Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's be utterly lost in a progressive system like RRs.

CSMUFC90

I have been impressed with rice, but I agree with who ever said he’d end up being like maguire I can see it, completely different pressure playing for west ham compared to us (see lingard) and for the price they’ll want I’d rather us go elsewhere, we never seem to find the next Kante, NDidi, bissoumas etc or the unknown player that makes it and I’m hoping that changes with ralf.

Mainoldo

But even if that's the case and the new manager shares those ideals, what makes you think he won't like Rice specifically. Being a fan or not of Rice is an opinion, not a point of principle. The new manager could share the same ideals and very well believe that Rice can fit well with them.

People are pre-supposing way too much here. That Rangnick won't like Rice or won't think he's a player he can mould to be an integral part of his desired system. That Rangnick will play a pivotal role in future recruitment and might become a sort of CEO/Technical Director. That the next manager will share the same ideals as Rangnick. That if the next manager shares those ideals, he will also share the same (presumably negative) opinion about Rice.

I mean we all have an opinion and that's fine but there's way too much presupposition for my personal liking going on here. I expect Rangnick's opinion on Rice, whatever that is, will only be only one factor among many others when it comes down to whether we go for him or not. And we don't even know what his opinion is.
Preach brother. Preach. People getting way too carried away as usual.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've been hearing alot about how English players are overrated because they are overpriced :

Then I looked at the list -
  1. Neymar at the top, great player but wonder if a 222million transfer has turned out worth it for PSG.
  2. Then Mbappe at 180 mil to psg already contemplating to leave apparently I heard maybe even on a free.
  3. Then Jaoa Felix costing 125 mil euros. Far from setting the world alight.
  4. Next is Coutinho to Barcelona at 120 + 40 mil. Yikes.
  5. Then Greizmann at 120 mil. Not the best couple transfers to Barcelona is it?
  6. Then Grealish who is in his first 3 months of at City for 117 euros; may stay the same at some slow form or get better
  7. Then Lukaku for 115. My word we know exactly what he is and isn't.
  8. Then Ousammane dembele - 145mil with add ons. Some questionable stuff
  9. Paul pogba then at 105mil euros and the guy has been a dissapointment for 95% UTD fans + going to steal us by leaving on a free.
  10. Then Gareth Bale to Madrid - to some that turned out well, atleast won them CLs even if the Madrid fans are a bit more tough with their love.
  11. Ronaldo to Juventus 100 mil - a great number by a legend but probably helped his status more than any of Juventus's
  12. Eden hazard is nowhere to be seen and apparently fat for Madrid.

That's all transfers before Ronaldo initial move to Madrid from United which achieved legendary success.

I don't really see how English players are overpriced/overrated (not worth 100mil) when so many players (especially foreign) over 100mil have been a questionable dissapointment.

Last edited:

Hammondo

I've been hearing alot about how English players are overrated because they are overpriced :

Then I looked at the list -
  1. Neymar at the top, great player but wonder if a 222million transfer has turned out worth it for PSG.
  2. Then Mbappe at 180 mil to psg already contemplating to leave apparently I heard maybe even on a free.
  3. Then Jaoa Felix costing 125 mil euros. Far from setting the world alight.
  4. Next is Coutinho to Barcelona at 120 + 40 mil. Yikes.
  5. Then Greizmann at 120 mil. Not the best couple transfers to Barcelona is it?
  6. Then Grealish who is in his first 3 months of at City for 117 euros; may stay the same at some slow form or get better
  7. Then Lukaku for 115. My word we know exactly what he is and isn't.
  8. Then Ousammane dembele - 145mil with add ons. Some questionable stuff
  9. Paul pogba then at 105mil euros and the guy has been a dissapointment for 95% UTD fans + going to steal us by leaving on a free.
  10. Then Gareth Bale to Madrid - to some that turned out well, atleast won them CLs even if the Madrid fans are a bit more tough with their love.
  11. Ronaldo to Juventus 100 mil - a great number by a legend but probably helped his status more than any of Juventus's
  12. Eden hazard is nowhere to be seen and apparently fat for Madrid.

That's all transfers before Ronaldo initial move to Madrid from United which achieved legendary success.

I don't really see how English players are overpriced/overrated (not worth 100mil) when so many players (especially foreign) over 100mil have been a questionable dissapointment.
None of those players proven their price tag, you could include maguire on that list also.

Stacks

We love to splash a shed load of dollars on a British baller so no doubt this Declan Rice chappy will be 2022's choice.

I just hope if Ralf rang Nick they'd have a chat about this as Butty should put him right and say "Ralf look at the Varane deal, we can get a proven quality player who has won actual trophies for a cheaper price"

The better investments are players from abroad, there are a lot of young foreign players out there who have the same potential while carrying half the price tag.
hopefully.
That's your opinion.

If you don't want a British club having British players maybe it's might be a bit of a wrong club for you.

Chelsea are the top team and having Hudson Odoi, Chalobah, Chilwell, Loftus Cheek, Mount, Barkley, Reece James - Gilmour, Ampadu, Gallagher on loan.

Man City have walker, Stones, Sterling, Foden, Grealish, Palmer and have let gone of players like Sancho who we have bought.

Liverpool have arguably the best full back partnership- Alexander Arnold, Robertson, Joe Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Curtis Jones, Oxelade chamberlain, Phillips, Elliot, williams

I really dont think it's mad as it's made out to be. Sure there is a cost extra for English players whilst every single transfer gets up by a quarter just for us being interested anyway.

People were crying for Sancho last year at Dortmund and would do the same for Bellingham - but if its a British player from the PL it's a bit of a loss of money?

Whilst players like Pogba go on a free after being a 90 mil transfer? Some players leave us in their prime when we got them there in the first place. Some just completely fail.

I'm not a big fan of this " look outside the British nationality crap" - I could do the same for other countries but wouldn't that be rude?

I'm not even of British heritage but if I wanted to watch a team with majority of spain players or Italian- then I'd spend more time watching La Liga or Serie A.
would be weird if a British club could get away with not have any British players. We play AWB, Maguire, Shaw, McTom, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood probably get the most minutes with Lingard and honrary back up.7 ours are 1st teamers pretty much or destined to be when Ronaldo retires. We are competitive in that regard
Lots of duds like Fred also, who cost 50m pounds.
facts but Jose was a man of duds so I excuse that

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Hopefully RR doesn’t sign Rice, and instead buys the next Declan Rice or better still promotes one of the younger ones then uses his coaching ability to bring him up to the required level.
Any way its moot point, Chelsea will be his next destination. If he wasn’t English/England based British, he wouldnt be worth any where near that. Same as slab head who Leicester fleeced us £80m for.

cyberman

Brighton have midfield control here. This may be Rice playing well but I’d rather someone pressuring further up or dictating play from deep. Rice does neither

Kostov

facts but Jose was a man of duds so I excuse that
We don’t have a clue who’s duds are we talking about since we know feck all about who chooses the players we bring in. One thing is for sure, whoever it was he was shockingly incompetent.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Chelsea won't want him anyway. Jorginho already does everything they need but better.

Sviken

He looks like another Maguire to me. Don't we have a scouting system? Why can't we find great players for small prices? Bayern seem able to do it. I know their situation is different, but come on, at least try. 100+ millions on Rice would be daylight robbery.

Stacks

He looks like another Maguire to me. Don't we have a scouting system? Why can't we find great players for small prices? Bayern seem able to do it. I know their situation is different, but come on, at least try. 100+ millions on Rice would be daylight robbery.
because its the easier option. AWB was on a list of about 20 choices and they went for the easiest option as they can see him on MOTD as he plays in the league. The also end up being some of the most expensive also. We would never unearth a Salah. Every player we are linked to are huge well known stars as its like Football manager here

Bebestation

Chelsea won't want him anyway. Jorginho already does everything they need but better.
Just out of interest, I want to ask someone who doesn't rate Rice - how do you describe Jorginho method of playing if you say what he does as a midfielder?

It's because sure I do wonder at times if I'm over rating Rice in my head (I don't think he is worth 100 mil, but then again that's not really stopped me wanting him either - whilst others look at the price and just get scared with what they see of Rice).

I just want to see from your description of Jorginho - does he do the exact same things as Rice only better, or are they different players, one looking say more creative?

Bebestation

because its the easier option. AWB was on a list of about 20 choices and they went for the easiest option as they can see him on MOTD as he plays in the league. The also end up being some of the most expensive also. We would never unearth a Salah. Every player we are linked to are huge well known stars as its like Football manager here
What about Diallo? Martial? Bailly? Lindelof? Dalot?

What makes them seem like the easy choice to you?

romufc

We would never unearth a Salah. Every player we are linked to are huge well known stars as its like Football manager here
Interesting.. Are you saying Liverpool unearthed Salah? I mean he was rated very highly at Chelsea, Jose didn't rate him and went to Fiorentina. Just go have a look at his stats there.

Fred was a huge star, so was Diallo, Bailly, Lindelof.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just out of interest, I want to ask someone who doesn't rate Rice - how do you describe Jorginho method of playing if you say what he does as a midfielder?

It's because sure I do wonder at times if I'm over rating Rice in my head (I don't think he is worth 100 mil, but then again that's not really stopped me wanting him either - whilst others look at the price and just get scared with what they see of Rice).

I just want to see from your description of Jorginho - does he do the exact same things as Rice only better, or are they different players, one looking say more creative?
Well it's difficult to compare them directly as they both play different roles for their respective teams.

Jorginho is on the ball a lot more, touches + passes always very high. He's great at taking the ball from defence and dictating the tempo which allows the rest of the team to get higher up the field and into position.

Yes he's also quite creative, great at long passes over the top or balls in the channel. Chelsea playing 3 defenders means they don't really need a purely defensive midfielder, especially with Kante being a great box to box ball winner.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Rice is rubbish, but I don't think he offers enough in of terms influence in the opposition half. All the best teams want to keep the ball and effect the opposition in their own half, rather than relying on defending their own box. Maybe he just tailors his game to the way West Ham need to play, but I've never been impressed with him for England either.

It's the fee mainly that I am very against. He's not THAT good that we should warrant over paying instead of looking elsewhere at similar talents.

Kostov

Can you please elaborate on this? What does this progressive system mean? We've seen Jordan Henderson work in a very progressive system in a PL and CL winning team, yet someone like Rice could not? I think he is talented and young enough to work in a winning system if the manager knows what he is doing.

romufc

I don't get this. RR hasn't managed in a while, so we don't really know what his system is going to be like or what player will fit in it.

At the moment, United fans are just excited because its not Ole.

Declan Rice can't fit in a progressive system? What does that even mean, progressive system?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think if Chelsea gets him it’s a defensive wrap. They’re already insanely impenetrable with how Tuchel sets them up. Adding someone like Rice in the DM spot is just mad.

Bebestation

Interesting.. Are you saying Liverpool unearthed Salah? I mean he was rated very highly at Chelsea, Jose didn't rate him and went to Fiorentina. Just go have a look at his stats there.

Exactly. Mane was bossing it at Southampton and his club before. Salah was at Roma bossing it after his move away from Chelsea. Fabinho wasn't exactly something that was unknown and needed to be scouted. Naby Keita I knew less of and to this day, someone who hasnt been that great. Same with Alex Oxalade Chamberlain.

romufc

Exactly. Mane was bossing it at Southampton and his club before. Salah was at Roma bossing it after his move away from Chelsea. Fabinho wasn't exactly something that was unknown and needed to be scouted. Naby Keita I knew less of and to this day, someone who hasnt been that great. Same with Alex Oxalade Chamberlain.
Its interesting that people think that way. I mean sometimes a not so known player will come off, people forget we got Bruno, its not like he was touted by the biggest teams.

If you look at what Pep has done, he buys all the big name players, the reason they are well known is because they are good players.

With social media, when a player is doing well, people will know about these players.

An example is Vlahovic.

Stacks

What about Diallo? Martial? Bailly? Lindelof? Dalot?

What makes them seem like the easy choice to you?
Martial we made the most expensive teenager in the world taking the title from Shaw. Dalot and Diallo weren't meant to improve us right now and is a punt for the future.

Salah was a flop at Chelsea so highly rated based off what? We have signed dozens of players for the 1st team. Diallo is a punt for the future and not to improve us now. I'm talking more the first teamers.

Bebestation

Martial we made the most expensive teenager in the world taking the title from Shaw. Dalot and Diallo weren't meant to improve us right now and is a punt for the future.

Salah was a flop at Chelsea so highly rated based off what? We have signed dozens of players for the 1st team. Diallo is a punt for the future and not to improve us now. I'm talking more the first teamers.
Just because someone is expensive for United doesn't mean that we were exactly fighting over clubs for some guaranteed fantastic signing.

I mean Diallo is in your eyes a player for the future but a player that could cost us nearly 41 million one day, it doesn't mean that lots of clubs were after him because he was epic and he costs us that much, its just what Atalanta wanted for a valuable asset of theirs.

We took a chance on Martial due to what we hope he would be, not the player he was. We felt we unearthed players and who knows maybe they leave us one day and turn out amazing just like how Chelsea 'unearthed' Salah and De Bryune - yet let them all go to their rivals.

This whole foreign players are better and better value than England players all the time is just crap - it just looks and feels that way because your rating England vs the rest of the world.

ivaldo

I don't get this. RR hasn't managed in a while, so we don't really know what his system is going to be like or what player will fit in it.

At the moment, United fans are just excited because its not Ole.

Declan Rice can't fit in a progressive system? What does that even mean, progressive system?
It was 2019, his system isn't going to have changed a whole lot in that time, so I think we can safely assume we know what his approach will be for the most part. So we will play on the front foot. We'll be pressing, not shielding, and he'll want passers in midfield, players willing and able to play football high up the pitch.

Stacks

Just because someone is expensive for United doesn't mean that we were exactly fighting over clubs for some guaranteed fantastic signing.

I mean Diallo is in your eyes a player for the future but a player that could cost us nearly 41 million one day, it doesn't mean that lots of clubs were after him because he was epic and he costs us that much, its just what Atalanta wanted for a valuable asset of theirs.

We took a chance on Martial due to what we hope he would be, not the player he was. We felt we unearthed players and who knows maybe they leave us one day and turn out amazing just like how Chelsea 'unearthed' Salah and De Bryune - yet let them all go to their rivals.

This whole foreign players are better and better value than England players all the time is just crap - it just looks and feels that way because your rating England vs the rest of the world.
this is true though. No other country command such a high fee on average for a player and hardly any of the top 5 in the world in their positions are English.

Last edited:

Andrew7582

It was 2019, his system isn't going to have changed a whole lot in that time, so I think we can safely assume we know what his approach will be for the most part. So we will play on the front foot. We'll be pressing, not shielding, and he'll want passers in midfield, players willing and able to play football high up the pitch.
If Henderson and Milner can play in a progressive system so can Rice. Not that I want us to sign him mind, he's definitely not worth the asking price.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’ve never seen 1 single post from you where you aren’t moaning about something. Just a thought

In regards to scouting, what do you think pellestri and amad are, finished articles? How about the likes of McNeil for the youths, Fernandez for the youths etc? The scouts do a good job

ivaldo

If Henderson and Milner can play in a progressive system so can Rice. Not that I want us to sign him mind, he's definitely not worth the asking price.
They've both demonstrated a fair bit more on the ball than Rice. People like to laugh at Henderson, myself included, but he's got a pass in him. We unfortunately saw that at OT earlier in the season.

Sviken

I’ve never seen 1 single post from you where you aren’t moaning about something. Just a thought
How is me not wanting the club to splash 100 million on Rice considered "moaning"? I don't get it.

In regards to scouting, what do you think pellestri and amad are, finished articles? How about the likes of McNeil for the youths, Fernandez for the youths etc? The scouts do a good job
I know what they are not so far... first team players. Whether they are going to become that is another matter entirely, but that was not my point.

Andrew7582

They've both demonstrated a fair bit more on the ball than Rice. People like to laugh at Henderson, myself included, but he's got a pass in him. We unfortunately saw that at OT earlier in the season.
He didn't look any better on the ball than Rice at the euros that's for sure.

ivaldo

He didn't look any better on the ball than Rice at the euros that's for sure.
What a strange comparison to make. Is it the only time you've seen him play?

Last edited:

RuudTom83

Splashing an entire years transfer kitty on one player is something only the champions can do.

They are far too many fires to put out at United, and Rice is only one man...leave him where he is and admire him in a West Ham shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.