Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mav_9me

Probably my ignorance but I always thought he was a defender playing in midfield. But having caught glimpses over the last few weeks I have been very impressed by his passing short and long. Looks to be developing nicely

Mainoldo

Probably my ignorance but I always thought he was a defender playing in midfield. But having caught glimpses over the last few weeks I have been very impressed by his passing short and long. Looks to be developing nicely
He’s quality and I hope he’s our number one midfield target to be part of the two. He reminds me of Carrick’s style of play. He’ll look amazing along great players.

Suvvernmanc

Ian 'the moose' Abrahams, talksport journalist and west ham fan said on the talksport breakfast show earlier today that Rice is worth £75-80m and is very likely that is the price that west ham will get and they won't hold him back if he was to leave. He said Chelsea will be the ones most likely to get him.

At 21 years old and being English, I can see a high fee but that figure is mental. I cannot see it personally. Based on what I've seen of him, £50m sounds about right at the very highest price. He has impressed me over the last few weeks but i dont see a high enough ceiling to warrant that price.

jamesjimmybyrondean

West ham looking likely not to get relegated. We should just steer clear because the price tag would be ridiculous

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
West ham looking likely not to get relegated. We should just steer clear because the price tag would be ridiculous
somebody will pick him up this summer I think... perhaps an Arsenal, Spurs or Everton - or even go abroad... a step up and a chance for him to kick on / devleop ... recon Everton would be a good stop for him as i think Anchelotti would improve his game a lot

mav_9me

somebody will pick him up this summer I think... perhaps an Arsenal, Spurs or Everton - or even go abroad... a step up and a chance for him to kick on / devleop ... recon Everton would be a good stop for him as i think Anchelotti would improve his game a lot
I doubt anyone would pay 70-80m for him. If his tag is more reasonable at around say 40m I think all the top clubs will be interested. I actually don't see wham selling him this summer.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I doubt anyone would pay 70-80m for him. If his tag is more reasonable at around say 40m I think all the top clubs will be interested. I actually don't see wham selling him this summer.
Not sure of west hams finances but I would have thought CV19 will be a big hit (as wages went up almost 30% last year alone due to new signings) and they have spent a net £130m over the last two seasons - gut feel they will sell him for something like the 40-50m you mention

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
what is this american term?

theklr

Just hope Chelsea wont get him, the links there has been picking up abit. He would fit well there, and have some history with them.

slored1

Good player for West Ham, not good enough for us. Offers too little with the ball and doesn't improve our squad as of now.

WHU666

Supports
West Ham United
I would hate to see him go but in the current situation with our terrible owners we are going nowhere.

I would rather see him at Man Utd than Chelsea that's for sure.

The lad is destined for the top and would be a great Matic replacement.

He is better than Carrick was at 21

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I would hate to see him go but in the current situation with our terrible owners we are going nowhere.

I would rather see him at Man Utd than Chelsea that's for sure.

The lad is destined for the top and would be a great Matic replacement.

He is better than Carrick was at 21
What part of his game is better than Carrick in your point of view?

I think Ole will go for him if there is data and stats to back up his quality in such a complex area that requires both defensive ability and passing - we have turned to a club that cares more about data before we buy players to make sure we get a better deal more often.

WHU666

Supports
West Ham United
What part of his game is better than Carrick in your point of view?

I think Ole will go for him if there is data and stats to back up his quality in such a complex area that requires both defensive ability and passing - we have turned to a club that cares more about data before we buy players to make sure we get a better deal more often.
He is much tougher and better defender. His passing has been getting better and better and just as good as Carrick's was at 21

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Just hope Chelsea wont get him, the links there has been picking up abit. He would fit well there, and have some history with them.
"Some history" is an understatement! He spent 8 years in our academy and was coached by Joe Edwards (now our assistant manager) as well as being best friends with Mason Mount.

I'm not personally convinced he's what we need.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
"Some history" is an understatement! He spent 8 years in our academy and was coached by Joe Edwards (now our assistant manager) as well as being best friends with Mason Mount.

I'm not personally convinced he's what we need.
He'd be your best CB next to Rudiger IMO, potentially better as he doesn't seem as injury prone.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He'd be your best CB next to Rudiger IMO, potentially better as he doesn't seem as injury prone.
I'd argue not many Chelsea fans view Rudiger as our best CB currently.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
How many games have you seen Rice play at centre back?
in recent games, only the game against Wolves. But that is where he broke through at West ham.

I'd argue not many Chelsea fans view Rudiger as our best CB currently.
Fair enough, my friends who are Chelsea fans view him as the best, when fit. Who is it in your view, genuine question. Interested to hear your thoughts on this too @duffer

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
in recent games, only the game against Wolves. But that is where he broke through at West ham.

Fair enough, my friends who are Chelsea fans view him as the best, when fit. Who is it in your view, genuine question. Interested to hear your thoughts on this too @duffer
At the moment, Zouma. I don't think there's an awful lot between them. None of them are bad players.

Give us a decent left back & goalie and I think our central defenders calm down a bit.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
At the moment, Zouma. I don't think there's an awful lot between them. None of them are bad players.

Give us a decent left back & goalie and I think our central defenders calm down a bit.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Zouma. It's a shame he missed so much football. I think he'd be one of the top 3 CBs in the league by now otherwise.

Fair enough, I'd personally take Rice at CB for us as well, so I wasn't saying it as a slight to your CBs.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Looks like a fair number are pretty delusional about him tbf. Better than Maguire FFS. :lol:
I can't even remember the last time I've seen him dropped in at CB, has he actually played there this year?
Wolves and was very good, IMO.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Wolves and was very good, IMO.
Fair enough. He certainly looks a decent player but not convinced he's got enough about him on the ball to be a top CM and not convinced he's an imposing enough defender to be a top CB, so if he's played there and done well that's a good sign. What I will say for him is his passing is very pleasing on the eye, strikes the ball crisply with a good body shape. Not particularly inventive with it I don't think but he's still young and either way if he becomes some sort of defensive monster nobody will care how inventive his passing is.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would you do a Lingard + Jones + cash for Rice deal?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Fair enough. He certainly looks a decent player but not convinced he's got enough about him on the ball to be a top CM and not convinced he's an imposing enough defender to be a top CB, so if he's played there and done well that's a good sign. What I will say for him is his passing is very pleasing on the eye, strikes the ball crisply with a good body shape. Not particularly inventive with it I don't think but he's still young and either way if he becomes some sort of defensive monster nobody will care how inventive his passing is.
perhaps a back three would suit him allowing him to drop into midfield
perhaps spurs could do worse than him and dier along side sanchez as both could step into midfield / drop back when needed?... though that might be a bit adventurous for jose

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Christensen is our best CB imo, though I appreciate I'm in the minority with that view. I'd say all our CB's, including Tomori, operate at a very similar level. I feel the most comfortable when Zouma and Christensen are paired together. If we sign Declan Rice, I'd prefer to lose Rudiger.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Christensen is our best CB imo, though I appreciate I'm in the minority with that view. I'd say all our CB's, including Tomori, operate at a very similar level. I feel the most comfortable when Zouma and Christensen are paired together. If we sign Declan Rice, I'd prefer to lose Rudiger.
Absolutely no fecking chance is that weak strand of piss our best cb. Hes the first one that should be out the door.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm definitely not convinced at CM, but he was very strong against the likes of Jiminez and Traore. I think he could be imposing at CB, he's a strong lad, he's got a similar build to Vidic.
Absolutely no fecking chance is that weak strand of piss our best cb. Hes the first one that should be out the door.
I was about to say it's funny how opinions can differ so much! I would have Christensen as your weakest CB

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I disagree obvs, but I love that colourful description :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm definitely not convinced at CM, but he was very strong against the likes of Jiminez and Traore. I think he could be imposing at CB, he's a strong lad, he's got a similar build to Vidic.

I was about to say it's funny how opinions can differ so much! I would have Christensen as your weakest CB
I think opinions really soured on him when he made that brutal error vs Barca (it was more of a catalogue of errors, but his part in it was the most damning). Conte dropped him immediately and he didn't really get any consistent run of games as a starter until this season. Conte didn't trust him after that night. Sarri completely ignored him. Even this season, he's had to bide his time sometimes. As I said, I don't think there's much in it between all 4 CB's, so I'm not out here claiming he's Beckenbauer reincarnated or anything.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I disagree obvs, but I love that colourful description :lol:
Hes too weak for this league. What antonio did to him was shameful.
Even last match against palace benteke against both cbs there was a huge contrast andreas was getting bullied yet zouma left benteke on the floor.
The only decent game hes had was the city one where thet didnt play a cf. Every other game post lock down hes been awful. I dont know how anyone can look at him and say hes our best cb.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think opinions really soured on him when he made that brutal error vs Barca (it was more of a catalogue of errors, but his part in it was the most damning). Conte dropped him immediately and he didn't really get any consistent run of games as a starter until this season. Conte didn't trust him after that night. Sarri completely ignored him. Even this season, he's had to bide his time sometimes. As I said, I don't think there's much in it between all 4 CB's, so I'm not out here claiming he's Beckenbauer reincarnated or anything.
I'm not saying he's bad either! Reminds me a lot of Lindleof. He seems a bit too passive for me.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hes too weak for this league. What antonio did to him was shameful.
Even last match against palace benteke against both cbs there was a huge contrast andreas was getting bullied yet zouma left benteke on the floor.
The only decent game hes had was the city one where thet didnt play a cf. Every other game post lock down hes been awful. I dont know how anyone can look at him and say hes our best cb.
Benteke won almost all of his aerial battles with Zouma. Even the big late tackle he's been [correctly] praised to the high heavens for partly came about because his initial flat-footed lack of anticipation [combined with midfielders not tracking their runners] caused the big gaping hole in the defence.

Rudiger has been a walking catalogue of errors since the restart, hence why he's been dropped.

Christensen hasn't been without his own troubles, hence why I said all our CB's operate at a similar level. They've just got deficiencies in different areas of their game.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not saying he's bad either! Reminds me a lot of Lindleof. He seems a bit too passive for me.
That's a fair description. I'd counter that by pointing out that he's our best ball-playing defender. People say he's weak, but I think passive is a better description. I think he struggles specifically when the ball is in the air. I've seen him shrug off big burly forwards when the ball is on the grass.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Benteke won almost all of his aerial battles with Zouma. Even the big late tackle he's been [correctly] praised to the high heavens for partly came about because his initial flat-footed lack of anticipation [combined with midfielders not tracking their runners] caused the big gaping hole in the defence.

Rudiger has been a walking catalogue of errors since the restart, hence why he's been dropped.

Christensen hasn't been without his own troubles, hence why I said all our CB's operate at a similar level. They've just got deficiencies in different areas of their game.
Kepa and christensen need to be the first one out of the door.
Benteke ran off christensen for that chance look at the ground zouma had to cover.
Hes so weak in the air we may as well have young billy defending air balls instead.
What strengths does he have ? Look at his defending for bentekes goal and how he let the runner waltz past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.