Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

kidbob

If Kai Harvetz is worth 75m then Dean is worth 30. Dean also once had a couple of good seasons.

Devil You Know

Can't believe you gave him that ridiculous contract.
We gave DDG a super-duper ridiculous contract. Then we told Henderson he'd be in a fair competition for the #1 spot.

Because of the above, Woodward painted us into a corner and gave himself no choice but to give Henderson a contract that was in the same stratosphere as DDG's.

Robbie Boy

I generally struggle to see anything positive about the way we handle transfers and contracts but isn’t that “ridiculous contract” the difference between us getting a reasonable fee from Forest vs him leaving on a free?
On the flipside; giving out these ridiculous contracts has stopped us getting decent money for players. Then people moan when Liverpool etc. sell on fringe players for decent sums, ignoring the fact that they are on much smaller contracts than our lads.

In no world should Henderson have ever gotten £120p/w to be a backup keeper. It will likely mean we won't be getting anything much for him by way of a transfer fee.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I generally struggle to see anything positive about the way we handle transfers and contracts but isn’t that “ridiculous contract” the difference between us getting a reasonable fee from Forest vs him leaving on a free?
Depends really how much you have paid him exactly for that contract. I think you've been very lucky that Forest decided to pay it all for you during his loan. I imagine that the summer he signed that contract, Sheffield United would have spent c. 20m (you could have likely squeezed 25m) for him given that they reportedly spent 18.5m on Ramsdale.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We gave DDG a super-duper ridiculous contract. Then we told Henderson he'd be in a fair competition for the #1 spot.

Because of the above, Woodward painted us into a corner and gave himself no choice but to give Henderson a contract that was in the same stratosphere as DDG's.
It's not even close to de Gea's contract :lol:

flappyjay

On the flipside; giving out these ridiculous contracts has stopped us getting decent money for players. Then people moan when Liverpool etc. sell on fringe players for decent sums, ignoring the fact that they are on much smaller contracts than our lads.

In no world should Henderson have ever gotten £120p/w to be a backup keeper. It will likely mean we won't be getting anything much for him by way of a transfer fee.
Just look at Harvetz who might be going to Real for 50m it helps that unlike Sancho he isn't paid 350k.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Can't quite see why Forest would be daft enough to part with £30m for the third best keeper they've had in the last couple of years, but I really hope they are.

Devil You Know

It's not even close to de Gea's contract :lol:
DDG's contract raised the curve for what was acceptable and expected.

You can't have two goalkeepers who are supposedly competing for the same shirt on £375k and £25k respectively.

Even if DDG is senior option with the longer history at the club, the numbers still need to be somewhat comparable. Going from £375k to £100k was just about the minimum we could have offered to Henderson because the benchmark had been set by Woodward.

The same principle applies to other areas of the pitch when two players expect to compete with each other on an even playing field. Dalot had just had his salary increased to £85k to match AWB. I don't think either is good enough to get that salary at any other club, but we've got to give the two of them parity since they're theoretically co-equal first choice.

flappyjay

Going from £375k to £100k was just about the minimum we could have offered to Henderson because the benchmark had been set by Woodward.
When Rashford negotiates his contract in the same vein he will look at how much Sancho is getting. He will then say a lesser player is on more than him.

Revaulx

Surely he would have been happy with less than the reported £120k per week we gave him? It’s unlikely he would have left on a free while he thought he had a chance to be our No 1.

A lower salary might have rendered him more marketable and created some competition for his signing, which (again) might have rendered us more likely to get a more than reasonable fee.

I don’t think the OP was suggesting that we shouldn’t have given him a contract at all.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
how much are they offering? Id sell him and use the money to get a new first choice keeper or at least competition for DDG. Raya or Costa would be good choices.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I guess it makes sense that we want De Gea to renew first, otherwise we’d get bent over for any keeper we showed even slight interest in. Would’ve liked us to just get rid of both and meet Costa’s release clause, but who knows what the plan is.