Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

1 year loan deal, hopefully he will have a loan spell like he had with Sheffield United.

stu_1992

Hopefully he can repeat his Sheffield United season. Not sure if he'll ever get a real go at the number 1 spot at United, but he's certainly not going to improve sitting on the bench. Good move for him and maybe he can even force his way back into the England squad. Perhaps a more realistic scenarios is we sell him for a decent profit following this.

Red00012

Exit numero 7 albeit a loan

I think we’ll hit double digits by September 1

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
5.2m of his salary in a season added it to our budget. Nice.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its a good move for both him and us.

Kag

He’s a really good goalkeeper. Worst case scenario is that we get a decent wedge for him next summer.

Varane around town

It's going to be interesting to see how this goes.

My hunch is that Henderson is a very good goalkeeper for a mid-table/lower mid-table Premier League team.

A team like Sheffield United. He can make lots of saves, shout a lot, become a fan favourite and when it makes mistakes it isn't that deep. As the team he's in will be conceding a goal or two a game anyway. I seriously doubt he's got it in him to become a Man United number 1.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
How in the hell are Forest able to cover those wages.
Paying him 5m, albeit for only one season is hardly going to break the bank for a PL club. Each position in the PL is reportedly worth 2.2m. If he helps them finish 2 or 3 places higher then his wages are covered.

lex talionis

Dean has a very bright future. A shame from his point of view that Dave isn’t going anywhere, but if not at OT Dean will be a standout keeper somewhere.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I still think he's a better all round keeper than DDG - unlike many here, I'd like him to have such a good season that he threatens DDG next year. He was outstanding at Sheff Utd

Yakuza_devils

I still think he's a better all round keeper than DDG - unlike many here, I'd like him to have such a good season that he threatens DDG next year. He was outstanding at Sheff Utd
DDG has been our POTY for many seasons. Last year he was very good too. He has consistently performed in one of the top team in the PL. Henderson has only 1 good season for Sheffield United.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
DDG has been our POTY for many seasons. Last year he was very good too. He has consistently performed in one of the top team in the PL. Henderson has only 1 good season for Sheffield United.
In the last four seasons De Gea has had three terrible seasons and a fairly good one. If you have to go back half a decade for him to be consistently good then there are huge question marks.

In those same four seasons Henderson has had two good seasons for Sheffield United (one in the Championship, one in the Premiership) and a fairly good few months for us in the only time he got a run. Obviously for most of it he wasn't dealing with the same level of expectation and media pressure as what De Gea was, but he did well with what he had.

Yakuza_devils

In the last four seasons De Gea has had three terrible seasons and a fairly good one. If you have to go back half a decade for him to be consistently good then there are huge question marks.

In those same four seasons Henderson has had two good seasons for Sheffield United (one in the Championship, one in the Premiership) and a fairly good few months for us in the only time he got a run. Obviously for most of it he wasn't dealing with the same level of expectation and media pressure as what De Gea was, but he did well with what he had.
Hmm... Three terrible season and yet good enough to keep Henderson on the bench. And I don't remember DDG had three terrible season at all.

Tap

Hope he has a good loan spell and stays there.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Hmm... Three terrible season and yet good enough to keep Henderson on the bench. And I don't remember DDG had three terrible season at all.
The only time they were at the club at the same time as each other during those three seasons, De Gea was the one who ended up on the bench for the final few months of the season. And that was with Ole who was loyal to a fault. It appeared Henderson would also start last season as our #1 but he got a bad case of Covid that he struggled to get over, which opened the door for De Gea to take the spot back and he proceeded to have his first fairly good season in ages. Even then he was really only good in the first half of the season, and was fairly average in the second half.

De Gea absolutely was terrible for three seasons, starting from the 2018 World Cup.

18/19 - He was 'only' average for most of the season, but then utterly collapsed in the final few months of the season and was the main reason we didn't overtake Arsenal and Spurs for the CL spot. Absolute worst form of his career.
19/20 - Not only was he poor in the league, but Ole bought him in to the team at the semi-final stage of Europa, FA and EFL Cups. We lost them all, with him making terrible mistakes in three of the five goals we conceded in the first two (can't blame him for the EFL loss though).
20/21 - Poor all season, to the extent he ultimately lost his place to Henderson.

Yakuza_devils

The only time they were at the club at the same time as each other during those three seasons, De Gea was the one who ended up on the bench for the final few months of the season. And that was with Ole who was loyal to a fault. It appeared Henderson would also start last season as our #1 but he got a bad case of Covid that he struggled to get over, which opened the door for De Gea to take the spot back and he proceeded to have his first fairly good season in ages. Even then he was really only good in the first half of the season, and was fairly average in the second half.

De Gea absolutely was terrible for three seasons, starting from the 2018 World Cup.

18/19 - He was 'only' average for most of the season, but then utterly collapsed in the final few months of the season and was the main reason we didn't overtake Arsenal and Spurs for the CL spot. Absolute worst form of his career.
19/20 - Not only was he poor in the league, but Ole bought him in to the team at the semi-final stage of Europa, FA and EFL Cups. We lost them all, with him making terrible mistakes in three of the five goals we conceded in the first two (can't blame him for the EFL loss though).
20/21 - Poor all season, to the extent he ultimately lost his place to Henderson.
You can have your opinions. The facts are during those "terrible three seasons" he either put Henderson on loans at other club or on the bench in Man Utd. Certainly there was never a time Henderson is considered number 1 in Man Utd. Last season he got all the time to convince Rangnick as many said that Henderson is more suitable for modern high line system. Again, Rangnick preferred DDG as undisputed number 1.

Now, ETH is also clearly prefer DDG.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hopefully he has a good season, increases his sale price, we cash in next season and replace De Gea with a top tier goalkeeper talent.

Henderson is good, but nothing he's shown in his career thus far suggests he's the standard of goalkeeper Manchester United would normally bring in to be their #1. He got his chance by virtue of already being at the club and De Gea being in poor form. And, for whatever reason, he didn't take that chance well enough to ultimately convince Ole/Rangnick not to revert to De Gea once De Gea's form picked up. Add the rumours that he wasn't always the most positive presence in the dressing room and here we are.

Key point is that he isn't some young prospect, he'll turn 26 during the next season. However good he is now is pretty much as good as he's going to be. If the club don't think that's enough right now, it shouldn't be enough later either.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Hopefully he has a good season, increases his sale price, we cash in next season and replace De Gea with a top tier goalkeeper talent.

Henderson is good, but nothing he's shown in his career thus far suggests he's the standard of goalkeeper Manchester United would normally bring in to be their #1. He got his chance by virtue of already being at the club and De Gea being in poor form. And, for whatever reason, he didn't take that chance well enough to ultimately convince Ole/Rangnick not to revert to De Gea once De Gea's form picked up. Add the rumours that he wasn't always the most positive presence in the dressing room and here we are.

Key point is that he isn't some young prospect, he'll turn 26 during the next season. However good he is now is pretty much as good as he's going to be. If the club don't think that's enough right now, it shouldn't be enough later either.
United only thought Schmeichel good enough to get when he was 28 y.o. (from Brondby) where VdS was coming here at 35 y.o. (from Fulham).

Age doesn't really matter much for Gk.

GazTheLegend

de Gea is out of contract next year if we don't exercise our extension, right?

Mcking

He's had pretty successful loans in the National League, League Two, League One, Championship and Premier League, keeping plenty of clean sheets and winning awards.

The last two seasons has been a shame in terms of his personal development as a goalkeeper, but I'm confident this one is going to be another good loan. Could see Forest being the surprise package of the season with him in goal.

Abraxas

His career so far has been a bit odd. Stop start and he will surely want to settle. I'm not sure I'd want to be getting loaned out all the time if I back myself as a top PL keeper. This feels like a very make or break loan. He'll have to be exceptional to force his way in, if he is simply decent I expect we'll see a buyer next summer.

Oranges038

Nonsense, most keepers don't really peak until they hit late their 20s to mid 30s.

He's needs the time on the pitch to develop and show how good he really is. He did with with Sheffield Utd, he'll certainly have to be on top of his game with Forrest this season too.

Personally I hope he has a great spell and comes back next season and is given a proper shot at being no.1. He did good when he was put in ahead of DDG, good enough that he would have been no.1 over DDG at the start of last season if he weren't out with covid.

Red Royal

Any clean sheets vs Liverpool, Spurs , Chelsea and/or Arsenal will all help our cause. Come on Deano!

JB7

His career so far has been a bit odd. Stop start and he will surely want to settle. I'm not sure I'd want to be getting loaned out all the time if I back myself as a top PL keeper. This feels like a very make or break loan. He'll have to be exceptional to force his way in, if he is simply decent I expect we'll see a buyer next summer.
Why would he need to be exceptional to force his way in? He’s contracted for 22/23, De Gea isn’t.

Abraxas

Why would he need to be exceptional to force his way in? He’s contracted for 22/23, De Gea isn’t.
Because if the manager believed he was a better option than DeGea he simply wouldn't be going on loan and therefore whether DeGea has a contract or not it doesn't mean he's going to alight on Henderson. That suggests to me that he will have to impress to ward of the possibility that we sign another first choice goalkeeper.

JB7

Because if the manager believed he was a better option than DeGea he simply wouldn't be going on loan and therefore whether DeGea has a contract or not it doesn't mean he's going to alight on Henderson. That suggests to me that he will have to impress to ward of the possibility that we sign another first choice goalkeeper.
I really hope we do sign a new goalkeeper sooner rather than later but logistically, with Ten Hag having a year to see De Gea's major flaws up close and him being out of contract at the end of the season, it would be ridiculous to then extend his contract and as such by default Henderson would be ahead of a goalkeeper no longer at the club in the pecking order.