Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I dont argree, add in a great long range passer and you could be describing Michael Carrick. I also dont think you can compare international football with club football. Many a world class talent within the league has failed for England, not that I am saying I see him as that. I think forgetting the fee he would be a good signing, but you cant forget the fee and there are other players that are potentially better and a lot cheaper
Yeah, but he's got no good attributes in dictating play or distribution. Everyone just calls him tidy with the ball and breaks up play very well. That is exactly what I would want from a CB, not from a midfielder.

jesperjaap

Yeah, but he's got no good attributes in dictating play or distribution. Everyone just calls him tidy with the ball and breaks up play very well. That is exactly what I would want from a CB, not from a midfielder.
Although his distribution is very simple, his weight of pass and awareness is good. By that analogy you wouldnt want Makelele, Fernandhino, Busquets

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He’d probably be Latvia’s best ever player tbf
Was meant to make an unfunny joke about Verpakovskis , here. Must have given up myself...
Although his distribution is very simple, his weight of pass and awareness is good. By that analogy you wouldnt want Makelele, Fernandhino, Busquets
Makelele was agile and quick and lot better going forward than people seem to remember. Rice doesn't posses those traits. Busquets and Fernandinhos distribution is streets ahead, I'm not really sure why you would use them as an example. I'd say he is more like Henderson in his distribution, but not as mobile.

Zoo

Rice was a level above his teammates tonight against Spurs. If West Ham go down there’s no way he is staying there.

dbs235

Genuinely impressed me tonight. His performance away at Czech Republic has stuck with me and I haven't really rated him since. But he was good tonight, easy to forget he's only 21, has probably been a victim of his own success and hype.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Rice was a level above his teammates tonight against Spurs. If West Ham go down there’s no way he is staying there.
That ability at 1.52 is what I like the most out of him - for him to play as a CDM but also as a third CB without us actually having to play 3CB's as a tactic. It gives us a fluidity and stability and I think he can really grow in to the role.

A CDM/CB like him will bring the perfect fluidity to an attacking CM/CAM partnership of Pogba and Bruno in my opinion and is why I've not ruled him out alongside others who have showed glimpses of this like Zakaria.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Genuinely impressed me tonight. His performance away at Czech Republic has stuck with me and I haven't really rated him since. But he was good tonight, easy to forget he's only 21, has probably been a victim of his own success and hype.
I was impressed by him for the first time tonight as well. Also liked how comfortable he is with both feet...

Mainoldo

Got fed up of him and his crab passing. But I really think there is a player there just waiting to play with better players.
Hopefully they go down and we can take a chance on him for cheaper than the ridiculous values quoted before.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He played CB the game before and was class there. That should be his position. He's not a midfielder you're going to want in a side that dominates teams, it just so happens that West Hams midfield is crap and he's good enough on the ball to get into the midfield.

JohnnyLaw

He played CB the game before and was class there. That should be his position. He's not a midfielder you're going to want in a side that dominates teams, it just so happens that West Hams midfield is crap and he's good enough on the ball to get into the midfield.
We could use both a CB and a DM though, so in that regard he’d be an ideal aquisition.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders

That ability at 1.52 is what I like the most out of him - for him to play as a CDM but also as a third CB without us actually having to play 3CB's as a tactic. It gives us a fluidity and stability and I think he can really grow in to the role.

A CDM/CB like him will bring the perfect fluidity to an attacking CM/CAM partnership of Pogba and Bruno in my opinion and is why I've not ruled him out alongside others who have showed glimpses of this like Zakaria.
Totally agree!

While watching the spurs west ham game I couldn’t help but hope we go after him specially if west ham get relegated!

Should be able to get a good deal as they’ll want to recuperate some of the funds they recently spent trying to get a team together for Pellegrini. Surely Rice would bring in the most money!

JohnnyLaw

Got fed up of him and his crab passing. But I really think there is a player there just waiting to play with better players.
Hopefully they go down and we can take a chance on him for cheaper than the ridiculous values quoted before.
Would be great if West Ham and Villa went down together, Rice and Grealish both available for reasonable fees would be an interesting proposition.

Withnail

I don't know. If he can break up play and spray the ball around like that from DM every week he'll be some player. He's only 21 so it'll be interesting to see how he develops.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I agree. Similar to Dier. Can be an ok midfield player for a below average PL-side, but potential to be a great defender for a top PL-club.

It is starting to feel like England is making a tradition of putting central defenders with a bit ability on the ball in midfield.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm surprised we are not linked to him more and linked to Grealish instead. Since Matic is getting old and lacking pace and energy we should be looking for a DM that is suitable for Bruno and Pogba. I get the feeling Ole wants to give that role to Mctomimay. These last few games should actually tell us whether we need a DM for next season or not.

croadyman

I'm surprised we are not linked to him more and linked to Grealish instead. Since Matic is getting old and lacking pace and energy we should be looking for a DM that is suitable for Bruno and Pogba. I get the feeling Ole wants to give that role to Mctomimay. These last few games should actually tell us whether we need a DM for next season or not.
We seemed to be linked to him last summer when it looked like Matic was leaving,once Matic was staying then the links quickly died down.

I also think Utd weren't prepared to pay what West Ham were wanting for him back then,much like Grealish the price will plummet if West Ham go down too.

poleglass red

Not good enough on the ball to be a midfielder for Man Utd imo. Decent player though.
In a mid of Pogba and Fernandes does he need to be though. I'd be happy enough with them getting adequate defensive cover, for him to win the ball and lay it off, easy pass to either and let them build the attacks. Ideally you want all players to be excellent on the ball, but he'll improve he's still only 21. To put that into perspective, Martial is 24 and we still talk about how he can improve.

izec

Would take him. Things have changed for us in midfield and he has improved a bit this season. If Carrick works with him on his passing, i believe he will be good.

Toni Roncoroni

Not good enough on the ball to be a midfielder for Man Utd imo. Decent player though.
I actually thought he was pretty good on the ball against Tottenham. Good range of passing with both feats and a few great long balls. If I think about the silly mistakes Fred is doing when in possession he looked more assured on the ball. But I didn't see him a lot this season but I was pretty impressed with him against Tottenham. Looked sharp and was running a lot.

I think he signed a new contract recently so thats probably why

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I actually thought he was pretty good on the ball against Tottenham. Good range of passing with both feats and a few great long balls. If I think about the silly mistakes Fred is doing when in possession he looked more assured on the ball. But I didn't see him a lot this season but I was pretty impressed with him against Tottenham. Looked sharp and was running a lot.
I agree with this, I thought he looked very good against Spurs, was one of West Ham's best players and he's not helped by playing alongside Noble.
I am not Rice's biggest fan, and I do think we can find better, but credit where credit is due.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Would take him. Things have changed for us in midfield and he has improved a bit this season. If Carrick works with him on his passing, i believe he will be good.
I think Carrick is the master behind our midfields improvement this season, we can see it with Fred and McT, hell even with Matic, they have all shown massive improvements this season especially since Ole stepped in and gave Carrick more responsibility.
He could do the same with Rice.

davidmichael

At 21 he can certainly get a lot better and he’d have an ideal teacher in Matic and Carrick as a coach in the art of being a defensive midfielder that can knock the ball about, I’ve hated West Ham since they cost us the title in 1995 so I always hope they go down but if they do this year then Rice for £30 million is good business and it’s a position we actually need to strengthen in.

As much as I like McTominay I just don’t see him as a defensive midfielder as he is much better suited as a ball winning box to box midfielder who can influence the game at either end, he has endless energy and can shoot so he’s wasted just sitting in front of the defence or slotting into a third centre back when needed.

Okey

Decent player (impressive last night) but not good enough with the ball under pressure to be the upgrade on Fred or McT we seek at CDM. I imagine Zakaria would be cheaper, and the choice between both is a fairly easy one.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
In a mid of Pogba and Fernandes does he need to be though. I'd be happy enough with them getting adequate defensive cover, for him to win the ball and lay it off, easy pass to either and let them build the attacks. Ideally you want all players to be excellent on the ball, but he'll improve he's still only 21. To put that into perspective, Martial is 24 and we still talk about how he can improve.
This. we dont need a passer of the ball - we need an anchor man, a player who has the ability to guard the defence behind him and the midfield in front of him.

For me Rice has the ability to play as a CB and do a CDM's job whilst he can also play as a CDM and do a CB's job.

What this allows us to do is actually play 3 CB's at the back without actually having to play 5 defenders, and have a CDM that can cover the spot of opening spaces and play out from the back or carry from the back.

Dier was exceptional at this under one season with Pochettino's back 3 but got injured and stopped playing.

We should play with inverted fullbacks aswell since we have ridiculously good defensive fullbacks in wan Bissaka and Shaw.

A 2-3-5 formation, a mix of the defensive and midfield tactics of City's and the attacking tactics of Liverpool. A diamond formation created by a false CB and a false number 9 (playing on to/guarding areas by 'x')

RCB × Maguire
AWB- Rice -Shaw
Pogba-Bruno
Martial
Greenwood×Rashford​

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Better we sign a player who has a stronger base of midfield technical ability. The money Rice would cost would be way over the odds for a player of his ability

jackal&hyde

I would still prefer the DM to be a very good passer because that allows us to keep the other 2 further forward as opposed to cutting back for a simple short pass, similar with having good ball playing defenders vs Smalling. The more defensive mid for United has always been a very good passer, Keane and Carrick stand out during our most successful times. They are difficult to find though.

Status
Not open for further replies.