Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
His reputation definitely was enhanced during the tug of war with Ireland. The longer it went the more hype around him.

There seems to be a paranoia in English football at the moment about losing dual qualified players to other nations. Abraham and Tomori are just the latest examples. Do a couple of interviews saying you're considering the other nation and you're in the squad!
:lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I quite like him, but what does he do that McTominay doesn't? And what's he doing to supposedly be a £90m player? From what I've seen, there isn't an answer to either of those. He's pretty good at best. But we've got McT who fits the 'pretty good' bill.

bucky

Oh really? Maybe after the Bayern move broke down? Heads gone.
Wouldn't be the first one. Fekir and Seri's performances suffered as well. Espanyol in general have had a terrible start to the season, haven't been following that closely, but maybe it's a team thing. He was always more of a hunch anyway, since I didn't see that many options at the time and truthfully didn't watch that much of Roca. I was never as convinced of him as I was of Rodrigo at Villareal for example. For instance Rice I am more convinced by, but he'd be a lot more expensive and I am not sure that's the best use of our funds.

Now I see more options though. Matheus Henrique from Gremio could be a very shrewd signing. He's just been called up the Brazilian NT and had his debut for them a couple of days ago. He's playing for Gremio, is 21 years old and shouldn't be that expensive. Camavinga has also emerged, don't think I need to say much about him. Florentino Luis just got his release clause increased, so I'm not sure whether he'd be any cheaper than Rice, but he's an option at the very least. Bruno Guimares is another defensive midfielder from Brazil, who's looking very good. Also just 21 years old. Koopmeiners, from Alkmaar, could also be one to keep an eye on. Lisando Martinez from Ajax. So I don't see the situation as dire as before and hope we get one of those, maybe even two. Edit: Oh, and Tonali obviously. Not sure if we got a chance there though.

kidbob

Probably Winks, but he'd be more of a DLP than a pure DM. Then I'd partner him with Henderson in a box to box role, and Maddison as the advanced playmaker, getting forwards to support Kane, Sterling and one of Rashford or Sancho.
No better than Rice at all and soon would be subject to the English fans abuse. You guys simply don't have a better player in that position right now. However as I've said the like of Garner are way more talented and will hopefully develop to overtake him (I rate Garner high enough that he is the main young player that is getting game time for us right now, considering our weakness in his position). I just despair to see him rated as 'shite' so soon after many were so happy he had switched allegiances (as he was more entitled to do as an Englishman who had played for Ireland).

Edit: it's be like Irish fans hating on Shane Long, the fact is no matter how shit he is he is the best we have right now and thus should be supported. This is your country you're talking about not a club who can buy and sell players. It comes off as entitled from a nation who have won jack shit in the last 60 years.

dutchred

AZ Alkmaar's 21 year old midfielder Teun Koopmeiners is much better. He is going to be a top player.

AFC NimbleThumb

AZ Alkmaar's 21 year old midfielder Teun Koopmeiners is much better. He is going to be a top player.
We’ll be after him for £80mil once he’s played for Spurs.

Come on people, get with it - we don’t do bargains at Old Trafford.

It’s buy badly, buy twice, thrice & so on.

Champagne Football

We’ll be after him for £80mil once he’s played for Spurs.

Come on people, get with it - we don’t do bargains at Old Trafford.

It’s buy badly, buy twice, thrice & so on.
Last time we went Dutch, we bought the player of the year from the Erdivisie, and the young player of the year there too, and they both flopped

Yagami

Good post resistant
No better than Rice at all and soon would be subject to the English fans abuse. You guys simply don't have a better player in that position right now. However as I've said the like of Garner are way more talented and will hopefully develop to overtake him (I rate Garner high enough that he is the main young player that is getting game time for us right now, considering our weakness in his position). I just despair to see him rated as 'shite' so soon after many were so happy he had switched allegiances (as he was more entitled to do as an Englishman who had played for Ireland).

Edit: it's be like Irish fans hating on Shane Long, the fact is no matter how shit he is he is the best we have right now and thus should be supported. This is your country you're talking about not a club who can buy and sell players. It comes off as entitled from a nation who have won jack shit in the last 60 years.
Sorry but, imo, Winks is just a better footballer than Rice right now, and having someone with his composure as our deep midfielder would not only help dominate possession which Southgate wants, he'd be a big help in playing out from the back, too, as he's quite press-resistant.

Depending on how he comes back from his unfortunate injury Lewis Cook could be an option, too.

For me, and many others, Rice is just too limited on the ball.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Sorry but, imo, Winks is just a better footballer than Rice right now, and having someone with his composure as our deep midfielder would not only help dominate possession which Southgate wants, he'd be a big help in playing out from the back, too, as he's quite press-resistant.

Depending on how he comes back from his unfortunate injury Lewis Cook could be an option, too.

Yes agree, Winks is a much better option. Also why is Walker omitted from the squad? If Keane is a liability then at least Walker could provide extra cover as part of 3 centre backs. Got to be a better option than Rice who just gets the ball and passes it back to a CB anyway and generally remains pretty static.

We got previous in England national teams for ignoring any deep lying playmaker types or DMs with actual attacking game intelligence. How Carrick got overlooked for years is nothing short of a scandal. At the moment Southgate seems determined to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I must be missing something because although he is neat and tidy he doesn't stand out as being something special.

Bestietom

I havn't seen anything special about Rice, yet. Partey would be better for us, could play alongside McTominay and box to box.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
Rice has time on his side but I'm not sure there's anyone in the Premier League currently as overrated as he is. He's a centre half playing in midfield that's young enough to just about get away with his lack of movement and ability on the ball. At International level he's been quickly exposed and largely anonymous. Too much, too soon.

sherrinford

Winks is too limited on the ball for the kind of player he is supposed to be. Virtually every time, when watching Tottenham last season, there was a marked improvement in the team’s play when Eriksen was moved into a deeper role - Winks just doesn’t have the ability to progress the play as well as you would expect from a deep-lying playmaker. He also doesn’t excel defensively like Rice does. Overall, in isolation I think Rice brings more to a team even though he is limited on the ball.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Firstly he is not coming in Jan.
Axel in midfield would be a good option.
Good call, playing Axel as a DM for a few games wouldn't be a bad option, he has the ability I believe, to pick a good pass, obviously has defensive qualities, probably positioning may be an issue, but I would like to see him in a game. Rice, like many others on here, I feel is overrated at the moment. He may turn out to be s great player, but I don't see it at the moment.

Last edited:

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Good call, playing Axel as a DM for a few games wouldn't be a bad option, he has the ability I believe, to pick a good pass, obviously has defensive qualities, probably positioning may be an issue, but I would like to see that in a game. Rice, like many others on here, I feel is overrated at the moment. He may turn out to be s great player, but I don't see it at the moment.
Its unbelievable that we are scrapping the barrel for players in midfield and up front.
I agree with getting rid of the players we did.
But not getting replacements?

They got it backwards.

Get the replacements and then sell.

racimovic

Declan Rice is a good player but has a lot of similitude with Mctominay, so i will prefer i more offensive player someone who can score and assist just like Fernandes.
i think that Bruno Fernandes is the player that we need!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yes agree, Winks is a much better option. Also why is Walker omitted from the squad? If Keane is a liability then at least Walker could provide extra cover as part of 3 centre backs. Got to be a better option than Rice who just gets the ball and passes it back to a CB anyway and generally remains pretty static.

We got previous in England national teams for ignoring any deep lying playmaker types or DMs with actual attacking game intelligence. How Carrick got overlooked for years is nothing short of a scandal. At the moment Southgate seems determined to repeat the mistakes of the past.
Have to agree with you re: Walker. He's far from perfect but I think he warrants being the squad, too.
Winks is too limited on the ball for the kind of player he is supposed to be. Virtually every time, when watching Tottenham last season, there was a marked improvement in the team’s play when Eriksen was moved into a deeper role - Winks just doesn’t have the ability to progress the play as well as you would expect from a deep-lying playmaker. He also doesn’t excel defensively like Rice does. Overall, in isolation I think Rice brings more to a team even though he is limited on the ball.
I have criticised Winks a lot myself as, when in possession, he takes the easy choice everytime. Rarely attempts long passes, through balls, etc, when they're on, which isn't ideal, true, but the positives he does bring to the midfield like being able to resist a press, and adding some composure to the team when trying to play it out from the back are something Rice doesn't have which, if we're going to be a possession based team and attempt playing it out from the back, are key attributes to have.

I also don't think it's that Winks is limited on the ball - I feel like it's a confidence thing as I've seen him play good balls before, so he has it in his locker. I mean, I know I'm grasping at straws here, but it does feel like a mental/confidence thing rather than a lack of technical ability to me in regards to Winks' problem.

reddevilchennai

I do not like this British and young kind of signings United are trying to make.
Maguire and AWB were British but they were PL proven or with good potential.
But no need to carry on with this British signings more. Lots of better CM available other than Rice.
British signings from other PL clubs comes with British tax inaddition to the United tax. This guy is no where near the 90m-100m as the reports are saying.

Only two British players I would like United to sign are Sancho and Maddison.We should be going nowhere near the likes of Rice and Longstaff.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
I think Eric Dier could be United bound. Out of favour at Spurs and fits the British profile. He's an odd one. In a 2 he looks poor but as a deep lying defensive midfielder he's shown himself to be capable at times. His best games for England were the Nations League games (one against Spain) but he's been injured, pretty anonymous and out of favour since.

mewnew11

He isn't the answer. He is absolutely slow and doesn't have much vision for forward play.

Awful against everton today.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Today was another example of his inability to effect the game. If you're going to base your entire game around defending, you better be superb at it. He most definitely is not.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Once he's not on it, he's not too bad at find a forward pass. He just has no clue how to get on it in terms of positioning in between opposition and correct body position.

Defensively he looked absolutely shattered by the later part of the second half and was constantly behind the play.

He has potential but the CB playing midfield still shows a lot.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I will be very disappointed if we spunk 80 million on this guy. 25 million at most. And thats been generous.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Right now he only look like 50 million player instead of 100 West Ham wants

mu4c_20le

He would replace Matic. As long as he can provide stability and help us control the midfield, he doesn't need to stand out.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Look forward to signing him for 90m next summer....

Says no one.

AKDevil

Fair comment from Keane. People mock Winks but significantly superior and cleverer player. Knows his position much better. Defensively Winks reminds me a little of Carrick - senses danger and cuts off Angeles, rather than chasing ball and then leaving team/midfield exposed/open. Better going forward than Rice - always available because he makes angles for teammate in possession whereas Rice doesn’t have that intelligence.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
May as well just get someone from lower leagues for cheaper who can do a similar job. That is if West Ham are looking for 80 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.