Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Football has moved on from the Carrick type of DMs. Carrick had a couple of good seasons but was never world class to be honest. He had a nice penetrating pass and was good at cutting of the lines. When defending but he wasn’t all that some people are making him out to be.

We need a high energy DM that needs to do 3 things clean up, protect our defence and just pass the ball to either Pogba or Bruno. Thats the way forward for this team high energy/runner in the DM position.
Italy just won the Euros with a Carrick type DM.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Football has moved on from the Carrick type of DMs. Carrick had a couple of good seasons but was never world class to be honest. He had a nice penetrating pass and was good at cutting of the lines. When defending but he wasn’t all that some people are making him out to be.

We need a high energy DM that needs to do 3 things clean up, protect our defence and just pass the ball to either Pogba or Bruno. Thats the way forward for this team high energy/runner in the DM position.
Football has moved on from good DMs? A high energy pressing DM, for a start, is more likely to move out of position. And positional awareness is the most important trait of a DM.

You are talking nonsense.

The United

Football has moved on from good DMs? A high energy pressing DM, for a start, is more likely to move out of position. And positional awareness is the most important trait of a DM.

You are talking nonsense.
You only had to remember how Ander Herrera seemed to suit a high energy DM type yet due to lack of positional disciplined, he was never reliable for us in that role.

Tarrou

this must be one of the longest transfer threads for a player we're not realistically even going for

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You only had to remember how Ander Herrera seemed to suit a high energy DM type yet due to lack of positional disciplined, he was never reliable for us in that role.
Very good point. People who cite this argument about high energy DMs usually fall back on the Leane and Kante examples without acknowledging that Keane was a b2b in a midfield two for most of his career, and Kante is infinitely better as an 8 than 6. Those DMs that have really excelled over the last decade or more are the playmaker type or position ally aware players, Pirlo, Busquets, Carrick, Alonso, Scholes later on his careeer, all fall into the first category, then you have the likes of Casameiro and Fernandinho for the latter. Even the new generation like De Jong and Rodri are positionally aware playmakers.

I’m guessing the poster is referring to the likes of Ndidi, is all I can imagine, who is at least a tier below the top level of DM needed for a club like this. Even Fabinho, who is athletic, his best quality is his positional sense and timing, not his athleticism.

Point is, if Carrick was in his prime and available now, he’d be bloody perfect for this team.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Before Euro: Priced at 80-90m. Perhaps 60-70m would be acceptable price for him? Maybe would even go as high as Lingard + 50-60m if that’s what it takes?

After Euro: Won’t go anywhere near 40m, and probably it’s best we won’t go for him at all.

zenith

184 pages on this thread and for what.

I don't think there has been any credible link or journo who has suggested that we have a concrete interest in him. Nothing at all.

For me, he's a minor upgrade on Mctominay with better defensive awareness but much less of a goal threat.

We can all agree that we should be looking at a better DM than rice. Though it's tough to say who else it out there that is available.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It’s mad that people who don’t rate him and hate him are not dropping him from the “how England should line up tactical formations” but also obsessed talking about him so much that they are in the top 3 posters of this thread.

It’s mad that people who don’t rate him and hate him are not dropping him from the “how England should line up tactical formations” but also obsessed talking about him so much that they are in the top 3 posters of this thread.
I don’t hate him.

I don’t rate him and he’d be the first name I’d drop from this defensive as feck England set up that had neutrals all over Europe desperate for Italy to win that final.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Oh yeah, cause at West Ham he suddenly turns into Modric on the ball.
Kin ell.
:lol:

If we sign him we'll face the same issues that England do and people will bemoan the lack of class in central midfield. If we want a destroyer who has little ability on the ball I'm sure we can figure out an option for under 40 million.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Very good point. People who cite this argument about high energy DMs usually fall back on the Leane and Kante examples without acknowledging that Keane was a b2b in a midfield two for most of his career, and Kante is infinitely better as an 8 than 6. Those DMs that have really excelled over the last decade or more are the playmaker type or position ally aware players, Pirlo, Busquets, Carrick, Alonso, Scholes later on his careeer, all fall into the first category, then you have the likes of Casameiro and Fernandinho for the latter. Even the new generation like De Jong and Rodri are positionally aware playmakers.

I’m guessing the poster is referring to the likes of Ndidi, is all I can imagine, who is at least a tier below the top level of DM needed for a club like this. Even Fabinho, who is athletic, his best quality is his positional sense and timing, not his athleticism.

Point is, if Carrick was in his prime and available now, he’d be bloody perfect for this team.
I agree that those are the two most important qualities we should be looking for though athleticism might also be important considering the league we play in.(could be a reason DVB has had such a tough time early on)

He's no Modric but defo miles ahead of McTominay and Fred.
He’s not “miles ahead of Fred” at all. He’s a limited as feck destroyer that sits in front of the back four, doesn’t have a pass on him, no vision and no capability to dictate a game.
He’s good at what he does, which is perfect for West Ham and was useful for Southgate’s wank tactics.

hobbers

Weird that he gets plaudits for a performance against a team that almost had 70% possession over 120 minutes of football :lol:

hmchan

He’s not “miles ahead of Fred” at all. He’s a limited as feck destroyer that sits in front of the back four, doesn’t have a pass on him, no vision and no capability to dictate a game.
He’s good at what he does, which is perfect for West Ham and was useful for Southgate’s wank tactics.
A limited as feck destroyer who can take on several opponents and dribble into the final third on his own.

I live in a foreign country, one that due to their love of the PL tends to always adopt England as a second team in tournaments once they go out.
This time though I can tell you that 90% of the people I spoke to desperately wanted an Italy win, due to England’s negative tactics and defensive players.

That some fans have watched this tournament and thought “I want me some of that at United” is just incredible.

CG1010

I live in a foreign country, one that due to their love of the PL tends to always adopt England as a second team in tournaments once they go out.
This time though I can tell you that 90% of the people I spoke to desperately wanted an Italy win, due to England’s negative tactics and defensive players.

That some fans have watched this tournament and thought “I want me some of that at United” is just incredible.
This.

CG1010

Getting Declan Rice would be such a LVG signing. Buying at high prices, average players who do not fit the profile of player needed and aren't that much more effective at the end of the day for the team.

Did rice feck your sister?
Would be impossible due to not having one.

Just reminds me so much of the clamber for Fellaini on here years back, cause he was always “a winner” with the right attitude.

Time we stop buying technically limited footballers. Rice has particularly pissed me off due to being a big part of the reason no neutral wanted an England win this tournament. He’s a negative footballer, suited for negative as feck tactics. His best game by far was the final, with 30% possession.

hmchan

The negativity of a national team is somehow related to the attribute of an individual player. Great judgement. I bet you wouldn't want Kane either as he's a defensive player?

hmchan

Comes into the thread saying people haven’t watched Rice at WHU or don’t know what a DM is. Then spouts this garbage.
Rice has his strengths, progressing the ball aint one of them.
Like I said in the Moyes thread, I watch over 90% of West Ham games in recent seasons. If you have watched enough of their games, you'd know most of Rice's so-called "Fellaini-like" runs turn into a shot or at least a key pass.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People act like Rice only had a good performance whilst possession was low - Rice was good when England was dominating Italy - not when Italy was dominating England.

Italy couldn’t get their foot on the game until Mancini tactically increased the midfield by playing a false 9. They only had a bit extra of the ball after about 30 mins in to the first half because England as a team tactically stopped attacking due to their 1-0 lead & this was seen by everyone from the fullbacks and even Kane that was playing as deep as his own half.

Italy ended the match with 70% possession at the end of the match - it wasn’t like that through the whole match especially the first half when England dominated italy but gave the ball to italy at the end because they couldn’t penetrate them.

The same thing happened - italy couldn’t penetrate England but scored from a set play. 2 goals let in by England this tournament and both from set plays.

Kostov

Would be impossible due to not having one.

Just reminds me so much of the clamber for Fellaini on here years back, cause he was always “a winner” with the right attitude.

Time we stop buying technically limited footballers. Rice has particularly pissed me off due to being a big part of the reason no neutral wanted an England win this tournament. He’s a negative footballer, suited for negative as feck tactics. His best game by far was the final, with 30% possession.
Don't get me wrong I'd rather we find a cultured CM like Carrick or Busquets but Rice can have his uses and I do feel that your seem to underrate his quality. And regarding the neutrals and England come the feck on :lol:

Neutrals are always against England for many different reasons, which is laughable imo. It's strange but people disliked England and wanted them to fail with midfielders like Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard too. Rice is a CDM who yes I agree is suited for a more defensive set up, but as I already said, I think he can work in a midfield trio with Pogba and Bruno.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People act like Rice only had a good performance whilst possession was low - Rice was good when England was dominating Italy - not when Italy was dominating England.

Italy couldn’t get their foot on the game until Mancini tactically increased the midfield by playing a false 9. They only had a bit extra of the ball after about 30 mins in to the first half because England as a team tactically stopped attacking due to their 1-0 lead & this was seen by everyone from the fullbacks and even Kane that was playing as deep as his own half.

Italy ended the match with 70% possession at the end of the match - it wasn’t like that through the whole match especially the first half when England dominated italy but gave the ball to italy at the end because they couldn’t penetrate them.

The same thing happened - italy couldn’t penetrate England but scored from a set play. 2 goals let in by England this tournament and both from set plays.
England scored in the 3rd minute and proceeded to sit back in a tight formation after that - that's why he looked better than his other previous matches.

To say England were dominating Italy is just completely made up. We had probably a 15 minute period of being competitive until we decided to sit back and frustrate.

Rice is not the player we need. If we want to play like West Ham then great, but Ole doesn't want that for our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.