Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
He wasn't injured, he was fine. He just expected the ref to stop play and he didn't. It was pathetic.
It was the only time I've seen a ref not stop play when a gk is down. It never happened before, and hasn't happened since.

There's a lot to criticise De Gea about, and this scene shows his soft nature, but it was absolutely ridiculous not to whistle that dead

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Why do these discussions always turn into De Gea vs Henderson whenever anybody says anything about either? Neither are good enough.

Pick basically any keeper from any midtable team and they'd be an upgrade on both. Sanchez, Raya, Martinez, Sa, Pope. All big upgrades. Pretty much anybody besides Danny Ward because Leicester haven't got in a replacement yet - and when they do I'd be shocked if whoever the feck that is isn't better than Henderson and De Gea as well.
It looks like Leicester are going to stick with Danny Ward for the time being !!! Apparently we have no money to spend !!

JB7

It was the only time I've seen a ref not stop play when a gk is down. It never happened before, and hasn't happened since.

There's a lot to criticise De Gea about, and this scene shows his soft nature, but it was absolutely ridiculous not to whistle that dead
Why was it ridiculous not to whistle? He wasn't injured. You play to the whistle. It hasn't happened before or since because other goalkeepers don't play dead while the ball is in play.

mu4c_20le

I think it's made worse that no united player stopped to check on him. If everyone stopped playing then the ref would be forced to stop play.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Why was it ridiculous not to whistle? He wasn't injured. You play to the whistle. It hasn't happened before or since because other goalkeepers don't play dead while the ball is in play.
The ref had no way of knowing if this was the case or not

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I think it's made worse that no united player stopped to check on him. If everyone stopped playing then the ref would be forced to stop play.
Yeah that's a good point, we didn't really 'sell' it that well.

I'm not even claiming the ref was right or wrong by the latter of the law, but situations like this have been handled the same way forever, so surely De Gea was right to expect it would be managed the same way. Instead, only this one instance, was handled differently

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Should never have opened his mouth but I'm happy he's doing well and long may it continue. We will at least get a good fee for him.

Longshanks

The crap Twitter accounts gassing up a man who stood eight yards off centre when one v one against Salah, because he saved a pen.

He's Pickford MK2. An over confident, t rex armed keeper.
Ahhh the old world class forward goes clean through from the halfway line and puts it in the top corner making the keeper look silly routine.

Yep mo salah running clean through from the halfway line and scoring past him is definitely a barometer with what to measure him by.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Ahhh the old world class forward goes clean through from the halfway line and puts it in the top corner making the keeper look silly routine.

Yep mo salah running clean through from the halfway line and scoring past him is definitely a barometer with what to measure him by.
Top corner?! It went in the middle of the goal, on the floor :lol:

Longshanks

Top corner?! It went in the middle of the goal, on the floor :lol:
Bottom corner, certainly wasn't middle of the goal, and having probably the worlds best forward run clean through on goal from the halfway line with no defender in sight and slot it past you is really is a no hope situation for any goalkeeper.

Your only hope is the forward has a bad touch or fecks up the shot, but it was a very inform Mo Salah so there want much chance of that.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Bottom corner, certainly wasn't middle of the goal, and having probably the worlds best forward run clean through on goal from the halfway line with no defender in sight and slot it past you is really is a no hope situation for any goalkeeper.

Your only hope is the forward has a bad touch or fecks up the shot, but it was a very inform Mo Salah so there want much chance of that.
Please rewatch it. Everyone forgetting when punched one straight at him, into the net ?

Red-17

I will never understand how he did not get any run of games last season with how shit we were. It's not like De Gea was anything special in the second half of the season anyway. We played pretty much every possible combination of players but never gave the keeper who had already won the spot previously a single shot at the job. Ridiculous at the time and in hindsight given that one keeper will hopefully be gone in a years time while the other may either be our future number 1 or be worth 30+ million if we sell him.

davidmichael

Yeah I never understood that logic. It seems that some have decided that since Dean Henderson probably isn't "world-class" (or perfect), we might as well keep selecting DDG, who has been terrible for 4/5 seasons now

Surely in that scenario, even if you dont rate either that highly, you go with the lesser of the two evils?
This is what I’ve been saying for at least 2 years now, I’d rather have a good all round modern keeper than a world class shot stopper who offers nothing else at all and even that has declined a lot every year for at least 4 years.

I want to see a keeper that talks to his defence and helps organise it, who’ll act as a sweeper keeper so the defence can play a high line, who is good with his feet rather than acting like the ball carries the plague when it’s near them, that will come for the ball at corners and free kicks whilst also doing the basics well which Henderson does for all and De Gea doesn’t for any.

Lentwood

This is what I’ve been saying for at least 2 years now, I’d rather have a good all round modern keeper than a world class shot stopper who offers nothing else at all and even that has declined a lot every year for at least 4 years.

I want to see a keeper that talks to his defence and helps organise it, who’ll act as a sweeper keeper so the defence can play a high line, who is good with his feet rather than acting like the ball carries the plague when it’s near them, that will come for the ball at corners and free kicks whilst also doing the basics well which Henderson does for all and De Gea doesn’t for any.
Plus, as you say, DDG arguably isnt even a good shot-stopper now AND its debatable as to whether you even WANT a shot-stopper type. I read some interesting analysis on "throwback" goalkeepers like Loris and De Gea who rarely leave their line. In doing so, they buy themselves an extra split second to react to incoming shots, so thy might make one save in five other GKs wouldn't make. However, overall its a massively minus EV tactic because when it comes to goalkeeping, 'prevention" (i.e. sweeping/claiming crosses/smothering the ball/closing the angle) is far better than 'cure' (i.e. having to make a late reflex-save). An aggressive GK like Ederson or Allisson would likely have prevented three out of those five shots from ever being taken, or forced them to be taken earlier/from a more difficult angle

Bigsid

I get Ederson but dont see many of these sweeper keepers in the Prem? Courtois isnt a sweeper keeper and looks more solid than any of them. Henderson was bang average when he played for us, had little presence and made mistakes. We dont play out from the back as our defenders arent great and our midfielders cant take the ball from the keeper like some sides.

fallengt

Nice. Now we can sell him for peanut and get another overrated GK for 80m.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
There may be a Jan window recall clause in the loan deal - if so that’s the only way he’s going back to you - in this case though I don’t think there is.
I haven't read absolutely every post so I apologise if this has already been said: Nottingham Forest are pretty unlikely to have a recall clause in a season-long loan deal. Furthermore, because of the words spoken shortly after he arrived in Nottingham, it looked to me like Henderson himself expected this to be very much a loan leading to an eventual sale, not a return to United.

I suppose under extreme circumstances e.g. De Gea and Tom Heaton both pick up long term injuries simultaneously Henderson could be forced back, but how likely is that? I imagine a more likely option is for Man Utd. to buy a new 1st keeper and sell De Gea in the next 2 weeks, but again - who is available and who is going to sell at this late stage?

Last edited:

davidmichael

I get Ederson but dont see many of these sweeper keepers in the Prem? Courtois isnt a sweeper keeper and looks more solid than any of them. Henderson was bang average when he played for us, had little presence and made mistakes. We dont play out from the back as our defenders arent great and our midfielders cant take the ball from the keeper like some sides.
The thing is ETH does want us to play out from the back though which is what’s led to problems and it’s easy for us to keep saying it’s the defence but who’s the common denominator in everything ? That would be De Gea, yes our defence isn’t great but how much more nervy do you think they are knowing De Gea is behind them ?

I wouldn’t say Henderson was bang average for us and more simply decent but you saw the difference in the defence with there being communication between them and the keeper, if Henderson had been bang average here’s no way Ole promises him a run as number one as Ole would have had the perfect out.

It comes down to the fact of De Gea being on £375K a week and no one taking him off our hands so they’re no doubt being uproar from the board about a massive wage consigned to the bench, outside of the Madrid/fax machine debacle when has there been any interest in De Gea ? With us in free fall surely someone would want him if he was anywhere near a good enough level still but he isn’t therefore zero interest.

As I said I’d rather have a good, solid all round modern keeper than an occasional world class shot stopper who has been rapidly declining for 4 years now. Will Henderson be the answer long term ? Probably not, will Henderson be as good as De Gea was ? Again probably not BUT for how ETH wants to play and the fact Henderson is a much more modern keeper that won’t cost us a penny he’s a much better option than De Gea.

padzilla

Hipster
De Gea's not the answer but Henderson has shown emphatically he isn't either. There's absolutely no reason we couldn't pick up a better alternative for a mid-range, Chelsea got Mendy for something like 6 million and he's miles better than either De Gea or Henderson.

JB7

I'm not getting further into the Henderson comment because it's been proven over and over again to be utter nonsense despite him being relatively average but I'll pick you up on Courtois.

It is fair to say that Courtois is not considered a sweeper keeper, no. However, he still deals with balls in behind his defenders on average between 2 and 3 times more often than De Gea. He also deals with crosses into the box on average three times more often than De Gea. He also, on average, used the ball in open play 10 times more than De Gea per game (despite being in a much better team and having considerably less to do overall), which suggests he does at least show for the ball when his defenders needed him to, unlike De Gea.

So you've got a guy who I think everyone would accept is not what you'd consider a "sweeper keeper", and yet he's still so far ahead of De Gea it's untrue.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Bring him back as DDG is passing through the same horrible bad phase he had before.

lex talionis

If we're desperate for a silky, smooth passing keeper neither De Gea nor Henderson are it.

Praise for Dean's performance yesterday is in order. Poor pk shot by Rice or not, Henderson saved the pk. And made some other fine saves.

Castia

Weird how the starting 11 hasn’t been leaked so far this season. More leaks than Old Traffords roof coming out of this guy.

The club concluded an investigation a few months ago and the writing was on the wall, he was almost out the door before ETH even took his first training session.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
De Gea's not the answer but Henderson has shown emphatically he isn't either. There's absolutely no reason we couldn't pick up a better alternative for a mid-range, Chelsea got Mendy for something like 6 million and he's miles better than either De Gea or Henderson.
Mendy cost £25m I think.

Cloudface

If we're desperate for a silky, smooth passing keeper neither De Gea nor Henderson are it.

Praise for Dean's performance yesterday is in order. Poor pk shot by Rice or not, Henderson saved the pk. And made some other fine saves.
I agree that he doesn't seem the most capable on the ball. But he isn't scared of it the way Dave is which makes a fairly big difference.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Bring him back as DDG is passing through the same horrible bad phase he had before.
Henderson has no place at United after his leaks last season, and his attack on the club this season. It doesn’t mean I think DDG is the answer, it just means neither of them are.