Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

I'm not saying MCTominay is the answer to our midfield. All I'm saying is I don't know why we're interested in Declan when we have a similar kind of player in MCTominay. They are both defensive midfielders with little creativity in their arsenal. They don't also seem to have the range of passing needed in the holding midfield role. They are both young and have yet to hit their prime. We don't even know MCTominay's ceiling yet but what I know is that he didn't look out of place against a world-class midfielder such as Verratti whereas Declan Rice is still just a local champion.

I would rather we keep developing MCTominay than splash huge money on Declan Rice.
Ole said United think his best position is further forward. So dont expect him to develop as the deep CM

RooneyLegend

Prem mediocrity? Rice has had impressive performances against the top 5. Scored the winner against Arsenal didn’t he?

As for De Jong yes he has impressed against ‘big’ sides but the majority have come in the bread and butter that is the mediocre Dutch league
There's alot of mediocrity in the prem whether you believe it or not. He's had decent games in the bigger ones too as he's also had mediocre ones.

Yet no one apart from Dutch people actually see him in the league. He's almost exclusively judged on what he does in the CL by the general public.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yet somehow you think Rice is the answer?
Yeah, this is something I don't understand. Few point out his performance in 1 or 2 big games but McT also had very good performance vs Chelsea, Liverpool twice, PSG.

Someone made the point, if Rice was our academy graduate then yes as we don't have to spend money. West Ham will want big money and going by very few performances I don't see why he is rated so highly.

RooneyLegend

Yeah, this is something I don't understand. Few point out his performance in 1 or 2 big games but McT also had very good performance vs Chelsea, Liverpool twice, PSG.

Someone made the point, if Rice was our academy graduate then yes as we don't have to spend money. West Ham will want big money and going by very few performances I don't see why he is rated so highly.
Paying 50 million for him is the sort of foolishness that will have us stuck exactly where we are.

Ekeke

Rice averages 2.9 tackles, 1.6 interceptions, 0.5 fouls, 1.6 clearances, 0.4 shots blocked, 0.1 crosses blocked, 0.7 passes blocked, 0.6 shots, 0.8 successful dribbles,
3 aerial challenges, 46.4 total passes, 0.3 key passes

McTominay averages 1.3 tackles, 1.6 interceptions, 1.1 fouls, 2.2 clearances, 0.4 shots blocked, 0.0 crosses blocked, 0.4 passes blocked, 1.6 shots, 0.2 successful dribbles, 7.3 aerial challenges (noticed that Fellaini was at 8), 46.3 total passes, 0.0 key passes

So as you can see Rice makes over double the amount of tackles and dribbles a bit more.

Meanwhile McTominay fouls more, makes more clearances, has more shots and a lot more aerial challenges.

So Rice is more specialized in ball winning on the floor and defense, while McTominay is more specialized in winning the ball in the air and having a shot.

Patrick08

As for the first goal, he put pressure on the player on the ball and the ball was passed to Hazard. Its Noble who confronts Hazard and gets beaten too easily for a player that experienced.
Noble was marking other player when rice got dragged and left a hole in the middle for hazard to exploit, you don't press alone and leave a hole in the middle.

Hawks2008

Yeah I still fail to see the hype around this guy, allowed space inside for Hazard's first and generally was bossed by Loftus-Cheek today. He's still young though, needs to develop at WH for a couple more seasons.

roonster09

Scout
Rice averages 2.9 tackles, 1.6 interceptions, 0.5 fouls, 1.6 clearances, 0.4 shots blocked, 0.1 crosses blocked, 0.7 passes blocked, 0.6 shots, 0.8 successful dribbles,
3 aerial challenges, 46.4 total passes, 0.3 key passes

McTominay averages 1.3 tackles, 1.6 interceptions, 1.1 fouls, 2.2 clearances, 0.4 shots blocked, 0.0 crosses blocked, 0.4 passes blocked, 1.6 shots, 0.2 successful dribbles, 7.3 aerial challenges (noticed that Fellaini was at 8), 46.3 total passes, 0.0 key passes

So as you can see Rice makes over double the amount of tackles and dribbles a bit more.

Meanwhile McTominay fouls more, makes more clearances, has more shots and a lot more aerial challenges.

So Rice is more specialized in ball winning on the floor and defense, while McTominay is more specialized in winning the ball in the air and having a shot.
Per 90 mins stats for games started as CM/DM only.

I don't see much improvement at all and this is fringe player vs player who plays week in week out.

Okey

I honestly don't get the Rice hype. I've watched him quite regularly and I think 50m on him is criminal. He's not that different from McTominay. Slightly better yes, but not a 50m upgrade. We're struggling to string 5 passes together to keep the ball. Surely there should be an emphasis on ball playing technical skills in every player we sign going forward? Rice definitely ain't that...

Robbie Boy

It's funny watching the overrating of Rice on here the past few weeks. I can guarantee the ones pretending to watch him all the time, will be the same ones bitching and moaning about how average he is if we were to sign him. He is just that, bang average. I can't see us going near him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I just played fm 19 for the first time in a while. He’s got his stat bump. West Ham want 86 million for him hahaha. I definitely agree we need technical players who can move it around faster under pressure from now on. We’ve gone the more physical route the last few years and it hasn’t panned out. We should have enough workhorse players in our acedmy without splashing huge money. Technically gifted and mentally strong is where it’s at going forward.

Danny Roberts

I think Rice would be a great signing. Looks very tidy whenever I see him, think he's a leader and a mate who used to play CM in the Conference and is a West Ham fan raves about him. As ever, the price would have to be right though.

ArjenIsM3

I honestly don't get the Rice hype. I've watched him quite regularly and I think 50m on him is criminal. He's not that different from McTominay. Slightly better yes, but not a 50m upgrade. We're struggling to string 5 passes together to keep the ball. Surely there should be an emphasis on ball playing technical skills in every player we sign going forward? Rice definitely ain't that...
Agreed. Watched him play for England and the game against Chelsea. He tends to go into hiding when the defenders have the ball which makes it easy for the opposition to put them under pressure. His passing isn't all that either. Just average. Defensively he's pretty good, good awareness for a player his age. I think we need someone who's better in possession.

croadyman

Agreed. Watched him play for England and the game against Chelsea. He tends to go into hiding when the defenders have the ball which makes it easy for the opposition to put them under pressure. His passing isn't all that either. Just average. Defensively he's pretty good, good awareness for a player his age. I think we need someone who's better in possession.
Yeah that is my feelings on him as well,however Utd will probably just ignore that fact completely

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He tends to go into hiding when the defenders have the ball which makes it easy for the opposition to put them under pressure. His passing isn't all that either. Just average. Defensively he's pretty good, good awareness for a player his age. I think we need someone who's better in possession.
I agree. He is not good enough to be a midfielder for a team that aspire to challenge for the title. But he could become a great central defender. His awareness is very good, he is great in the air (despite not being very tall) and he would be considered good on the ball if he was playing in defence. He also has a presence about him that I like, even in midfield. I think he has more games as a central defender than midfield actually.

poleglass red

Yeah I still fail to see the hype around this guy, allowed space inside for Hazard's first and generally was bossed by Loftus-Cheek today. He's still young though, needs to develop at WH for a couple more seasons.
fair point, I just got the impression watching that West Ham team is that they know they aren't going to make top 6, they know they aren't going to get relegated, they are just in that see out the season mood.Contrast that with their form in Dec when they looked very good.I see we always connect any move for Rice as a DM, to me he's much better suited to central defence. His timing and awareness are usually spot on, plus he's strong in the air and would be comfortable on the ball. He's very good at organising, which is something we horribly lack all over the pitch.He's captain material wherever he ends up

Rocknrolla69er

Somebody mentioned Loftus Cheek

Thoughts on him in the Herrera role?

I think it could be a shrewd signing if his head can be turned as he doesnt get alot of gametime, does he have the workrate though

And what is his contract situation

Josh 76

He would shit himself just driving into training.
The club is too big for him. UTD will swallow him up.

Ekeke

Per 90 mins stats for games started as CM/DM only.

I don't see much improvement at all and this is fringe player vs player who plays week in week out.
Well firstly you obviously need to split the two for McTominay. Because 2 seasons of highlights vs 1 is obviously disingenuous.

Then take into account that Rice has played 3 times as much this season as McTominay in either season. In fact the 18/18 stats are almost pointless because of how few matches he played.

And the more matches you play, the harder it is to keep the per 90 and per game stats up. Its easier to have a run of 10 good games than 30.

Then take into account that McTominay is older. In fact he'll be 23 before Rice is 21 in Jan 2020.

So again the main thing is Rice is younger, more combative on the ground, making more tackles but giving away less fouls.

While McTominay has more shots and far better in the air.

roonster09

Scout
Well firstly you obviously need to split the two for McTominay. Because 2 seasons of highlights vs 1 is obviously disingenuous.

Then take into account that Rice has played 3 times as much this season as McTominay in either season. In fact the 18/18 stats are almost pointless because of how few matches he played.

And the more matches you play, the harder it is to keep the per 90 and per game stats up. Its easier to have a run of 10 good games than 30.

Then take into account that McTominay is older. In fact he'll be 23 before Rice is 21 in Jan 2020.

So again the main thing is Rice is younger, more combative on the ground, making more tackles but giving away less fouls.

While McTominay has more shots and far better in the air.
Main thing is Rice will cost shit loads of money for not so much improvement.

I agree playing more mins means it's hard to keep up stats, at the same time playing week in week out also brings best out of players compared to one month a game playing when you first team is injured.

At this point we have McT who is squad player and Rice isn't good enough for ManUtd to spend shit loads of money when we have so many gaps in first 11

Aloysius's Back 3

The biggest sign that Ole might be the first manager to take us a step forward is the fact that the fans & supporters are disagreeing with some of the players he wants.
Makes me look forward to his transfers more - Ole knows what this team is missing & whilst we need severe creativity in our midfield - without the right defensive stability in deep midfielder and the defence; that will never come.

poleglass red

The thing with Rice is, and if we are connected with him, this might be one of his attractions. He's a natural leader, something we lack. Ole of course has played under some of the best leaders we've had and that might be an attribute he wants to bring back. You can argue back and forth about his ability, but even at 20 you can see he will be captain somewhere for yrs. You don't see that much these days, but he has it in spades.

Aloysius's Back 3

How much is Declan's potential transfer fee?
I'd say if he was pushing for a move we could get him for 40-5m.

If he was wanted by many clubs and if was an open transfer between many clubs then the max anyone would pay is 60.

I think we can get him for 45 personally.

Aloysius's Back 3

Declan is a 2 transfer in one. Gives us an opportunity to replace Matic whilst giving a cover for one of Bailly or Rojo as a CB.

As seen by the PSG game - Ole does change the tactics of players in positions throughout the game & can easily use a player like rice at CDM before making him shield & drop in to defence when needed.

Morpheus 7

I'd say if he was pushing for a move we could get him for 40-5m.

If he was wanted by many clubs and if was an open transfer between many clubs then the max anyone would pay is 60.

I think we can get him for 45 personally.
Do you really want him? I haven't seen him play enough, seen him play about 5 times. I thought he was so ordinary in the Everton game last time, I know he's young and there is clearly something behind the hype. I know they are slightly different but I've been impressed with Doucoure. It's not the biggest name but think with alongside Pogba that has real power.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
He's OK with the ball. Good temperament, leadership qualities and ability to read game. However owing to the fact he really isnt that technically good, we should overlook and try and find a proper Carrick replacement.

lewwoo

I will trust Ole with whatever players he wants for now until he proves otherwise. If Ole feels Rice is his man then I will go with his judgement over the Irish contingent telling us how shite he is on here.

Ekeke

Has played his part in west ham dominating us, but just a part. Noble, Anderson and Lanzini also did their part and had more of the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.