> The better young goalkeepers like Heaton, Johnstone or Henderson......why should they be happy with 7-8 games at Manchester United (after successful loans) if they can play 50 games in the Championship........you must play as young goalkeeper otherwise you will probably never have a great career.

Someone like O'Hara would probably love it to be the #2 goalkeeper.

The #3 goalkeeper should be actually the U23 goalkeeper but to sign Grant for this season was probably the right decision or would you say that Kovar or Fojticek or Woolston would have been ready for that role?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
That is the main point "some will want regular first team football week in week out" -> The better young goalkeepers like Heaton, Johnstone or Henderson......why should they be happy with 7-8 games at Manchester United (after successful loans) if they can play 50 games in the Championship........you must play as young goalkeeper otherwise you will probably never have a great career.

Someone like O'Hara would probably love it to be the #2 goalkeeper.

The #3 goalkeeper should be actually the U23 goalkeeper but to sign Grant for this season was probably the right decision or would you say that Kovar or Fojticek or Woolston would have been ready for that role?
I would just loan them longer....

They also have to learn to fight for a place...thats football too.

However, it's rare to see keepers come through the ranks at clubs for this reason.

Kostov

If De Gea signs a longterm contract I would like to see Henderson take Romero’s place as second GK from next season, if he’s willing to do that of course, which I doubt. So either we prolong that for another season or we sell him with a nice buy back clause.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If De Gea signs a longterm contract I would like to see Henderson take Romero’s place as second GK from next season, if he’s willing to do that of course, which I doubt. So either we prolong that for another season or we sell him with a nice buy back clause.
Might be a doubly good deal if DDG doesn't end up signing a new contract.

SAFMUTD

I don't see the point on keeping him, he is young but DDG is the best and haves at least 5 if not 10 good years in him. Henderson doesn't have a chance, and to keep him as a number 2 with no oportunity to be number 1 in the near future doesn't make sense.

I think the best option is to sell him with a buy back clause as mentioned before.

Kostov

Might be a doubly good deal if DDG doesn't end up signing a new contract.
If DDG doesn't sign a new deal I wouldn't sell him at all to be fair. I admit I haven't seen entire matches from him only highlights, but if he's good enough to be linked with Bayern, Juve and Spurs, he surely deserves a chance here.

ColvaleGoa

Hopefully we sell him with a good buy back clause etc. Wonder how much we are going to get for him considering that European Heavyweights want him?

marktan

Sheff Utd currently top (with an extra game played), so good chance we see Dean in the PL next season if he extends his loan.

arthurka

Having a shocker after Sheffield were cruising. Last 10 minutes he has made 2 bad errors.

Backrow Singer

He has the potential to be an outstanding goal keeper. He’ll be better because of that today.

Have to say, social media knocks me sick at times. Some of the abuse grown men are giving to a 21 year old lad behind the comfort of their screens is sickening. Horrendous stuff. Must take a hell of a lot for these lads not to call a couple of them out on it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Weak on crosses. Then again De Gea was like that at his age.

Red_toad

I don't see the point on keeping him, he is young but DDG is the best and haves at least 5 if not 10 good years in him. Henderson doesn't have a chance, and to keep him as a number 2 with no oportunity to be number 1 in the near future doesn't make sense.

I think the best option is to sell him with a buy back clause as mentioned before.
I don't see Dave having another 10 years at the top, his attributes aren't that of a Buffon style keeper. If he leaves I don't see the need to externally replace him let the current crop battle it out to take the no 1 shirt. Really rate Henderson, looks the real deal...

SAFMUTD

I don't see Dave having another 10 years at the top, his attributes aren't that of a Buffon style keeper. If he leaves I don't see the need to externally replace him let the current crop battle it out to take the no 1 shirt. Really rate Henderson, looks the real deal...
De Gea may not last as long as Buffon, but for sure has at the very least 5 years in him, thats a lot time to wait for any player.

I don’t think Henderson would want to stay on the bench for at least 5 years, he will surely want to play week in and week out unfortunately for him theres al ready world class player in DDG and he simply won't outplay him.

Of course you never know what might happen and maybe Henderson is the next big thing but to relegate DDG to the bench is nearly impossible.

meamth

De Gea may not last as long as Buffon, but for sure has at the very least 5 years in him, thats a lot time to wait for any player.

I don’t think Henderson would want to stay on the bench for at least 5 years, he will surely want to play week in and week out unfortunately for him theres al ready world class player in DDG and he simply won't outplay him.

Of course you never know what might happen and maybe Henderson is the next big thing but to relegate DDG to the bench is nearly impossible.
I agree. De Gea's reflex will slow down over time and no other keeper in the world is agile as him.

Agility will deteriorate faster than any physical attributes, but I would suggest that De Gea will adjust because he is simply a top professional and the world's best.

The club will have some decision to make when De Gea comes to that point of his life. Henderson will sadly leave soon because his potential is just too massive to be wasted on the bench.

To wait until De Gea is 30+ will waste a lot of playing time for Henderson.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Should sign a clause that prevents him from playing against United at Old Trafford in the future. The former keepers always seem to bring it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

6 consecutive clean sheets.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sheffield United are 2 points behind Leeds who are at the top. Hopefully they get promoted, Henderson in a PL should be brilliant.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Seems to really connect with the fans as well, which is great.

Classical Mechanic

I saw his first save on Skysports news during the game, it was De Gea-esque with his feet and pretty amazing. The commentator described it as 'decent', which was an understatement to say the least.

deafepl

The real question is can he do better than or be good as De Gea in the future?

arthurka

I think we should let our Dave go.
He and Romero are good enough to play for us.
Paying a keeper 350k/w is ridiculous in it self. He really looks like the real deal this kid.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yep, we should leave one of the top keepers in the world, cause there if a youhh player who is doing well in Championship. Maybe we should have left VDS to go cause Ben Foster was doing well (in EPL actually).

Some people here have memories which puts to shame those of goldfish.

GBBQ

He's certainly capable of really incredible saves but if he's got the right temperament for a top club is something we won't know until he gets a shot.
I mean this is key. He's clearly doing well but United is a whole other level of intense scrutiny. De Gea looked great for Atletico, even winning a Europa League but his first season at united was patchy at best. He had the fortitude to prove himself and excel. Similarly Ben Foster looked brilliant at Watford, didn;t set the world alight at Man United but went on to have a decent career at lower level clubs.

Classical Mechanic

I mean this is key. He's clearly doing well but United is a whole other level of intense scrutiny. De Gea looked great for Atletico, even winning a Europa League but his first season at united was patchy at best. He had the fortitude to prove himself and excel. Similarly Ben Foster looked brilliant at Watford, didn;t set the world alight at Man United but went on to have a decent career at lower level clubs.
Ben Foster doesn't have the bottle for a top club. When he played for United he made a lot of basic errors and just looked afraid. There's a lot more pressure through exposure and expectation as you say. Goalkeepers at top clubs often have less to do as well so keeping their concentration and composure is a factor.

NYAS

Where does he rank in terms of the most talented goalkeepers to come out of our academy?

ArjenIsM3

It's a shame we have no place in our squad for him. Probably our best goalkeeper after DDG and Romero but I doubt he'll want to take Grant's place when he retires. Hasn't he said publicly he want to play regular football? If so then he'll leave after his contract with us runs out.

JohnnyLaw

It's a shame we have no place in our squad for him. Probably our best goalkeeper after DDG and Romero but I doubt he'll want to take Grant's place when he retires. Hasn't he said publicly he want to play regular football? If so then he'll leave after his contract with us runs out.
Indeed.
Think the best thing we could do in the interest of the club would be to attempt to sell him whith a buy-back clause included, but unless a team such as Everton sign him he’ll probably be up for a move again before De Gea’s ready for succession.

Based Adnan

Hopefully they get promoted and we see this kid in the PL. Looks to be doing well.
Reckon we'll see him in the PL regardless of whether they go up or not. He's far too good for the Championship.

AKDevil

Trust me, he has. Watch any of his interviews and you’ll see that mentally he’s fine. He’d back himself to play for United now. His self belief is through the roof. In fact he has so much that he will rub people up the wrong way. As long as you deliver, you can get away with it.