Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I think if the club thought McTominay was going to play that role they’d play him with Pogba and Fernandes instead of having to play McTominay and Fred together so that they are solid in front of the defence, they have to play two people together because neither of them are a pure out and out defensive midfielder like Matic is and like Rice is.

It’s clear for anyone to see that McTominay is a box to box midfielder with ball winning abilities and lacks a lot in being able to be a pure out and out defensive midfielder which is why Matic is pulled in when we’re playing Pogba in a midfield two and Fernandes ahead of him.
Yeah you could see in the Leeds game that Scott is much better in that box to box role whereas Rice for me is a very different player who is very capable of playing that Matic role which is what we need most

croadyman

Do you reckon? Choudhury played a lot last season, granted Ndidi was in an out with injury and Mendy played more as a DM, they got it covered pretty much and surely have replacement lined up. In the current climate certainly would demand less money than for more of a "star" player like Chillwell. Maguire was a captain no? and one of the best players in the league in his position. Ndidi is too but playing without him could tempt them to let him go for less. Depending how close to the title they will be, but surely make top4 this year. 40 mil at most I think. Rice is just English which is getting him the hype.
We should be all over it for that fee but just cannot see them letting their top DM go for half of what they got for Harry but certainly admire your optimism on this one

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I always believe his destiny is to join Chelsea. But knowing lot of news say that Chelsea board is against the idea of spending lot on signing back Rice the player they got rid from the academy, I have a feeling he might end up at United or Liverpool or City.

croadyman

Well Jesse has joined them on loan so now is the chance to strike whilst the iron is hot in regards to Declan

Lee565

I wouldn't mind signing him but for the centre back position which is the position where he wants to play long term

croadyman

I wouldn't mind signing him but for the centre back position which is the position where he wants to play long term
So you are saying that we should sign him as a CB but get someone else for the DM role too

Devil may care

We don't have a CM that fits with Rice, if Pogba stayed it might work but it seems unlikely that'll happen at this point.

macheda14

We don't have a CM that fits with Rice, if Pogba stayed it might work but it seems unlikely that'll happen at this point.
He could progress to being able to play as the single pivot behind two attacking midfielders:
Bruno - VDB
Rice

we haven’t seen it enough but I feel VDB and Bruno could play really well together and it could encourage Bruno to be a liiiiitle bit less wasteful when playing in the bigger games.

DomM

I think we should to get this guy, he's going to be a good player for the next ten-years and offers something we don't have, seems very composed too for a young player.

LonelyFire

I don’t get why so many want Rice. He’s average in midfield. We need a ball playing No.6 - that is not Rice.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I don’t get why so many want Rice. He’s average in midfield. We need a ball playing No.6 - that is not Rice.
I'm not so sure. I think he's got a really solid all-round midfield game. The times I've seen him I've been impressed with his passing. Probably don't see him hitting his most fluid potential at West Ham.

Comfortably the most promising CM England have had coming through in the last decade, although that's really not saying much.

LonelyFire

I'm not so sure. I think he's got a really solid all-round midfield game. The times I've seen him I've been impressed with his passing. Probably don't see him hitting his most fluid potential at West Ham.

Comfortably the most promising CM England have had coming through in the last decade, although that's really not saying much.
What do you think he offers that we don’t already have? As a box to box player, I don’t rate him any better than McTominay (interestingly a few Liverpool supporting mates of mine have said exactly the same). As I said, the glaring omission in our squad is the deep lying playmaker role and it’s hilarious if people think Rice is that player. As for being the most promising midfielder for England, I’m not sure I share the sentiment but as you say, it’s a low bar.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What do you think he offers that we don’t already have? As a box to box player, I don’t rate him any better than McTominay (interestingly a few Liverpool supporting mates of mine have said exactly the same). As I said, the glaring omission in our squad is the deep lying playmaker role and it’s hilarious if people think Rice is that player. As for being the most promising midfielder for England, I’m not sure I share the sentiment but as you say, it’s a low bar.
I think he would be a more natural replacement for Matic going forward than either McTominay or Fred. I also think he has a much higher ceiling than McTominay, although I do rate McSauce especially for big games.

With Matic becoming more of a bit-part player and Pogba likely off in the summer, I think bringing in someone like Rice to our midfield would add a level of calm and consistency that it's going to be lacking, assuming players continue on their current trajectories/leave. Although I did think the same of Schneiderlin to be fair.

But Rice is comfortably better defensively than anyone we have currently, and our CBs have proven on numerous occasions that they could use the protection. He's also good cover for them as, again, we know how hard it is for the likes of Bailly an Lindelof to string together injury-free runs. Assuming it doesn't break the bank, he'd a be a solid addition and could help the likes of Van de Beek/Pogba replacement settle.

LonelyFire

I think he would be a more natural replacement for Matic going forward than either McTominay or Fred. I also think he has a much higher ceiling than McTominay, although I do rate McSauce especially for big games.

With Matic becoming more of a bit-part player and Pogba likely off in the summer, I think bringing in someone like Rice to our midfield would add a level of calm and consistency that it's going to be lacking, assuming players continue on their current trajectories/leave. Although I did think the same of Schneiderlin to be fair.

But Rice is comfortably better defensively than anyone we have currently, and our CBs have proven on numerous occasions that they could use the protection. He's also good cover for them as, again, we know how hard it is for the likes of Bailly an Lindelof to string together injury-free runs. Assuming it doesn't break the bank, he'd a be a solid addition and could help the likes of Van de Beek/Pogba replacement settle.
I don’t see him as having more potential than McTominay. I honestly think he’s just another reasonable young English player that is getting hyped beyond belief. West Ham will be asking for £70m or so for him. Would be a ridiculous fee to pay and we have to stay clear in my opinion. Game of opinions I suppose.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s a leader and defensively solid. A better sitting midfielder than anyone we have. People underrate his passing. It’s as expansive as Keanes ever was.

people are saying the same negative things now that they used to say about grealish

Litch

Not sure but players can look great whilst wearing shirts of teams where the expectation is just to have a good cup run and finishing in top 10. I think we underestimate the weight of the Utd shirt which has found out players who have played for big teams. Harry's incident aboard would have barely made the news if he was still at Leicester. Let's see but any players that signs in either CDM, right wing or CB in the summer, has massive expectations on their shoulders!!!!!

Devil may care

What type of midfielder do you think would suit slotting in alongside Rice and behind Bruno?
The prototype would be Modric, a #8 playmaker who can orchestrate the game but also support Rice in defensive duties. Rice isn't bad on the ball but he's no DLP, pairing him with Fred or McTominay would leave a huge hole in our passing play from deeper, getting the ball consistently through the lines to the front 4 would become a big problem imo.

BlahRules

How much will he cost? Reports are saying £60m but I think it will be £80m when we make an official interest.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's WU most composed player in that half.
Interested to see what he's like in a team that is more on the front foot.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He would be an upgrade on Fred and McT but that's about it. He still has a long way to reach that best in class - like Fabinho or a peak Casemiro or Fernandinho.

James Peril

How much will he cost? Reports are saying £60m but I think it will be £80m when we make an official interest.
As I always keep saying, we are the club that paid 80M for Harry Maguire. Rice is more advanced in the pitch and he is not worse than Maguire, hence 80M is the going rate. West Ham don’t need to sell, so again, why would they accept less than 80M when they know we have the money and make stupid decisions when the finger is on the trigger. We made our bed with Maguire, at least for ten years when it comes to selling clubs, especially when going for English players playing in the Premier League. Bad actions have real consequences.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rice is clearly a good player with a good attitude and will no doubt keep improving, but he's not getting anyone off the edge of their seat, and for the price people are talking about I just wouldn't want to go near him. If he was available for the same sort of price as Van Der Beek went for then why not, but for £80m I can happily go without. I'm sure there are players as good or better out there for a lot less than that. Less than half of that in fact most likely.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's barely on upgrade on what we already have to be honest. For 60m+ we need somebody who's better, not another option.

hobbers

He's not worth half of the £70-80m+ fee West Ham would demand for him. Hope we have no real interest in him. Leave him to be Chelsea's next transfer blunder.

Matic needs replacing but there's so much better value for money out there. Better players at better prices. We've wasted enough on AWB and Maguire. Buying overhyped overvalued English players is a shit transfer strategy.

I just don’t see it, not for the price.

I just struggle to believe you can’t find a player elsewhere that does what he does for half the price. Nothing about him is “exceptional”.

I might be wrong, I don’t watch him anywhere near enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.