Declan Rice | Switches international allegiance to England four years ago

Withnail

Some talk that Southgate sees him as a centre half which he might not fancy.
Martin O' Neill should have given him a full cap when he had the chance and there would be none of this talk now.

From what I've read he had played the friendlies and was intending to play for Ireland when Gareth Southgate asked to speak to him.

News of that hit the press and with all the attention and publicity he was getting he decided to knock it all on the head and concentrate on his club career for a bit. He was getting stick online from eejits etc.

The opinion of a lot of the journalists in Ireland is that there is a good chance he will be playing for Ireland and there has apparently been no further contact with Southgate since that initial meeting in the summer.

There is obviously a higher profile, price tag and wages if you play for England and this may have turned his head.

He's been given a deadline of March by Mick Mc Carthy so we'll have to wait and see.

As for United snap him up now as he'll only be more expensive come the Summer.

Reactions: Niall

Eire Red United

I wish everyone would just shut the feck up about him till he decides to play for Ireland. I do think he's going to be a cracking player, though. A real maturity about him positionally and on the ball for such a young guy. Exactly the sort of midfielder we could do with.
Yeah he’s rubbish sure England wouldn’t want him anyway :drool::drool:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Vant understand how there is no thread on here about this lad and no great clamour to sign him from United fans.The guy reminds me so much of a young Roy Keane its uncanny.If I were United manager I would be doing everything to sign him up before City/Pool/Chelsea do.
You are only supposed to start a thread in the Transfer Forum if there is transfer speculation.

Otherwise, use the thread in the Football Forum.

Jeffthered

Vant understand how there is no thread on here about this lad and no great clamour to sign him from United fans.The guy reminds me so much of a young Roy Keane its uncanny.If I were United manager I would be doing everything to sign him up before City/Pool/Chelsea do.
Sorry. I remember the young Roy Keane. Declan Rice is no young Roy Keane. A young Roy Keane, was box-to-box, crashing tackles, scoring goals and winning matches.

Declan Rice isn't at that level. He doesn't even play the same way. More tidy, rather than dynamic. Like Winks, Eric Dier, Jordan H etc, etc.. all these rather monotone 'tidy' players. No drive and power and authority about them. Very decent players for sure, and good luck to them. But I cannot see that comparison with a young Keano.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Sorry. I remember the young Roy Keane. Declan Rice is no young Roy Keane. A young Roy Keane, was box-to-box, crashing tackles, scoring goals and winning matches.

Declan Rice isn't at that level. He doesn't even play the same way. More tidy, rather than dynamic. Like Winks, Eric Dier, Jordan H etc, etc.. all these rather monotone 'tidy' players. No drive and power and authority about them. Very decent players for sure, and good luck to them. But I cannot see that comparison with a young Keano.
I agree having just watched some YouTube clips of both players at the same age (lol) Im in my 30s and remember Keane was crazy competitive and fiery and got goals and assists as well as being a great tackler. Rice is strong, calm, a good ball winner with a nice quick pass to switch play but the next Roy Keane? Keane is a once in a lifetime type player. A total leader on the pitch with a great all round skill set. Edit it also has to be said young Keane was a total thug off the pitch. He’d have been eaten alive today with social media etc. He’d be regarded as a problem player. Rice is more like a young Carrick. Would he fit in here? I have no idea.

Last edited:

Withnail

How will he be less expensive now than in the summer?
Well if he keeps performing like this and has some international caps under his belt, along with interest from other clubs I'd say his price tag would increase. (Lots of ifs there I know)

Although I do think it's unlikely United sign anyone this window given we don't know who the manager will be for next season.

I don't think it would be prudent to bring in a player he may not fancy.

Ekeke

Watching him at the weekend he reminded me a bit of Carrick with his defending. Staying on his feet and not being overly aggressive, just getting his foot in.

On the ball he obviously didnt have anywhere near the range of Carrick with his passing. Was still okay but not noteworthy.

Robbie Boy

Really? Seems as though there are moves for it to happen with Ireland. I hope he declares for England as we could do with a holding midfielder. But like others I think he has been a bit overrated due to the international tussle.
Yup I’m getting the impression that he’ll declare for Ireland alright. I do find him very, very overrated due to the international tug of war that’s gotten him extra exposure. The same thing happened with Grealish and he’s not exactly pulling up any trees in the Championship.

Tbf we (Ireland) need any PL standard players we can get and I hope he does declare for us. However, he’s young and I feel it really could go either way for him. Some of the hyperbole so far has been insane.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
At Rice's age Keane was just finishing a 10 goal season. Rice barely has that many shots. The resemblance isn't uncanny at all, it could barely be further apart.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
At Rice's age Keane was just finishing a 10 goal season. Rice barely has that many shots. The resemblance isn't uncanny at all, it could barely be further apart.
It's a strange comparison. Keane was a box to box midfielder, Rice looks to be either a very composed centre back or a very solid defensive midfielder. I do really like the look of him though and would be excited if we were linked.

Devil may care

I don't give a shit which National side he plays for, he looks a good pure DM, the kind that would require us to alter the make-up of our midfield and add an extra creative #8 into the mix, the fact he also just signed a stupidly long contract will also rule him out for the foreseeable future IMO.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Well if he keeps performing like this and has some international caps under his belt, along with interest from other clubs I'd say his price tag would increase. (Lots of ifs there I know)

Although I do think it's unlikely United sign anyone this window given we don't know who the manager will be for next season.

I don't think it would be prudent to bring in a player he may not fancy.
Don't think international caps unless he plays for England will increase his value and even then I doubt it. West Ham have no reason to sell and he has just signed a 5 year deal. He will cost a bomb but that won't change much from now and the summer.

POF

Think he will still be at West Ham but that will be because they will massively overprice him and have no reason to sell.

Honestly he may feel both Irish and English or not fussed. Either way he may have just not fancied playing for O’Neill and Keane.
I hear that a lot. The strange thing is, if there's one former player for Rice to learn from that could really benefit him, it's Keane.

Kostov

We should have persuaded him on a free to be honest. A good team is built on shrewd business and we missed a trick with this guy I think. Take a look at Juve for example, they are the masters of that.

Withnail

I hear that a lot. The strange thing is, if there's one former player for Rice to learn from that could really benefit him, it's Keane.
I can see why that would seem to be the case.

However, Keane doesn't seem to have done a huge amount of coaching as part of the Ireland set up according to the stories which came out of the camp.

Judging by the performances of the Irish team there wasn't a notable improvement in any of the midfielders while he was part of the setup.

An absolutely phenomenal player though he was, he doesn't seem to be able to impart that knowledge in any meaningful way and seems to get frustrated by players who he deems not up to his standards.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

I’m talking about the Keane I saw playing for Cobh Ramblers and Notts Forest.I’m referring to his midfield excellence, choosing the right pass, not losing possession etc etc.Rice is also an excellent tackler.

Champagne Football

Yup I’m getting the impression that he’ll declare for Ireland alright. I do find him very, very overrated due to the international tug of war that’s gotten him extra exposure. The same thing happened with Grealish and he’s not exactly pulling up any trees in the Championship.

Tbf we (Ireland) need any PL standard players we can get and I hope he does declare for us. However, he’s young and I feel it really could go either way for him. Some of the hyperbole so far has been insane.
The Times are hinting he is choosing England.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ecision-is-due-within-next-ten-days-r6phwf00r
'All the indications, however, suggest that Rice has played his last game for Ireland.'

Aloysius's Back 3

I see that this guy has had some history playing or covering at CB - is this true? Can this lad play the role Dier did in a back three where he plays a midfield pivot inbetween 2 CB's?

Does

Lindelof - Rice - De ligt

have the potential to work?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He is considerably better in midfield from what I have seen.

robinvpersie

Should be signed in summer as Matic replacement imo, he was quality against arsenal a few weeks ago. I can see a bidding war for him come June between the top teams.. I say we spend whatever it takes and he will be in our 1st Team for the next 10+ years. Would remind me of an old school united signing, when we would buy the best young players and they would be in the team for years (Rooney, DeGea etc.). Rice, Shaw, Pogba, Martial, Rashford. They could all be starters here for the next 10 years

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He was very impressive when City played West Ham recently in spite of the fact the rest of their team didn't turn up. He's one the few young British players in recent years whose 'hype' actually seems to be anchored in reality.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
He was very impressive when City played West Ham recently in spite of the fact the rest of their team didn't turn up. He's one the few young British players in recent years whose 'hype' actually seems to be anchored in reality.
Ahem. Not yet.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Didn't he sign a new contract recently? You'd probably be looking at £80m+ to pry him from West Ham right now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He's the real deal, looks a real talent. Would quite happily have him as a future replacement for Matic.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be a great signing as depth for now and to take over for Matic, especially because he can cover/replace for Herrera, Matic and fill in at the back too. Seems like a no brainer, fits the young and british profile but looking very good already too. Might be tough to get him though and will for sure cost a good amount, but its the perfect time to go for him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Great game tonight, can build the team around him at West Ham if they fancy it. Pellegrini is a good fit for them.

Frank Grimes

We need him in the United team, and Ireland team but especially United. Whoever gets him from WH will be getting a player. Said in another thread that he is the one PL player I'd take if I had the choice, superb talent.