Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

Pickle85

Firstly, he’s nowhere near as much of a better shot stopper as you’d think. Looking at the PSxG of Henderson’s season at Sheffield United & De Gea’s last season where he was “back to his best”, the difference was only 1.5 - with both players performing at top 10 in Europe levels. In the season both played for United’s first team, Henderson’s was actually higher. The issue with De Gea’s shot stopping is while he makes a number of incredible saves, he actually lets a lot of shots he should be stopping in. And I’m not making Henderson better in my mind at all, the performances & results with him speak for themselves in the regard of which player is better for our team, as I’ve said throughout the issue is more how poor for the team De Gea is and Henderson while being relatively average is clearly a better fit for the defenders, mainly due to being more than twice as likely to deal with crosses & four times as likely to deal with balls in behind.

In terms of coaches changing. Ole said he’d be number 1 then he got ill, by the time he was fit again De Gea was perceived to be in good form. Carrick was never changing the goalkeeper in his couple of games in charge. Rangnick frankly I have no idea what was going through his mind to be honest, he wanted to play a high line but was comfortable with his goalkeeper leaving his line less than any other goalkeeper in the league - can’t imagine why nobody else had wanted him as a coach for over a decade.
I think the problem is you're using stats instead of actually watching the players to determine which of them is the better goalkeeper. Again, there's a reason that Henderson has been overlooked by all the coaches that have managed him at United. There's also a reason that nobody bar relegation fodder clubs have taken him on. It's because he's bang average at best. I don't think DDG is the answer for us but it's plain to see that he's the better goalkeeper.

Longshanks

I think the problem is you're using stats instead of actually watching the players to determine which of them is the better goalkeeper. Again, there's a reason that Henderson has been overlooked by all the coaches that have managed him at United. There's also a reason that nobody bar relegation fodder clubs have taken him on. It's because he's bang average at best. I don't think DDG is the answer for us but it's plain to see that he's the better goalkeeper.
Other than the worst coach of our modern era (rangnick) which coaches have overlooked him? He usurped de gea in 20/21 and was going to be number 1 for the start of 21/22 until he got covid and struggled to recover from it. De gea took his opportunity with a brief period of incredible shot stopping form, but it is remarkable that a defence that was looking like a well drilled solid unit with Henderson in nets turned to absolute shit with De gea in nets.

That didn't just happen this season either, just look at the utter chaos of the Roma away game going into that game we were in very good form playing some of the best football seen post SAF with a defence that actually looked solid, confident and organised. Then suddenly put de gea in nets and bam defence goes to shit.

Same thing happened with Spain aswell, Puyol and pique were rumoured to be very uncomfortable playing infront of De Gea.

It amazes me how people underestimate the importance of having a proactive GK, and its not a new modern thing either. De gea is one of the most reactive GK's iv ever seen at the top level and it is really not a good thing.

Pickle85

Other than the worst coach of our modern era (rangnick) which coaches have overlooked him? He usurped de gea in 20/21 and was going to be number 1 for the start of 21/22 until he got covid and struggled to recover from it. De gea took his opportunity with a brief period of incredible shot stopping form, but it is remarkable that a defence that was looking like a well drilled solid unit with Henderson in nets turned to absolute shit with De gea in nets.

That didn't just happen this season either, just look at the utter chaos of the Roma away game going into that game we were in very good form playing some of the best football seen post SAF with a defence that actually looked solid, confident and organised. Then suddenly put de gea in nets and bam defence goes to shit.

Same thing happened with Spain aswell, Puyol and pique were rumoured to be very uncomfortable playing infront of De Gea.

It amazes me how people underestimate the importance of having a proactive GK, and its not a new modern thing either. De gea is one of the most reactive GK's iv ever seen at the top level and it is really not a good thing.
Every other coach that he's been available under for united has overlooked him. He had one brief window where he was (debatably) united's number one, but the moment DDG got shocked out of complacency he reclaimed his spot. I don't remember us looking any better with Henderson at the back than DDG, it's just that people fixate on DDG's lack of proactivity (if that's a word?!) while minimizing the shot stopping upside he brings. Again, I'm not minimizing the importance of having a confident, proactive keeper in today's game and that's why I agree DDG is no longer the answer. It's just that Henderson isn't either. He's not great with his feet, an average shot stopper and has a mistake in him. He's mediocre all round without excelling in any area which, again, is why he finds himself at clubs like Forest and Sheff united despite his team drumming up rumors about Chelsea and the like back in the day.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
This is a tough one, I want him to seriously fail because of his attitude towards a club that’s made him a millionaire for doing not a lot, but then we’d lose out on any sort of decent fee.

Poor from our negotiating team to not get a permanent or at minimum a loan with obligation to buy from Forest. They’re splashing the cash and are having bids for £35million rejected for mediocre players.

Last edited:

Oranges038

It's fairly obvious.

GK A - is a one trick pony keeper, who excels at making reflex saves, but isn't very good at sweeping, claiming high balls or passing the ball out from the back and is poor at organising his defence. You rarely keep a clean sheet and concede on average over a goal a game, you have a win rate of 50%.

GK B is a keeper with a more rounded skill set. He might not make the camera saves, but he does everything else better than the other guy. He's better at high balls, sweeping, passing and organizing his defence. He keeps clean sheets in every other game, you concede on average under a goal a game and your win rate goes up to almost 70%.

Which one do you think is the better keeper?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
i heard the straw that broke the camel’s back was before our first cl fixture of the year. ole called hendo to his office. he was expecting that this would be ole telling him that this was his chance to be number one and stake a claim to the gloves with a commanding performance against some of europe’s best. instead when he got to his office he found de gea curled up on ole’s lap like a cat, purring as ole scratched his goatee and told hendo that david would be playing as number one for the foreseeable.

Pickle85

It's fairly obvious.

GK A - is a one trick pony keeper, who excels at making reflex saves, but isn't very good at sweeping, claiming high balls or passing the ball out from the back and is poor at organising his defence. You rarely keep a clean sheet and concede on average over a goal a game, you have a win rate of 50%.

GK B is a keeper with a more rounded skill set. He might not make the camera saves, but he does everything else better than the other guy. He's better at high balls, sweeping, passing and organizing his defence. He keeps clean sheets in every other game, you concede on average under a goal a game and your win rate goes up to almost 70%.

Which one do you think is the better keeper?
I think the keeper that coach after coach that worked with both day in and day out chooses is probably the right one, as opposed to the keeper that some random off the caf prefers.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

TIL a full season = a brief period.

JB7

I use the stats because it’s the thing most people look at for players in other positions. If I sat here and said “we were a better team with Henderson in goal” or “we defended better & higher with him in goal” you would simply say that you disagreed with my opinion, whereas the numbers are inarguable.

I don’t need stats to see it myself as it’s so obvious to me. I stand 30 yards behind De Gea every week, I see how uncomfortable he is whenever he has no option but to leave his line, I see him shying away from back passes when he’s the only out-ball and making the defenders look stupid, I see him not collecting simple balls that come into the top corners of the penalty area (balls that 95% of PL keepers just come and pick up in their sleep). None of these things are provable by statistics so I use the measurements that are, but these are 3 further areas Henderson was a better fit for the defence. It’s not as if the stats are debatable, every single one was in Henderson’s favour. You can even trace us falling apart defensively to De Gea being reintroduced to the team!

You keep saying the keeper that coach after coach picked etc. The manager who worked with both for any length of time picked Henderson as his number 1. Him getting ill wasn’t something anyone could legislate for & he didn’t train for weeks, not long after he fit that manager was sacked and no temporary manager is changing the guy who’d been the clubs number one for over a decade rightly or wrongly.

Pickle85

I use the stats because it’s the thing most people look at for players in other positions. If I sat here and said “we were a better team with Henderson in goal” or “we defended better & higher with him in goal” you would simply say that you disagreed with my opinion, whereas the numbers are inarguable.

I don’t need stats to see it myself as it’s so obvious to me. I stand 30 yards behind De Gea every week, I see how uncomfortable he is whenever he has no option but to leave his line, I see him shying away from back passes when he’s the only out-ball and making the defenders look stupid, I see him not collecting simple balls that come into the top corners of the penalty area (balls that 95% of PL keepers just come and pick up in their sleep). None of these things are provable by statistics so I use the measurements that are, but these are 3 further areas Henderson was a better fit for the defence. It’s not as if the stats are debatable, every single one was in Henderson’s favour. You can even trace us falling apart defensively to De Gea being reintroduced to the team!

You keep saying the keeper that coach after coach picked etc. The manager who worked with both for any length of time picked Henderson as his number 1. Him getting ill wasn’t something anyone could legislate for & he didn’t train for weeks, not long after he fit that manager was sacked and no temporary manager is changing the guy who’d been the clubs number one for over a decade rightly or wrongly.
The sample size for Henderson is much smaller and coincided with a time we were better organised and looked better as a side. You can argue he was the reason for that but I don't buy it - again, there's a reason no top club wants him. Similarly there's a reason that DDG was widely believed to be a top 3 keeper in the world for a period. Henderson’s upside with his feet isn't enough to give him the edge over DDG. He's not even that good with his feet. He's a confident boy and definitely more assertive in the box but he's not half the shot stopper DDG is. You say the manager that worked with both for any period of time chose Henderson but that's just not true. He went with Henderson until DDG was spurred on to greater heights, at which point he went with the better keeper again: DDG. The caf obsession with average players that we've benched consistently is so odd. DDG is a long way from perfect but just because Henderson edges him in areas in which he's deficient doesn't make him a better choice overall and that's why DDG is at United and Henderson is at forest.

JB7

The sample size for Henderson is much smaller and coincided with a time we were better organised and looked better as a side. You can argue he was the reason for that but I don't buy it - again, there's a reason no top club wants him. Similarly there's a reason that DDG was widely believed to be a top 3 keeper in the world for a period. Henderson’s upside with his feet isn't enough to give him the edge over DDG. He's not even that good with his feet. He's a confident boy and definitely more assertive in the box but he's not half the shot stopper DDG is. You say the manager that worked with both for any period of time chose Henderson but that's just not true. He went with Henderson until DDG was spurred on to greater heights, at which point he went with the better keeper again: DDG. The caf obsession with average players that we've benched consistently is so odd. DDG is a long way from perfect but just because Henderson edges him in areas in which he's deficient doesn't make him a better choice overall and that's why DDG is at United and Henderson is at forest.
Right so so the defence being more organised and comfortable than it had been in the previous 3 years coincided with the change in goalkeeper, and immediately fell apart again when they changed the goalkeepers back, but it had nothing to do with the actual goalkeeper. Ok. What a hell of a coincidence.

You keep coming to this “no top clubs want him” and that’s he’s an “average player”. Firstly, after he’d been at Sheff United for 2 years I believe both Chelsea & Spurs wanted him? Those clubs wouldn’t be in for him this summer because he hasn’t played for 12 months & they don’t need goalkeepers. And I’ve never said he isn’t an “average player” either. In fact I’ve said on a number of occasions that he is relatively average across the board which is exactly what makes him a better option than De Gea who excels in one area but is horrific at everything else. I’ve even shown the PSxG stats that show De Gea isn’t even that far ahead in terms of shot stopping but you continue to see what you want to see and applaud De Gea making saves where most other goalkeepers would have cut the opportunity out 10 seconds earlier.

I’ve also never said Henderson is better with his feet either. He’s more comfortable at making himself available for the ball certainly which was a big help to the defenders - particularly Maguire & AWB & sees players in space quicker but I wouldn’t say he’s much better in terms of his execution.

So you from your posts; you agree that Henderson is better than De Gea at crosses, sweeping etc so cutting out opportunities, you agree that the defence was more comfortable in front of him (though you think that was a coincidence), you think Henderson is better with his feet. In favour of De Gea you say that he is a much better shot stopping (Henderson at Sheff Utd 19/20 +5.2 PSxG vs De Gea’s “greater heights” last season +6.7 PSxG) so the stats would agree better but they don’t agree that Henderson is “not half the shot stopper”, in the season they split at United 20/21, Henderson’s PSxG was actually higher than De Gea’s. So in the one metric we all agree De Gea is better in, the difference isn’t even that great.

I’m not one to obsess over average players we bench like some on here regarding Bailly, VDB etc. I don’t necessarily think Henderson will be a United number one long term but he is definitely a better fit for the defence than De Gea in the short to mid term (I’m not sure I’ll ever get over us just watching Maignan go to Milan last summer for like €10m to be honest). My comments on the better goalkeeping option for the defence says much more about De Gea than it does Henderson.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Henderson rightly gained the #1 spot. At that point in his career he hadn't done anything to suggest he should be United's #1, but he benefitted from being attached to the club during a bad period of form from our incumbent #1 and got to compete for it on that basis.

However once De Gea took the opportunity presented by Henderson's illness and upped his form, Henderson didn't get a look in, with De Gea being favoured by both managers.

Even Henderson himself dismissed the notion that Covid was to blame for him not geting back in the side as an excuse on the club's part. The reality of why De Gea was favoured can be more accurately seen in Rangnick's post-game remarks about De Gea repeatedly saving the team, and the fact that De Gea and Henderson's teammates viewed De Gea as the team's POTS.

Ultimately Henderson was in a competition for the #1 spot for two seasons that ended with the other guy being regarded as the better option by the managers and players around them. If he was as good as he thinks he is, that wouldn't have been the conclusion. So tough shit.

It doesn't mean De Gea is any less flawed or less in need of replacing. It just means he saw off Henderson's challenge fairly and squarely, earning back the #1 spot from a relatively average goalkeeper.

So we should try to replace him with someone less average next time, instead of handing a massive contract to whoever we already happen to have knocking around the club and hoping they're good enough. We need the goalkeeper Henderson thinks he is, not the goalkeeper Henderson actually is.

Oranges038

I think the keeper that coach after coach that worked with both day in and day out chooses is probably the right one, as opposed to the keeper that some random off the caf prefers.
The only coach who had the chance to work with both for any serious length of time chose Henderson. And only rolled back to DDG because he was out sick.

Pickle85

The only coach who had the chance to work with both for any serious length of time chose Henderson. And only rolled back to DDG because he was out sick.
@sullydnl post above puts it all more eloquently than I could. Henderson won the shirt, then lost it again when DDG upped his game, it's that simple.

Right so so the defence being more organised and comfortable than it had been in the previous 3 years coincided with the change in goalkeeper, and immediately fell apart again when they changed the goalkeepers back, but it had nothing to do with the actual goalkeeper. Ok. What a hell of a coincidence.

You keep coming to this “no top clubs want him” and that’s he’s an “average player”. Firstly, after he’d been at Sheff United for 2 years I believe both Chelsea & Spurs wanted him? Those clubs wouldn’t be in for him this summer because he hasn’t played for 12 months & they don’t need goalkeepers. And I’ve never said he isn’t an “average player” either. In fact I’ve said on a number of occasions that he is relatively average across the board which is exactly what makes him a better option than De Gea who excels in one area but is horrific at everything else. I’ve even shown the PSxG stats that show De Gea isn’t even that far ahead in terms of shot stopping but you continue to see what you want to see and applaud De Gea making saves where most other goalkeepers would have cut the opportunity out 10 seconds earlier.

I’ve also never said Henderson is better with his feet either. He’s more comfortable at making himself available for the ball certainly which was a big help to the defenders - particularly Maguire & AWB & sees players in space quicker but I wouldn’t say he’s much better in terms of his execution.

So you from your posts; you agree that Henderson is better than De Gea at crosses, sweeping etc so cutting out opportunities, you agree that the defence was more comfortable in front of him (though you think that was a coincidence), you think Henderson is better with his feet. In favour of De Gea you say that he is a much better shot stopping (Henderson at Sheff Utd 19/20 +5.2 PSxG vs De Gea’s “greater heights” last season +6.7 PSxG) so the stats would agree better but they don’t agree that Henderson is “not half the shot stopper”, in the season they split at United 20/21, Henderson’s PSxG was actually higher than De Gea’s. So in the one metric we all agree De Gea is better in, the difference isn’t even that great.

I’m not one to obsess over average players we bench like some on here regarding Bailly, VDB etc. I don’t necessarily think Henderson will be a United number one long term but he is definitely a better fit for the defence than De Gea in the short to mid term (I’m not sure I’ll ever get over us just watching Maignan go to Milan last summer for like €10m to be honest). My comments on the better goalkeeping option for the defence says much more about De Gea than it does Henderson.
But, strangely, the move never materialized. Whether because he wanted to stay and claim the #1 jersey here or because those offers never really existed. Again, the only solid, verifiable interest in him has been from relegation fodder sides.

Using one season in which DDG was by his own standards poor as a point of comparison for shot stopping between the two is disingenuous at best.

Again, everyone that's coached the pair and have worked closely with them have ended up going with DDG eventually. He's undoubtedly frustrating in areas and we should look elsewhere but, when he's playing like he did last season, there's no world in which Henderson should bench him.

JB7

@sullydnl post above puts it all more eloquently than I could. Henderson won the shirt, then lost it again when DDG upped his game, it's that simple.

But, strangely, the move never materialized. Whether because he wanted to stay and claim the #1 jersey here or because those offers never really existed. Again, the only solid, verifiable interest in him has been from relegation fodder sides.

Using one season in which DDG was by his own standards poor as a point of comparison for shot stopping between the two is disingenuous at best.

Again, everyone that's coached the pair and have worked closely with them have ended up going with DDG eventually. He's undoubtedly frustrating in areas and we should look elsewhere but, when he's playing like he did last season, there's no world in which Henderson should bench him.
I didn’t use a season De Gea was poor, I thought you said he was excellent last season? I compared De Gea last season (21/22) where he was supposedly outstanding, with Henderson’s full season at Sheffield United (19/20) as it’s a fair comparison given both goalkeepers played nearly all the games. I did also say Henderson faired better of the two in pure shot stopping during the year they played together (20/21) because it’s relevant but the stats used of +6.7 was De Gea supposedly back to his best 21/22 & the +5.2 was Henderson at Sheffield United 19/20.

By the way last season De Gea started incredibly well in terms of shot stopping, no arguments here. However he was very very poor for various spells too but people looked the other way because it was easier to blame Maguire for everything. Heck there was a spell around October November time where he was at fault for about 8 or 9 goals. And his PSxG after Christmas was definitely in the minus territory too because he’d built it up to around +10 at one stage so let’s not pretend he had a great season rather than he had good patches & poor patches (like most players last year I hasten to add).

Chairman Steve

Henderson, Lingard and Pogba walk into a bar…
Bartender says “You can’t come in here as there’s a leak”
Henderson says “It’s not me”
Lingard says “Not me”
Pogba says “Not me either”
Bartender says “No you idiots theres a water leak in the toilets. The place is closed now leave”

Pickle85

I didn’t use a season De Gea was poor, I thought you said he was excellent last season? I compared De Gea last season (21/22) where he was supposedly outstanding, with Henderson’s full season at Sheffield United (19/20) as it’s a fair comparison given both goalkeepers played nearly all the games. I did also say Henderson faired better of the two in pure shot stopping during the year they played together (20/21) because it’s relevant but the stats used of +6.7 was De Gea supposedly back to his best 21/22 & the +5.2 was Henderson at Sheffield United 19/20.

By the way last season De Gea started incredibly well in terms of shot stopping, no arguments here. However he was very very poor for various spells too but people looked the other way because it was easier to blame Maguire for everything. Heck there was a spell around October November time where he was at fault for about 8 or 9 goals. And his PSxG after Christmas was definitely in the minus territory too because he’d built it up to around +10 at one stage so let’s not pretend he had a great season rather than he had good patches & poor patches (like most players last year I hasten to add).
You compared the season they split at United, no? Comparing DDG vs Henderson at Sheff Utd is, again, misleading as you'd expect him to be much busier at Sheff Utd, among other things. It's misleading and not a like for like comparison.

DDG made a few errors last season (he often has one in him) but I absolutely disagree he was 'very very poor for various spells'. The reference to Maguire being a scapegoat for ddg's failings makes me wonder if you just like Henderson because he's British.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The issue is that it isn't just one season where DDG was poor. He's been poor for three and a half of the last four seasons. At the moment the first half of last season looks like it's the outlier and the poor form is the new normal from De Gea. Even in preseason he's been poor for a couple of goals that he's conceded so the signs aren't good that he's going to turn it around again.

Sellddg

De Gea should have been sold years ago but my guess is that no-one was willing to pay a fee for him, combined with his huge salary, the same that happend with Pogba and Martial. His last four seasons have been a disaster and probably no-one can argue with that.
We have been used to so little quality on the pitch since Sir Alex Ferguson left that the mediocre players are being baptized world beaters, but again none of the current Man Utd players would be a starter for a top top team except Bruno and Sancho maybe.

To the point again, some has to ask himself how is it even possible that none of the defenders signed post SAF, has achieved success at the club. Each and every one of them have turned into a 'flop' and by watching the team play in the last four seasons, you understand where the problem lies.
My guess is we will get knocked out of the top4 and every other trophy with De Gea at the post this season.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Henderson is seeing lots of action at Newcastle today !!
He's looking good so far but Forest will concede lots of goals this season even with him. The Forest defence looks poor !!

Dante

Average bang
De Gea should have been sold years ago but my guess is that no-one was willing to pay a fee for him, combined with his huge salary, the same that happend with Pogba and Martial. His last four seasons have been a disaster and probably no-one can argue with that.
We have been used to so little quality on the pitch since Sir Alex Ferguson left that the mediocre players are being baptized world beaters, but again none of the current Man Utd players would be a starter for a top top team except Bruno and Sancho maybe.

To the point again, some has to ask himself how is it even possible that none of the defenders signed post SAF, has achieved success at the club. Each and every one of them have turned into a 'flop' and by watching the team play in the last four seasons, you understand where the problem lies.
My guess is we will get knocked out of the top4 and every other trophy with De Gea at the post this season.
:lol:

That's quite some username/first post combination.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Poundland Pickford beaten at his near post from outside the box. Shocking positioning and his trademark delayed reaction dive.

NewYorkRed

Absolutely should have saved that. But hey, he “makes his defenders by giving them confidence”

Comparing him to DDG is an insult

AaronRedDevil

Are ye going to be like this all season? "Hur hur Hendy conceded again" playing for fecking Forrest. No matter how good he is, he's going to concede a lot with this team. Defence looks shocking.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Are ye going to be like this all season? "Hur hur Hendy conceded again" playing for fecking Forrest. No matter how good he is, he's going to concede a lot with this team. Defence looks shocking.
Yeah. I thought that he was a bit overrated by some but the nastiness is getting out of hand. :lol:

mu4c_20le

If he makes great saves and keeps clean sheets, people will just be dissing DeGea instead.

V.O.

Yeah. I thought that he was a bit overrated by some but the nastiness is getting out of hand. :lol:
When he slags off the club on his way out on loan, "don't rate him" turns into "feck him" very quickly.

Him talking about himself like he's the second coming of Lev Yashin doesn't help in that regard, either.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's tiring. It's been like that ever since he came back here even before his rant. Every single action from him is analysed and nitpicked

hobbers

Poundland Pickford beaten at his near post from outside the box. Shocking positioning and his trademark delayed reaction dive.
Makes it look unsaveable because of his shit positioning and how small he is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Gonna be very tiresome if both the De Gea and Henderson fanboys keep harping on about every flaw the other keeper demonstrates. Especially given they both have a lot of flaws.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
If he makes great saves and keeps clean sheets, people will just be dissing DeGea instead.
I think people will have enough United games to judge DdG, let this thread be about Henderson.

edcunited1878

He's put his neck on the line with his comments and he's directly in the firing line. He didn't do himself any favors with that goal, regardless how well it was struck from that angle.

Lack of anticipation, plus poor positioning and feet led to him not even making an attempt.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When he slags off the club on his way out on loan, "don't rate him" turns into "feck him" very quickly.

Him talking about himself like he's the second coming of Lev Yashin doesn't help in that regard, either.
He isn't worth all the agitation. If someone acts in a way you don't like, you rarely try to out do that person, you just move on.

V.O.

Gonna be very tiresome if both the De Gea and Henderson fanboys keep harping on about every flaw the other keeper demonstrates. Especially given they both have a lot of flaws.
People are allowed to think neither are good enough. It's not the Messi vs Ronaldo thread. You don't have to be a "De Gea fanboy" to think Henderson is bobbins.