Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Why should I listen to you?

One of the main reasons I kind of like him is actually because of how some people don't get him, understand him or rate him.

It makes me feel that he is a bit of an intelligent player with world class off the ball playing ability that some people struggle to follow because Rice is playing an intelligent game that some people just can't follow and understand.

I feel like there is people who just follow the ball around for 90 mins when watching a football match and can't spot what Rice brings to the team because they are doing exactly that - following the football and the football only. Rice doesn't play like that and some people simply can't follow what he is doing.
That's a glowing endorsement of spunking £100 million if ever I've seen one.

Houdini

For around 50m YES, otherwise big no. We should stop paying silly money for players, it just builds pressure on them, one the club and makes a mess in the dressing room.

CloneMC16

Leicester bought Maguire the same time we bought Lindelof for 20 fecking milion less. English man from an English club for 20 million cheaper. Does that prove anything about your point? Plenty of overpriced players all over Europe, especially for a parody run club like Manchester United. 50m for Fred proves that perfectly.
I'm not sure why you quoted me. I agree with that. The guy I quoted was also being sarcastic. Players are overpriced everywhere, and there is a premium when clubs with a lot of money want a player. We're not getting anybody good on the cheap.

There is still an English player tax, but prices aren't that much better for foreign players.

lloyd2wayne

Why should I listen to you?

One of the main reasons I kind of like him is actually because of how some people don't get him, understand him or rate him.

It makes me feel that he is a bit of an intelligent player with world class off the ball playing ability that some people struggle to follow because Rice is playing an intelligent game that some people just can't follow and understand.

I feel like there is people who just follow the ball around for 90 mins when watching a football match and can't spot what Rice brings to the team because they are doing exactly that - following the football and the football only. Rice doesn't play like that and some people simply can't follow what he is doing.
I get that you rate him and he does all what you stated brilliantly in your eyes but why spend 100 million on a midfielder who isn’t known to even dictate the tempo of the game? The best pure DM in the league were all bought outside of Europe for way less than 70 million. Fabinho, Rodri, Jorginho, Ndidi etc all cost less and better than Rice.

We can find his quality for less, trust me.

OrcaFat

He’s not all that, get over it. No mental gymnastics will make him a world class player.
It’s a shame you seem oblivious to all the very good points made by @Bebestation.

I’m not entirely impartial because I rate Rice very highly but even so, Bebe made some great point’s especially concerning the type of player we are lacking and the unsuitable players people keep touting.

CloneMC16

I get that you rate him and he does all what you stated brilliantly in your eyes but why spend 100 million on a midfielder who isn’t known to even dictate the tempo of the game? The best pure DM in the league were all bought outside of Europe for way less than 70 million. Fabinho, Rodri, Jorginho, Ndidi etc all cost less and better than Rice.

We can find his quality for less, trust me.
Fabinho and Ndidi aren't better than Rice. Both of those players are excellent in a positional sense. They're very good at winning the ball back and giving it to other players that do the creating. Rice can do the job on exactly the same level as them. He is better than both at ball carrying and bringing the ball up the field. Rodri and Jorginho are definitely better on the ball and playing it through the lines. They're also extremely press resistant. Rarely losing the ball when pressed.

Ndidi was bought as a 20 year old and went to Leciester. They will never pay the prices that we have to. The other three were still expensive signings, but obviously not near to what Rice would cost. Rodri cost City £62m. Jorginho was around £51m. Fabinho was £40m. Rice will cost more, due to being PL proven, and playing for a club that doesn't need the money. He's not worth £100m in reality, but he is in West Ham's eyes.

If we bought Rice, we would need another midfielder that is better at doing the creating. I'm with you that if you spend £100m on a midfielder, you would want one of the best midfielders in the world that can do almost everything. You would want him to be able to set the tempo of the game, while also being positionally sound, and energetic enough to get around the field when needed.

lloyd2wayne

It’s a shame you seem oblivious to all the very good points made by @Bebestation.

I’m not entirely impartial because I rate Rice very highly but even so, Bebe made some great point’s especially concerning the type of player we are lacking and the unsuitable players people keep touting.
I see some of the good Rice does but does, I’m not criticizing blindly here. Does it justify 100 million? No.

lloyd2wayne

Fabinho and Ndidi aren't better than Rice. Both of those players are excellent in a positional sense. They're very good at winning the ball back and giving it to other players that do the creating. Rice can do the job on exactly the same level as them. He is better than both at ball carrying and bringing the ball up the field. Rodri and Jorginho are definitely better on the ball and playing it through the lines. They're also extremely press resistant. Rarely losing the ball when pressed.

Ndidi was bought as a 20 year old and went to Leciester. They will never pay the prices that we have to. The other three were still expensive signings, but obviously not near to what Rice would cost. Rodri cost City £62m. Jorginho was around £51m. Fabinho was £40m. Rice will cost more, due to being PL proven, and playing for a club that doesn't need the money. He's not worth £100m in reality, but he is in West Ham's eyes.

If we bought Rice, we would need another midfielder that is better at doing the creating. I'm with you that if you spend £100m on a midfielder, you would want one of the best midfielders in the world that can do almost everything. You would want him to be able to set the tempo of the game, while also being positionally sound, and energetic enough to get around the field when needed.
I don’t agree Rice is better than Fabinho or Ndidi but I respect your opinion.

Premier league proven shouldn’t be a criteria for pricing a player. Rodri, Fabinho, Jorginho all had no premier league experience but contributed to their teams winning the premier league or champions league.

I’m glad we are agree on something on Rice.

Righteous Steps

Rice isn’t as good as Fabinho, splitting the lines or creating chances, he’s better at carrying the ball forward, probably has more pace, but is very stiff in regards to the way he manoeuvres the ball which is why you can get the impression he isn’t technically good when he is.

Saying that though anyone who buys him for 70-80m is a fool, no DM is really worth that much especially one who isn’t going to go down as a generational one in the mould of Busquets Rijkaard etc, would be a complete waste of money when you can get a player probably even more talented on the continent for half that price, even less.

Maniron

Well, 60k+ fans will get to witness him first hand this Saturday and millions will watch on tv. Let's hope he doesn't live up to his billing

RedCurry

The way people talk about him, I expect him to dominate us on Saturday.
The way people talk about him, if he plays well then he dominated us and if he played poorly then we just don’t understand football and how good he actually was.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
The way people talk about him, if he plays well then he dominated us and if he played poorly then we just don’t understand football and how good he actually was.
:lol:

I love that people are actually using this line of logic now...."if you don't like him, you just don't understand football". Pure hipster elitism and condescension.

OrcaFat

:lol:

I love that people are actually using this line of logic now...."if you don't like him, you just don't understand football". Pure hipster elitism and condescension.
Yeah there’s no need for that stuff, I agree.

It’s pretty obvious that people have fairly widely differing opinions on Rice and it could be that the degree to which you rate him depends mainly on what you think makes good midfield play.

A lot of his qualities are not eye catching and it’s everyone’s right to not care.

RuudtheRed

Watching him play today just makes me think he's the real deal. Technical, comfortable in possession, aggressive and measured in the tackle and improving with every game. But I doubt we'd be able to sign him given the insane price West Ham would surely demand

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Defensively at least he reads the game extremely well for someone who just turned 23 a week ago. If I didn't know his age I'd think he was a veteran DM in his late 20's.

Oranges038

Watching him play today just makes me think he's the real deal. Technical, comfortable in possession, aggressive and measured in the tackle and improving with every game. But I doubt we'd be able to sign him given the insane price West Ham would surely demand
Big part of it is how he dominates and controls those around him in that WH midifeld, he's constantly talking amd organising.

MetoTTT

I really like him and rate him. But I'm not sure that another overpriced english player will be a good choice and be good for the dressing room.

Hammondo

Did not even dominate the midfield when we took Fred off. West Ham looked weak in midfield.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing with Rice is that players like Zakaria and Tchouameni simply don't play like him.

They play more like Kante or Fred who just chase after the ball.

Rice is just in the right position at the right time, always in the most deadly positions before the attack gets there.

Forget the fee- I just don't see how people can't rate what he does.

cyberman

Yet again sank way back on top of the CBs and allowed the opposition to advance up midfield. It happens every time we play him.
Good CDM performance but it’s not what we need. 16 attempts and 2 on target tells us how condensed the became through the middle but I just don’t see it with him.

Bebestation

Yet again sank way back on top of the CBs and allowed the opposition to advance up midfield. It happens every time we play him.
Good CDM performance but it’s not what we need. 16 attempts and 2 on target tells us how condensed the became through the middle but I just don’t see it with him.
The guy was eating literally everything in front of the CB'S throughout the first half.

Rice this. Rice that all in the first half. We didn't create at all in the 2nd half and we were taking long shots all game.

It's the same thing that happened with England in the Euros - no goal from open play until the final because of Rice and the defenders.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Do people genuinely just look at possession and decide based on that who won the midfield? I don’t remember us getting in behind their midfield centrally through the lines once when they were set - he also never gives the fecking ball away. He’s turning into an absolute monster.

kidbob

There simply isn't a better player to shield a defence in football at the minute. Also good enough on the ball. However for the price you'll buy a good equivalent and have money over for 2 other positions. Needed to run his contract down at West Ham unfortunately.

cyberman

The guy was eating literally everything in front of the CB'S throughout the first half.

Rice this. Rice that all in the first half. We didn't create at all in the 2nd half and we were taking long shots all game.

It's the same thing that happened with England in the Euros - no goal from open play until the final because of Rice and the defenders.
Nobody doubts he’s a good DM but he was supposed to be more than that. The same thing happened in the away game, he sank the whole way back and we were walking the ball through midfield at will. You gotta remember we aren’t even good at that!
If we sign him that’s what we are settling for. More backs to the wall jobs as we surrender midfield control.
Edit it’s not like he was shutting us down before we got to the box. We did get there. It’s numbers more than Rice that crowded us out

Bebestation

Do people genuinely just look at possession and decide based on that who won the midfield? I don’t remember us getting in behind their midfield centrally through the lines once when they were set - he also never gives the fecking ball away. He’s turning into an absolute monster.
This is what I say too, i feel that some people can only watch what happens directly with the football - so they watch Rice and say he does shit all. Then there is the other side where people can watch how a player who doesn't have the ball gets in the way of a team creating chances which is much harder to follow.

Ultimately I guess its still just an opinion.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Very hard to judge Rice when West Ham's gameplan seems to be sit back and counter. In a Man Utd team, most of the time, the #6 has to be much more proactive. A lot of the time our back four is on the halfway line or further. United controlled the areas of the pitch in which the game was played, to such an extent its hard to know how Rice would do if he was called on to be more expansive. Certainly he miscued a couple of cross field passes. That makes you wonder how he'd do in our team, since Rangnick is clearly demanding McTominay makes the switches. For £100m you need to be sure about what you're getting and, for me, its not clear he can play the Carrick role.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The thing with Rice is that players like Zakaria and Tchouameni simply don't play like him.

They play more like Kante or Fred who just chase after the ball.

Rice is just in the right position at the right time, always in the most deadly positions before the attack gets there.

Forget the fee- I just don't see how people can't rate what he does.
What's the maximum you think we should spend on him

Ollie Derbyshire

Pretty simple for me, he’d be great for us and if we don’t get him he’ll go to Chelsea or City and we’ll regret it big time.

Zoo

Without him in their team we would have broken the deadlock far earlier today. Superb player.

Satsuma United

Declan Rice proved today he is what we need.

Absolutely bossed in midfield, Mctominay and Fred couldnt handle him. He is a true HM, just leave him there all alone and we can do it all.

80M, 100M, do it Board.

BerryBerryShrew

There simply isn't a better player to shield a defence in football at the minute. Also good enough on the ball. However for the price you'll buy a good equivalent and have money over for 2 other positions. Needed to run his contract down at West Ham unfortunately.
Madness that we didn't just throw in Lingard as a makeweight for him in the summer if we really wanted him.

Now his price has increased and J-Lingz gets to walk on a free.

Bebestation

What's the maximum you think we should spend on him
For me I've been thinking maybe it's better we find our "deep lying playmaker" first before we buy Rice -

Only because I feel like if we buy Rice first then some fans will get fustrated for him not being the player he never was.

Ideally I'd have him now but big transfer fees have not been successful for most clubs so I'm looking at putting less pressure after a top fee when our midfield needs some creativity too.

I'd say though when he is the last player we need - hopefully a 68- 73 million max transfer can make West Ham happy; because we did buy Sancho for similar prices aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.