Dean Henderson

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
After spending a few months on Grimsby’s bench and travelling back to United to play some U23 games, he’s finally getting some matches ion League Two. Two starts in a row, 0 conceded goals, 1 MOTM performance. Third consecutive start today as they meet Carlisle (2nd in League Two) away 30mins.

top1whoisman

Scout
What a save. He definitely has loads of potential. Had some great saves with the u-21 last year.
This loan is turning out well.
I'd be very surprised if he ever makes full United debut. Decent keeper, but I think Championship or League One is, and will be his level. As for the loan going well, he didn't play a minute before christmas. Let's hope he keeps that no.1 spot until the end of the season.

ti vu

I'd be very surprised if he ever makes full United debut. Decent keeper, but I think Championship or League One is, and will be his level. As for the loan going well, he didn't play a minute before christmas. Let's hope he keeps that no.1 spot until the end of the season.
It's hard to judge potential, let alone GKs whom for most part peaks later years and requires experience to progress which is hard. Good that Dean got a chance to get this real experience and hope it helps him kicking on. Tom Heaton was our academy product was not a PL level keeper at the start but now moved up the rank and be a proper one as well as was part of England squad with some luck.

top1whoisman

Scout
It's hard to judge potential, let alone GKs whom for most part peaks later years and requires experience to progress which is hard. Good that Dean got a chance to get this real experience and hope it helps him kicking on.
You're right. A lot depends on what the future holds for Joel Pereira. To me, he's by far the most promising one, but the role of 3rd choice gk is frustrating as hell. Half a year watching world class keeper closely is good, but as you said, young keepers need games. Hope Pereira can become a future no.2 in a couple of years, just don't see Henderson or O'Hara reaching his level.

Ashley R1+O

He looks very well built for a young lad. Plenty of pashuuuuuuuuunnnnnnn! as well.

spenzo

You're right. A lot depends on what the future holds for Joel Pereira. To me, he's by far the most promising one, but the role of 3rd choice gk is frustrating as hell. Half a year watching world class keeper closely is good, but as you said, young keepers need games. Hope Pereira can become a future no.2 in a couple of years, just don't see Henderson or O'Hara reaching his level.
I'm curious, in what ways would you say Pereira is better than Henderson? As far as shot stopping and reflexes at least I'd say Dean has him beat.

top1whoisman

Scout
I'm curious, in what ways would you say Pereira is better than Henderson? As far as shot stopping and reflexes at least I'd say Dean has him beat.
Pereira's strong in the air, better distribution, fearless, seems to calm down the defence in front of him (based on Belenenses' matches), good on the ball.. Henderson is a good shot stopper, to me Pereira just looks like a complete package who could already play in the Championship level. Never know how players develop though, Henderson's 8,5 months younger.

spenzo

Pereira's strong in the air, better distribution, fearless, seems to calm down the defence in front of him (based on Belenenses' matches), good on the ball.. Henderson is a good shot stopper, to me Pereira just looks like a complete package who could already play in the Championship level. Never know how players develop though, Henderson's 8,5 months younger.
Can't dispute most of that to be fair but the fact that he does seem to concede soft goals more than I'd like. I know Henderson has been highly rated throughout his time in the academy but like you say you never know how players will develop.

Sid234

It's unfortunate for these lads that we have DDG and Romero in the team now.. Especially for Johnstone. Could have a had a shot at the GK spot had he been a few years older and around when VdS was nearing retirement and Kuszczak/Foster were our GK's

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's unfortunate for these lads that we have DDG and Romero in the team now.. Especially for Johnstone. Could have a had a shot at the GK spot had he been a few years older and around when VdS was nearing retirement and Kuszczak/Foster were our GK's
I dunno, I like Johnstone but I don't think he's kicked on as much as I would have hoped. Not United no.1 material IMO. Good Prem keeper though I would hope.

Sid234

I dunno, I like Johnstone but I don't think he's kicked on as much as I would have hoped. Not United no.1 material IMO. Good Prem keeper though I would hope.
I think a lack of regular 1st team football has held him back.. He should've been out on loan since the start of the season

khoazany

Henderson made the League Two's Team of the Day this week (two times in a row). Safe to say this level isn't much of a challenge for him.

Big Andy

Bloke
*shudders

Prodigal7

I really like Henderson as a keeper . I think he can become as good as Pereira at that age as he has the raw ability. Experience will help him develop his presence and his distribution.

ti vu

Great news to hear he got and made most of his chance. Getting experience under his belt and come new season he can fancy a loan in higher leagues/

khoazany

Great news to hear he got and made most of his chance. Getting experience under his belt and come new season he can fancy a loan in higher leagues/
There were actually teams from higher leagues enquired about him but he wanted to stay to get Grimsby promoted.

Giggsy92

There were actually teams from higher leagues enquired about him but he wanted to stay to get Grimsby promoted.
He's settled well in the area too, got family who live there apparently which helps. Overall it's turning into a very good move for all parties, just a shame he didn't get his chance earlier really.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Grimsby Town boss Marcus Bignot speaks about Manchester United loanee Dean Henderson
By Liam Wood

GRIMSBY Town boss Marcus Bignot is proud the club have paved the way for Dean Henderson to have a 'big future' in the game.

As reported, the 19-year-old has extended his loan deal from Manchester United until the end of the season.

And, having started the last six games, Henderson is likely to keep the gloves ahead of tomorrow's League Two clash at Stevenage (3pm).

Bignot said: "You can see from the response of the supporters how much of a big signing he is. It just adds to the belief around the place.

"He isn't short of confidence is he? Dean is a very confident lad.

"But the big thing for me that stands out is his effort and work-rate to get better.

"He's going to have a big future in the game, without any shadow of a doubt."

Bignot - who gave Henderson his pro debut on Boxing Day - added: "With the belief he's got, he can go as far as he wants. I'm talking about the person.

"His ability is there for everyone to see. I keep going back to how he is on the training ground, and wanting to be better.

"When you have got that drive and ambition, you can't put a seal on it. Let him go and flourish, blossom and go as far as he can go.

"I'm pleased that this football club have been able to give him a chance, of course with the permission of Manchester United."

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
'I want to become the best in the world, and do it my way'

AIMING HIGH: Dean Henderson is hoping he can hit the heights of the likes of Manchester United team mate David de Gea and World Cup winner Manuel Neuer.

WHEN it comes to confidence, Dean Henderson certainly isn't lacking – and it's a trait that certainly serves the man who wants to become the world's best goalkeeper well.

The 19-year-old is currently serving his football apprenticeship at Grimsby Town, with his eyes firmly fixed on making himself Manchester United's number one.

Of course, shifting David de Gea – arguably the current title holder of world's best – from his spot at one of the world's biggest clubs is not going to be an easy task.

But Henderson has no doubts in his mind that, at some point in the near future, he'll be challenging the Spaniard for his spot in Jose Mourinho's team.

And it's clear that United know he has the ability to do that.

The Premier League giants tracked Henderson from the age of ten, they've had him training with the club's biggest stars, and they've been eager to get him playing in the Football League before he's even turned 20.

It all points to them realising they have something special on their hands – which will be music to the ears of the Mariners, who have secured him for the remainder of the season.

And with his immediate future now sorted, Henderson can return to his ultimate aim – making himself the world's best goalkeeper.

"When I was growing up I was an outfielder, so I was looking at the likes of Ronaldo," Henderson told the Telegraph.

"But once I went in net I started looking at Peter Schmeichel and Edwin van der Sar. I looked at them and realised I wanted to be like them.

"Now a new era's come through and you've got the likes of David de Gea, Manuel Neuer and Hugo Lloris, so you obviously watch and learn from them.

"But at the end of the day, you want to be your own person, you want to get to the top yourself.

"Hopefully one day people will be saying the same things about me – saying that they want to be the next Dean Henderson."

Part of Henderson's learning curve has seen him drop down into the lower reaches of English football in order to learn his craft.

A spell at Stockport last year has been followed up with this season's turn at Blundell Park, where he has taken League Two by storm with some astonishing saves in the process of keeping four clean sheets in his first six appearances.

READ MORE: Henderson aiming for promotion after extending Town deal
And, with fellow keeper James McKeown and coach Andy Warrington helping him along the way, Henderson is constantly adding to his game.

"Saturday at 3pm is when you learn the most.

"There were scenarios at Hartlepool where Billy Paynter was using his experience – he knows I want to come and collect crosses so he's getting me in the ribs, grabbing my arms, and you've got to find little ways out of that yourself.

"Macca and Andy have been great, they're absolutely outstanding. The advice they give me is brilliant.

"Macca teaches me how to prepare for games – I watched him for the spell when I was out of the team and just watched how he prepares, and it's good working with him because he keeps his standards high in training, so it's good to have that competition."

Henderson will be aiming to continue his great form between the sticks tomorrow as the Mariners travel to Stevenage.

And, with promotion at Town firmly in his sights, the 19-year-old prospect wants to continue making a name for himself during the remainder of the campaign.

"As it stands, I'm the youngest goalkeeper in the Football League, so I'm out there trying to make a name for myself.

"You've sometimes got to step out of your comfort zone, go out there and play and prove yourself instead of telling people how good you are.

"I'll go out there, and I like to think I'll show everyone how good I think I am and how much I really want this.

"I've just got to keep going, and I'm very determined to do that."

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/i-can-be-best-in-the-world/story-30089567-detail/story.html

spenzo

Whether he makes it at United with De Gea is one thing, but I think the sky is the limit for Henderson, seriously talented keeper and it's good to see that he has high ambitions himself.

top1whoisman

Scout
Well this is weird. Just a few weeks ago his loan was extended till the end of the season. Was wondering whether Pereira is injured since O'Hara was the 3rd keeper on Wednesday.

top1whoisman

Scout
Exactly what I thought. Nothing confirmed yet, the United article says "more to follow"...

top1whoisman

Scout
This sucks for Hendo as he seemed to be enjoying the challenge at Grimsby, and this really sucks for Joel, if he indeed is injured.

Member 99369

This sucks for Hendo as he seemed to be enjoying the challenge at Grimsby, and this really sucks for Joel, if he indeed is injured.
If he's being brought back here to get himself on the first team bench every game, it wouldn't suck too much - gives him a sense of the atmosphere and pressure, with the odd chance of coming on late in a game.

top1whoisman

Scout
If he's being brought back here to get himself on the first team bench every game, it wouldn't suck too much - gives him a sense of the atmosphere and pressure, with the odd chance of coming on late in a game.
Seeing as DDG & Romero were both in the squad for Wednesday and Pereira was surprisingly out of the travelling squad and O'Hara was in, I'd say Henderson has been recalled to be the 3rd one. If it is so, he won't be on the bench. Surely he will learn a lot by travelling with the squad etc., but playing with adults 90 minutes week in, week out, even at the level of Grimsby, would be more valuable. In my opinion.

DatGuyRich

He must be so annoyed.

Was playing week in week out for Grimsby and the fans loved him to now having to follow around the team and be 3rd choice knowing his chances of ever making the first team are super slim.

Wouldn't suprise me if he leaves in the summer and I'd be super happy if he did for his own sake. The guy was loving the challenge at Grimsby and had already displaced their main number one.