Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloyd2wayne

No, actually I'm not saying that. I'd hope we could find someone like Rice for a much cheaper price. Traditionally, we have always been good at finding gems every now and again. However, we have to be careful because there's players out there playing in foreign leagues who are nowhere near as good as people make out. With Rice, we'd be purchasing a player who knows the EPL.

I don't think there's any point respoding to your last sentence.
I get it but Rice isn’t also a guaranteed success just because he plays in the premier league. We bought the most expensive defender from the premier league and still fans don’t rate him that high.

I love his defensive side of the game and I’m sure he will improve. Anyways let’s see how he does in the future and if he improves his game especially the ball playing side of it then I’m all for the transfer.

marktan

Was watching some game highlights from 09/10, one thing our midfield had was a lot of good long balls with Carrick and Scholes. I think Rice is a good player, but he is he £80m good? Carrick was a better player, would anyone really have rated him as a £100m player?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He’s a massive upgrade on what we have and should absolutely be our priority. 75m is the new 35m. Our midfield is completely dysfunctional. With potentially Pogba and Matic leaving in the summer, we’ll need two replacements and they should both be true CMs. Pogba is half a CM half a forward. I love the player but you have to pick one of him and Bruno. I don’t see you can invest so much in wages in a luxury player like PP.

Dream scenario is to get Haaland but we absolutely cannot afford to do so at the expense of not getting a top class number 6.

I like VdB but the manager clearly isn’t convinced. So if we can clear out Martial, Pogba, Matic and VdB in the summer and bring in Rice and Bissouma, integrate Hannibal and Diallo into true first team rotation, I think we’d have a much better squad for it.

We’ll likely need a striker unfortunately as I expect Cavani and Mata to leave too. I don’t know if the budget stretches to Haaland, but if it does we’ll have the wage capacity to handle it.
See, I don't understand how Rice is our answer if our midfield is completely dysfunctional. Rice compliments a dynamic or creative type midfielder and everyone is saying Pogba isn't a midfielder, Fred's pony and Scott is average. So I feel like if you buy Rice, you're still going to have to buy someone to play next to him to make our midfield work. I would hope in the future that could be Mejbri, but we're no where near that yet.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Rice compliments a dynamic or creative type midfielder and everyone is saying Pogba isn't a midfielder, Fred's pony and Scott is average.
Well, if you buy a dynamic or creative type, you still need a player like Rice if that is true.

And in my opinion, all of our midfielders, whether good enough or not, would look better next to a DM than a dynamic/creative type. That also include Mejbri and Garner.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We'll be fools if we pay anything over 30-50m for this guy, I'll rather we spent that much on Casimero, who is a far better player and Madrid might be ready to let him go next season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why do people like these midfielders who go into hiding when things get right in midfield? Him and Scotty McT would probably average 20 passes between them in away games against fellow big 6 clubs.
That’s not true, at least not for rice. Do you even watch him? I’ve seen him in big games for WH against top 6 sides and he has far from hidden.I don’t know where this myth comes from

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Well, if you buy a dynamic or creative type, you still need a player like Rice if that is true.

And in my opinion, all of our midfielders, whether good enough or not, would look better next to a DM than a dynamic/creative type. That also include Mejbri and Garner.
Yeah, I agree they would. I'm not sure though that would make a title winning midfield with Fred or Scott. I feel like we'd be looking to replace them if we by Rice, so his price is extremely prohibitive for me.

golden_blunder

Staff
We'll be fools if we pay anything over 30-50m for this guy, I'll rather we spent that much on Casimero, who is a far better player and Madrid might be ready to let him go next season.
I dunno what era you live in but 30m doesn’t buy you a backup fullback so how your price range is going to buy you one of best young midfielders in the country, captain of a top half PL side and England regular?

golden_blunder

Staff
I just wish people were realistic in their valuations etc in this thread. I’m embarrassed for some of them. You aren’t getting rice for less than 60m. I have to question if some of them even watch the matches or stick to reading other opinions on forums which then becomes their opinion

Abraxas

The transfer is totally different in nature. You're talking about signing a guy that will be 30 and has never played in a premier league midfield.

If the club are willing to pay a premium for Rice (but perhaps not West Ham's particular premium) it is clear they're looking at more than just current ability at all costs which is an approach that may see them land on somebody like Casimero. They like the overall upside of the signing which makes a lot of sense because it's a long standing problem, they don't want to be in the same boat when a 30 year olds legs go. Pay a lot now but benefit for years to come.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I dunno what era you live in but 30m doesn’t buy you a backup fullback so how your price range is going to buy you one of best young midfielders in the country, captain of a top half PL side and England regular?
Maybe we need to stop buying overrated English players then, look at the English players we've signed recently everyone of them has a question mark hovering over their head.

If 30m can't get you a very good DM from the EPL then look elsewhere, Seria A and Italy seems to be producing a lot of good DM's lately, the Portuguese national team has a few, that can come in and perform.

Sign Rice now the next thing we'll hear is we need to sign Philips to balance things.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Maybe we need to stop buying overrated English players then, look at the English players we've signed recently everyone of them has a question mark hovering over their head.

If 30m can't get you a very good DM from the EPL then look elsewhere, Seria A and Italy seems to be producing a lot of good DM's lately, the Portuguese national team has a few, that can come in and perform.

Sign Rice now the next thing we'll hear is we need to sign Philips to balance things.
And what the overrated French players like Pogba, Brazilians like Fred did us well? VDB? The redcafe pre transfer favourites like ndombele and partey?

Just purely assessing him due to his nationality and you playing video games.

It's funny how you say go for Casemiro but don't go for Rice like they are so god damn different.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff

Question mark over the English players? Maybe in your mind.
Maguire is in poor form at the start of the season, not surprised given he’s hardly had a rest since the internationals during the summer.. in which he was fantastic btw. Aside from patches overall he’s been a superb cb for us

AWB? Getting better offensively as his stats show. Yes he could be upgraded as city showed with cancelo but at what cost. However I will give you this one for now

Sancho? Played what, 4-5 games?

what other English buys are you referring to?

nationality shouldn’t come into the discussion unless we have to meet PL or European quota.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
See, I don't understand how Rice is our answer if our midfield is completely dysfunctional. Rice compliments a dynamic or creative type midfielder and everyone is saying Pogba isn't a midfielder, Fred's pony and Scott is average. So I feel like if you buy Rice, you're still going to have to buy someone to play next to him to make our midfield work. I would hope in the future that could be Mejbri, but we're no where near that yet.
Pogba isn’t the answer, years of that has proven true. I agree we need two midfielders which is why I suggested Bissouma but also McTominay is a good 8. Not a great 8 but good. Rice and McTominay would be a strong combative midfield. McTominay is best when he can drive forward and Rice has made more forward passes to the final third this season than any midfielder in the PL

jesperjaap

Was watching some game highlights from 09/10, one thing our midfield had was a lot of good long balls with Carrick and Scholes. I think Rice is a good player, but he is he £80m good? Carrick was a better player, would anyone really have rated him as a £100m player?
He is for a start a totally different type of player, I dont understand these comparisons.....Keane was a much better player than Carrick, does that mean Carrick wasnt a success then?

Rice isnt an £80m player but he will be costly as he is West Hams captain and young. Is he the definitive answer, maybe not. In my opinion we need two cm and it isnt about gettign tha balance and someone to compliment him.....its simply our options are so poor, some may move liek Pogba, some should be moved on too

jesperjaap

Why are people so obsessed with the baland or a creative type, we already have one in Pogba who is at times one of the best and he hasnt worked there. And as for saying Rice compliments a dynamic or creative type......is Souchek that? Not at all for me, he is just a good all round, hard working and aware central midfielder and Rice compliments him very well.

I think whoever we buy we need to buy a second central midfielder anyway. Pogba may leave, VDB may leave, Maticv will be anoter year older, Fred and McTominay are essentially for me squad players. Mjebri may well be the answer buy nowhere near yet, how do you know that.....because of his age, he hasnt played more than 10mins and he looked good?

JustinC00

Fred, Matic and McTominay would be crucified if they were him on brentford's winner.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would be insane to buy him for anything over £60m. He's a good player, while he has age on his side, he is not world class and not sure he has the attributes to be one. Buying him for the fee West Ham will want for him will place enormous amount of pressure on him to deliver, which is not easy for a DM. Just feel he will fall into the Maguire category

RedRover

He'd be worth a fortune now, because he can hold and pass. The game was different than and for me, he was a player probably slightly ahead of his time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Why are people so obsessed with the baland or a creative type, we already have one in Pogba who is at times one of the best and he hasnt worked there. And as for saying Rice compliments a dynamic or creative type......is Souchek that? Not at all for me, he is just a good all round, hard working and aware central midfielder and Rice compliments him very well.

I think whoever we buy we need to buy a second central midfielder anyway. Pogba may leave, VDB may leave, Maticv will be anoter year older, Fred and McTominay are essentially for me squad players. Mjebri may well be the answer buy nowhere near yet, how do you know that.....because of his age, he hasnt played more than 10mins and he looked good?
Is the West Ham midfield what we should be aspiring create here? Not for me, I would expect a way better partner than Soucek for Rice if he was here.

Pogba is clearly only good as part of a 3 and doesn't provide us with enough stability as part of a 2. Because of Bruno being more important, we have have to shoe horn him into the LW role.

I think Pogba is gone as well, so we will have to be buying 2 midfielders. If we could get Tielemans on a free, maybe we could stretch to Rice + a forward, but still think his price will be too prohibitive.

We're also on the same page about Mejbri, not sure if that didn't come across in my first post.

Bebestation

Nice header today from the corner that actually helped assist the goal.

He isn't bad at heading/set pieces it seems.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Let' be honest Bebestation he could insult your mother and you'd say it's a good one.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Was that ever a criticism levelled at him? He was a CB for pretty much all youth levels, so I would hope he would be.

Bebestation

Let' be honest Bebestation he could insult your mother and you'd say it's a good one.
Yeah but to be fair he seems like he insulted you because your always here for a player you don't really rate :angel:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
How much would you pay for him @golden_blunder and if we have 75m to spend on and Pogba, Cavani leave how would you allocate the budget?
We are not good at selling players, but hopefully we can sell quite a few of the players below;

- Henderson,
- Donny,
- Martial,
- Williams,
- Dalot,
- Bailly or Tuanzebe
- Chong
- Bernard

Should raise somewhere between £50 and £100 mill. Add to that big salaries for some of those players, and even bigger for Pogba, Cavani and maybe Lingard. So, if we can spend between £75-100 mill net, we should be able to spend £150 mill on players next summer. Enough for a striker and Rice.

Devil’s Trident

Okay, I wasn’t convinced by him but after regularly watching him for over a year and half he changed my opinion. People can argue that he is not good enough but u can’t deny his application his leadership his discipline in midfield. I think people saw him for England under Southgate in the Euros and made up their mind that he is a limited player. I tell you he is not a limited player at all if u saw him for West Ham last season regularly. He is very good on the ball first and foremost, he switches up the play often infact I have seen him doing it with both feet, he can drive from midfield, he can play a through ball every now and then, he can shoot and this season he is getting better and better and adding goals to his collection.

But above all what I like the most in him is his presence. There is a certain persona about him in midfield the way he plays, never shies away either from a challenge or taking a responsibility with or without the ball and this should be one of the top most priority for a utd midfielder right now apart from other qualities. The guy just oozes confidence. I have seen posters mentioning Ndidi, tchouameni etc but none of them has this commanding presence about them. They might be abit better in some things than Rice but none of them can impose themselves which he can. I could see them sign for us and be timid but not Rice.

You see the difference between defenders like Vandijk, Thiago silva and defenders like Varane ?(not counting trophy haul). There is not much difference in their defending abilities but there are other differences like their presence, organisation ability, calmness, commanding ability etc which elevates them abit more. Yeah that’s what I see with Rice and other DM’s. And he is just 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.