Gaming Death Stranding

NinjaFletch

Just started this today. The artistic elements are certainly very nice, but I find it very confusing. I'm not really sure what i'm supposed to do when forging equipment and I have no idea why I'm running around with a baby fetus and I forgot what i'm supposed to do when its crying.
The correct answer to this is to go in to your game settings and turn off the controller volume so you can't hear it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Just started this today. The artistic elements are certainly very nice, but I find it very confusing. I'm not really sure what i'm supposed to do when forging equipment and I have no idea why I'm running around with a baby fetus and I forgot what i'm supposed to do when its crying.
You do what any good parent does and shake it until it stops!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Only natural. In time you'll understand it, somewhat.

Sweet Square

Will do. Thank you.
I wouldn't do this tbh.

There a massive parenting angle in the game(BB is a core part of the story). If you're already finding BB annoying or too much, I would just quit the game and saved yourself the next 60 odd hours. As not giving a shit about the baby(forming a ''connection'')will make the game less impactful imo.

Plus BB is also there as an incentive to not fall over. In terms of gameplay it's another balancing mechanic.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Personal I wouldn't do this.

There a massive parenting angle in the game(BB is a core part of the story). If you're already finding BB annoying or too much, I would just quit the game as not giving a shit about the baby(forming a ''connection'')will make the game less impactful imo.

Plus BB is also there as an incentive to not fall over. In terms of gameplay it's another balancing mechanic.
Okay will do. Thank you.

NinjaFletch

I wouldn't do this tbh.

There a massive parenting angle in the game(BB is a core part of the story). If you're already finding BB annoying or too much, I would just quit the game and saved yourself the next 60 odd hours. As not giving a shit about the baby(forming a ''connection'')will make the game less impactful imo.

Tbf, I made it to the mountains before I did it, but I did a huge amount of my exploring during the bit of the game were you're seperated from him too.

I think I hated more how annoying the combination of buttons to quiet him down was, how frustrating the two slow motion moments are when BTs are near, and how obnoxious the sound coming through the controller is. Maybe if I'd put it through the TV to start I'd have hated that little cnut less.

Sweet Square

I think I hated more how annoying the combination of buttons to quiet him down was, how frustrating the two slow motion moments are when BTs are near, and how obnoxious the sound coming through the controller is. Maybe if I'd put it through the TV to start I'd have hated that little cnut less.
The game by design or accident has a tendency to completely overwhelm the player on just about everything. There's so much to remember and when things go wrong it's like a house of cards falling over. The one big criticism for me is that the game is pretty inaccessible to people who don't play games regularly. The core gameplay of walking around is simple enough but everything is like a maze of menus and information. I was a good 10+ hours in before I realised you could do really big running jumps. I'm sure the game told me at one point but it was lost in the sea of information the game gives you(Mostly within the first few hours). The same with the two slow motion moments with the BT's, which are awful. There's a way to turn them off in the menus(Which everybody should do)but I didn't find this out until I was nearing the end of the game.

Agree with you on the controller, for whatever reason the crying is far more annoying when its coming through that. I ended up switching to the tv although certain boss fights I had to switch it off completely because the crying just didn't stop. I can't blame people for finding it annoying because well it's very annoying. Overall I did quite like the little inactions with BB. The way it would get excited whenever you went on a zip line or hit a boost pad with a vehicle and how if you go to sleep BB will wake up and perform little actions like a thumps up or copy the way Sam is sleeping. Having to look after a baby in jar for 60+ hours is a very Kojima to talk about parenting.

As annoying as BB was throughout my time, the final deliver mission was such a gut punch(Even though I sort knew what was going to happen in the end).

el3mel

"Tedious" must be a word created to describe this game. Can't believe it. In chapter 2 I make a journey step by step throughout the whole map, I'm now close to Port Knot City, but no, I have to return to the very first area of the game to get an order I have to deliver to Port Knot City, traversing the fecking whole map I had already traversed again.

What a chore.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
"Tedious" must be a word created to describe this game. Can't believe it. In chapter 2 I make a journey step by step throughout the whole map, I'm now close to Port Knot City, but no, I have to return to the very first area of the game to get an order I have to deliver to Port Knot City, traversing the fecking whole map I had already traversed again.

What a chore.
Yeah it is very tedious. A slow, slow game. Especially at the beginning.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

What a chore.
Loved it

Irwin99

I actually bought a Low Roar album a bit back and I really like it. Yes it's a much less opaque Radiohead but every time I play it I'm reminded of this game.

el3mel

Yeah it is very tedious. A slow, slow game. Especially at the beginning.
It happened again in chapter 5. After going to mountain knot city I had to go all the way back to south knot city, take an order, then traverse the whole map again to mountain knot city. What a drag.

Bless the soul of whoever played the game before me and built on an online safe room close to mountain knot city to allow me to at least not take the first trip to south knot city.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It happened again in chapter 5. After going to mountain knot city I had to go all the way back to south knot city, take an order, then traverse the whole map again to mountain knot city. What a drag.

Bless the soul of whoever played the game before me and built on an online safe room close to mountain knot city to allow me to at least not take the first trip to south knot city.
I know a guy who pirated the game and tried to play it without all the user-added buildings. He didn't last long :lol:

b82REZ

I must be a masochist. I barely used any other users structures aside from the odd bridge.

Despite never finishing it I loved the game. Can't wait for upgrade to hit.

el3mel

Finished it today. Must have rushed it like hell because I finished it in only 30 hours. The story in the last few chapters were great, and some of the revelations were mind blowing. Terrible direction, though, to structure the story so that you spend 90% of the game with nothing happening then cram everything in the last 6 hours.

Anyway, about a 6/10 game or so. I think Kojima's gameplay is really outdated. This is basically MgsV all over again but instead of being a soldier doing stealthy infiltration, you are a deliveryman doing delivery orders. Everything has to be solved with a delivery, you must go through ton of menus preparing your tools before going into a mission, just like MgsV mission structure, and both have a dead open world and terrible direct combat when you think of going this route. It's time for Kojima to reduce the usage of menus in his games a little bit, and abandon this limited mission structure for a more fluid and natural gameplay, than the "oh he's sick, deliver antibiotics, it doesn't work, return and deliver the entire doctor to him". It's way too video gamey and very outdated imo.

I get the idea Kojima was aiming for. The guy built a very big dead and empty world with the concept of players building it themselves to make traversing the world less tedious for each other. On paper this is a great concept that uses the online feature in a creative way. However, it should have been used in a smaller world and with a gameplay loop that's actually fun. Ultimately you meet zero unique events on your way in each delivery. BTs become a nuisance more than fun and fighting those cargo thieves is terrible because of the shit combat. It's just a tedious gameplay loop.

Anyway I kinda feel a relief since I bought this a long time ago and really wanted to delete it to free space for other games.

AaronRedDevil

Playing this game with my PS4 headset was pure eargasm. I’ll definetly play this again.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've not even played this game and this feels like milking it. I'm quite disillusioned with gaming at the moment.

All I'm seeing is 'PS5 upgrade', 'enhanced edition', 'DLC', 'Ultimate Edition: £120' and more of that bollocks.

Leg-End

I've not even played this game and this feels like milking it. I'm quite disillusioned with gaming at the moment.

All I'm seeing is 'PS5 upgrade', 'enhanced edition', 'DLC', 'Ultimate Edition: £120' and more of that bollocks.
What you can’t see under that ramp is a shark.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

I've been bemoaning this for years, you could see it coming with the advent of digital versions of games. Once people started happily paying £60 - £70 for a game there was going to be no stopping it.

el3mel

Why do people even buy these deluxe/ultimate editions or whatever ? I have never seen a single Deluxe edition that offers anything worthy of the extra 20 dollars or so.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So death stranding, been holding off, so am I right in saying I am best to find a second hand version of the ps4 version and the somehow buy the upgrade on the store (when released)?

Bosws87

I loved the story of this game, enjoyed it a lot more then i expected once it started flowing properly, but i couldn't bring myself to play through it again the gameplay is boring for large portions of the game.

Once i had proper weapons and could deal with the enemies efficiently it became miles better.

Basically when it played like Metal Gear Solid it was great, when it was a walking simulator it was painful, rescued by the story and some of the boss fights for me.

el3mel

I loved the story of this game, enjoyed it a lot more then i expected once it started flowing properly, but i couldn't bring myself to play through it again the gameplay is boring for large portions of the game.

Once i had proper weapons and could deal with the enemies efficiently it became miles better.

Basically when it played like Metal Gear Solid it was great, when it was a walking simulator it was painful, rescued by the story and some of the boss fights for me.
The story on paper was quite good, but it's hurt badly by its awful pacing, considering that it crams most of its events in the last 7 hours or so, while you spend close to 30 hours of absolutely nothing happening, you just walking from one knot to the next and nothing else, alongside some pretty awful side stories. (There's this side story about the 2 couple who got separated then you transport the girl back to him in chapter 3, this girl's voice actress was godawful).

Irwin99

I'm sure I saw a Far Cry 6 deluxe/ultimate edition pre-order for 85 pounds on the PSN store. The cost is just becoming mind blowing.

As for DS, i'm looking forward to going back to it again. Such a chill game and I hope the added story content is substantial. Also, If ever there was a game for haptic feedback then this is it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

I agree but do you play through games of this type twice often? I find there's no replayability to most modern story-driven games - especially the ones pushing 20+ hours.

That's discounting RPGs of course as you can make tangible differences to make each experience fresh (dialogue choices/character builds/etc).

Bosws87

I agree but do you play through games of this type twice often? I find there's no replayability to most modern story-driven games - especially the ones pushing 20+ hours.

That's discounting RPGs of course as you can make tangible differences to make each experience fresh (dialogue choices/character builds/etc).
I’d class it as one of those games you would only play again in the next generation always a few games when you go back years later you appreciate them even more.

Berbasbullet

So if you have the disc version can you upgrade or is it digital only?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Death Stranding director Hideo Kojima has said he doesn't like the name of his expanded Death Stranding: Director's Cut.

In a series of tweets this morning, Kojima compared the typical use of the term Director's Cut in the movie business, and what had happened here.

"A director's cut in a movie is an additional edit to a shortened version that was either released reluctantly because the director did not have the right to edit it, or because the running time had to be shortened," Kojima wrote.

"In the game, it is not what was cut, but what was additionally produced that was included. Delector's Plus? So, in my opinion, I don't like to call [it] 'director's cut'."

--

So who forced this? Was it those that shan't be named?

Ainu

Death Stranding director Hideo Kojima has said he doesn't like the name of his expanded Death Stranding: Director's Cut.

In a series of tweets this morning, Kojima compared the typical use of the term Director's Cut in the movie business, and what had happened here.

"A director's cut in a movie is an additional edit to a shortened version that was either released reluctantly because the director did not have the right to edit it, or because the running time had to be shortened," Kojima wrote.

"In the game, it is not what was cut, but what was additionally produced that was included. Delector's Plus? So, in my opinion, I don't like to call [it] 'director's cut'."

--

So who forced this? Was it those that shan't be named?
Sony are also using that term for the Ghost of Tsushima update, so it has to come from them. They published the game after all. It's just an empty marketing term.

Berbasbullet

Bought the ps4 version when I saw the directors cut announced! Looking forward to getting it tomorrow. Digital foundry’s video about it was very good.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Bought the ps4 version when I saw the directors cut announced! Looking forward to getting it tomorrow. Digital foundry’s video about it was very good.
There you are sir. Haven’t watched it yet but I expect it to be maxed pc settings and running at 60fps considering top gpu’s have no problem running this game in three digit numbers at 4K.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Meh, loved this game but I'm not spending on a director's cut.