Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

He's already a Chelsea player in my mind, but I'd certainly be interested in him if that move for some bizarre reason didn't happen.
Agreed. Rice is what our midfield needs. Weve got plenty of box to box options but don’t really have a #6.

RUCK4444

I don’t see it with him, seems a neat and tidy player with decent passing range but nothing particularly special to be honest.

Im desperate for the club to sign a top DM but I just don’t get excited by this one.

I mean are his stats better than Fred as an example? Considering he’s a natural DM I would want his defensive contribution to be superior to somebody like Fred.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing with Ole is that he clearly targets players with an outstanding quality or an ability.

Bruno Fernandes has many, Wan Bissaka has his one vs one ability that you can see why Ole was potentially interested in, Telles seems like he has a great cross on him for a player of 13 million, Cavani is that hungry poacher we missed or targeted with Haaland etc

I do like Declan Rice and when you see Matic dropping back in to a back 3 whenever our other players go off in an attack you do see why someone like Rice maybe the right player.

However, Is his tackling ability and to play like a CB in the CDM role what we lack and potentially what Ole finds useful? He has good leadership ability.Yet, I dont see see many other abilities as of yet.

When you look at someone like Zakaria for example and see how the guy dribbles out of pressure from a CB/CDM position to almost start a counter attack whilst being in the team of current possession - you can more likely see why Ole would target him over his 'unique or special' abilities than Declan Rice.

Still like Declan Rice but we shall see.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The thing with Ole is that he clearly targets players with an outstanding quality or an ability.

Bruno Fernandes has many, Wan Bissaka has his one vs one ability that you can see why Ole was potentially interested in, Telles seems like he has a great cross on him for a player of 13 million, Cavani is that hungry poacher we missed or targeted with Haaland etc

I do like Declan Rice and when you see Matic dropping back in to a back 3 whenever our other players go off in an attack you do see why someone like Rice maybe the right player.

However, Is his tackling ability and to play like a CB in the CDM role what we lack and potentially what Ole finds useful? He has good leadership ability.Yet, I dont see see many other abilities as of yet.

When you look at someone like Zakaria for example and see how the guy dribbles out of pressure from a CB/CDM position to almost start a counter attack whilst being in the team of current possession - you can more likely see why Ole would target him over his 'unique or special' abilities than Declan Rice.

Still like Declan Rice but we shall see.
He is streets ahead of Rice. Absolute beast. Hope he can stay injury free

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Very good and solid player but Souček next to him has been better, he's got that bit of ex factor in him, however perhaps too similar to Fellaini, even though better defensively and better passer.

Rice is more of a basic player really but when we compare him to McT, he's definitely quicker than Scott and positionally much better, certainly a better passer so he would be a huge upgrade but that would be many players. The problem is that we would have to chunk 50mil plus for such player and I am sure our scouts can find someone with a skillset like that quite easily for less money. Maybe we already have one in Caiceido...

cyberman

We need people a bit better on the ball. No point in replacing Scott with Rice

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Pretty sure he wants to stay in London, just like Cole and Lampard did

Sanchez7

Is he better than Schneiderlin was for Southampton? That summer window, the consensus was that we had signed the best defensive midfielder in the league.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Rice has only missed 4 Premier League games in the past 2 and a half seasons. I don't think any were due to injury either.
That is underrated. For his own development too. Playing games and training makes every player better. Even the best talents will struggle to make up for missing out on minutes, both in training and in matches. Just look at our Tuanzebe.

I really like Rice, but not sure he is mature enough to be the type of leader we might need. Struck me as a bit naive in an interview he did with Rio.

As a type, I actually think we need him. Would prefer someone more natural on the ball, bt he has improved a lot. Compared to McTominay and Fred he is a more natural DM. Matic with more pace and mobility.

TheReligion

Abusive
That is underrated. For his own development too. Playing games and training makes every player better. Even the best talents will struggle to make up for missing out on minutes, both in training and in matches. Just look at our Tuanzebe.

I really like Rice, but not sure he is mature enough to be the type of leader we might need. Struck me as a bit naive in an interview he did with Rio.

As a type, I actually think we need him. Would prefer someone more natural on the ball, bt he has improved a lot. Compared to McTominay and Fred he is a more natural DM. Matic with more pace and mobility.
What was he saying with Rio?

I think Rice is what we need but it's the price that will again be an issue and I doubt it will reflect true value.

cyberman

Rice is quite good on the ball tbh. Not sure why you have this impression.
Quite good isnt enough. Matic and Scott are on a similar level to Rice and he wouldnt bring anything new or any outstanding attributes for the price tag.
If we are signing somebody there, it has to be a deep ball player imo

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Matic and Scott are on a similar level to Rice and he wouldnt bring anything new or any outstanding attributes for the price tag.

I agree. But I think Matic would be sufficient if had more pace and mobility. Rice is almost like a mix between Matic and Kante. McTominay is very good on the ball, but really not a good passer of the ball (not in a Man Utd-standard anyway). Rice looks like a significantly better passer.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Would be such a good signing.

Would be the end of McFred, but it would allow us to play a more attacking midfield in the big games.

Can only see it being possible if/when Pogba moves on, but it would allow VdB a chance to assert himself in the side.

A midfield on Rice/VdB/Fernandes has a lot of potential.

He'll go to Chelsea though.

wolvored

Last week there was a report where he said he wouldnt be interested in coming to Utd as he wants to stay in London and Chelsea would be his preferred option.

Mainoldo

We need people a bit better on the ball. No point in replacing Scott with Rice
Left foot right foot. He’s very good on the ball. You probably watched a poor game. Watch more of him he’s a few levels above Fred and Scott in that aspect. Easily. Has Scott even got a left foot.

cyberman

I agree. But I think Matic would be sufficient if had more pace and mobility. Rice is almost like a mix between Matic and Kante. McTominay is very good on the ball, but really not a good passer of the ball (not in a Man Utd-standard anyway). Rice looks like a significantly better passer.
I think Rice carries the ball as Scott does, I actually think his passing range isnt that impressive. If it were he would be an elite midfielder and I cant see how fans think he does since West Ham doesnt really pass the ball through midfield.
Ive seen too many pedestrian games in an England shirt where he has competition and his distribution of the ball has let him down and it stands out at that level.
I think we get fooled by these types of players at mid range clubs because we dont watch them enough. He can be ordinary but not terrible and we dont notice then has a good game and its seen as being consistently good.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Think he’s good and will get better but so is Scott T, who has miles more experience playing for a big club. Think it’s better to put the money into someone who is genuine class. Think there must be a good number of better options...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Don't get the obsession with him on here. He would be painfully average for the amount we would have to pay for him. People complain about Pogba's value for money, this guy would be shocking value for money.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Think he’s good and will get better but so is Scott T, who has miles more experience playing for a big club. Think it’s better to put the money into someone who is genuine class. Think there must be a good number of better options...
Zakaria and Soumare for me

dinostar77

Tactically he is an interesting players for managers, especially for his ability to drop into defence. If you worked on it on the training ground enough a player like him would allow you to switch seemlessly beween a back four a a back three. There arent many of those around and ones who are british.

He could end up having an influence at Chelsea ala Jordan Henderson at Liverpool. Leading by example with leadership, determination and never say die attitude.

Hes got Chelsea written all over him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think Rice carries the ball as Scott does, I actually think his passing range isnt that impressive. If it were he would be an elite midfielder and I cant see how fans think he does since West Ham doesnt really pass the ball through midfield.
Ive seen too many pedestrian games in an England shirt where he has competition and his distribution of the ball has let him down and it stands out at that level.
I think we get fooled by these types of players at mid range clubs because we dont watch them enough. He can be ordinary but not terrible and we dont notice then has a good game and its seen as being consistently good.
I dont think it is impressive either. But certainly up a few notches on McTominay.

You might be right on that last bit. There is «always» a risk that a player could be found out at a big club. I will admit I dont watch West Ham every weekend, but he is very often good when I see them. Have not seen every game of him for England either, but under the impression that he is getting better and better for them.

Walters_19_MuFc

His ability to drive with the ball is something that really stands out for me now. The more I watch him, the more he reminds me of Nemanja Matic.

If rumours are to be believed, I don't think Rice will come to United, but we have to be careful with our next midfield purchase.

I've said numerous times that in Fred, McTominay, and Matic, we already have decent defensive players. Are they statistically better than Rice? No, I never really watch us and think we look weak or vulnerable in centre midfield.

I do; however, watch us sometimes and think we need to be better at controlling games, hence why I think we should be in for a playmaker as opposed to a ball winner.

That's not to say Rice is strictly a ball winner because I think he's improved so much on the ball but he's not typically known as someone who will dictate play.

I just think it always good to have different options. For example, Ole was able to bring in Matic and Pogba against Burnley the other day, who not only brought creativity, but the height and physicality to cope with a Burnley side who aerially bombard a lot of teams.

As I've said, I think Rice is already a fantastic player and whatever team he does end up at will be getting a top player, in my opinion. I just don't think he's the right type of signing at this current time, especially if Pogba goes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mctominay is a box to box player, we need a quality holding midfielder. Rice is a defensive mid but probably isn't good enough on the ball. Ndidi would be perfect, but far too expensive. Zakaria I've heard very good things about, and would be far more realistic anyway.

Trequarista10

I find the dismissiveness towards him here a bit snobbish.

He's a very good defensive midfielder, particularly defensively, which is especially rare for young players.

He's good/decent although nothing "special" on the ball, which is adequate for a DM even at top level if they are good enough defensively and in the right set up.

Criticism is over blown though because he's not as smooth or silky as certain DMs who were more deep lying playmakers anyway rather than DMs. However, silks and skills isnt as important as effectiveness. Rice uses his body well to holds opposition off which helps him when being pressed, it may not be as eye catching as someone who silkily twists and turns and dances past an opponent but if its equally effective it doesn't matter. A prime example of how YouTube videos aren't as effective a way to measure a player as, ya know, watching a player in the context of a game.

Idxomer

It would be a joke for any top club to spend 70m that's touted on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.