Dean Henderson signed new contract | Loaned out to Sheffield United

dbs235

And whom would you suggest would we sell him to? Highest paid keeper in the world, but not even the best performing in his own league?
I’m afraid you’re both a tad away with the fairies if you think he’ll have clubs interested in paying a fee for him. Bit like Bale at Madrid, no one would want him, unless on a free. After United for Dave I don’t see anyone other than PSG after him and that’s far from a certain thing. I’m not sure how he got such a good deal last time round, his agent called the clubs bluff and it worked wonderfully well.

It’s a club issue, I’m not going to panic about Henderson, as I do like him as a keeper and I believe he’s better suited to our current defensive set up, but I also believe we have an even better keeping prospect already on the books.
Who's that?

izec

We wont get rid of De Gea now, so another season wouldnt be bad. He wouldnt be starting here, at best a rotational option in cups and Europa League. Unless we bring in a new manager who wants him as a starter.

He will improve further, another season and i dont think questions will be asked who is the better keeper.

cyril C

From what I have gathered, Henderson's initial performance wasn't that good, but gradually grow into his job, which was EXACTLY like DDG did on his 1st season. So Henderson is learning on his job at someone's expense, what is the complaint? In 2 years time we can bring him back to replace DDG, save us the worry.

Red_toad

From what I have gathered, Henderson's initial performance wasn't that good, but gradually grow into his job, which was EXACTLY like DDG did on his 1st season. So Henderson is learning on his job at someone's expense, what is the complaint? In 2 years time we can bring him back to replace DDG, save us the worry.
There’s a feeling he’s going to want to play at a bigger team than Sheffield Utd and there has been interest in him from better clubs, who wish to purchase him.
I’d say fans are worried we’ve gotten idiots running the club and an underperforming keeper in the team on a very lucrative long term contract.

cyril C

There’s a feeling he’s going to want to play at a bigger team than Sheffield Utd and there has been interest in him from better clubs, who wish to purchase him.
I’d say fans are worried we’ve gotten idiots running the club and an underperforming keeper in the team on a very lucrative long term contract.
I would disagree. Henderson is nowhere near top keeper level, not for another 1-2 seasons. He could become a Pickford (and better hopefully) but only if he get game time. He can replace DDG in 2 seasons time, not now, hence we still need to retain DDG for a little longer.

The same argument can apply to Greenword, give him 2 seasons he can be great, but can't expect him to replace RVP now (for that matter, James is also true). We have far too many players on Learning Mode after we got rid of many seasoned players...

Red_toad

I would disagree. Henderson is nowhere near top keeper level, not for another 1-2 seasons. He could become a Pickford (and better hopefully) but only if he get game time. He can replace DDG in 2 seasons time, not now, hence we still need to retain DDG for a little longer.

The same argument can apply to Greenword, give him 2 seasons he can be great, but can't expect him to replace RVP now (for that matter, James is also true). We have far too many players on Learning Mode after we got rid of many seasoned players...
Not sure what you disagree with, but obviously there was something.
Dave has a 3 plus 1 contract, so in 2 years he’ll still be no1 if how the club is maintained continues (as in big contract so starts).
Not sure where all this oh in 2 years thing comes from. Dave will still be on a massive contract and Henderson will be out of contract summer 2022.
So looking fairly neutrally at the situation, if there’s no planning in place, we’ll lose potentially England’s best keeper and have Dave starting his renegotiating stance in just over 2 years.

Infestissumam

should extend the loan until 2021, really. It's the perfect place for him to develop further and it'd be a waste to have him behind DDG next year.

Jesse > Messi

Nice to see the club doing sensible moves in the transfer market. he’s our future no1 IMO once Dave is past his best. As I still assert that he is one of the best keepers in the premier league and as such I expect to see those unforced errors come down for the rest of the season and going into next. If he can’t work that out his game for whatever reason then I’d start considering phasing Henderson in and De Gea out

Adnan

Talent Spotter
His loan has been verbally extended for the remaining games of the current season. The loan agreement was due to expire on the 30th of June but both clubs are expected to make it official by the 23rd of June.

Canuckred64

Dont get me wrong I love De Gea but I am worried about losing Henderson. How long will Henderson settle for being loaned out? Is it time to sell De Gea while we could still get a good price and make Henderson our number one?

UncleBob

Dont get me wrong I love De Gea but I am worried about losing Henderson. How long will Henderson settle for being loaned out? Is it time to sell De Gea while we could still get a good price and make Henderson our number one?
Not sure why people still overcomplicate things ref Henderson. He's very clear about his ambitions (becoming the no 1 at Manchester United and for England). It's pretty clear that, unless there's any unforeseen issues like injuries, we want him to keep developing in the Premier League to be ready to challenge De Gea for the spot, he will have been given plenty of assurances on how highly he's rated and what we think the right path is. He's only 23 and this is his first season in the PL, we have time and he has time.

Red00012

Another season out on loan in PL will do him good . Better than sitting on the bench for majority of the season.

padzilla

Hipster
We could have another Pique situation on our hands - another loan move would make a lot of sense.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Another season out on loan is the right move. Henderson gets double the amount of PL games to prove he's ready to make the step up and DDG gets another season to reestablish himself after one poor and one mediocre season. We'll have a much clearer idea of where our goalkeepers are at this time next year.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Henderson has a very good chance to replace Pickford therefore he wouldn't and shouldn't take the risk to be at Old Trafford next season unless De Gea leaves the club.

Best scenario would be if Sheffield United are getting a Europa League spot then another loan deal to them would be obviously a done deal.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Henderson has a very good chance to replace Pickford therefore he wouldn't and shouldn't take the risk to be at Old Trafford next season unless De Gea leaves the club.

Best scenario would be if Sheffield United are getting a Europa League spot then another loan deal to them would be obviously a done deal.
Yeah I think they'll make Europa and then he can get some European experience before he likely comes back the season after.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I can’t help but feel we need to see him play for us before we commit to the change. Who’s to say how he’ll handle being United number one? We want to avoid another Ben Foster situation if we can.

The problem is how to manage that. He surely isn’t going to agree to be second choice.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I think Romero is good enough for us to take the risk with Henderson if he does end up struggling.

Romero himself will no doubt will end up making mistakes during a season but I think he's solid enough for us to keep an eye on the keepers situation over a year and a half, if we do it before he starts ageing even further.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I think Romero is good enough for us to take the risk with Henderson if he does end up struggling.

Romero himself will no doubt will end up making mistakes during a season but I think he's solid enough for us to keep an eye on the keepers situation over a year and a half, if we do it before he starts ageing even further.
Where is De Gea in your scenario?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Where is De Gea in your scenario?
It kind of depends how much love he has for the club really. I dont see him particularly wanting to stay second fiddle dean Henderson too.

So either we sell de gea and make Henderson number 1 with Romero back up.

If de gea is happy and loyal enough then he can stay number 2 but I doubt that will ever happen.

Or we sell Henderson for a low 5 million transfer amount to Sheffield united only for a buy back amount for 10 million in the future or however that would work to our advantage.

I really like Henderson- but it also feels the wrong time to change our goal keeper when our CB's and CDMs can be improved on and our GK is still great thought not as consistent as he once was.

We either take a gamble and go with romero. Or sell Henderson and come back to him when the time is ready and let him know that.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What difference does it make? As long as he's getting first team football. Would you rather be Southampton's number one keeper with a foot still in the door at a club like Manchester United or Southampton's number one keeper with no chance of being the number one at Manchester United? The choice would be pretty straight forward to me...

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
It kind of depends how much love he has for the club really. I dont see him particularly wanting to stay second fiddle dean Henderson too.

So either we sell de gea and make Henderson number 1 with Romero back up.

If de gea is happy and loyal enough then he can stay number 2 but I doubt that will ever happen.

Or we sell Henderson for a low 5 million transfer amount to Sheffield united only for a buy back amount for 10 million in the future or however that would work to our advantage.

I really like Henderson- but it also feels the wrong time to change our goal keeper when our CB's and CDMs can be improved on and our GK is still great thought not as consistent as he once was.

We either take a gamble and go with romero. Or sell Henderson and come back to him when the time is ready and let him know that.
I agree with you that it is very important that we are having a settled defence again since the days of Van der Sar/Rafael/Ferdinand/Vidic/Evra.

Right now there will be anyway no market for De Gea or any other top goalkeeper because all top clubs are having a top goalkeeper.

But to sell Henderson for just 5-10m in the summer would be stupid.......another loan deal with success (That should mean he would replace Pickford in the national team) and if De Gea is then still our goalkeeper for the 2021/2022 season then we could still sell Henderson for surely at least 30m (or even more if Henderson has a brilliant European Championship tournament 2021 ;)).

-Supreme-

I agree with you that it is very important that we are having a settled defence again since the days of Van der Sar/Rafael/Ferdinand/Vidic/Evra.

Right now there will be anyway no market for De Gea or any other top goalkeeper because all top clubs are having a top goalkeeper.

But to sell Henderson for just 5-10m in the summer would be stupid.......another loan deal with success (That should mean he would replace Pickford in the national team) and if De Gea is then still our goalkeeper for the 2021/2022 season then we could still sell Henderson for surely at least 30m (or even more if Henderson has a brilliant European Championship tournament 2021 ;)).
Chelsea possibly if they got rid of Kepa, but will be a brave decision to sell him to our arch rival.

cyberman

Another season on loan then bring him back then he ousts Dave as they have a fair crack at the number 1 shirt.
2 years from now is when we really should be looking to move him on anyway

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Is Henderson the real deal? Does he have the potential to be amongst Schmeichel, VdS and De Gea?

P-Nut

Is Henderson the real deal? Does he have the potential to be amongst Schmeichel, VdS and De Gea?
From his short career so far its hard to tell. GKs peak a lot later, just look at when we signed VdS. If he comes in as number 1 a year or 2 from now he'll be 24/25 and have a good shot at matching them, as long as the team has developed to challenging by then.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
From his short career so far its hard to tell. GKs peak a lot later, just look at when we signed VdS. If he comes in as number 1 a year or 2 from now he'll be 24/25 and have a good shot at matching them, as long as the team has developed to challenging by then.
De Gea and VdS looked like world beaters from early age to be fair. Just VdS had a dip when he moved to Juve but at Ajax he was superb.

P-Nut

De Gea and VdS looked like world beaters from early age to be fair. Just VdS had a dip when he moved to Juve but at Ajax he was superb.
Yeah sure, Henderson hasn't had that dip yet though and Sheff Utd have 2nd best defensive record in the league so he's had a good start, along with getting promoted with them last year.

Skeezix

Another season with Sheffield United will do a lot of good for Dean's development.

Recalling him to compete with De Gea still 1st choice is a not a good move at this point. Unless we are willing to sell Romero for Dean Henderson to get game time in FA cup, League cup.

He is young with time on his hands. Any mistake by him as United's keeper will put unecessary spotlight on him. At Sheffield, he get's to improve without the forceful backlash.