Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

Abraxas

I really hope we do sign a new goalkeeper sooner rather than later but logistically, with Ten Hag having a year to see De Gea's major flaws up close and him being out of contract at the end of the season, it would be ridiculous to then extend his contract and as such by default Henderson would be ahead of a goalkeeper no longer at the club in the pecking order.
He will but for a start I believe ETH will know DeGea's strengths and weaknesses. He doesn't live in a cave, we're talking about a highly established goalkeeper that has been around forever. Whether he is willing to go with DeGea in the longer term I am not sure, I don't really have a strong opinion on that.

But I'd say Henderson's position is one very much of needing to impress. His current position is that he is considered our second best option as a keeper, so if he's second best to a keeper ETH doesn't rate that isn't good. If he's second best to a keeper he does rate that's still not good as we might see a new contract. Hence I do think he'll have to do something very impressive at Forest. He has to say that you can rely on me as first choice, he's not going to become United number 1 by default even DeGea leaves, he'll need a compelling case.

JB7

He will but for a start I believe ETH will know DeGea's strengths and weaknesses. He doesn't live in a cave, we're talking about a highly established goalkeeper that has been around forever. Whether he is willing to go with DeGea in the longer term I am not sure, I don't really have a strong opinion on that.

But I'd say Henderson's position is one very much of needing to impress. His current position is that he is considered our second best option as a keeper, so if he's second best to a keeper ETH doesn't rate that isn't good. If he's second best to a keeper he does rate that's still not good as we might see a new contract. Hence I do think he'll have to do something very impressive at Forest. He has to say that you can rely on me as first choice, he's not going to become United number 1 by default even DeGea leaves, he'll need a compelling case.
You've missed my point, I didn't say he'd become number 1 by default. I said he'd be ahead of a goalkeeper that was no longer here in the pecking order, because obviously anyone would be. I also said I hope we sign a goalkeeper, I'm disappointed we haven't looked at any proper goalkeepers this summer in truth but there are obviously too many other glaring issues to fix.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mate let it go, continue you to believe we paid Eriksen £100k if you want, you’re wrong but if it makes you happy crack on ;)
Looks like you don’t like to hear the fact that Forest can afford such a wages. :D

Lentwood

Henderson is the perfect GK for sides who will face plenty of shots and where the scrutiny is lower than at a club like United.

He'll always make superb saves, he'll always be a mega-positive, active GK but he always make those little half-mistakes the media like to blow out of all proportion to batter United players with.

The trouble is, those mistakes destroy your career at a club like United, whereas at Forest, they'll barely even be noticed because he won't be hounded by the press.

For comparison, I often think Henderson is very much like Ben Foster, but perhaps with more self-confidence at a younger age.

Lentwood

How in the hell are Forest able to cover those wages.
Well it looks like they aren't paying us a fee for the loan, so the entire deal is going to cost them £5.2m for the season.

Where could they get a better GK than Dean Henderson for less than that in transfer fee and wages for the season? Look at the alternative they looked at in Nick Pope. I think they were quoted £40m+ and his wages would be £60/70K per week I imagine. Even over 5 years, that works out at like over £10m per season and there's no resale value at his age when that contract is over.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
From being sold to Newscastle as their GK of the future to loan at Forest, haven't jumped on the bandwagon myself.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Why does everyone seem convinced Forest didn't pay a loan fee? I'd be very surprised if they didn't pay at least a small one.

Rolaholic

I understand the tough circumstances from last season and I don't knock his self belief but he definitely comes across as a bit of a dickhead with this interview...

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I understand the tough circumstances from last season and I don't knock his self belief but he definitely comes across as a bit of a dickhead with this interview...
Don’t blame him after spending 2 seasons on the bench after being on the verge of the England squad and spot. Pretty sure we could have sold him for 30-40m if we didn't believe he was up to it and let him get on

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can't blame him. That first quote is up there with the biggest reasons for the collapse last season. Endless false promises, players being kept on to make a bloated squad and then just not being used. If a manager tells you you will be #1 goalkeeper and get games, and then you don't get any game time... Well of course you will be unhappy at wasting a year of your life. Same with Lingard and Van de Beek and Bailly and Martial and Cavani and whoever else. Last year was a disaster from a squad management and squad building perspective.

Castia

Just like Lingard told he would be an important player and ended up on the bench. Should have some the pair of them and made around 50m 2 years ago.

mu4c_20le

De Gea's form didn't warrant dropping, and he got unlucky with covid.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yeah, as if he wasn’t one of the rats feeding the media

hobbers

Teaches us all two things we already knew:

1 - he's a twat
2 - no doubt a leaker

AlexUTD

Well Solskjaer fecked him over not Ten Hag so he leaves before he can see him. Not fighting for the no 1 place.

And he gets probably just as much money as Ederson and Alisson, he wouldnt make the same money in other teams so its not like he is living on scraps.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Comes off like a twat.

TheReligion

Abusive
Can't blame him. That first quote is up there with the biggest reasons for the collapse last season. Endless false promises, players being kept on to make a bloated squad and then just not being used. If a manager tells you you will be #1 goalkeeper and get games, and then you don't get any game time... Well of course you will be unhappy at wasting a year of your life. Same with Lingard and Van de Beek and Bailly and Martial and Cavani and whoever else. Last year was a disaster from a squad management and squad building perspective.
Agreed. as much as I love Ole he seems to be the type of guy who doesn’t like saying no to people.

Infestissumam

timing sucked for him, having a tough bout with Covid while De Gea regained his form and never looked back. Not surprised about the promise thing, Ole apparently made a ton of promises to players he couldn't keep (Van de Beek, Lingard, etc). Henderson does come off like a bit of a dickhead, but I don't blame him for wanting to play football after wasting all of last season on the bench.

JJ12

What are you on about? His name never came up in regards to leaks.
What are you on about? Yes it very well was.Interviews like this only cements it too.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's not wrong, but he must realize those comments are going to burn all his bridges with the club. He's not coming back here.

Didn't Chelsea reportedly want him for 30m at one point? Should've probably just sold him then, instead of letting him rot.

Chairman Steve

I think Luckhurst got exclusives with him and a lot of people believed that was one of the indicators that he was one of the leakers.

JJ12

It was rumoured he was a leaker. Big difference between that and being a 'known' leaker.
They are all rumours. When has anyone been confirmed as a leaker?

Fairly obvious him and Lingard were.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Agreed. as much as I love Ole he seems to be the type of guy who doesn’t like saying no to people.
I don't even think it was that, I think Ole just changed as time went on managing the club. At the start he was straight up and honest to players and their roles. That's good. Later on, kept promising players like Lingard they will be used, only to never use them! You can't do that, it always ends badly. It was obvious to everyone that the squad was bloated, Ole didn't want to be short on numbers but thought he could make it work, and then couldn't bring himself to ever actually rotate Bruno or Ronaldo. When it came down to it, he didn't trust the others enough, even if he probably wanted to trust them to come in and actually play and would have told them so. It ends up being a series of lies and it leads to a collapse in the dressing room.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

He's a Pickford regen, but not as good Pickford.

He's not good enough for us and I doubt he ever will be