Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cman

West Ham planting stories now I see. Wheels are in motion. Think he might be here in the summer.
This. I said weeks ago that this transfer would get legs. Not from us or the players camp but from West Ham.
Selling for £40 or there abouts plus Lingard would be awesome business from their point of view.
I expect a lot more headlines in the coming weeks and months. West Ham will state publicly that they don’t want to sell to save face in front of their fans but then will come the same old story- if the player wants to go and the price is right.....

NYAS

I know but if Fernandinho leaves or retires or gets injured then who replaces him in the squad?

City have like 6 top class CB'S in the squad and 6 top class forward/wingers competing with each other on the first 11 or bench - can they rely on just Rodri as their pure CDM if Fernandinho's disappears from their ability to use him?

Again, I'd personally say that we are more likely to get Rice than City are - but just that Rice to City does make sense to me.
Without the Lingard card, he’s going to cost way more than City would pay for one player as a squad option. Like how they “couldn’t afford Maguire”.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Would be a very City thing to do to purchase Rice to be a back up for Rodri. Two world class players in every position.

But, that story to me looks more like an agent/WHU plant to create a market. Chelsea seem to have rediscovered that Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho works really well. PSG's midfield is sorted. Spain and Italy are skint.

If it were different times, I acutally think him going to Liverpool would make a lot of sense - Klopp loves a hard-working, diligent central mid. Imagine the solidity of Henderson, Fabinho and Rice! But they have other needs too.

He would be a huge upgrade on Fred. I don't even count Matic anymore as he's that done.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Bring him home to play with his best friend. After a striker (top priority) a physical dm would be a good place to go.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do West Ham look like they miss him or is it just a coincidence that their results are not as good?

Im genuinely asking as I've not watched them but noticed their results go down hill a bit since his injury.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Do West Ham look like they miss him or is it just a coincidence that their results are not as good?

Im genuinely asking as I've not watched them but noticed their results go down hill a bit since his injury.
They absolutely miss him, although with Noble also out they literally have no solid CDM cover.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Pretty sure they had some big wins without him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of course they miss him, he's their best player.

For context, here's a thread from a West Ham forum asking if they'd take 80m for Rice knowing it would be invested back into the team.

https://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=180295

The overwhelming majority of respondents say no, because to their team he's irreplaceable. The hearbeat on and off the pitch according to one poster. So obviously if he's out at a crucial point of the season for them then it's gonna have an impact.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

For context, here's a thread from a West Ham forum asking if they'd take 80m for Rice knowing it would be invested back into the team.

The overwhelming majority of respondents say no, because to their team he's irreplaceable. The hearbeat on and off the pitch according to one poster. So obviously if he's out at a crucial point of the season for them then it's gonna have an impact.
West Ham fans have always drastically overrated their players. Half of their squad should be in the England set up.

theklr

Well at least they wont get CL now so the temptation for Rice will be abit bigger. He recently said he has always dreamt (as everyone) to play in it.

Bwuk

Let’s be honest - they are probably right.

Look at how Spurs spent the Bale money. Having 80m doesn’t guarantee they’ll be able to improve the side without Rice.

DiMaria

I have a good feeling about this one. Let’s hope we bait then with Jesse because we might not be the only team after him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think this is the thread I'm gonna set up camp in for the summer, with Pogba now moving into the front 3 and Matic literally on his last legs we're left with only McFred as our midfield options so a CM is a must and Rice seems the obvious one

croadyman

Can see just how much they have missed him in those games against Chelsea & Everton

bosskeano

if West Ham miss out on CL qualification, that will really hurt their chances of keeping him this summer. He's gathered so much praise and talk about will he stay or will he leave as they've been battling for top 4 since the turn of the new year.

I can't see him staying if they miss out. I'm still not convinced he would be a good addition to the squad and is an upgrade on either Fred or Scott.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
A DM and CB in one.
I do expect us to go for this CB/CDM type player - you regulalry see Matic dropping in between the CB's. It also provides some depth.

If we want a more tough ball winning type of player then I can see Ole looking at Rice.

Koopmeiners is another one who is also left footed.but a more deeper passer cdm type (which might cover Ole's potential need for a left footed CB)

croadyman

I do expect us to go for this CB/CDM type player - you regulalry see Matic dropping in between the CB's. It also provides some depth.

If we want a more tough ball winning type of player then I can see Ole looking at Rice.

Koopmeiners is another one who is also left footed.but a more deeper passer cdm type (which might cover Ole's potential need for a left footed CB)
Yeah hard to see how we can afford both a CB & CDM if we did go for Jadon in the summer

croadyman

Yeah guess so, DDG, Mata and Matic also would need to go at least
Fully expecting talk of a CDM to pick up IF Matic does reunite with Jose at Roma whether that's Declan or someone who hasn't even been considered by the media at all

Raveneye

I wonder if Matic could teach Declan Rice a few things. Doubt it would be as complete as Cavani and Greenwood, but having an over the hill but one of the best DMs in the game in his day showing Declan the way forward has me salivating.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I wonder if Matic could teach Declan Rice a few things. Doubt it would be as complete as Cavani and Greenwood, but having an over the hill but one of the best DMs in the game in his day showing Declan the way forward has me salivating.
You are making it sounds like Rice is still a teenager. He has matured enough in his game and already show a better leadership than Matic. The guy is vice captain of the club and technically their regular week in week out captain since Noble barely even start this season. On the current level, Rice is better than Matic. If I want to see teaching in training, I would rather Rice takes a lesson from Carrick.

Greenwood & Cavani situation is different. Greenwood is still inexperienced while Cavani still got it. On the current level, Cavani is still better player than Greenwood.

Raveneye

You are making it sounds like Rice is still a teenager. He has matured enough in his game and already show a better leadership than Matic. The guy is vice captain of the club and technically their regular week in week out captain since Noble barely even start this season. On the current level, Rice is better than Matic. If I want to see teaching in training, I would rather Rice takes a lesson from Carrick.

Greenwood & Cavani situation is different. Greenwood is still inexperienced while Cavani still got it. On the current level, Cavani is still better player than Greenwood.
It's not just a matter of who is the better player. You think if Greenwood became a better striker than Cavani next season he'd stop devouring his teaching?

I get that Rice is more matured and qualified my statement by saying I doubt it would be as complete as Cavani and Greenwood. But he's still growing his game. I doubt Matic has nothing to teach him. And I have no doubt Carrick can teach Rice plenty too.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's not just a matter of who is the better player. You think if Greenwood became a better striker than Cavani next season he'd stop devouring his teaching?

I get that Rice is more matured and qualified my statement by saying I doubt it would be as complete as Cavani and Greenwood. But he's still growing his game. I doubt Matic has nothing to teach him. And I have no doubt Carrick can teach Rice plenty too.
The point is not about being better but it's about Cavani still got it to be mentor on the pitch while Matic's leg has gone to do what Cavani does to Greenwood. If you want teaching off the pitch then why not Carrick? Carrick is just better option than Matic for that. No striker in the club like Cavani at the moment to be Greenwood's mentor, while we have better one in midfield than Matic, that is Carrick.

Raveneye

The point is not about being better but it's about Cavani still got it to be mentor on the pitch while Matic's leg has gone to do what Cavani does to Greenwood. If you want teaching off the pitch then why not Carrick? Carrick is just better option than Matic for that. No striker in the club like Cavani at the moment to be Greenwood's mentor, while we have better one in midfield than Matic, that is Carrick.
I disagree with this premise. Matic and Rice would probably never play at the same time. On-the-pitch coaching certainly helps, but most of the benefit is going to come from the training ground every day.

On a different note, another reason I really want a DM this summer, ideally Rice, is that it would be a force multiplier. You get another defender to partner Harry Maguire and solve the weaknesses there? Fine, good. Love having a reliable backline. But a DM also means we're not utterly reliant on Pogba and Fernandes both being fit to be a dominant side. Both Fred and and McTominay are box to box midfielders who hold themselves back to play the double pivot that neither are great at. But with Rice, even if Pogba is injured you can have McTominay bomb forward freely to carry the ball and make himself a threat at the edge of the box. You can have Fred bring his energy and work rate more often into the attacking half. Declan Rice makes us more resilient as an attacking force.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I disagree with this premise. Matic and Rice would probably never play at the same time. On-the-pitch coaching certainly helps, but most of the benefit is going to come from the training ground every day.
Again, if you want teaching from training ground then why not Carrick? Carrick is just better option than Matic for that. There is just no comparison for Matic & Rice case with Cavani & Greenwood case.

theklr

What Matic did in the first half yesterday is how I envision Rice could be in full 90 mins for us.

I am probably horribly wrong though.

hubbuh

Rice and Sancho feels like the two most obvious signings we could make this summer. Is Sancho for £85m and Rice for £55m + Lingard too ambitious?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
What Matic did in the first half yesterday is how I envision Rice could be in full 90 mins for us.

I am probably horribly wrong though.
Is that his game? I ain’t seen much of Rice. Can Rice dribble his way out of trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.