Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

Also around £200 million lighter too, I love Grealish as a player but he won’t get in ahead of Rashford on the left or Fernandes as a 10 so is simply as expensive luxury player when we’ve got far more pressing positions that need filling first.
Considering how inconsistent our attackers are, I wouldn't call Grealish a luxury player, he would probably displace one of Martial, Greenwood or even Rashford if he settles in well. However I doubt we can get them for 200m combined.

OrcaFat

I’ve definitely come around to the idea of spending big to get Rice. If Pogba stays, I think Rice would be a very good choice to play 6. We lack composure and leadership in midfield, and I think this boy could provide that. He has the physical attributes and enough ability, even if he’s not quite Toni Kroos yet.

He’ll cost a lot but I don’t think we’d regret it at all.

OrcaFat

If we had Rice would it be possible to play Pogba and Bruno as a 3 man midfield like we did with Matic after the restart last year? We were scintillating for a time with that setup.
Ah, you posted this while I was typing. The answer is yes, and very much what I have in mind.

jesperjaap

And thank God for that because that would just be sabotaging our season before it starts, leaving midfield dangerously light with Rice and Mctominay who truth to told should not be a starter alongside semi retired Matic.
I have no doubt that our new transfer team would not be so incompetent.
Sorry, didnt mean selling the three of them to buy one replacement

davidmichael

Considering how inconsistent our attackers are, I wouldn't call Grealish a luxury player, he would probably displace one of Martial, Greenwood or even Rashford if he settles in well. However I doubt we can get them for 200m combined.
Going out and spending anywhere between £80 million and £100 million on Grealish when we’ve got a centre back with pace, a pure out and out defensive midfielder, a quality right sided attacker and a striker as priority positions to fill is a luxury signing.

The only player Grealish would maybe replace if signed is Rashford but Rashford is basically the face of the club, a local lad, loved by Ole and our only consistent scorer in our forward line whilst Grealish isn’t getting in ahead of Fernandes either as a 10, neither Martial or Greenwood have any relevance as Grealish isn’t a striker and would be shoehorned into the team if playing on the right and therefore a complete luxury or waste of money and Grealish’s talents.

It isn’t unrealistic to pay £100 million combined for Sancho and Rice as West Ham want Lingard and Dortmund could be bang in trouble as they’re a selling club at the best of times so after not selling anyone but missing out on a CL place and having no fans for a year £50-£60 million for Sancho is very possible, £40 million plus Lingard is realistic for Rice too although I do think it’d take £50 million plus Lingard.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Agree with this, but he has also been imperious for England where the expectations are more on a level with United
Not when we've played a half decent nation. He's only ever been good against the nation's you'd expect us to be a cut above.

Bwuk

50m + Lingard.

We’d also be able to let Matic go on a free to lower our wage bill if we got Rice.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think they would. Especially if Rice asks for the move.
That's a deal worth £80m easy.
I think they’d look at it from the point of view where we want Lingard gone and would be more prepared to sell him separately even if they kept Rice. Worst case scenario for them he sits on our bench for a year and joins them on a free with Rice still in their squad. Maybe they’ll sell but all the noises out of WHU are that they want him to stay at all costs.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A quick look at a West Ham forum shows they're talking about 60-80m + Lingard. Moyes and the owners have also spoken about him being worth 100m.

Obviously those prices are insane and unrealistic. But no more so than suggesting 30m + Lingard, which they obviously won't accept.

If we were to sign Rice, it would be for an amount many here consider to be too much, in much the same way Maguire was. Because West Ham fundamentally value him more than caf posters do. And if the club want him it's West Ham's valuation that counts.

Though I suppose Rice has a longer career ahead of him over which to justify the overspend. If we got 10+ years of a top quality DM then I doubt many would still be complaining about the fee in 2032 or whenever.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
£30m + Lingard would be more than generous.
I think they will look at what City paid for Rodri and argue Rice is worth the same. At least would have been, pre-covid. Rodri is maybe more talented and was at a better team, but Rice being english and PL-proven inflates his value.

I also think Rice is a bit underrated by some in here. Perhaps due to the style of West Ham. Pellegrini once said he is the most talented player he has ever coached.

gajender

I think they will look at what City paid for Rodri and argue Rice is worth the same. At least would have been, pre-covid. Rodri is maybe more talented and was at a better team, but Rice being english and PL-proven inflates his value.

I also think Rice is a bit underrated by some in here. Perhaps due to the style of West Ham. Pellegrini once said he is the most talented player he has ever coached.
City paid €62 m for Rodri considering Covid impact on market Lingard + £30-35 m is the maximum United should offer for Rice and I rate Rice quite highly but we should not be paying anything beyond £50m .

OrcaFat

Lingard plus c. £55m would be about fair. That’s valuing Lingard at c. £30m and assumes his form holds up until the deal is made; he tends to have bursts of very good form followed by (rather longer periods of) relatively weak performances.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How is he vs Leicester?

I know Lingard is their diamond right now but does Rice make it easier for them?

davidmichael

Rather keep Jesse.....
We’d only play him on the right hand side and waste him then complain when doesn’t perform as he is now, Lingard is a 10 or false 9 not a winger and he’d only be back to Fernandes (I’d rather Lingard than VDB though) as we play one up top in front of three behind and Lingard isn’t a centre forward.

Dante

Average bang
The fact that West Ham can put in this sort of performance without Rice in the team might make it more likely that they'd be willing to sell him.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Controlling the midfield against a Leicester side that ran all over us. An absolute must buy. lol not really.

Red Stone

Controlling the midfield against a Leicester side that ran all over us. An absolute must buy. lol not really.
If Rice can dominate Leicester while out injured I can't wait to see what he does when he's fit.

Get out of here with your white text.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If Rice can dominate Leicester while out injured I can't wait to see what he does when he's fit.
I know right! Meanwhile we have to watch McNuggets in midfield every week.

Drainy

Yes, Noble and Soucek are more than capable of the 'sit deep and defend the edge of the box' game, that Rice also usually plays with them.

The question for whether he's a good fit at united for CDM is whether Rice has the defensive capability to cover a midfield in an attacking team where everyone bombs forward, while also having the technical ability to maintain possession and progress the ball well against a low block. I think he can and will develop further into a top defensive midfielder.

davidmichael

What I’ve taken from West Ham/Leicester is that N’Didi isn’t as good as made out to be and definitely not a better option than Rice from everything I’ve seen of both players.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
£100m for this guy :lol:

He's decent. He's a CB though and he has no experience there so...

Not in the same league as some of the other players we've been linked with like Grealish, Sancho, Kane. I'd really like us to be having a look at Aouar as well if he might be available, he's a brilliant, energetic centre mid.

flappyjay

If lingard keeps this up to the end of the season they will be desperate to keep him. They are going to have to be flexible to make a deal too. Goals are hard to come by.

Redfrog

If lingard keeps this up to the end of the season they will be desperate to keep him. They are going to have to be flexible to make a deal too. Goals are hard to come by.
He is their best player and their game changer. He has more value for them then Rice right now.

RooneyLegend

They should hand him over for free, we own their best player ffs. They should probably ask us to throw Garner in as well to help with a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.