Declan Rice | Switches international allegiance to England four years ago

JohnnyLaw

It can be done either way. You can have a pure defensive player sitting back with two players in front of him doing more of the playmaking duties, or a deep-lying playmaker sitting back and a workhorse next to him providing the legs.

Personally I do prefer the latter, but more importantly it does suit our current players better. We'd only need to buy the one player, as we already have Herrera who is well suited to the workhorse role. It's also the same set-up that Pogba had at Juventus. The other way we'd probably have to buy two players now, as Pereira likely isn't going to make it and Gomes isn't ready yet.

Of course, the ideal would probably be having all three of them being fairly good at controlling the team around (similar to how Pep normally sets up).
Fair enough. But let’s not forget the set-up we’re currently employing has provided a +11 goals difference in the last 4 games and is currently working perfectly for everyone involved, especially Pogba who’s been directly involved in half of the goals scored. Rice would pose as a pretty straight forward replacement for Matic.

ThomasMullerCorner

Said it when he made his international debut, he's the quality to be a box to box player and could easily be the Irish captain in the next few years. That is if he decides to stick rather then twist

Robbie Boy

I'm pretty confident that he'll declare for Ireland but I don't really get the hype and I feel it's partly to do with this international tug of war. I will say though, he has improved a-lot this season and he was impressive against Arsenal.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The FAI are proven clowns, so wouldn't read into the tweet. They did something similar with Grealish before.

Nick7

Twitter is full of people arguing about whether or not that’s the new kit.

You’d think the FAI are confident if they’re going to tweet something like that but hey, this is the FAI, never underestimate their capacity to shoot themselves in the foot.
It is the new kit.

Thisistheone

Matic, although rejuvinated under Ole, isnt getting any younger and at 30, will need replacing in the next season or so.

Declan Rice has been getting rave reviews since being moved to the holding midfield position and his peformances have warranted them.

Could potentially be a long term replacememt for Matic.

What do you think?
Not a bad shout, he's really impressed lately. Looks to have a good sense of danger and already seems a leader, at 19.

Would be a good signing.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
how well does he protect the West Ham defence? it's not like they've been solid at the back have they?

technically what is Rice like? I've rarely seen him but I didn't look at him and think he looked special in term of passing
Roy Keane was relegated with forest the year you lot signed him so I dont think a players potential is directly linked to the position of their club in the league.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Roy Keane was relegated with forest the year you lot signed him so I dont think a players potential is directly linked to the position of their club in the league.
And you guys bought Robertson, Wijnaldum and Shaqiri from related clubs

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He actually reminds me a bit of what Roy keane was like at the same age

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
He actually reminds me a bit of what Roy keane was like at the same age
When I saw his performance against Turkey (I think it was Turkey) I was really impressed. He showed maturity and an eye for a pass. He looked a bit light but then who isnt at 19. I would think he needs to play another season injury free to see if he can go to a top tier club but that said he is definitely worth a punt.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Wasn't Keane an attacking midfielder at Declan Rice's age?
He played a bit on the right wing and his discipline (sounds a bit rich) wasnt superb when he was young so he drove forward a lot. He never lost that to his game but his reading of the game became so much better as he matured so he knew when to go forward and when to sit and when he went forward or backwards he always brought other players with him. This was the difference between Keane and other midfielders of the box to box position.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Vant understand how there is no thread on here about this lad and no great clamour to sign him from United fans.The guy reminds me so much of a young Roy Keane its uncanny.If I were United manager I would be doing everything to sign him up before City/Pool/Chelsea do.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is probably the third thread this week, ironically.

United Pro

I reckon he's similar to Dier in that he's versatile enough to play as either a CDM or CB.

I'm not sure the transfer forum is the right place for this thread (unless we've been linked with him).

Andersons Dietician

Vant understand how there is no thread on here about this lad and no great clamour to sign him from United fans.The guy reminds me so much of a young Roy Keane its uncanny.If I were United manager I would be doing everything to sign him up before City/Pool/Chelsea do.
Has there been any link to him with us? Because I thought the transfer speculation thread sort or required credible links and if not they are just football forum discussions.

Only ever seen him once which was against us I think and he was really impressive that game, certainly someone I’d be keen to see more of.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I reckon he's similar to Dier in that he's versatile enough to play as either a CDM or CB.

I'm not sure the transfer forum is the right place for this thread (unless we've been linked with him).
He is already better than Dier in my view and he is 20.Hes going to be around as a top player for the next 10 years at least.

SSSSnake

Haven't seen enough of him but the way they are going on about him on Talksport he's the real deal. We should certainly be in the running for him if he's up for sale.

SteveW

Let's try and keep until he declares for Ireland. Thanks

Withnail

Has there been any link to him with us? Because I thought the transfer speculation thread sort or required credible links and if not they are just football forum discussions.

Only ever seen him once which was against us I think and he was really impressive that game, certainly someone I’d be keen to see more of.
There was some talk back in November that Mourinho had scouted him and was interested but nothing recent.

He's definitely someone United should be in for. He's only going to get better.

I'm hoping he decides to play for Ireland and all

stepic

would cost a fortune already, but if he keeps improving at the rate he has, he will inevitably leave West Ham. Matic replacement?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I wish everyone would just shut the feck up about him till he decides to play for Ireland. I do think he's going to be a cracking player, though. A real maturity about him positionally and on the ball for such a young guy. Exactly the sort of midfielder we could do with.

Dong Fangzhuo

Really like the look of him and was hoping he wouldn't sign a new contract. Will cost a bomb now with that new 6 year deal.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
There was some talk back in November that Mourinho had scouted him and was interested but nothing recent.

He's definitely someone United should be in for. He's only going to get better.

I'm hoping he decides to play for Ireland and all
Why would he? Seriously ?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Looks pretty clear to me that he's going to declare for England.
Really? Seems as though there are moves for it to happen with Ireland. I hope he declares for England as we could do with a holding midfielder. But like others I think he has been a bit overrated due to the international tussle.

Classical Mechanic

Why would he? Seriously ?
He has a long history with Ireland at youth level and supposedly McCarthy has said that he wants to build the team around him.

In regards to England, he's born and raised here and he will see England as a side that's getting better with loads of talent coming through. He could possibly get himself into the side this summer to play in the Nations League finals too.

There are good reasons as to why he could declare for both which is probably why its taking so long. Its a hard decision for him.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Really? Seems as though there are moves for it to happen with Ireland. I hope he declares for England as we could do with a holding midfielder. But like others I think he has been a bit overrated due to the international tussle.
I’m Irish and would love him to pick us but as I read it he’s going to opt for England.If his heart was really with Ireland there would have been no delay, he has played 3 friendlies for us.
Don’t think he’s overrated at all.I guarantee he won’t be with West Ham next season.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He has a long history with Ireland at youth level and supposedly McCarthy has said that he wants to build the team around him.

In regards to England, he's born and raised here and he will see England as a side that's getting better with loads of talent coming through. He could possibly get himself into the side this summer to play in the Nations League finals too.

There are good reasons as to why he could declare for both which is probably why its taking so long. Its a hard decision for him.
Disagree.Its quite an easy decision imo.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I’m Irish and would love him to pick us but as I read it he’s going to opt for England.If his heart was really with Ireland there would have been no delay, he has played 3 friendlies for us.
Don’t think he’s overrated at all.I guarantee he won’t be with West Ham next season.
Think he will still be at West Ham but that will be because they will massively overprice him and have no reason to sell.

Honestly he may feel both Irish and English or not fussed. Either way he may have just not fancied playing for O’Neill and Keane.