Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

Rolaholic

He's conceded more goals (14) in his last 4 matches than Dave has all season...

mu4c_20le

Apologies about that but it still gets me. How could such shit manager end up given so much money for him to burn
Because the club backs the manager no matter who it is. And he was only a penalty kick away from a trophy and a better season than Mourinho, who finished 6th when he won the EL.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
De Gea saves two out of those three goals. I get that a modern keeper needs to be able to pass and sweep. But if you can't do basic goalkeeping what is it truly worth?
Thankfully Dean is making it crystal clear that he is not the answer for us. Hopefully we get a propper upgrade on De Gea after this season.
On that basis alone it’s already been our most successful loan deal of the season.

tomaldinho1

This comment in every single thread :lol:

Re Hendo: The positioning on the third goal was really poor, but who the hell saves that second goal?
This thread is so weird, honestly. I get he’s a dislikable person and it’s best he’s gone but there’s some really forced justifications for errors here.

1st one, no chance.
2nd one, I doubt any keeper saves that. Too fast and from behind a player. Maybe a world class GK but then no one is claiming he’s world class.
3rd one. Why he shouldn’t cover his near post on the third one? We see that kind of goal every week and it’s never a keeper error. Genuinely, think of the alternative here…a goalkeeper leaves their near post open in the hope the pass doesn’t go to the near post runner? This is basic, like really really basic, stuff.

mu4c_20le

2nd one, I doubt any keeper saves that. Too fast and from behind a player. Maybe a world class GK but then no one is claiming he’s world class.
Pretty sure De Gea saves this easily, as its his bread and butter. He actually came pretty close.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

So how many of those goals is he actually at fault for?

tomaldinho1

Pretty sure De Gea saves this easily, as its his bread and butter. He actually came pretty close.
De Gea of 2018 or before probably, not now - got nowhere near that Xhaka goal from last season which was similar distance. If the ball comes from behind a defender at pace there aren’t many in world who can react quick enough.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Bloody hell, why people always use that argument "is gk at fault or not". Being at fault is situation when gk fecks up something (Dave vs Brentford for example or Mendy vs Leeds).
Is that your standard to judge PL gks? Point here is that guy can't save shit

avgp_1

He's had a shocker against City and Bournemouth for sure and a couple of those against Everton and Newcastle don't look too good either

Looking at PSxG, he is still slightly better than average which maybe down to the penalty saves

Greck

Holy hell, I now see why positioning keeps coming up. Many of those might very well still have gone in but he doesn't narrow the angle like keepers are taught to. He doesn't give himself a chance to save even lesser placed shots. Even makes it worse sometimes. Is he laterally challenged or something?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Because the club backs the manager no matter who it is. And he was only a penalty kick away from a trophy and a better season than Mourinho, who finished 6th when he won the EL.
Ole's legacy as manager was zero trophies during his tenure, a mass exodus of players leaving on free, united's reputation being thrown i the bin and over 420m investment most thrown in the bin. ETH is being forced to rebuild a team while having to work with overpaid/shit players the previous amateur manager had brought in for silly money.

The club should have never trusted a manager who had only been a success at amateur football level and they should have stopped him from spending silly money on the likes of Maguire

mu4c_20le

Ole's legacy as manager was zero trophies during his tenure, a mass exodus of players leaving on free, united's reputation being thrown i the bin and over 420m investment most thrown in the bin. ETH is being forced to rebuild a team while having to work with overpaid/shit players the previous amateur manager had brought in for silly money.

The club should have never trusted a manager who had only been a success at amateur football level and they should have stopped him from spending silly money on the likes of Maguire
Every manager had to do that. Ole himself had to get rid of many dross like Alexis, Lukaku and Mhkitaryan. Ole long term was just another mistake after many mistakes, appointing Jose right after LVG being one of them.

devilish

Every manager had to do that. Ole himself had to get rid of many dross like Alexis, Lukaku and Mhkitaryan. Ole long term was just another mistake after many mistakes, appointing Jose right after LVG being one of them.
I don't think that we were ever in this state. On top of the massive 420m+ investment we made we had 5 players walking on free (Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Mata, Cavani). That's another 100m+ worth of talent, United lost without gaining nothing, no fee, no trophies, nothing. Ole turned United into a rogue club whose happy not winning anything, whose comfortable breaking promises to players and who isn't too bothered with standards slipping. I mean we had a manager who fecked off on a holiday to his home country during the middle of a crisis. How terrible is that? In some ways the writing was on the wall. How could someone who had no experience in managing a top club succeed were seasoned managers like LVG and Mou failed?

pascell

Holy hell, I now see why positioning keeps coming up. Many of those might very well still have gone in but he doesn't narrow the angle like keepers are taught to. He doesn't give himself a chance to save even lesser placed shots. Even makes it worse sometimes. Is he laterally challenged or something?
The worst was vs Liverpool at home last season, basically gave Salah an open net, that's the game that the penny dropped for me that this guy isn't United quality and will not help us to the next level.

RedDevil@84

There is nothing more weird than the support for a player who publically dishes out at the club while being contracted. He literally said he can't wait to do one over us to prove his awesomeness. So weird the love in for him.

RedDevil@84

Watched the highlights and wasn’t at fault for any of the goals, but it apparently proved why he’s no good? This place :houllier:
If you are bang average, you are not at fault for any goals, because no one expects you to save them.

cyberman

Watched the highlights and wasn’t at fault for any of the goals, but it apparently proved why he’s no good? This place :houllier:
No keeper would be at fault for any goal if they don’t have the anticipation to get into the correct position

Tap

We won 2 trophies that season though and did not need the penalty lottery to win them.

And Ole actually let Romero, a competent backup keeper satisfied with his role, go for a loud mouthed, egoistic incompetent one. Just one of his many mistakes.

Fabio Rochemback

3rd one. Why he shouldn’t cover his near post on the third one? We see that kind of goal every week and it’s never a keeper error. Genuinely, think of the alternative here…a goalkeeper leaves their near post open in the hope the pass doesn’t go to the near post runner? This is basic, like really really basic, stuff.
His starting position when the cross came in was fine. He didn't across his line nearly fast enough after that. He could easily have set himself for the shot a couple of yards to his left.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There's some posters who would see him concede 73 goals a game and still insist it's not his fault.

devilish

We won 2 trophies that season though and did not need the penalty lottery to win them.

And Ole actually let Romero, a competent backup keeper satisfied with his role, go for a loud mouthed, egoistic incompetent one. Just one of his many mistakes.
The way Romero was treated was disgusting really. He was barely ever given a sniff of first team football and it was said that he was sometimes forced to train on his own. But there again there was a lot of silly things happening during Ole's time.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why does it look like he can’t get any height on saves?

Foxbatt

The way Romero was treated was disgusting really. He was barely ever given a sniff of first team football and it was said that he was sometimes forced to train on his own. But there again there was a lot of silly things happening during Ole's time.
That was one weird situation. The man was willing to be the back up keeper so long as he got time playing in the EL or the Cups. Yet he was shunted out. He was a good back up keeper who always delivered when called upon.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I don't see how any of these are his fault?! For the first one he's let down by his defenders, the second is just unlucky and takes a deflection, the third it catches the wind and wouldn't be saved by any keeper, the fourth is because he was cursed by an old woman during a trip to Marrakech three years ago when he mistakingly tripped over his own feet and tumbled into her market stall, the fifth one is only a goal because the attacker has legs - if he didn't have legs then he wouldn't have scored - the sixth is due to Gaddafi somehow, still trying to figure it out completely. But the point is that Elvis is a cnut.

tomaldinho1

His starting position when the cross came in was fine. He didn't across his line nearly fast enough after that. He could easily have set himself for the shot a couple of yards to his left.
So that’s a more balanced view, not that he’s made 2 howlers, that’s probably what I’d say he could have done if you were to be critical and hold him to elite standards although it’s hardly something people would flag as a massive error. That’s where you might find a really elite keeper can shift fast enough across/might get lucky kicking a leg out.

RedMistyDevil

I think he would get a lot less "hate" on here if he didn't put a target on his own back with that interview. Why should us fans support a player who speaks ill of the club we support? Especially when we consider his "talent". He's not a future United #1, and I only want him to do well enough so that we can sell him for some money; it's hard enough as it is considering the contract Woodward gave him.

As for judging whether he is at fault for the goals conceded, I go with this metric: would we, as United fans, blame De Gea if the same goal is conceded? If so, then Henderson is at fault too. I don't understand the rhetoric that when De Gea saves, then it's "straight at him", but when Henderson concedes, it's "not his fault". Why should things be different for Henderson? Because he's a lesser keeper? If that's the case, then what United did to him wasn't "criminal".

mu4c_20le

Keeping the academy product who was worth minimum 30m, and a potential future England #1, seems like a pretty straight forward decision to me. Could we have treated him better? Maybe. But we always had a tendency to hoard players, maybe they are useful in training? I could see the club refusing to let him go on loan as that does not benefit us at all.

Abraxas

The strangest thing to me is those that imagine Dean Henderson has a massive fan club that is backing him and defending the goals conceded. That it's not their own myopic toxicity that creates the divide between those that are trying to look at his performances with some balance and those desperate to see him fail. Between those that are too bitter to do anything other than enjoy seeing him fail against those of us that would rather he did well for the benefit of the club. The divide is really only there because some people cannot let a few comments go and will now hold a grudge indefinitely.

Why is anyone really going to be that invested in Dean Henderson to massively back him and have Hendo goggles on? Theres no reason to be. He came in, played a few matches, wasn't impressive - and apart from that sat on his arse at United. Absolutely nothing to get massively behind.

It doesn't mean all the goals are big errors. Maybe a Donnarumma or someone does better for a couple of Fulham goals but they're not actually mistakes for most keepers. They're probably mistakes by the standards of keeper we should aspire to, but nobody is claiming Henderson is elite and neither is DDG.

Smores

The strangest thing to me is those that imagine Dean Henderson has a massive fan club that is backing him and defending the goals conceded. That it's not their own myopic toxicity that creates the divide between those that are trying to look at his performances with some balance and those desperate to see him fail. Between those that are too bitter to do anything other than enjoy seeing him fail against those of us that would rather he did well for the benefit of the club. The divide is really only there because some people cannot let a few comments go and will now hold a grudge indefinitely.

Why is anyone really going to be that invested in Dean Henderson to massively back him and have Hendo goggles on? Theres no reason to be. He came in, played a few matches, wasn't impressive - and apart from that sat on his arse at United. Absolutely nothing to get massively behind.

It doesn't mean all the goals are big errors. Maybe a Donnarumma or someone does better for a couple of Fulham goals but they're not actually mistakes for most keepers. They're probably mistakes by the standards of keeper we should aspire to, but nobody is claiming Henderson is elite and neither is DDG.
The gentleman doth protest too much :lol:

colombianmancunian

We won 3 trophies (EL, League Cup and Community Shield… which is a super cup so it counts), and finished second on the PL. Mourinho’s foret season was a fairly good one.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Well for me it wasn’t about Henderson being easy on the eye -

It was Henderson being better than De Gea during that season and our team reaping the benefits of an all rounded goalkeeper.

The stats showed it and the performances did that we were better with Henderson than De Gea.

Some people will see it and some people won’t.

Henderson has a tougher job at Nottingham than United IMO. But again, all I have to bring up is De Gea’s performances or none for Spain to judge if he is good for us too.