Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Personally I don't know. Zakaria seems to be the only one anyone can make a convincing argument for at the moment, but I haven't seen enough of him to comment. Rice is an average player all round, in my opinion.

I'd very seriously consider Ndidi if we could get him. Yes, his play going forward is limited, but the whole point is to find someone almost entirely focussed on defending who can play with Pogba and Bruno, so I don't see that as an issue. We have box-to-box midfielders already, we don't need another. The player we go for must be a true DM,
What's the difference in Rice vs Ndidi as ball winning midfielders?

Just want to know your opinion what makes Ndidi better at it than Rice.

Both of them are not playmakers from deep so it should be pretty close.

davidmichael

Zakaria > Rice is prime Emperor's New Clothes "haven't seen much of him but he's great on FIFA, has nice highlight videos and a Football Twitter hypetrain".

Stats from 2019/20 season where West Ham narrowly avoided relegation in 16th place, while BMG were unanimously praised for finishing 4th, scoring 66 goals (the same amount we did).
Progressive Passing
Rice 212 yards per game - playing for a slow paced Moyes, West Ham team
Zakaria 175 yards per game - playing for a hyperfast transition Rose, BMG team

Adjusted for pace and possession, I'm sure Rice becomes even more dominant here.

Pressured Passing (literally passes played while under pressure...one of the better 'press resistant' metrics for the DM role)
Rice 8.5 per game, at an 84% success rate
Zakaria 7 per game, at a 72% success rate

Switches (switches of play more than 40 yards...something both Carrick and Scholes excelled at)
Rice 2.1 per game, at an 85% success rate
Zakaria 0.8 per game, at an 71% success rate

You could say Zakaria's comparatively low number here could be down to style of play - but his success rate is also low.

Weak Foot
For me, this is a key technique metric and a big difference maker between them.

Zakaria's one of the most one-footed players in Europe - using his right foot 98% of the time. He literally attempted 19 passes all season with his left foot - completing just 8 (42%). By contrast, Rice attempted 300 left footed passes, completing 244 (83%...barely any lower than his right foot %)

Dribbling
Zakaria attempts 2.9 dribbles per game, at a 74% success rate.
Rice attempts 1.4 dribbles per game, at a 77% success rate.

Dribbling and carrying the ball is the one area where Zakaria excels over Rice - but the success rates are interesting and could point to a tactical reason for the disparity.

Rice is more progressive and better technically than Zakaria - unless you put unbelievably high value on dribbling - and I don't think anyone would argue about who excels at the defensive aspect of the role.

I've seen a lot of people saying that they think Rice made a big jump this season...if that's the case, these stats likely become even better for Rice. Especially given that Zakaria's coming off a bad injury and is struggling for form.
Exactly, fully agree. It’s also a mentality thing as well as Ole is trying to sign on pitch leaders which is something Rice definitely is already at 21 and will only become more so over time.

Rice is a physical beast who’s never injured, has endless stamina, covers ridiculous ground and is a very unselfish player who’s already established in the league and already one of the best in his position in the league.

Yes he will cost more than Zakaria or Soumaré etc but at 21 years old could play for us for over a decade and we’re much more of a long term planning club with Ole in charge, with Garner also around as back up maybe from next season we could be stocked at defensive midfield for the next decade.

Jonno

His age, ability, potential and leadership stack up well.

I think he'd be a terrific signing. He would complete a big chunk of our jigsaw.

It goes without saying, he'll be at an elite club for the majority of his career, I hope its us.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The thing about Ole is I trust his player recruitment explicitly. If he thinks Rice is good enough and is United material then he's quite likely right.
it feels more and more like the Fergie recruitment is back. They’ll only sign him if he’s desperate to come in and become world class. If we think he’s the one and he becomes unsettled I reckon he could be got for around 50/60 million. Really expensive but an international with his best years ahead. It could look like very solid business in 5 years.

Hughes35

Rice for about 50 - 60 million would be great business. Hopefully the Lingard links are part of this deal. Cheap loan on Lingard / a cut price deal on him in the summer in return for a reasonable purchase of Rice.

He'd be straight in the first team, long term replace Matic and we would have him for 10 years.

UpWithRivers

Of course he's not a Pogba replacement? Who'd even think he would be. They're nothing alike.
I know he's nothing like Pogba but thats my point. Whats the plan if we buy him? 50-80 mill on rice + a Pogba replacement? Although he would be a good signing there is just so many other priorities. Pogba replacement, RW, CB, possibly a striker if Haalands is available...then a DM

Same as Grealish. Would love him. But where do they fit and who do they replace and what position do we sacrifice upgrading to get them.

BFernandes

Going back 12-18 months when we first started to get linked with Rice most people on here didn't want to go anywhere near him.

Not seen a lot of him or West Ham except when we're playing him, has he improved significantly during that time for peoples opinions to change?

Ali Dia

Going back 12-18 months when we first started to get linked with Rice most people on here didn't want to go anywhere near him.

Not seen a lot of him or West Ham except when we're playing him, has he improved significantly during that time for peoples opinions to change?
West Ham have been surpassing expectations in the league since last March and It’s only natural a young England international would get linked with us anyway. I think he’ll probably end up being a little too expensive this summer and the club will be monitoring the situation (argh!).... I think he’ll go to Chelsea. It looks like their recurrent structure is over the managers head and they have a long standing interest in the player. I think if we do really want him now is the time to start making moves.

BFernandes

West Ham have been surpassing expectations in the league since last March and It’s only natural a young England international would get linked with us anyway. I think he’ll probably end up being a little too expensive this summer and the club will be monitoring the situation (argh!).... I think he’ll go to Chelsea. It looks like their recurrent structure is over the managers head and they have a long standing interest in the player. I think if we do really want him now is the time to start making moves.
Didn't Lampard clash with the board regarding Rice over the summer because the board didn't want to fork out for a player they had released from their academy?

If so can't see them going for him, especially now with Tuchel in charge.

Ali Dia

Didn't Lampard clash with the board regarding Rice over the summer because the board didn't want to fork out for a player they had released from their academy?

If so can't see them going for him, especially now with Tuchel in charge.
I wonder how much of a say if any he’ll have in building a team. I’m sure he will have a few targets in mind that play more to his liking but Roman will want a return on his splurge last summer. If they are out of the Rice race then it’s only really us or Arsenal who could use him regularly and we all know if that’s the case he’ll most likely end up here.

croadyman

That's what I was thinking yesterday. Matic, Lingard and 30m should do it!
Yeah would be very surprised if his name hasn't been brought up in discussions regarding Jesse and this loan deal, completely understand people who think they will overprice him and wouldn't have any issue in paying a top fee whatsoever if it was our only hole in the first team. The trouble is we also have problems at CB & RW which will need addressing so need to be shrewd with our recruitment in this area as well.

Ali Dia

I said it a while back and I don’t think Pogba is staying but Rice Pogba Bruno could work really well. It’s most Unfair on Fred who’s been one of our most consistent performers and someone I think we miss a lot when he doesn’t play but on paper at least that’s the strongest lineup. Maybe he’s not the most essential transfer as we have a few other issues but if Ole and his team believe in him then I’m all for it. Future captain material. We need as much of that as possible.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Sold on Rice having seen more of him over Ndidi, had good luck with players from West Ham in the past too.

Tevez, Carrick, Ferdinand (Carrick and Ferdinand moved elsewhere first) but the last 2 did have good legacies at United.

Man Yusuf united

The problem with us (epl fans) we to focus more on the out side players more than the players we have in our league..everybody don't like rice because he's playing in west ham people are saying we need zakariya but do you think right ole is would be looking for zakariya if is true that he want to sign another six! I find that hard to believe sometimes is going with the connections and who do you think is more connected to man utd between those two? Is the same thing we didn't go for kolibali or de light and opted for magurre is connections..

Polar

Rice for about 50 - 60 million would be great business. Hopefully the Lingard links are part of this deal. Cheap loan on Lingard / a cut price deal on him in the summer in return for a reasonable purchase of Rice.

He'd be straight in the first team, long term replace Matic and we would have him for 10 years.
Yes that would be great business :)

I’ve started to change my stance on him, because even how hard I’ve tried, I haven’t been able to find a better solution on our CDM issue. The best of all, he is young, hungry and ready for a move. His mentality is probably perfect for United.

A new Keane?

croadyman

Sold on Rice having seen more of him over Ndidi, had good luck with players from West Ham in the past too.

Tevez, Carrick, Ferdinand (Carrick and Ferdinand moved elsewhere first) but the last 2 did have good legacies at United.
I would have thrown Ince in there as well but personally think he burnt his bridges when joining the scousers

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'll be the first to admit I've barely watched Rice play and I normally find it difficult to pay much attention to opposition midfielders when they play us, so just watching him today against Palace. He actually seems to provide more in an attacking sense than I thought, and enjoys getting forward when the opportunity is there. That's definitely a good thing if he were to play next to another defensively sound midfielder like Fred, but he may have to curb that a bit if we wanted him to play as a pure DM with a more attacking partner like many want to do.

croadyman

I'll be the first to admit I've barely watched Rice play and I normally find it difficult to pay much attention to opposition midfielders when they play us, so just watching him today against Palace. He actually seems to provide more in an attacking sense than I thought, and enjoys getting forward when the opportunity is there. That's definitely a good thing if he were to play next to another defensively sound midfielder like Fred, but he may have to curb that a bit if we wanted him to play as a pure DM with a more attacking partner like many want to do.
Personally think he is flexible enough to do either job for us, so in games against lower opposition he could be given the opportunity to get forward more but in the bigger games he would just sit as a pure DM and offer that protection to the back four. Hopefully we can negotiate a fair price for the summer if Jesse does move on loan to West Ham before the window closes but that's if Chelsea are really out of the race which I still doubt.

Last edited:

76side

Don't know much about this fella at all but in my opinion on his day Pogba is the business, he can do it all.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's not even WHU best defensive midfielder. Not saying we should get Souček but pretty remarkable debut season scoring already 7 goals from DM. Rice is a better fit because he's a better passer but people who claim he can be our no6 playing there alone will be surprised, how much exposed we can get.

I'd rather we go all out for Ndidi who is a defensive monster, covers the ground very well and decent passer too. Would be a great alternative to Fred if he needs rest and if we need to switch to high energy pressing team, they could play together. Also don't think he would cost as much as he only came from injury and Leicester coped without him pretty well. Shouldn't go for more than Chillwell. 35-40 mil should do and Rodgers can reinvest in their striker. We have a very young player with a great fit to our style, who won't cost 65+ million like Rice.

Need to save some money for an attacker and a top CB.

croadyman

He's not even WHU best defensive midfielder. Not saying we should get Souček but pretty remarkable debut season scoring already 7 goals from DM. Rice is a better fit because he's a better passer but people who claim he can be our no6 playing there alone will be surprised, how much exposed we can get.

I'd rather we go all out for Ndidi who is a defensive monster, covers the ground very well and decent passer too. Would be a great alternative to Fred if he needs rest and if we need to switch to high energy pressing team, they could play together. Also don't think he would cost as much as he only came from injury and Leicester coped without him pretty well. Shouldn't go for more than Chillwell. 35-40 mil should do and Rodgers can reinvest in their striker. We have a very young player with a great fit to our style, who won't cost 65+ million like Rice.

Need to save some money for an attacker and a top CB.
Think that Leicester would still want similar money to Maguire for him as he's their main CDM and they clearly don't need to sell at all, however hope that we do look at options outside of the Premier League as well because as Bruno has shown there is real value out to be had.

davidmichael

The Star are running the story now of Rice not wanted by Chelsea due to Lampard’s sacking, we could get a free run at Rice and fix that position for the next decade.

Dante

Average bang
From what I saw of Marquinhos at PSG, he seemed to have a lot of similarities to Rice. I wouldn't be so sure that Chelsea have ended their interest now that Tuchel is in charge.

RkkMan

From what I saw of Marquinhos at PSG, he seemed to have a lot of similarities to Rice. I wouldn't be so sure that Chelsea have ended their interest now that Tuchel is in charge.
Umm Lampard was the only one pioneering his signing its been covered multiple times now by The Athletic and Telegraph the former said it went to the extent where the bosses warned Lampard he`d lose his job if he didnt stop asking for Rice and there`s also a part it said they didnt want to face the embarrassment of spending big bucks on a former academy graduate as it would be bad for PR. Rice to Chelsea is dead in the water and he`s not a Tuchel type of player who will likely want someone from the Bundesliga like Zakaria

RkkMan

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure what's the embarrassment in re-signing Rice. They sold Lukaku to Everton and couple of years later they were ready tp pay huge money to sign him back. If they are given chance, they will pay huge money to sign KdB, Salah.

Kyonn

Zakaria > Rice is prime Emperor's New Clothes "haven't seen much of him but he's great on FIFA, has nice highlight videos and a Football Twitter hypetrain".

Stats from 2019/20 season where West Ham narrowly avoided relegation in 16th place, while BMG were unanimously praised for finishing 4th, scoring 66 goals (the same amount we did).
Progressive Passing
Rice 212 yards per game - playing for a slow paced Moyes, West Ham team
Zakaria 175 yards per game - playing for a hyperfast transition Rose, BMG team

Adjusted for pace and possession, I'm sure Rice becomes even more dominant here.

Pressured Passing (literally passes played while under pressure...one of the better 'press resistant' metrics for the DM role)
Rice 8.5 per game, at an 84% success rate
Zakaria 7 per game, at a 72% success rate

Switches (switches of play more than 40 yards...something both Carrick and Scholes excelled at)
Rice 2.1 per game, at an 85% success rate
Zakaria 0.8 per game, at an 71% success rate

You could say Zakaria's comparatively low number here could be down to style of play - but his success rate is also low.

Weak Foot
For me, this is a key technique metric and a big difference maker between them.

Zakaria's one of the most one-footed players in Europe - using his right foot 98% of the time. He literally attempted 19 passes all season with his left foot - completing just 8 (42%). By contrast, Rice attempted 300 left footed passes, completing 244 (83%...barely any lower than his right foot %)

Dribbling
Zakaria attempts 2.9 dribbles per game, at a 74% success rate.
Rice attempts 1.4 dribbles per game, at a 77% success rate.

Dribbling and carrying the ball is the one area where Zakaria excels over Rice - but the success rates are interesting and could point to a tactical reason for the disparity.

Rice is more progressive and better technically than Zakaria - unless you put unbelievably high value on dribbling - and I don't think anyone would argue about who excels at the defensive aspect of the role.

I've seen a lot of people saying that they think Rice made a big jump this season...if that's the case, these stats likely become even better for Rice. Especially given that Zakaria's coming off a bad injury and is struggling for form.
Great post. How do you think Rice compares to Kalvin Philips?

Hughes35

Yes that would be great business :)

I’ve started to change my stance on him, because even how hard I’ve tried, I haven’t been able to find a better solution on our CDM issue. The best of all, he is young, hungry and ready for a move. His mentality is probably perfect for United.

A new Keane?
I think he's that player that if we signed him would probably get quite a bit of criticism, like Carrick did for many years. Then people will slowly start to see that he does the subtle part of the game well. Not very flashy but most top teams have a player like that.

Gordon S

Looks very promising at the moment. Just turned 22 so there should be improvements next couple of years if all goes well.
IF he keeps improving he could well be worth a fee north of 50m, but who knows what will happen. Right now it would be a bit of a gamble.
Luckily for us the people in charge of finding the right transfer targets seems to be quite smart.

RkkMan

Not sure what's the embarrassment in re-signing Rice. They sold Lukaku to Everton and couple of years later they were ready tp pay huge money to sign him back. If they are given chance, they will pay huge money to sign KdB, Salah.
They never once gave any signals they were against signing Lukaku at the time though they`ve done so with Rice for months now so it would be counter productive PR wise to go for him again. If they didnt have their minds changed by Lampard I dont see how Tuchel(who will likely prefer someone else from the German League) will fair better

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Think that Leicester would still want similar money to Maguire for him as he's their main CDM and they clearly don't need to sell at all, however hope that we do look at options outside of the Premier League as well because as Bruno has shown there is real value out to be had.
Do you reckon? Choudhury played a lot last season, granted Ndidi was in an out with injury and Mendy played more as a DM, they got it covered pretty much and surely have replacement lined up. In the current climate certainly would demand less money than for more of a "star" player like Chillwell. Maguire was a captain no? and one of the best players in the league in his position. Ndidi is too but playing without him could tempt them to let him go for less. Depending how close to the title they will be, but surely make top4 this year. 40 mil at most I think. Rice is just English which is getting him the hype.

TrustInOle

His age, ability, potential and leadership stack up well.

I think he'd be a terrific signing. He would complete a big chunk of our jigsaw.

It goes without saying, he'll be at an elite club for the majority of his career, I hope its us.
Here's hoping Lingard impresses enough that they are open to buy in the summer, knock that Rice fee down abit. :drool:

I agree though, he is my 1st choice D/CM, think he will be perfect for playing next to Pogba, if he is sticking around.

When you think about it, this team is very close to being a complete team, for the first time in 8 years.

Ali Dia

The players being linked: Grealish Rice Sancho etc are all the familiar and successful profile for us and it keeps us close the top of the food chain when it comes to national team players. Obviously they are the more expensive targets but they also come with the least risk. I doubt we’d be getting any starter from Rodgers for any less than 50 and for that kind of money plus lingard I think we could get Rice. We might even be in Camavinga territory for about 60 and he looks pretty nailed on to be world class. Barca might sell De Jong for what they paid for him. He’d be the best signing of the lot

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think the club are invested in McTominay for that role, despite (imo) Rice being far more effective.

Would make so much sense as a Matic replacement. Too much sense, therefore won't happen.

davidmichael

I think the club are invested in McTominay for that role, despite (imo) Rice being far more effective.

Would make so much sense as a Matic replacement. Too much sense, therefore won't happen.
I think if the club thought McTominay was going to play that role they’d play him with Pogba and Fernandes instead of having to play McTominay and Fred together so that they are solid in front of the defence, they have to play two people together because neither of them are a pure out and out defensive midfielder like Matic is and like Rice is.

It’s clear for anyone to see that McTominay is a box to box midfielder with ball winning abilities and lacks a lot in being able to be a pure out and out defensive midfielder which is why Matic is pulled in when we’re playing Pogba in a midfield two and Fernandes ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.