Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Oh wow, one of these bollox clichés when people can't form any argument to the contrary. He looks as meh as they come. He's struck gold with all the exposure he's gotten due to his international future. He really, really is, an example of a modern day media hyped player. I'm guessing the majority that think he's a "top young player" have literally seen some highlights reels, his game against Arsenal and the media hype.
You're one of the people I'm talking about.

He looks as 'meh' as they come? Why because he plays for Westham? He has seriously impressed me when I have watched him. Looks very composed and wise beyond his years. I think he'll be a top top player for years to come. Would love to see him blossom under Ole and with a young exciting United team.

settembrini

We definitely need a better DM than Matic and Rice looks to be extremely strong defensively.

Of course we would still need to add another central midfielder with more creativity as at the moment that burden falls entirely on Pogba.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The caf doesn’t rate him. That means he’ll turn out good if we get him - like when we bought Carrick.
It's 50/50 here. Few rate him, few don't rate him as highly as others.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
As I said before - Declan Rice being the choice of Ole & a clone of Dier isn't some randomised mistake.

Rice allows us to play with a line of 3 CB's that consists of 2 ball playing defenders shielded by a 'false cb'
Could be that Ole might be tempted to go 442 with 2 good wingers (like the ones we’re linked with), rice in the keane-type role winning the ball, keeping it moving. Perhaps there’s something in the Pogba rumors and if so then 442 is an option again

golden_blunder

Staff
I haven't seen enough of him but I like the current transfer strategy if these rumours are to be believed, very similar tactics to Fergie where we placed bigger focus in acquiring the best up and upcoming players from the PL.
Said that a couple of months ago, we should be snapping up the best of British talent. There are good players here. Supplement them with exceptional foreign players

Robbie Boy

You're one of the people I'm talking about.

He looks as 'meh' as they come? Why because he plays for Westham? He has seriously impressed me when I have watched him. Looks very composed and wise beyond his years. I think he'll be a top top player for years to come. Would love to see him blossom under Ole and with a young exciting United team.
Nope. Because he isn't very good and he's been wildly overrated. AWB looks a great talent as do plenty of players at smaller clubs. I would be more into building on promising players than going the Falcao, Di Maria route. But this guy ain't someone we should be chasing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Said that a couple of months ago, we should be snapping up the best of British talent. There are good players here. Supplement them with exceptional foreign players
I have no argument with that. The problem is that most British talent is outrageously expensive, which is bearable if we only have 2-3 signings that need to be made, but becomes unfeasible in such given circumstances

Patrick08

Holds the midfield well, but nothing great with the ball in terms of passing and playmaking. People comparing him to keane are nuts.

-Supreme-

Couldn't agree more, this played an important role in our success.

The midfield is the heart of our team and i would love to see a young British talent to fill this gap.

cyberman

Nope. Because he isn't very good and he's been wildly overrated. AWB looks a great talent as do plenty of players at smaller clubs. I would be more into building on promising players than going the Falcao, Di Maria route. But this guy ain't someone we should be chasing.
I agree. The problem with buying young players from the likes of West Ham is that his good performancs stick in the memory because you're looking for them while average performances are melted into the overall West Ham narrative so are ignored.
Martial and Rashford were the highest profile cases for us. Constant in fights by those who see them every week yet rival fans think we're wasting Hazard / Rooney type talents.

Robbie Boy

Holds the midfield well, but nothing great with the ball in terms of passing and playmaking. People comparing him to keane are nuts.
Dier is a perfectly fair example. He could perform a function for a bigger team but that's about it. We really need players that are going to take us to the next level, not players that are going to just play at an adequate level.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Declan Rice is EXACTLY the type of signing I'd like to see. I know, we just love to underrate young talent from other EPL teams. Especially if they are English and not named Sancho. "If they don't have a 100m price tag, then they aren't United quality." Seriously though, this is how we used to operate. Sign young emerging talent from the EPL and around the world and let them make their name at United

Judas

Open to offers
Declan Rice is EXACTLY the type of signing I'd like to see. I know, we just love to underrate young talent from other EPL teams. Especially if they are English and not named Sancho. "If they don't have a 100m price tag, then they aren't United quality." Seriously though, this is how we used to operate. Sign young emerging talent from the EPL and around the world and let them make their name at United
100% agreed.

Some on here are such snobs about English talent, much rather a foreign name when chances are they've seen even less of them, but hey they don't play in England, must be better!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rice will be 60m+ this is the problem. We can't take cheap gambles inside the English league anymore.

While he looks good i'm not sure if he has the passing range for a 2 man midfield, I need to watch him more. He won't go cheap though as he's West Hams poster boy.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Positives of signing Rice, IMO...
  • Seems to be level-headed and a fair professional so we won't have to worry about his antics (in contrast with say Rabiot).
  • A good stopper and ball-winner who would further fortify the central defensive areas.
  • English player so he could be a lifelong addition for United as long as his performance levels don't plummet.
  • Young, so there's scope for improvement in terms of both performance and supposed leadership ability.
However, any stopper signing will necessitate a consummate creative central midfielder or things will become stale if the opposition marks Pogba (and elite players in that profile are extremely hard to find/procure), there will be an even bigger focus on our passing from central defense to expedite defense-offense transitions because while Rice is an efficient passer his range is fairly limited and one-dimensional, and you have to wonder if we'd be better served spending the £60-80 million needed to sign him elsewhere — or indeed waiting for Garner to stake his claim over the next couple of seasons as a Carrick-esque holding midfielder.

Raw

I imagine people didn't think much of Robertson at Hull before he tripled his worth at Liverpool. We should be making these kinds of signings before they get even better and more valuable, or some other team swipes them.

I'm not 100% sure on Rice so far but I welcome us signing more talent from the PL.

Aloysius's Back 3

Rice will be 60m+ this is the problem. We can't take cheap gambles inside the English league anymore.

While he looks good i'm not sure if he has the passing range for a 2 man midfield, I need to watch him more. He won't go cheap though as he's West Hams poster boy.
That's exactly the reason he won't play in such a formation.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's exactly the reason he won't play in such a formation.
Not sure we will want to spend 60+ on a player that is 1 dimensional, unless Ole is set in a 4-3-3 for life. But we've seen that he likes to be flexible.

Skills

Snitch
That thread is a mess, tbf. It's basically England fans acting like they have pulled off some coup by him declaring for them. He is honestly so overrated at the moment it's hilarious. I would rather let City spunk a load of cash on him.
City will sign Saul. If there's one position knows it's midfield

Hawks2008

If he was called Declano Ricinho we'd have people salivating on here now. Sad but true.
I never understand when people say things like this. It's so baseless, if anything the fact a player is English is enough for some.

Canagel

I haven't seen enough of him but I like the current transfer strategy if these rumours are to be believed, very similar tactics to Fergie where we placed bigger focus in acquiring the best up and upcoming players from the PL.
Indeed. The players we're getting linked with suggest ole has already given input. No more links with trash such as Willian, Perisic, Savic, Arnuatovic and other mediocres.

Patrick08

The caf doesn’t rate him. That means he’ll turn out good if we get him - like when we bought Carrick.
He's good defensively and without the ball, but only an average one with the ball in terms of playmaking from the deep. A top top player must have both to be honest. Defensively though he's good till now, but so was Morgan schneiderlin few years earlier. We have been on this road before

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
And yet loads of people on here are most excited for Jadon Sancho who's also an English talent.
Sancho is a tricky winger playing abroad who deviates completely from any English player stereotypes.

People constantly said they 'don't see it' with Kane too because he was a boring, traditional English centre forward. He was also called limited technically and all that bollocks because he's English and big.

Rice is technically decent, a fantastic ball winner and very mature for his age, starting for a decent PL side at his age is very impressive. He clearly has some exceptional attributes, but he's not exciting enough for some so the standard cliches about English players will come out the woodwork.

Particularly from Irish fans desperate to play him down.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sancho is a tricky winger playing abroad who deviates completely from any English player stereotypes.

People constantly said they 'don't see it' with Kane too because he was a boring, traditional English centre forward. He was also called limited technically and all that bollocks because he's English and big.

Rice is technically decent, a fantastic ball winner and very mature for his age, starting for a decent PL side at his age is very impressive. He clearly has some exceptional attributes, but he's not exciting enough for some so the standard cliches about English players will come out the woodwork.

Particularly from Irish fans desperate to play him down.
Me not rating doesn't have anything to do with him being English. I'm not sure why you'd think that. I just don't think he's a Man Utd talent. I'd rather give those opportunities to Garner who I think and hope can be a better player than Rice and he's very highly rated by our coaching staff too.

I'm not Irish either btw. I've no interest in playing down English talent.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
100% agreed.

Some on here are such snobs about English talent, much rather a foreign name when chances are they've seen even less of them, but hey they don't play in England, must be better!
Wow that's bullshit. It's hilarious that people expect that Rice should be rated or not rated just because of his nationality. Nothing to do with his talent or ability.

golden_blunder

Staff
Not comparing him to keane, that would be nuts. But we need someone who can have the same discipline and get the ball moving with fresher legs than matic. Whether that’s rice I don’t know, only time would tell

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Me not rating doesn't have anything to do with him being English. I'm not sure why you'd think that. I just don't think he's a Man Utd talent. I'd rather give those opportunities to Garner who I think and hope can be a better player than Rice and he's very highly rated by our coaching staff too.

I'm not Irish either btw. I've no interest in playing down English talent.

I wasn't necessarily aiming my post at you, was just a general comment on how certain types of English players get perceived. Some people just aren't excited by players with certain styles and will play them down because of that.

It's fine not thinking he's United quality/not being all that keen, but there's plenty who will have barely watched him who will dismiss him because he's English and not a flair player.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Haven't seen much of him tbh but I'd certainly hope that the comparisons with Eric Dier (who is an awful, awful midfielder) are very wide of the mark.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Wow that's bullshit. It's hilarious that people expect that Rice should be rated or not rated just because of his nationality. Nothing to do with his talent or ability.
People are more excited by foreign talents. It's a thing.

Declan Rice who plays for West Ham and is a ball winner just doesn't get people all that excited.

Obviously that doesn't apply to everybody who doesn't rate him, but I bet people were more excited about someone like William Carvalho when he was emerging, for example.

Like I said, Kane had to battle against the dumb 'typical limited English CF' tag for years and some people still treat him that way.

Judas

Open to offers
I mean it's not bullshit, other people have said what I've said too, I see it all the time on here. The post isn't really aimed at you, you've put your opinions across fairly. I want players nationality to be ignored, you have it with South Americans on here too, because we've had a few that haven't worked out we should "stay away from Argentinians!!!".

Zed 101

Fun fact # 3 - He is renound for having a paddy
Fun fact # 4 - His balls are eaten across Asia

Ekeke

He's better defensively and at passing than McTominay. A few levels ahead. He's also come up with 2 goals so far this season in the league, which is as much as Matic has ever contributed. So signs there that he might add a bit more going forward than Matic has.

I think signing him would make sense. Especially with the possibility of us losing Ander. If thats the case we need someone who contributes a lot more than Matic and McTominay defensively and 20 year old Rice could be that player.

poleglass red

That's exactly what he does and that's why he is so highly rated. Every team needs a player like this. You don't hear people saying Kante can't pass, he's just respected for his role in the team.He's a bit different in style do Kante but they both perform a similar role. Rice has a fair bit to go to being spoke in same breath as Kante but he's on the right track. For a bit of perspective at the same age as Rice, Kante was in 2nd and 3rd division of French football.

Status
Not open for further replies.