Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

Oranges038

He's proven nothing. He wasn't better than De Gea when he was at the club and he's hardly been that amazing for Notts Forest.

Hyping up Henderson is the same as hyping Maguire. It's based on wishful thinking, not observed performances.
In his short period replacing DDG, he most certainly proved having a pretty average all round PL keeper is much better than having a guy who's become pretty average at the one thing he was good at.

He isn't good enough for United but then neither is De Gea. It's like two bald men fighting over a comb. None of them should be here past the summer.
I agree. Ultimately neither is good enough.

hobbers

No chance of a good payday for him in the summer then, probably stuck with him until we can bodge together another loan deal.

oh well, this is what happens when you hand out 5 year 100k/week contracts to mediocre backup goalkeepers

CM

We need shot of him in the summer. Hopefully Forest stay up and one of them or Sheffield United will take him off us for a decent fee.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Personally I don't get out fan animosity towards him. The club treated him shockingly last season and he had every right to be upset.
Agreed. Tell me an employee who said that he never bad-mouthing his ex-manager and the company when they feel treated unfairly, and I'll give you a liar.

Anustart89

That’s a United player injured for a long time. Why are you so dismissive?
Because he doesn’t want to be at the club, arrogantly went about stating his position of not wanting to be at the club, is considered one of the leakers from the dressing room under Ole and seems like a bit of a bellend.

The only thing I’m mourning is the transfer fee we’re not going to get from him.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Treated shockingly by losing his place to a better player while he did nothing but moan about it? Ok
Nonsense. First off he lost his chance Ito replace de gea in the summer thanks to a long bout of corvid. By the time he returned to fitness De gea was in decent form again and rightly first choice. However, post Ole's sacking and during Ragnick's reign the form of the entire side and de tea plummeted. Henderson was treated shockingly in January onwards. We had 4 first team keepers on the books. He rightly wanted to go on loan for much needed game time. The hierarchy and coaching staff vetoed it because "they needed him". Yet De Gea played literally every game for the rest of the season. Even whilst obviously being in the worst form of his United career so much for your " losing a place to a better player" theory.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Nonsense. First off he lost his chance Ito replace de gea in the summer thanks to a long bout of corvid. By the time he returned to fitness De gea was in decent form again and rightly first choice. However, post Ole's sacking and during Rangnick's reign the form of the entire side and de tea plummeted. Henderson was treated shockingly in January onwards. We had 4 first team keepers on the books. He rightly wanted to go on loan for much needed game time. The hierarchy and coaching staff vetoed it because "they needed him". Yet De Gea played literally every game for the rest of the season. Even whilst obviously being in the worst form of his United career so much for your " losing a place to a better player" theory.
But if De Gea's form was so bad and the manager sees everyone in training how did Henderson not manage to displace him, even a little?

giggs-beckham

Clueless
But if De Gea's form was so bad and the manager sees everyone in training how did Henderson not manage to displace him, even a little?
DDG seems like a protected deified figure around here and at the club. Probably because he's been here a long time and since SAF it gives people a deluded connection to better times.

For the same reason a truly woeful Rashford kept playing again and again inspite of how bad he was. Getting so used to being picked inspite of his dreadfullness he dared to voice unhappiness at playing time when his awfullness couldn't be carried any longer and the coach in charge finally dropped him. He wasn't even the only one. Maguire was another who kept playing regardless....last season made very little sense in many ways.

Dr. Dwayne

For the same reason a truly woeful Rashford kept playing again and again inspite of how bad he was. Getting so used to being picked inspite of his dreadfullness he dared to voice unhappiness at playing time when his awfullness couldn't be carried any longer and the coach in charge finally dropped him. He wasn't even the only one. Maguire was another who kept playing regardless....last season made very little sense in many ways.
Wasn't Rangnick always full of praise for De Gea? Although your premise certainly applies to arashford and Maguire it doesn't make any sense in De Gea's case.

The truth is Henderson never showed that he was better than De Gea and therefore wasn't selected ahead of him.

The truth is Henderson never showed that he was better than De Gea and therefore wasn't selected ahead of him.
Rather the truth is he never got the chance. He got long corvid and fairly lost his chance and place. Then was unfairly forced to waste 6 months on the bench after being lied to he was needed rather than head out on loan. I find it strange fans on here are holding it against him that he is bitter about it and even worse pretending he lost a straight battle with an in form de gea like he was given any chance to actually fight him for the jersey last season.

Devil You Know

When DDG was at his worst last season, Henderson should have been given a chance. I think that's where his bitterness comes from during the Rangnick era. Because Henderson during his Sheffield United season was most definitely better than De Gea of 2021-22, and maybe he could have been again if given the opportunity.

This isn't to say that Henderson is a superior 'keeper in absolute terms. But just like when Shaw is off-form, Malacia should get the first XI spot to prove himself.

I think people get too wrapped up in the idea of their favourite players. I get it. De Gea has been brilliant at times since 2011 and every United fan loves him for those good times. But football is a squad game, and players will get upset when it looks like the manager is not selecting/dropping individuals based on merit.

Dr. Dwayne

Rather the truth is he never got the chance. He got long corvid and fairly lost his chance and place. Then was unfairly forced to waste 6 months on the bench after being lied to he was needed rather than head out on loan. I find it strange fans on here are holding it against him that he is bitter about it and even worse pretending he lost a straight battle with an in form de gea like he was given any chance to actually fight him for the jersey last season.
Agree that we should have let him go on loan in January.

While he was unlucky with covid, the fan's animosity is due to the interviews he's given about it where he seems arrogant and rude toward the club. Not unusual that the fans side with the club versus a player when the player speaks in such a way.

While he was unlucky with covid, the fan's animosity is due to the interviews he's given about it where he seems arrogant and rude toward the club. Not unusual that the fans side with the club versus a player when the player speaks in such a way.
I feel that with the mitigating circumstance, The fan animosity is uncalled for. If many of us were in his shoes we'd probably have reacted the same and his perceived arrogance is just the self belief he has always portayed in his ability. I suspect he wanted to burn his bridges and force us to sell after a good loan. Sadly for him injury has made that some what harder

JB7

I do agree with you about fans siding with the club but that interview that everyone labelled as arrogant was in actual fact, anything but.

This was what he said; "I didn't really want the manager to come in and be able to see me in training because I knew he'd probably want to keep me. So I tried to do it all before I left for the season, I told all the hierarchy I need to go and play football. I don't want to be here playing second fiddle. And it panned out so I was almost gone before the manager came in the door and I haven't spoken to him since."

And everyone obviously jumped on the "he'd probably want to keep me" comments as they were perceived to be arrogant, even though in fairness the comments were correct given we went onto make offers for Sommer and Trapp before signing an established Premier League goalkeeper in Dubravka on loan as Ten Hag wasn't comfortable with Heaton as the main back up goalkeeper. However, the real story in what he said was "I don't want to be here playing second fiddle". He didn't back himself to take De Gea's place under a completely new manager with very different ideas to those who had gone before, particularly a manager far more likely to appreciate Henderson's ability to enable the team to play a higher line, a manager known to be more interested in the background data that would have known about the various improvements in the team both defensively and offensively during Henderson's run in the team in 20/21. It was a sign of weakness rather than arrogance.

The reality is he will move on, and rightly so, but the supporter unhappiness towards him for his comments last summer was completely misplaced.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
When DDG was at his worst last season, Henderson should have been given a chance. I think that's where his bitterness comes from during the Rangnick era. Because Henderson during his Sheffield United season was most definitely better than De Gea of 2021-22, and maybe he could have been again if given the opportunity.

This isn't to say that Henderson is a superior 'keeper in absolute terms. But just like when Shaw is off-form, Malacia should get the first XI spot to prove himself.

I think people get too wrapped up in the idea of their favourite players. I get it. De Gea has been brilliant at times since 2011 and every United fan loves him for those good times. But football is a squad game, and players will get upset when it looks like the manager is not selecting/dropping individuals based on merit.
Our squad deemed De Gea to be our best player last season. So if the argument is about keeping the squad happy by picking players based on merit, sidelining Henderson in favour of the player the squad thought was performing best did just that.

Devil You Know

Our squad deemed De Gea to be our best player last season. So if the argument is about keeping the squad happy by picking players based on merit, sidelining Henderson in favour of the player the squad thought was performing best did just that.
He won by virtue of being good for 50% of the season while everybody else was crap for the whole of it. After January, DDG was as bad as anyone and deserved to be dropped.

ti vu

He won by virtue of being good for 50% of the season while everybody else was crap for the whole of it. After January, DDG was as bad as anyone and deserved to be dropped.
The thing is by that time, there was a leaking war in the dressing room and Henderson was one of the suspects of multiples leakers.

It looks like Henderson didn't have the trust of the dressing room because this suspicion. Henderson didn't exactly perform impressively in the few chances he's given either.

Artorias

The thing is by that time, there was a leaking war in the dressing room and Henderson was one of the suspects of multiples leakers.

It looks like Henderson didn't have the trust of the dressing room because this suspect.
Just sell him, he'll be never good enough for the team.

lex talionis

Dean Henderson is still only 26 years old. We can all understand his impatience, but he should have understood that the career of a solid keeper can extend until the late 30s. He should have acquitted himself more intelligently, despite his understandable frustration, and understood the fantastic position he was in given the position De Gea was in, that being that his contract was up in 2023 -- with the one year club option for 2024 -- if I understand it correctly. I believe De Gea has done enough to keep his job, but there are those in mancunia who believe he's a shite keeper -- famously once described here as "arguably the worst keeper in the PL" -- and if that's the case then the door was wide open for Hendo, as the brilliant backup keeper he may well be, to step in and step up to United glory.

In other words, had Hendo served the club brilliantly -- as he believes he is capable of -- without bitching and moaning he'd be in the fantastic position today of watching United let De Gea's contract run down and install Hendo as the #1 with no fuss whatsoever. But Hendo has burned the bridges behind him and his future is uncertain. Maybe a newly promoted club, but definitely not a top four club and his future prospects as the England keeper are very doubtful.

Dr. Dwayne

I do agree with you about fans siding with the club but that interview that everyone labelled as arrogant was in actual fact, anything but.

This was what he said; "I didn't really want the manager to come in and be able to see me in training because I knew he'd probably want to keep me. So I tried to do it all before I left for the season, I told all the hierarchy I need to go and play football. I don't want to be here playing second fiddle. And it panned out so I was almost gone before the manager came in the door and I haven't spoken to him since."

And everyone obviously jumped on the "he'd probably want to keep me" comments as they were perceived to be arrogant, even though in fairness the comments were correct given we went onto make offers for Sommer and Trapp before signing an established Premier League goalkeeper in Dubravka on loan as Ten Hag wasn't comfortable with Heaton as the main back up goalkeeper. However, the real story in what he said was "I don't want to be here playing second fiddle". He didn't back himself to take De Gea's place under a completely new manager with very different ideas to those who had gone before, particularly a manager far more likely to appreciate Henderson's ability to enable the team to play a higher line, a manager known to be more interested in the background data that would have known about the various improvements in the team both defensively and offensively during Henderson's run in the team in 20/21. It was a sign of weakness rather than arrogance.

The reality is he will move on, and rightly so, but the supporter unhappiness towards him for his comments last summer was completely misplaced.
Yeah I don't recall the additional comments. If that's the case then perhaps the animosity is misplaced and the result of some manipulation by the press.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

It looks like Henderson didn't have the trust of the dressing room because this suspicion. Henderson didn't exactly perform impressively in the few chances he's given either.
All just speculation. So who leaked the news that Henderson was a leaker then? Why do we need to believe the news?

Lyng

Truth is he is a decidedly average keeper who also happens to be a cnut who talked shit about the club in an interview.

Correct

Dean Henderson is still only 26 years old. We can all understand his impatience, but he should have understood that the career of a solid keeper can extend until the late 30s. He should have acquitted himself more intelligently, despite his understandable frustration, and understood the fantastic position he was in given the position De Gea was in, that being that his contract was up in 2023 -- with the one year club option for 2024 -- if I understand it correctly. I believe De Gea has done enough to keep his job, but there are those in mancunia who believe he's a shite keeper -- famously once described here as "arguably the worst keeper in the PL" -- and if that's the case then the door was wide open for Hendo, as the brilliant backup keeper he may well be, to step in and step up to United glory.

In other words, had Hendo served the club brilliantly -- as he believes he is capable of -- without bitching and moaning he'd be in the fantastic position today of watching United let De Gea's contract run down and install Hendo as the #1 with no fuss whatsoever. But Hendo has burned the bridges behind him and his future is uncertain. Maybe a newly promoted club, but definitely not a top four club and his future prospects as the England keeper are very doubtful.
The will cease to be doubtful if he is playing full time. Neither Ramsdale nor Pickford are actually better than him. Going by his heroics at Sheff Utd when he had full game time.

CaseHero

If he turned in the bs egoistical persona and put his head down and learned the trade he could of had a half decent career at Old Trafford. He had a great opportunity

Someone needs to tell him 'you have mouth and two ears, so listen more and speak less.'

lex talionis

The will cease to be doubtful if he is playing full time. Neither Ramsdale nor Pickford are actually better than him. Going by his heroics at Sheff Utd when he had full game time.
I agree that Hendo has fantastic potential. He’s a bit rash coming out for balls, but he does compete for balls in congested areas. I’d call him a very good all rounder but without any one exceptional skill.

I’d give him the edge over Pickford, but not over Ramsdale. All three are inferior to De Gea right now.

FerociousCorgis

Truth is he is a decidedly average keeper who also happens to be a cnut who talked shit about the club in an interview.
exactly. If people want to replace DDG by all means i understand that, but this average little dbag isnt near good enough to be the future for us if we want a "modern" keeper.

The Urban Goose

Should've took the £15/20m when we had the chance.
Going by this at 10:50 I think if Forest stay up they'll look to buy him, and he'll be worth £20m to them (watch from 10:30 for context).

If he's still on crutches he's clearly done for the season, so I expect Forest are giving him the "we want you here next season" sell.

Revan

Assumptionman
We messed big time by not fooling Chelsea and selling him to them. We always mess up not selling players when their stock is high, and keep them until they become worthless.