Gaming Death Stranding

el3mel

I thought this is a full game play video but half of it was cutscenes yet again and the few minutes of game play were pretty bland. It's a not a problem to be mysterious about a game if you are giving us a game play video, sure as hell it should be about something more interesting than what is delivered in this video? I don't know what Kojima wants.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Another cutscene video.

Honestly at this stage Sony must be watching these trailers and wondering why the feck they gave Kojima so much money to make this game. WHAT THE FECK IS IT?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A video game movie with very easy mode, I reckon

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Another cutscene video.

Honestly at this stage Sony must be watching these trailers and wondering why the feck they gave Kojima so much money to make this game. WHAT THE FECK IS IT?
Did you really expect any different? He LOVES cut scenes telling a story in a game.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
He also did a 48 minute gameplay demo at the Tokyo Game Show though its all in Japanese but here it is anyway...

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nobody would be interested after seeing that gameplay demo if it wasn't a Kojima game.

Sweet Square

Looks very dull.

Also Kojima can never make to two games in a row.

MGS 1 - Good

MGS 2 - Shite

MGS 3 - Good

MGS 4 - Shite

MGS 5 - Good

Well I'm sure the follow up to Death Stranding will be brilliant.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This looks boring as feck.

Siorac

He also did a 48 minute gameplay demo at the Tokyo Game Show though its all in Japanese but here it is anyway...

This was the best, most exciting gameplay sequence they could put together for a games show? I fell asleep after the first 15 minutes of carrying around a lot of heavy boxes.

AaronRedDevil

Looks very dull.

MGS 1 - Good

MGS 2 - Shite

MGS 3 - Good

MGS 4 - Shite

MGS 5 - Good

How DARE you call MGS 4 shite. You take that back right now. That game was a masterpiece.

Ainu

None of the MGS games are truly shite. But yeah MGS 4 was certainly the one where I felt Kojima took things too far. Too pretentious, too self-indulgent. MGS 2 had a little bit of that but not nearly as bad as 4. It would've happened with 5 as well, but clearly someone at Konami had enough of his shit (though that doesn't mean I like Konami, they're awful). Now he has free rein, it definitely seems to be happening again, and probably far worse than ever before.

I guess it's an interesting experiment to have a completely unleashed Kojima do whatever he wants, but I suspect it will result in a game that's all over the place with a completely incoherent mess of a story. Or it might turn out to be a great game anyway, we'll see.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I'm worried. That's just a lot of running about.

Edit: no it doesn't, it looks fecking awesome and varied types of gameplay.

Last edited:

JonDahl

Looks very dull.

MGS 1 - Good

MGS 2 - Shite

MGS 3 - Good

MGS 4 - Shite

MGS 5 - Good

MGS2 was the best in the series.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
MGS 3 > MGS1 > MGS2 > MGS4 > MGS5
Agree with you on MGS5 being the weakest in the series. Sure, the gameplay is top notch but after you've been using the same gameplay for 30 hours and barely any of the story has progressed it becomes tedious.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Metal Gear Solid 2 is easily the best Metal Gear Solid game. The game is incredible.

As for Death Stranding, my interest is waning substantially. I was curious at first, but now it's all getting a bit tedious. It will sell because Kojima, but i don't think it's going to review well.

Ainu

MGS 2 was fantastic until the nonsensical cutscenes in the final stages of the game. That and the underwater sequences with Emma dragged it down in my opinion. The tanker and most of the Big Shell were brilliant though, even playing as Raiden. It completely blew me away back in 2001.

b82REZ

Looks very dull.

MGS 1 - Good

MGS 2 - Shite

MGS 3 - Good

MGS 4 - Shite

MGS 5 - Good

Think you're in the minority here, 5 is probably the weakest and 2 arguably the best.

I can see Death Stranding suprising people and actually being nothing like the trailers suggest, its exactly the type of thing Kojima likes to do.

I have been told by a friend who works a Guerilla that the game is good from what he's seen.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Think you're in the minority here, 5 is probably the weakest and 2 arguably the best.

I can see Death Stranding suprising people and actually being nothing like the trailers suggest, its exactly the type of thing Kojima likes to do.

I have been told by a friend who works a Guerilla that the game is good from what he's seen.
Well he's probably a bit biased seeing as it uses their engine!

It's hard to know, really, maybe Kojima is intentionally being very secretive but I'm not sure, this is a guy who used to release 3 hour playable demos for his games after all.

b82REZ

Well he's probably a bit biased seeing as it uses their engine!

It's hard to know, really, maybe Kojima is intentionally being very secretive but I'm not sure, this is a guy who used to release 3 hour playable demos for his games after all.
My friend is generally very impartial. Played down HZD saying he didn't think it was that good etc.

He's only seen sneak peaks but has said it will blow people away. I don't think he's played it, at least he hadn't last time I saw him but he did say it's an absolute triumph of technology.

I do think Kojima is pulling the bait and switch he did with MGS2 with this.

Ainu

My friend is generally very impartial. Played down HZD saying he didn't think it was that good etc.

He's only seen sneak peaks but has said it will blow people away. I don't think he's played it, at least he hadn't last time I saw him but he did say it's an absolute triumph of technology.

I do think Kojima is pulling the bait and switch he did with MGS2 with this.
I don't really see the comparison. The only bait and switch he did with MGS 2 was the setting and main character. He didn't intentionally show gameplay that was not indicative of the final product.

In fact, the original trailer and tanker demo blew everyone away and created an insane hype for the final product. That doesn't seem to be happening here, a lot of the reactions are that the gameplay demos look sort of boring. If that's intentional misleading on Kojima's part, I just don't see how that's ever a good move from a marketing point of view. Why would you not want to sell people on your game?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looks very dull.

MGS 1 - Good

MGS 2 - Shite

MGS 3 - Good

MGS 4 - Shite

MGS 5 - Good

They're all terrific games with IMO MGS3 being the crowning jewel. Only MGS5 was an oddity in its story being out of touch with the series. It was still a very good game though with the best gameplay of the series.

Death Stranding does look really strange though.

Irwin99

My reaction to the (admittedly few) clips I've seen of this game is '...huh! this looks interestin.....no, i didn't understand any of that'. What actually is this game? A shooter, rpg, open world adventure? :confused:

The last truly great MGS game was 3 . Didn't like 4 at all, and 5 was fun for the gameplay but clearly an unfinished story that wasn't told in the best way.

SATA

I played SH2 for the first time a month back and enjoyed it a lot. Is 3 any good?
For me 2 and 3 are equally good and i enjoyed both. Though the series that followed after that went downhill and coincidentally Kojima wasn’t a part of those anymore. Go on mate, you’ll enjoy it