Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Word coming out he's not leaving for under 100m euros, so if Rice is more then I agree that we shouldn't get him.
100 million for Rice? I’ve seen 40 quotes for Camavinga who has a year left on his deal and supposedly he won’t be signing a new one. I’d love us to sign Rice. I reckon he’s underrated by quite a few people on here and could really become a complete player but at that price I’d be “relaxed about the situation”

Terry Chango

Wow that’s either a sad indictment of the quality of midfielders in the league or Keane is being super humble.

Declan Rice is light years away from being anywhere near as good as Keane. Roy was better at every aspect of the game including tackling which is probably Rice only strong point.

Honestly the overrating of Rice here is just bizarre. I mean what about him is special?

I honestly think the huge lack of pure defensive midfielders across Europe at the moment is what’s driving this hype around Rice (and as usual the fact he’s English.)

FFS Man. Just lazy Posting. That’s clearly BS

theklr

60m for Rice? No way any club with real ambitions would folk that kind of money for a nothing player, Did you guys watch Kimmich last night? That's a proper DM, break up play, can pass it short or long, can dribble in tight spaces. If we've got up wards of £60m to spend on a player we should bid for Kimmich.
Euhm, what? Might just put in a £60m for Lewandowski as well then , since Bayern seemingly has some major issues??

OrcaFat

There’s quite a few posts in this thread which make Rice sound like below average fodder. I’m not sure what’s motivating that but he’s been called slow, absolute base level DM, some saying they are concerned about his positioning, would crumble when pressed (?!) or offers nothing except breaking up play.

I’ve seen him a few times now and none of these negatives apply. He is plenty quick enough (and very agile, sharp in his movements), in the top three or four DMs in the Prem (even at his tender age), has great positional sense, is often pressed and doesn’t crumble, offers plenty beyond breaking up play, including decent, measured passing, composure and leadership.

I do see the similarities with Keane, apart from temperament, of course. Rice has that focus and busyness about his play, a similar sharpness of movement and a relentless attitude of the type common to winners.

Rice with Pogba and Bruno would be fricking brilliant.

And someone said McT is much better than Rice which, I’m afraid, is horseshit. I like McT, and he’s a different type to Rice, but he is a class below at the moment.

RUCK4444

FFS Man. Just lazy Posting. That’s clearly BS
Your location gives away your bias.

Go on then, is he any better than McTominay? Can he ping balls from deep like Carrick? Is he not as slow as Matic at half his age?

It's not lazy posting, it's an opinion of what I've seen time and time again from him. He tackles well and his distribution is ok-ish but nothing special and he's slow.

If you think that's worth 60-80 million then that's your opinion.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Your location gives away your bias.

Go on then, is he any better than McTominay? Can he ping balls from deep like Carrick? Is he not as slow as Matic at half his age?

It's not lazy posting, it's an opinion of what I've seen time and time again from him. He tackles well and his distribution is ok-ish but nothing special and he's slow.

If you think that's worth 60-80 million then that's your opinion.
He’s not slow, far from it. He’s faster than Roy Keane ever was:D

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Euhm, what? Might just put in a £60m for Lewandowski as well then , since Bayern seemingly has some major issues??
So if you're giving up wards of 60m to spend on a DM, you'll sign Rice??

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Wow that’s either a sad indictment of the quality of midfielders in the league or Keane is being super humble.

Declan Rice is light years away from being anywhere near as good as Keane. Roy was better at every aspect of the game including tackling which is probably Rice only strong point.

Honestly the overrating of Rice here is just bizarre. I mean what about him is special?

I honestly think the huge lack of pure defensive midfielders across Europe at the moment is what’s driving this hype around Rice (and as usual the fact he’s English.)
Keane wasn’t the complete article when we bought him either

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Im saying there is no point is talking about fully unrealistic targets :)
If your point is talking about a more realistic player in Rice for upwards of 60m then I'll rather we test Bayern with that money for Kimmich and see how they react to that money.

Tarrou

I don't think we're in for a midfielder this summer

CB and Striker are the priorities and we won't have a huge budget

If Pogba leaves then maybe

Drainy

I don't think we're in for a midfielder this summer

CB and Striker are the priorities and we won't have a huge budget

If Pogba leaves then maybe
If Pogba leaves I would like us to solidify the midfield with Rice as an upgrade on Fred, but we would also need to add creativity to the attacking wide positions.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I’ve seen him a few times now and none of these negatives apply. He is plenty quick enough (and very agile, sharp in his movements), in the top three or four DMs in the Prem (even at his tender age), has great positional sense, is often pressed and doesn’t crumble, offers plenty beyond breaking up play, including decent, measured passing, composure and leadership.
His tender age? He's 22 not 17. He'd be about 6 months younger than VDB was when we signed him. He's played well over 100 games for a PL side and is an established England international.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he's actually good on the ball as some claim he is, then of course he'd be a great addition as he seems to be superb defensively, but I've not seen enough to vet that claim for myself.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder if people could ignore his nationality people would be fairer, it seems he's got some harsher critics because he's a brave young lion.
And you see players like Bellingham and Foden dominating the CL.

England national team is turning up a level and if Rice is deemed good by Ole then this is the defensive guy that helps hold all the Rashford's, Sanchos, Grealish, Greenwood's and Bellinghams in shape.

If we go for him then in my eyes he will be good enough as simple as that sounds.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I really like Rice, and to a degree would like this signing. My reservation is that, in my mind he's too similar to Scott Mctominay (who I think has a great future here). Am I wrong about this?

Drizzle

I really like Rice, and to a degree would like this signing. My reservation is that, in my mind he's too similar to Scott Mctominay (who I think has a great future here). Am I wrong about this?
Not similar at all. Rice is much more positionally savvy, a much better tackler and just more organised in the way he plays football.

Scott is a box-to-box energy player, brings intensity. But his passing and positional play isn't particularly good. Not without quality, but I don't think he's first xi for a league winner.

Judas

Open to offers
And you see players like Bellingham and Foden dominating the CL.

England national team is turning up a level and if Rice is deemed good by Ole then this is the defensive guy that helps hold all the Rashford's, Sanchos, Grealish, Greenwood's and Bellinghams in shape.

If we go for him then in my eyes he will be good enough as simple as that sounds.
Exactly. England is producing some of the best talent in the world, we're the envy of many nations with the calibre of players coming through right now. Being English isn't a negative right now, it's not like he's some mid 90's clogger.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Scott is a box-to-box energy player, brings intensity. But his passing and positional play isn't particularly good. Not without quality, but I don't think he's first xi for a league winner.
I think McTominay is getting better all the time, but I agree with your describtion. I also think McTominay needs to be allowed to drive forward more to realize his full potential. His movement in and around the box is good and he is a good finisher.

A player like Rice would benefit him I think.

OrcaFat

His tender age? He's 22 not 17. He'd be about 6 months younger than VDB was when we signed him. He's played well over 100 games for a PL side and is an established England international.
Get over, at 22 he’s got eight years of improving in him.

hubbuh

If Camavinga is ungettable, then Rice would make a lot of sense (assuming the economics of it work with Lingard going the other way).

Pogba potentially leaving is a big worry. If he's going then a creative midfielder is arguably more important than a DM.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Declan’s technically a baller. He goes under the radar being English, is seen as only a unit by some of the cafe members because he doesn’t overplay due to being a disciplined player when asked to do so by his manager.

He’s so much more than just a physical and positional DM/CM. Not quite carrick but his passing is superb despite some of the views on here.

It’s hard to see via only game clips just how technically spot on the lad is. However if you can stomach the presenters on this F2 video then do so and let Declan speak for himself as to whether he is technically good enough for United. I’m aware it’s just a short insight into his technical ability but some of the posts basically calling him a donkey are well off the mark.

He’d be a great fit for our squad. No brainer for me if the price is right and can cover 3 positions.

Agree with this. Having watched him closely for a few seasons I started off with the same doubts as many in this thread but I'm now convinced he's absolutely class. Positioning is Carrick-like, tackling superb, great touch, can dribble, passing is good, and he's a physical beast too - covers so much ground. **

I'd be all for signing him but not sure if it would be wise to spend the whole budget on him as I think we need other positions more urgently.

** Caveat - I wrote a very similar sentence on here when we were linked with Schneiderlin :nervous:

ForeverRed1

Declan’s technically a baller. He goes under the radar being English, is seen as only a unit by some of the cafe members because he doesn’t overplay due to being a disciplined player when asked to do so by his manager.

He’s so much more than just a physical and positional DM/CM. Not quite carrick but his passing is superb despite some of the views on here.

It’s hard to see via only game clips just how technically spot on the lad is. However if you can stomach the presenters on this F2 video then do so and let Declan speak for himself as to whether he is technically good enough for United. I’m aware it’s just a short insight into his technical ability but some of the posts basically calling him a donkey are well off the mark.

He’d be a great fit for our squad. No brainer for me if the price is right and can cover 3 positions.

the f2 lads said he’s technically one of the best players they have had on.

OrcaFat

If Camavinga is ungettable, then Rice would make a lot of sense (assuming the economics of it work with Lingard going the other way).

Pogba potentially leaving is a big worry. If he's going then a creative midfielder is arguably more important than a DM.
Yeah Pogba has reminded me of his value to the side over the last few games. Really hope he stays and commits his heart to the club.

If he leaves we definitely need to replace his qualities, my preference in that case is Grealish who I feel is the nearest thing to a drop in replacement for Pogba and can play wide left, no. 10, or as an 8 with Rice playing 6.

Either way, I think we need Rice. I was sceptical until recently but watching him over the last few months has fully converted me.

Floyd

Well he might but I'd like to think Roy holds himself in higher esteem than Declan Rice.

I assume he means stylistically similar... I just struggle to put the two names together as similar.
Rice is 22, same age as Roy when we bought him in 1993. Roy was a big talent and a good player already then, like Rice. And his first two seasons at United, 93/94 and 94/95, he played well but was overshadowed by the utterly magnificent Paul Ince. Roy even played some games at right back. When Ince was sold in the summer of '95, up steps Roy Keane. World class bonanza for ten years.

If anything Rice is ahead of the curve, being captain/vice-captain of a good Premier League team. Roy's Forest was relegated in his last season there.

Who knows how good he'll end up being, but the signs so far are encouraging to say the least.

And I must admit I think it's funny that my favourite player ever Roy Keane thinks the same thing about Rice as I have done for some time. I'm sure it means a lot to Roy as well. :wenger:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Watching the latest insurgence of Lindelof, I would say CDM along with ST or RW is more imporant.
We still need another CB for sheer numbers. Bailly supposedly wants out - and he simply can’t be relied upon to stay fit anyway. That leaves us with Maguire, Lindelof (seems to be nursing a back injury most of the season), Tuanzebe (who has joined the squad as another perennial crock), and Phil Jones (lol). Mengi will probably go back on loan to Derby too.

Bailly leaving will realistically leave us with only 2 serious CB options. We must remedy that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As per Neville's comments, Sir Alex used to look for the best players in the Premier League. They'll be some who disagree but I believe Rice is one of the best players in the EPL in the position he plays. Therefore, if available, which I think he will be, then we must sign him.
The only problem with this is that the modern game means other Premier League sides can happily hold the big boys like us to ransom with no repercussions. We can’t just go and pinch good level players from lower sides down the table anymore without causing problems. Newcastle United had the audacity to stall us out of Sean Longstaff who had about 10 appearances for £50m. :lol:

This is now where the scouts earn their keep. Rice is undoubtedly a good player (how good is another question entirely), but if he’s going for £60-70m and we typically have a net budget of about £100m~ or so, that’s where we look elsewhere for players of similar quality. I have no idea how good he actually is, as I don’t watch the Bundesliga, but an example may be Denis Zakaria for Gladbach - he has a year left on his contract, plays the same position, and is 24 with some European experience.

There definitely has to be alternatives out there. Especially in a position like defensive midfield.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Get over, at 22 he’s got eight years of improving in him.
That's not how it works. It's not FIFA. Hes an experienced 22 year old. I'm sure you weren't refering to Rashford 'tender age' last season. He's young. He will of course improve, but he's no babe.

Floyd

the f2 lads said he’s technically one of the best players they have had on.
My boys love watching the F2 guys. Either they're the best players in the world or they use 100 takes for each shot. I mean, every shot is perfect, blasted in the corner.

Here's Rice on the show, he's got good tekkers for a DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.