Gaming Death Stranding

Irwin99

Should I play this, or just starg MGS 5 all over again?
I just platinumed MGSV after a 3 year break. The game still holds up as a lot of fun but it does have it's flaws. I'd say give it another go.

I'm waiting for this to come down in price. Next year it'll probably drop to twenty pounds sometime (hopefully sooner rather than later)

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I just platinumed MGSV after a 3 year break. The game still holds up as a lot of fun but it does have it's flaws. I'd say give it another go.

I'm waiting for this to come down in price. Next year it'll probably drop to twenty pounds sometime (hopefully sooner rather than later)
MGSV (full game) is $7 on the playstation store at the moment... fecking insane

Irwin99

Seems to be generating a variety of opinion which is interesting but I get the feeling the dust hasn't settled yet. Anyone completed it and can offer non-spoilery thoughts?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Out of the top ten in just three weeks. Ouch.

I wonder if the studio even made any money at all with this game, which is worrying since they probably needed it to.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
For all the shit Konami took for sacking Kojima, they appear vindicated in the long run. Dude wants to make movies.

Ainu

For all the shit Konami took for sacking Kojima, they appear vindicated in the long run. Dude wants to make movies.
As pretentious and self-indulgent as Kojima is, I'd still support him over Konami any day of the week. Those video game sales charts are a sad state of affairs by the way. Not because Death Stranding falls out of the top 10, but because it's fecking Call of Duty at number 1. No wonder companies like Activision and EA do what they do, if this is how gamers vote with their wallets.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
As pretentious and self-indulgent as Kojima is, I'd still support him over Konami any day of the week. Those video game sales charts are a sad state of affairs by the way. Not because Death Stranding falls out of the top 10, but because it's fecking Call of Duty at number 1. No wonder companies like Activision and EA do what they do, if this is how gamers vote with their wallets.
Meh, the best selling PS4 games ever have been their critically acclaimed exclusives and games like Red Dead 2 and The Witcher 3. Games like CoD come along, get hyped for a week or 2 and then fall off the cliff in comparison.

Ainu

Meh, the best selling PS4 games ever have been their critically acclaimed exclusives and games like Red Dead 2 and The Witcher 3. Games like CoD come along, get hyped for a week or 2 and then fall off the cliff in comparison.
I don't know, I saw a list of best selling PS4 games the other day that had 3 Call of Duty and 2 Fifa titles in the top 10 alone. It was from vgchartz but I'm not sure how recent, as I can't access it at work.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
The game's actually really damn good, probably his best since MGS3.

I agree, I'd have it slightly ahead on MGSV which I loved and played more than 100hrs despite the disappointing & seemingly unfinished story. I've clocked over 100hrs on this now & on chapter 8 or 9.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I agree, I'd have it slightly ahead on MGSV which I loved and played more than 100hrs despite the disappointing & seemingly unfinished story. I've clocked over 100hrs on this now & on chapter 8 or 9.
Good stuff. Not that far yet but I've seen how it ends (had to because I had fears over a certain character and for reasons I needed to know what happened in the end).

This. It's way better than Jedi Order, for example, which I presume is still in those charts.
It is, which is a shame because it's a walking simulator hehe.

AaronRedDevil

Finally completed the game yesterday. The game can be a massive grind but the story kept pulling me back in. I was very immersed in the world and honestly the grind didn't bother me once. Takes a while for the game to really kick in. Get to Ep 3 for it to really start. All the actors were brilliant, especially Mads. He was amazing in this game. Those last few hours were some of the best story telling I've seen. Lot of nice moments and some tear jerking moments too. Some of it got a bit too real for me. The ending made it worth the grind.

Obviously this wouldn't be a normal gamers cup of tea. You'd really need to be in the mood for it. And have hours to burn. Yes most of the time you are just walking, but to me it was strangely fun walking through the game, trying to find the best way up and seeing other helpful objects, that other players put down to help me out. Especially when you are walking to a mission and a song plays, somehow it just feels damn good in that moment. It's hard to explain. Even the story is hard to explain to someone, but thankfully it answer all my questions.

So the story is on another level, great twists and turns in the game. Great side characters. Lot of quirky moments that gave the game more charm. I'll give this game a 10/10 for me personally.

Irwin99

I’m only on chapter 2 and I’m really enjoying this so far (more than I thought I would). Still No idea what I’m doing with some stuff but I’m slowly figuring out it as I go along.

Trying to plan the least dangerous route to deliver the most cargo is surprisingly fun.

b82REZ

I’m only on chapter 2 and I’m really enjoying this so far (more than I thought I would). Still No idea what I’m doing with some stuff but I’m slowly figuring out it as I go along.

Trying to plan the least dangerous route to deliver the most cargo is surprisingly fun.
Just got to chapter three but your posts sums it up perfectly.

It's a bizarrely brilliant game.

Irwin99

Why is my bridge getting no likes when it’s CLEARLY superior to everyone else’s ?!!!

Irwin99

Did NOT like chapter 4

Still enjoying this a lot though, the gameplay more than the story if i'm honest. It is a bizarre and kinda nice feeling that although you're playing alone you're interacting with and helping other people. Like when you've run into a really stupid problem of your own making by searching for an easier delivery method to avoid BTs/Mules and you're stuck and then suddenly you find a ladder or a bridge built by someone else :drool:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Completed it tonight, thought the last bunch of chapters were brilliant, very well done emotional payoff. Everything plot & story-wise was nicely tied up (in this games own weird way).

And yet I'd still hesitate to recommend it to friends unless I knew for sure they'd click with it, the main gameplay loop is so different and slow paced I can see how some folk wouldn't enjoy playing it.

Personally I really enjoyed it and got quite addicted to levelling up all the outposts and building structures to aid both myself and people to charge equipment, take shelter, cross rivers & chasms, scale mountains or ride along a smooth road, but once I felt a bit of fatigue with the side questing sometime around chapter 8 and I also wanted to finish it before Christmas I pushed on with the main story and didn't worry too much about getting everyone maxed up anymore.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Completed it tonight, thought the last bunch of chapters were brilliant, very well done emotional payoff. Everything plot & story-wise was nicely tied up (in this games own weird way).

And yet I'd still hesitate to recommend it to friends unless I knew for sure they'd click with it, the main gameplay loop is so different and slow paced I can see how some folk wouldn't enjoy playing it.

Personally I really enjoyed it and got quite addicted to levelling up all the outposts and building structures to aid both myself and people to charge equipment, take shelter, cross rivers & chasms, scale mountains or ride along a smooth road, but once I felt a bit of fatigue with the side questing sometime around chapter 8 and I also wanted to finish it before Christmas I pushed on with the main story and didn't worry too much about getting everyone maxed up anymore.
I'm on chapter 8 now and I've really enjoyed the game and i've already sunk way over a hundred hours into it because I want the platinum.

I still can't quite figure the online mechanics though. I virtually built the entire road paths for my game and it kept telling me other players were pleased with me and that I receive likes from them but then I have to wonder why the hell I had to do most of the work in building these paths? Also, why don't people link up the ziplines enough? One of my ziplines has hundreds of online likes but the two that it is connected too have zero, which suggests that either those two aren't helpful for other players or they're not appearing in their worlds :confused:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I'm on chapter 8 now and I've really enjoyed the game and i've already sunk way over a hundred hours into it because I want the platinum.

I still can't quite figure the online mechanics though. I virtually built the entire road paths for my game and it kept telling me other players were pleased with me and that I receive likes from them but then I have to wonder why the hell I had to do most of the work in building these paths? Also, why don't people link up the ziplines enough? One of my ziplines has hundreds of online likes but the two that it is connected too have zero, which suggests that either those two aren't helpful for other players or they're not appearing in their worlds :confused:
I think a lot of the zip lines don't get liked because they are merely go-betweens that people only use to zip to the next one and so on, and don't get off the thing to hand out likes. If a zip line gets used It should get an automatic like imo.

b82REZ

I think a lot of the zip lines don't get liked because they are merely go-betweens that people only use to zip to the next one and so on, and don't get off the thing to hand out likes. If a zip line gets used It should get an automatic like imo.
I thought everything you used automatically gave that item a like? It's then up to you if you want to spam more likes.

Irwin99

I thought everything you used automatically gave that item a like? It's then up to you if you want to spam more likes.
Yeah I second this. I'm pretty sure this is the case with every other construction.

I've just seen someone place a bridge in the most useless of locations- on a flat ground right outside a city, with no strategic benefit whatsoever ....and it's got about a thousand likes :houllier: . It's nothing to get annoyed about but i'm just genuinely baffled as to the thought process behind this or the use to other players.

izzydiggler

Finally got round to giving it a go (only 4 odd hours in)...like everything Kojima does, it’s difficult to wholeheartedly recommend to people but I’ve found it a fascinating experience...simply it’s like nothing else I’ve ever played.

Pretentious, batshit mental, beautiful and intriguing in equal measure. I can see why people would hate it but so far, I’m hooked.

Irwin99

Finished it and now just have a few clean up trophies before getting the platinum. LOVED it. It doesn't come near the first three MGS PlayStation games but I enjoyed it way more than 4 and probably just ahead of 5. I really didn't think I would like it but it was a unique experience.

Kojima still needs help with editing his stories though :lol:

Irwin99

:lol:
I know it had it's faults and it's not for everyone but I loved this game. I'd even say it's in my top 5 PS4 games. Just loved the idea of taking some of the best elements of online play (cooperation, mutual gain) without the bad stuff (obnoxious people)

Sad Chris

Do I need a Playstation Plus membership to enjoy other player’s architecture?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Will the game die without other people playing it? As in, if nobody else is playing it much in 4-5 years will it be playable properly?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
£30 now on PS Store. Am I right saying this is a rather relaxing experience of roaming around world that looks like Iceland?

Ainu

Started playing this the other day, made it to episode 3 and I must say I'm actually enjoying this. The gameplay that is, which is funny since some critics would have you believe there is no gameplay to speak of and it's just a glorified walking simulator. From what I've played so far, it has traversal, resource management, crafting/building, incredibly tense moments of stealth and actual fighting as well. Loads of games feature less player agency and people don't make a problem out of it. There's a satisfying gameplay loop at the heart of this game.

What I don't like are the constant emails, calls and tutorial pop-ups though, with the latter often repeating the exact same message several times, even more than 10 hours into the game when I'm doing something as basic as approaching a ladder. Yes, game, I do know how this works after using it dozens of times, thank you very much. It was easy enough the first time around. Seriously, does Kojima think we're all idiots unable to grasp even the simplest of mechanics? I guess it's consistent with his storytelling style of dumping endless amounts of exposition on us through cutscenes and various written documents. I'm not saying Kojima should go full From Software on us, but a little bit more show don't tell couldn't hurt. Still, since this is the sixth game of his I've purchased (all five main MGS titles before this), he's clearly doing something right, even if I ended up having serious reservations about all but two of them.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I've zip-lined the heck out of the mountains. Every drop-off is now lazily achievable.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Agreed, the gameplay is fine. It's peaceful if anything (although not when BB starts screaming).

Main problem I have is that it's not easy to dip in and out of. Missions are long so I have to put aside 3 hours if I want to play it properly.