Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidbob

Can't see it happening this summer since he's only just signed for England but someone who could be got in a couple of years time.

Aloysius's Back 3

The thing i like about rice is that when viewing a match you can clearly see where the defensive line of the whole team is : ie the centre of defence protected by a player playing at CDM. Having that line stuck in the formation by him clearly allows a freedom in front of him; a gap where the rest of the CM have a freedom knowing there is protection behind him.

I'm not comparing him to these players - but players like casemiro, Motta, Kante & more have all been good enough to play such a role that is not dependant on ball playing because it allows the rest of the midfield to just that; play the ball and create things in front of them. Players like Fernandinho at his peak was more a player that rotates possesion to its creators rather than create chances himself.

As much as I still want a player like Neves to come in and dictate play for us - I am actually happy that Ole would target a player like Rice to play as our CDM than Neves; because Neves in that position does not give us the defensive balance we would need for the rest of our players to work. By having a player like Rice at CDM - players like Pogba, Neves or Bruno Fernandes can play freely with a midfielder covering that gaps behind them. Matic at CDM has a lack of legs & slide tackles to always get in the right position at the right time and is usually seen all across the CDM trying to recover from a opposition midfielder that has bypassed them.

Whether Rice is the right player or not is purely a point of view - players that have been succesful at other clubs have come to ours and been let downs aswell.

However, tactically I can see why Ole would want him & those tactics will aim to get the best out of rice- but also players like Pogba, Lindelof, Rashford & Martial in front of him. We need more creativity in the squad & a part of that is to find a destroyer that allows a freedom to our players to do just that - create chances.

Aloysius's Back 3

I also get really jealous when Liverpool have players like TAA, Gomez, Robertson (even the likes of Henderson or Milner) doing well for them more so than when Van Dijk or Salah produce for them. I usually find that these are the players that enable a certain style of football to be played by a squad whilst players like Van Dijk, Salah or Mane providing the goodies and special moments that are meant to win matches.

I look at the great Barcelona team and its players playing for Spain - Xavi, Puyol, Pique, Alba, Iniesta & more were the core of that team & went to prove just that in the WC & Euros whilst Messi would provided the goods at club level as a special player on top for them.

Same for Bayern Munich and Germany - Muller, Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Neurer were the players needed to win league titles as well as national cups; whilst players like Robben or Ribery were the players that stood out to provide the rest of the goods.

The so called golden generation of England was shown by our team players like Beckham, Scholes, Ferdinand, Carrick, Hargreaves, Wes brown and more wasnt it? It could be argued that this english generation are looking like a more team working complete force and who do we have to show for it? Rashford & Lingard?

Time to get the likes of Rice, Wan Bissaka, Sancho in to our DNA again whilst promoting the likes of Garner, Greenwood, Tuenzebe up aswell.

Then we can complain about the 'special players' we might need on top by doing something that the other players may not always be able to do.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If we're going for Rice then we should also get a creative midfielder like others have said.

Bruno Fernandes has been the name that's been thrown around a lot and he seems quality

What do you guys think of a midfield with Pogba Fernandes and Rice

Also getting Rice and Fernandes would only make sense if Herrera is actually going. If Herrera stays then I'd prefer getting just Neves

An Irish Red

We need a defensive midfielder sooner rather than later, and they need to be someone that can cover for Pogba's defensive deficiencies.

I don't rate Rice highly but if Ole thinks that Rice is the man for the job then fair enough.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I would love to sign him.

Buy English and they will be with us forever if they are good enough. Sancho, CHO, Rice and Wan-B would be a dream

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Need players who are excellent in possession. Is he?

If not that brilliant on the ball then he has to be comfortable in possession while excelling in other but suiting a team that's built to play on the front foot.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That thread is a mess, tbf. It's basically England fans acting like they have pulled off some coup by him declaring for them. He is honestly so overrated at the moment it's hilarious. I would rather let City spunk a load of cash on him.
There’s just as many raving Irish fans who are acting like the scorned mistress, tbf.

Aloysius's Back 3

Can see his aggressive shielding nature as the deepest midfielder.

It's why I want him to play as a tertiary CB that moves outwards to intercept at the CDM areas.

Robbie Boy

There’s just as many raving Irish fans who are acting like the scorned mistress, tbf.
Really? Maybe on here. Any Irish fans I know couldn’t really give a feck. I mean, for one he’s meh and secondly most sane Irish fans acknowledge that we are utter shite.

Bwuk

Really? Maybe on here. Any Irish fans I know couldn’t really give a feck. I mean, for one he’s meh and secondly most sane Irish fans acknowledge that we are utter shite.
He's far from meh.

DSG

I just don’t think you need to spend 100m for a top DM. 100m plus are for match winners. Wingers, strikers, 10’s.

Is Rice significantly better than Ndidi? Kante? Casemiro? Javi Martinez? Verratti? Emre Can?

Too much value in the DM market to pay 100m for that kind of player. I say absolutely not.

RedorDead21

I just don’t think you need to spend 100m for a top DM. 100m plus are for match winners. Wingers, strikers, 10’s.

Is Rice significantly better than Ndidi? Kante? Casemiro? Javi Martinez? Verratti? Emre Can?

Too much value in the DM market to pay 100m for that kind of player. I say absolutely not.
He's not worth 35m yet the figures which get banded around are just abit silly.

Kaglish10

Why bother about Declan Rice? Is he any different from MCTominay who shut down Verratti? They both have same attributes which is all about man marking and defending. They offer little to the team's attacking play. I would rather we keep MCTominay than waste money on Declan.

Cloud7

Positives of signing Rice, IMO...
  • Seems to be level-headed and a fair professional so we won't have to worry about his antics (in contrast with say Rabiot).
  • A good stopper and ball-winner who would further fortify the central defensive areas.
  • English player so he could be a lifelong addition for United as long as his performance levels don't plummet.
  • Young, so there's scope for improvement in terms of both performance and supposed leadership ability.
However, any stopper signing will necessitate a consummate creative central midfielder or things will become stale if the opposition marks Pogba (and elite players in that profile are extremely hard to find/procure), there will be an even bigger focus on our passing from central defense to expedite defense-offense transitions because while Rice is an efficient passer his range is fairly limited and one-dimensional, and you have to wonder if we'd be better served spending the £60-80 million needed to sign him elsewhere — or indeed waiting for Garner to stake his claim over the next couple of seasons as a Carrick-esque holding midfielder.
Honestly, I’m not averse to this. If we get a midfielder who’s extremely strong defensively, rather than decent defensively but still requiring support (AKA the current version of Matic), then that allows us to make the third member of the midfield a more creative player, rather than a player who’s strongest point is providing defensive balance to the midfield (Hererra). If we can fill that role with a more creative player while still being able to keep the midfield solid defensively, I think the team will be much stronger overall for it.

MrBest

I mean that's literally what Bruno does all the time, with an absolute hammer of a shot from range.
He looks like he belongs further up the pitch as did Mata. I maybe wrong, i confess i have only seen a handful of games of him and a few youtube videos.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He looks like he belongs further up the pitch as did Mata. I maybe wrong, i confess i have only seen a handful of games of him and a few youtube videos.
Yeah, he probably does, but he does much more graft than mata does deeper as well. So probably not a full mata, maybe something in the middle.

Aloysius's Back 3

Honestly, I’m not averse to this. If we get a midfielder who’s extremely strong defensively, rather than decent defensively but still requiring support (AKA the current version of Matic), then that allows us to make the third member of the midfield a more creative player, rather than a player who’s strongest point is providing defensive balance to the midfield (Hererra). If we can fill that role with a more creative player while still being able to keep the midfield solid defensively, I think the team will be much stronger overall for it.
This is what I think too- at best Pogba should be the second most creative player in the first team and that wont be allowed to happen until we find a pure destroyer to do the dirty work.

soaphroniscuss

Looks like, dare I say it, a young Roy Keane with slightly less incisive short passing.

(minus the goal threat and the red mist).

Needham

25 mill and toss then Fred like he's some hank of afterthought.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yep, I wouldn't mind this signing, either...as long as we balance things out by signing the requisite profile of midfield player to alleviate some of the creativity-related concerns.

Reckon someone like Eriksen would be a great addition to the team as that playmaker — not the most athletic player and fairly subdued for Tottenham over this season as a whole, but the latter might be down to a lack of motivation considering he doesn't want to extend with the club — and unlike Vertonghen/Alderweireld, he does not seem to have a unilateral extension clause in his contract and could be a free agent in 2020, so maybe the club could be persuaded to sell for a decent fee. Still only 27 — which is not very old for a midfielder who doesn't rely too heavily on his physical skill set (for reference that's the age Modrić joined Madrid), vastly experienced in the Premier League so he can hit the ground running, can play in a variety of roles (like side midfielder in a 4-3-3 or 10 in a diamond), and perfectly capable of turning on the style...like he did a couple of days ago in the final minutes vs. Switzerland:

Though a fairly unrealistic option, all things considered — unless Levy is desperate, and wants to set money aside for their new stadium. Think he would rather take a £30 million hit and sell to Madrid, than directly fortify the domestic competition.

Canagel

Why bother about Declan Rice? Is he any different from MCTominay who shut down Verratti? They both have same attributes which is all about man marking and defending. They offer little to the team's attacking play. I would rather we keep MCTominay than waste money on Declan.
Hes quite a bit better than McT.

Patrick08

That's exactly what he does and that's why he is so highly rated. Every team needs a player like this. You don't hear people saying Kante can't pass, he's just respected for his role in the team.He's a bit different in style do Kante but they both perform a similar role. Rice has a fair bit to go to being spoke in same breath as Kante but he's on the right track. For a bit of perspective at the same age as Rice, Kante was in 2nd and 3rd division of French football.
Decent but nothing to be too much excited about. Will improve defensively but on the same hand creativity wise we will suffer unless you add another playmaker on the right hand side of the midfield who can control as well unlike pogba. It's not just our defense which needs improvement, but also there is need to refine the way how we circulate the ball and create more chances than just be overdependent on one player to perform. Won't be against him. But if the scouts thinks he is the one than fair enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.