Gaming Death Stranding

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Death Stranding is an upcoming PS4 game by legendary Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima.

Kojima will have a talk session at 3pm PST, 11pm BST, 12am CEST today where it is expected he will reveal more details about the game.

Will be streamed here according to Kojima's twitter

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
http://www.gamesradar.com/heres-what-death-stranding-is-actually-about-according-to-hideo-kojima/

We finally know what Hideo Kojima's new game is called (Death Stranding), that it will star a space prisoner (?) played by Norman Reedus, and that it's very close to entering full production. And now thanks to a new interview with Wired, we actually know a little bit of what it's about.

According to Kojima, most modern action games have players fighting with the equivalent of sticks - swords, guns, and other objects that keep bad things away. The stick was mankind's first ever tool, so it makes sense to start there. But Kojima Productions will try to "tie people together" by moving on to humanity's second tool: ropes.

"What people are playing today in open-world action games, or linear action games, it will compare naturally to them," Kojima said. "It will feel familiar. But after an hour or two of playing, you will start to feel something different, something new that you haven’t played. The story is about connections, what you call 'strands' in psychology - how people are connected."

You may have noticed that all the dead sea creatures in that trailer had weird umbilical cord things too, not just Reedus and the baby, so expect to see more connections along those lines. Kojima's being cagey about what kind of multiplayer the game will include, saying only that it's a "new system", but you'll definitely interact with other players somehow. Probably not by lassoing them like a naked, oiled-up cowboy, but at this point there's honestly no telling.

Along with the obvious implications about being left alone on a weird alien beach, that's the "Standing" part covered. So what about "Death"? "In arcade games, you have this notion of dying, putting another quarter in, and coming back," Kojima explained. "That hasn’t changed in the 35 years that I’ve been making games. In this game, life and death will be part of that, but I want to give a different twist to that notion."

Kojima has played around with the notion of perma-death in the past, but it sounds like that's not quite what he's talking about here. Maybe when you die you come back as a tiny little baby and have to find a full grown Norman Reedus to care for you? For now, we'll have to keep poring over that trailer for more answers.
Not a whole lot revealed, but I'm looking forward to this.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Why does everyone love Kojima? He just seems like a massive fecking gaming version of a hipster.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Why does everyone love Kojima? He just seems like a massive fecking gaming version of a hipster.
Because he made the MGS Series which despite the last two outings, have a place up there with the best series in gaming, he then got royally shafted while he was in the throws of making what looked to be an immense game in Silent Hill.

And feck knows what a "gaming version of a hipster" is. I think you might be projecting on some other deeply held issues.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Because he made the MGS Series which despite the last two outings, have a place up there with the best series in gaming, he then got royally shafted while he was in the throws of making what looked to be an immense game in Silent Hill.

And feck knows what a "gaming version of a hipster" is. I think you might be projecting on some other deeply held issues.
He always has these great ideas and then somehow just fecks about for a few years without doing much. The early MGS games were great back in the day as it was something a bit new, the last couple have been average at best. He makes them into more a film than a game, and that being said, a film that makes very little feck sense, overcomplicates things so just he understands. I honestly don't get the hype surrounding him, I don't know why he just cant give us something more concrete with this Death Stranding thing. I think he wants to be a film maker and not a game dev anymore.

Each to their own obviously, I just don't understand it myself.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Kojima does seem like a bit of a weirdo in fairness. I'm sure in his ideal world everything would be a cutscene.

I love Mads Mikkelsen.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Obviously because he's created one of the most critically lauded and generally loved series in gaming history.

I'm not even sure what the term hispter is supposed to mean when used in this context. Surely we don't want a gaming industry full of dull as feck call of duty type generic games?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Kojima does seem like a bit of a weirdo in fairness. I'm sure in his ideal world everything would be a cutscene.

I love Mads Mikkelsen.
:lol: Metal Gear Solid started off great but crawled further and further up its own arse with each iteration. Death Standing better not be dependent on plot because MGS ended up having the most convoluted and downright stupid plots I've ever seen in a computer game. And the cutscenes, christ, the cutscenes...

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Not a Kojima fan.
Will wait with this til some friends have played it through, and if its any good i'll consider buying it when its on sale.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Not a Kojima fan.
Will wait with this til some friends have played it through, and if its any good i'll consider buying it when its on sale.
It'll be about 10 years away, will be cancelled in 8, and all we will have seen are about 10 cutscenes.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
He always has these great ideas and then somehow just fecks about for a few years without doing much. The early MGS games were great back in the day as it was something a bit new, the last couple have been average at best. He makes them into more a film than a game, and that being said, a film that makes very little feck sense, overcomplicates things so just he understands. I honestly don't get the hype surrounding him, I don't know why he just cant give us something more concrete with this Death Stranding thing. I think he wants to be a film maker and not a game dev anymore.

Each to their own obviously, I just don't understand it myself.
He has done the opposite of that with the last game.

Brocky

I'm a huge Kojima fan. I'm also a huge Silent Hill fan. The Metal Gear series and the Silent Hill series are my two favourite franchises of all-time. So, when P.T came around, I was obviously creaming my pants at the prospect of a Kojima developed Silent Hill. I was also subsequently devastated when the whole Kojima & Konami split came around and it was announced that Silent Hills was cancelled.

Now, I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories - and we know that whenever Kojima is concerned, conspiracy theorists gonna conspiracy theory because, well, Kojima - but this popped up on my YouTube suggestions today and, having never seen it before, I decided to give it a watch and it's completely blown my mind. It's an hour long and drags out a bit but, if you're a fan of Silent Hill or Kojima in general and if you've got an hour to kill, it's definitely worth a look. It goes a little far-fetched at a point with regards to the Kojima & Konami split but then totally reinforces it's theory. It's most certainly not your average clutching at straws type of conspiracy theory video.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
I can't wait for this game.

It will be trippy but i just know it will be fantastic and worth it

Minimalist

I'd give anything by Kojima a look, such is my respect for the man. Definitely more cautious about pulling the trigger on a purchase these days though as his recent work hasn't been good (after MGS4, MGSV).

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think it's just going to be Metal Gear Solid but by another name, the game play looks very similar and the lush green hills look spectacular. It also looks like the more gear you have, the more you carry, so it will be up to you if you want to carry more and have a more difficult time getting through the game or carry less but have less on hand to use against enemies.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I doubt Kojima does either. It's been three years now since the reveal and still no sign of a release date.

Those illustrations looks like they're done by Yoji Shinkawa so that's cool at least. Always loved that style.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think we have less of an idea of what the game is about with that 'trailer'

fellaini's barber

One thing I've been wondering though, what is so special about this Troy Baker dude's voice acting in video games? Why is he like Arnold or Jackie Chan in the 90's for every fecking AA game?

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
One thing I've been wondering though, what is so special about this Troy Baker dude's voice acting in video games? Why is he like Arnold or Jackie Chan in the 90's for every fecking AA game?
He's pretty good to be fair, he does a lot of DC and Marvel games and animated shows too

b82REZ

He's extremely versatile. He does the voice for the bad guy in Far Cry 4 which I couldn't believe when I found out.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers

Releasing November 8th

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Still not a clue :lol:

Good song choice though! Always fancied that song would be great for a horror film.

Don't know what to make of what we see in that video clip... Looks a bit gimmicky, and not really much actually gameplay shown, just running about a field and using a set of ladders.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
Still not a clue :lol:

Good song choice though! Always fancied that song would be great for a horror film.

Don't know what to make of what we see in that video clip... Looks a bit gimmicky, and not really much actually gameplay shown, just running about a field and using a set of ladders.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I think it'll be almost like Dark Souls style invasions but perhaps both pvp and pve? He's done it again anyway, it's going to be a unfathomable masterpiece.

WWI, Vietnam, maybe Apollo mission flashback style gameplay? Maybe a nuclear disaster zone. I honestly have no clue, the gameplay looks immense though. Graphically and stylistically incredible too.