Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrinford

Why rice makes sense is because of Rabiot being a free transfer.

Creativity added on a free whilst fixing the ability for creative players to play freely.
The creative players won’t be playing particularly freely if we implement the formation you keep on saying you want to see.

sherrinford

I think it could be argued they wouldn’t be the best really, particularly if it limits other potential signings. Wan-Bissaka is a great defender and would certainly shore up the weakness that we have in that area when teams are attacking us, but him and Shaw in the same team is very conservative. There is always Dalot aswell, who is a very promising attacker from that position so - even without the context of how our more advanced players setup - he could be a better fit with Shaw in theory.

Does Rice really offer something ‘different’ from Matic and Herrera? Or if not, does he really offer unquestionably more than they do? I would like us to bring in someone capable of playing no.8 with a bit of invention instead. Rice seems an athletic and keen defender and a tidy, reasonably urgent passer. I think he is and will be a good player, but I don’t see him changing the dynamic of our midfield. In conjunction with Wan-Bissaka certainly, the team should improve defensively, but without actually buying in the primary position we should be looking for a player - centre half.

Sancho would be a good signing as we have no right winger.

C'est Moi Cantona

Not this summer, hardly a priority just now, and too many English midfielders have flattered to deceive before, unlikely to much more expensive even if does back it up next season anyway.

Aloysius's Back 3

Not this summer, hardly a priority just now, and too many English midfielders have flattered to deceive before, unlikely to much more expensive even if does back it up next season anyway.
Do you feel the same about Sancho considering I could hardly remember a winger who was English that was good enough. Sure they had pace when the defence gave free space like Sean Wright Phillips & Walcott but they hardly all that skilful to beat a compressed defensive line either.

C'est Moi Cantona

Do you feel the same about Sancho considering I could hardly remember a winger who was English that was good enough. Sure they had pace when the defence gave free space like Sean Wright Phillips & Walcott but they hardly all that skilful to beat a compressed defensive line either.
Sancho is slightly different, in that he's broken the usual trend for English players and gone abroad to make a name for himself at a top club, rather than standing out in a lower table English side, but for his sake he might be better staying out there for at least another season, as if we spend what would likely be our record fee on him then the pressure is instantly on, and from the limited amount I've seen he can drift in and out of games, which at his age is fair enough, but not sure that's what we need right now in a position we are desperate in, and have very limited cover.

Last edited:

Kag

Not even close to being good enough to play in midfield for us. Long term he’s a centre half, not a midfielder. Matic is significantly better at nearly all things midfielder, even in spite of being (at times) rather poor.

Scholsey2004

I reckon this kids the contingency plan for if Herrera leaves to replace rabiot who may be heading for real.

haram

He could easily come in and be our Fernandinho that will release our fullbacks and more attacking midfielders like Pogba to focus on creating in Attack. I hope we buy Rice. Matic is gone.
Fernandinho is also good on the ball though.

Aloysius's Back 3

Declan rice isnt going to suddenly add creativity to our midfield.

However, he remidns me of Kante - a player stagnant in midfield that will do the dirty work and let everybody else in front of him become more creative whilst having everybody behind him a bit or solid.

Ideally we can get Rice and another creative midfielder.

Whilst this is just an example and the chances of it happening is low - the only way we could ever see a midfield of Gomes & Pogba together would be to have someone like Rice playing behind them. Even if that doesnt happen; thats the balance he gives to our midfield. Same with players like Fred that need to be away from the high impact areas in front of the defence.

Kapardin

Sancho is slightly different, in that he's broken the usual trend for English players and gone abroad to make a name for himself at a top club, rather than standing out in a lower table English side, but for his sake he might be better staying out there for at least another season, as if we spend what would likely be our record fee on him then the pressure is instantly on, and from the limited amount I've seen he can drift in and out of games, which at his age is fair enough, but not sure that's what we need right now in a position we are desperate in, and have very limited cover.
True. I'm not sure targeting Sancho is wise. We need a winger like Mane or Salah - proven goalscorers in their prime. Now, I hope I'm wrong if we sign him, but Sancho could be inconsistent like Martial which could lead to the same old problems in front of goal.

Paul_Scholes18

I like Rice, but he is not good enough to improve us. He would struggle and then be attacked like crazy here.

Hawks2008

However, he remidns me of Kante - a player stagnant in midfield that will do the dirty work and let everybody else in front of him become more creative whilst having everybody behind him a bit or solid.

Whilst this is just an example and the chances of it happening is low - the only way we could ever see a midfield of Gomes & Pogba together would be to have someone like Rice playing behind them. Even if that doesnt happen; thats the balance he gives to our midfield. Same with players like Fred that need to be away from the high impact areas in front of the defence.
I understand what you mean. I still think as good a ball winner he is we'd be better served with a more skilled player in that part of midfield. Someone who can start counters, carry the ball, and evade the press all in the deeper areas will improve us in attacking transitions and take pressure off our defence. I truly believe a recruiting a midfielder like this is as vital as a new CB or RW. Rice would represent an improvement on Matic but I'm sceptical if he would bring anything new to the midfield.

IrishRedDevil

Decent player, but I think he needs another season at West Ham. We don’t need a team full of developing youth.

Devil may care

For the price Wst Ham want we can get Rodri who does everything Rice does while being much better on the ball, I think Rice's future is as a CB.

Sea-Cow

He is the defensive mid version of signing Harry Maguire. I have to believe that our scouts can do better.

He is kinda slow and plodding and extremely limited with the ball and in his passing.

Any comparisons to Carrick are miles off the mark.

Gordon S

He is a strong ball winning midfielder who reads his opponents rather well actually. I think we could use a player like that. But his quality with the ball at his feet is a litte bit concerning. More Schneiderlin/Fellaini than Carrick/Alonso.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is a strong ball winning midfielder who reads his opponents rather well actually. I think we could use a player like that. But his quality with the ball at his feet is a litte bit concerning. More Schneiderlin/Fellaini than Carrick/Alonso.
Definitely don't want in that case. Sounds like the role McTominay would play in our sqauad albiet more defence oriented.

NoPace

Yeah, for the me the entire case for signing Rice is that we could then sign an offensively driven CM like Bruno Fernandes or Aouar and Rice's ballwinning and comfort in dealing with counterattacks would make that non-suicidal.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I haven't read through the thread to see if this is a common idea already but from watching a numerous amount go videos I came up with this opinion.

As a CDM he is ok he is a great ball winner but offers nothing going forward and for the modern game that won't cut it.

Now what I do see is the potential for a WORLD CLASS center back! I think he has all the makings to be a top top player in that position. He is two footed tall strong and has a great reading the game. He even said his idol was John Terry growing up.

Once again never seen the kid play live so going off of what I saw.

In fact he reminds me exactly of Eric Dier.

TrueRed79

I haven't read through the thread to see if this is a common idea already but from watching a numerous amount go videos I came up with this opinion.

As a CDM he is ok he is a great ball winner but offers nothing going forward and for the modern game that won't cut it.

Now what I do see is the potential for a WORLD CLASS center back! I think he has all the makings to be a top top player in that position. He is two footed tall strong and has a great reading the game. He even said his idol was John Terry growing up.

So what you're really saying is he's shit.

SportingCP96

Supports
So what you're really saying is he's shit.
:lol::lol: I dont think Dier is a bad player but let me explain.

What I mean by he remind me of Dier is the fact that Dier is so obviously a center back yet he plays CDM a lot of times but its clear he belongs in the center of defense. Dier is unlucky that he has 2 great center backs thread of him but I think he is a solid player.

As for Declan Rice if I am Man United or any other top 6 club I would sign him to be my center back he does not have enough quality to be a CDM ( keep in mind thats not me saying he is a bad player) I just think it makes sense to play him where he can truly maximize his potential.

Ekeke

:lol::lol: I dont think Dier is a bad player but let me explain.

What I mean by he remind me of Dier is the fact that Dier is so obviously a center back yet he plays CDM a lot of times but its clear he belongs in the center of defense. Dier is unlucky that he has 2 great center backs thread of him but I think he is a solid player.

As for Declan Rice if I am Man United or any other top 6 club I would sign him to be my center back he does not have enough quality to be a CDM ( keep in mind thats not me saying he is a bad player) I just think it makes sense to play him where he can truly maximize his potential.
Sanchez is a great CB?

soaphroniscuss

He is only 1.85m

Judas

Open to offers
We could probably get a better player and prospect in Saul for that kind of reported price on Rice
I just don't see why Saul would come to us when he'd have much better options. Until we improve, it'll continue to be like that, unless we overpay dramatically for players services which causes its own issue.

SportingCP96

Supports
So why isnt he playing CB when Sanchez is selected at CB?
Sanches is good too they are all good centerbacks.... Dier is a solid player much better then Jones and smalling aint better either.

Spurs have a lot of depth in that position

Ekeke

Sanches is good too they are all good centerbacks.... Dier is a solid player much better then Jones and smalling aint better either.

Spurs have a lot of depth in that position
Smalling is better than Sanchez.

Sanchez plays because Toby and Verthongen barely head a ball while Sanchez makes the 2nd most to Smalling out of CBs from the top 6. Some opponents its going to cost them more than others having CBs who dont win the ball in the air. Thats where Sanchez comes in

SportingCP96

Supports
Smalling is better than Sanchez.

Sanchez plays because Toby and Verthongen barely head a ball while Sanchez makes the 2nd most to Smalling out of CBs from the top 6. Some opponents its going to cost them more than others having CBs who dont win the ball in the air. Thats where Sanchez comes in
Point being in all of this is that Dier is not a bad player.

Based Adnan

Thought he was quite poor for the Hazard goal just now. Hazard picks up the ball and had all the freedom in what should have been Rice's area of the pitch. Simply ran past Rice who didn't put in much effort to stop him.

Him and Noble were non existent in protecting the backline

Gordon S

Thought he was quite poor for the Hazard goal just now. Hazard picks up the ball and had all the freedom in what should have been Rice's area of the pitch. Simply ran past Rice who didn't put in much effort to stop him.

Him and Noble were non existent in protecting the backline
An in form Hazard has the ability to make any defenders look stupid. Rice looks bang average so far tough.

Renegade

He might turn out to be a decent player eventually but I get a Eric Dier vibe from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.