Gaming Death Stranding

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
That time of year again(For whatever reason I always think of this as a winter game), so I’ve booted this back up.

Spend an hour holding down the R2 button so I could carry by hand a giant barrel of fuel. Held it all the way through BT areas, climbing up hillside, running with it through the mule camps, downing pints of monster energy, etc. Only to let go of the fecking thing right at the end and watch it slide down a giant cliff.

The guy at the delivery port complained and gave me a b rating. Pretty sure the same person has a order of heart medicine coming up soon but that’s not happening.
Seems like you are playing it the right way!

Irwin99

I wonder when they do a sequel if a long trek around Europe could work? "Make Europe whole again" etc. I'd be up for that :D

Sweet Square

Seems like you are playing it the right way!
It’s the only game I’ve played where the more difficult I make it for myself the more I enjoy it. Maybe it’s a great game or I’ve got Stockholm syndrome for Amazon delivery service game.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You can get this free on epic launcher right now for anyone interested.

0le

You can get this free on epic launcher right now for anyone interested.
They have messed up the release. They initially (accidentally?) gave the director's cut for free, and then changed it back to the base game. In the mean time the website and launcher have not worked properly.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
They have messed up the release. They initially (accidentally?) gave the director's cut for free, and then changed it back to the base game. In the mean time the website and launcher have not worked properly.
Yeah heard about that, not going to complain I always wanted to play this game but getting it for free is a bonus.

Just claimed it now and it's working fine for me.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Downloaded it as it is free on PlayStation. An hour in and I am bored out of my mind. Does it get good?

el3mel

Fair enough. Deleted.
It's one of those games that I effectively forced myself through just to justify paying money for it. Rushed the hell out of it and still took me 30 painful hours. Couldn't wait to delete it and free its space for other games on my PS4.

redcucumber

I got this for my PC when EPIC were giving it away over Christmas. Haven't played loads due to life getting in the way, but I absolutely love it. Unreal atmosphere.

Irwin99

I got this for my PC when EPIC were giving it away over Christmas. Haven't played loads due to life getting in the way, but I absolutely love it. Unreal atmosphere.
It seems to split people down the middle, you either love it or hate it. For me i just absolutely loved it. The atmosphere and loneliness of the landscapes and planning the route just blew me away. Music was great too.

Interested to see what happens in the second game. I kinda hope we might play as Sam trekking around Europe connecting everything again but I have a feeling Kojima might do something completely different or unexpected (MGS2) and it might end up being a completely different game.

Siorac

I tried it. It was neat. For like an hour.

Unfortunately, the promise of an intriguing mystery can sustain the actual gameplay of, erm, balancing boxes on your back for only so long.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Will you stop playing that fecking Postman Pat baby in a jar game and come to fecking bed?

So many memories.

Sweet Square

Will you stop playing that fecking Postman Pat baby in a jar game and come to fecking bed?

So many memories.
Kojima work has this amazing ability to be both a critique and almost propaganda. In Death Stranding there is a critique of delivery factories like Amazon but also it’s very addictive/fun to deliver items.

It’s the only game I’ve played for hours and hours.

Woodzy

I wish I could get in to this I know the story is going to be incredible.

I got to the cargo ship but (where apparently the game picks up) but just couldn’t bring myself to play it

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I got to the cargo ship but (where apparently the game picks up) but just couldn’t bring myself to play it
The story has intrigue and cinematic excellence but becomes a bit messy towards the end. For me it’s the immersion and gameplay loop that I loved about DS. It’s deliberately slow and methodical and if that isn’t doing it for you then it’s going to be a slog. I really enjoyed it.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

I wouldn't call the story incredible at all. It's batshit. But I really loved the game. Defo not for everyone though.

amolbhatia50k

One thing about DS is that as much as I enjoyed it, I simply couldn’t get through a 2nd play through. I think games that are a slow burn are harder to go though again.

Ainu

The story is complete, nonsensical garbage. Truly awful stuff. The gameplay loop is pretty satisfying though, even if it isn't for everyone. Overall I liked the game, but seriously, you're better off ignoring whatever nonsense the characters are spouting.

Sweet Square

If the gameplay loop of delivering isn’t clicking then it might be worth giving it a miss. The story is a mess with really sweet honest moments and then bits of awful writing.

Imo the greatest is the gameplay loop and how it’s a very meditative experience. I’ve mentioned this before but it’s about the closest we’ll ever get to video game version of Tarkovsky Stalker.
One thing about DS is that as much as I enjoyed it, I simply couldn’t get through a 2nd play through. I think games that are a slow burn are harder to go though again.
Same. I started a second a play through but didn’t finish it. My first play through was during the pandemic which made finding time a lot easier.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Imo the greatest is the gameplay loop and how it’s a very meditative experience.
I found what I thought would be meditative actually fecking stressful really early on, the rain rusting my boxes really (REALLY) triggered me :)

I do need to get back to this game mind you and try again.

Woodzy

Interesting to know that the story isn’t great. I assumed that being a Kojima story it would be a mess but being equally as captivating as it is bonkers. Maybe I’ll just watch the cutscenes on YouTube in that case as I can’t see the gameplay grabbing me.

Sweet Square

I found what I thought would be meditative actually fecking stressful really early on, the rain rusting my boxes really (REALLY) triggered me :)
True. The feeling when your halfway through your journey and it starts pissing it down but….you forgot the cargo spray!

My most stressful experience was the nuke delivery mission. I put in into a truck and had to slowly drive down a snow mountain.

The Mission Impossible 2 of video games.
:lol:

amolbhatia50k

Interesting to know that the story isn’t great. I assumed that being a Kojima story it would be a mess but being equally as captivating as it is bonkers. Maybe I’ll just watch the cutscenes on YouTube in that case as I can’t see the gameplay grabbing me.
Story wise it’s part intriguing, part weird and part silly. Unlike the old Metal Gear games which were convoluted as hell but ultimately ones that made me wait in anticipation for every cut scene because the narrative and characters were excellent.