Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Moyes is deluded, Rice is a £50-60M player max, i don't see anyone paying more than that.
It would be better for us, if we sold Lingard to them and signed either Neuhaus or Tchouameni. Neuhaus isn't a DM per say, but would help us evade the press and transition play from a deeper role at a higher level potentially. Tchouameni at Monaco is also someone that has potential as a all round midfielder who is showing high potential as a #6 and #8 currently.

Either player could possibly be got for a price, which is considerably cheaper than what West Ham would want for Rice.

theklr

It would be better for us, if we sold Lingard to them and signed either Neuhaus or Tchouameni. Neuhaus isn't a DM per say, but would help us evade the press and transition play from a deeper role at a higher level potentially. Tchouameni at Monaco is also someone that has potential as a all round midfielder who is showing high potential as a #6 and #8 currently.

Either player could possibly be got for a price, which is considerably cheaper than what West Ham would want for Rice.
I think its something about swap deals that are more beneficial than straight cash, accounting wise. E.g. you get more than what you sell/buy in the long run.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'll prefix what I'm about to type with that I like AWB and Maguire but Rice would be like AWB and Maguire all over again, paying prices for what should get you world class but only getting very good

laughtersassassin

I'll prefix what I'm about to type with that I like AWB and Maguire but Rice would be like AWB and Maguire all over again, paying prices for what should get you world class but only getting very good
True but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it if there is no one else.

We should have signed Fabinho over Matic. It was clear as day but Jose opted for tried and tested even though Matic was clearly regressing

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
True but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it if there is no one else.

We should have signed Fabinho over Matic. It was clear as day but Jose opted for tried and tested even though Matic was clearly regressing
Im not sure you know, 50m on a RB who might need replacing due to his limitations going forward, 80m for a CB who needs a specific type of partner to cover his deficiencies, I don't know what Rice will cost but let's say it's 60m at least is he good enough that you can partner anyone with him?

Im not saying don't do it but I'm not saying we should do it either

Devil may care

I like the look of Tchouameni if Pogba stays, he looks like an actual holding midfielder with good positioning which is something we miss, nobody in our midfield knows how to plug the gaps and position themselves against the counter when we attack. I like Neuhaus but for me he's more of a Pogba replacement as pairing him with either of McFred will just be a sideways move to me.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I like the look of Tchouameni if Pogba stays, he looks like an actual holding midfielder with good positioning which is something we miss, nobody in our midfield knows how to plug the gaps and position themselves against the counter when we attack. I like Neuhaus but for me he's more of a Pogba replacement as pairing him with either of McFred will just be a sideways move to me.
Neuhaus would actually improve upon Pogba in a double pivot due to him being a natural fit for the role which I don't believe Pogba is in a 4-2-3-1. Neuhaus would also improve us when it comes to off the ball work and he's also well drilled when it comes to counter pressing which Pogba isn't.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Moyes is deluded, Rice is a £50-60M player max, i don't see anyone paying more than that.
Feels to me like the Maguire situation, he's obviously a good player but should we be spending £60m on him? I'm not convinced.

rotherham_red

Is that worth £80m or however much West Ham would want for him? Not for me. We don't have unlimited funds so I'd much rather see that money go towards a high quality forward, be that a striker or a right winger (preferably both, albeit unlikely).

Rice has done well for West Ham this season but I don't see him as any kind of integral signing. There are alternatives out there who will be far more reasonably priced.
It depends on how you view it. Rice himself? Probably a £50m player, tops; however if you brought Rice in, you free up Pogba and Bruno to play in their more natural positions either in 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. That's two potentially £80m-£100m players being able to play their natural games without worrying about progressing the ball from the first, to second and third phases of play and instead they can focus on what they are great at: inflicting damage on the opposition.

On that front, would you pay the potentially £80m it would take to get Rice, or instead look elsewhere? For me, I'd pay it because over the last 9 months or so he's gotten better and better, and he's showing a remarkably complete skillset. Bundles of energy and pace, good passing, very good positional discipline and play, and he's shown he has the ability to bomb on when required. The more I see of him, the more I see a young Matic at Chelsea, and I think that type of player is who we are currently missing.

Now, you could get someone on the continent whose cheaper and maybe he'd be a better option, but being able to play at the pace that is the standard in the PL is a massive thing and we've seen in the big money buys of last year that even some of the very best of their ilk in Europe have struggled to adapt in their first year (I'm looking at you, Thiago and Partey). We are much less likely to worry about this adaptation if Rice came in. He can come in and he could arguably play his natural game with any one or two of our current midfield options and elevate our standard of play in that second phase.

And I say all this as someone who up until late last year really didn't rate Rice at all and thought of him as nothing more than a Eric Dier mk.II. He's so much more than that and I think he has it within himself to get even better and show more sides to his game, kind of like Carrick at Spurs (though obviously very different players) who like Rice was primarily seen as a passer and not much else, but you saw little bits and pieces that suggested that with a little time he had more strings to his bow that he was on the verge of showing.

#CR7

Based on his ability and performances you would say he is worth around 60m. If you consider the intangibles such as leadership, his character and the fact he'd probably be here for the rest of his career you would definitely pay the 80m.

Park's Petrified Pooch

He’s English, young, and gets good press. So he’ll come at a premium. On the field ability wise, I wouldn’t pay more than 30 million. He’s not world class, and to be honest he’s the kind of quality you’d hope the academy can produce.

CM10

It depends on how you view it. Rice himself? Probably a £50m player, tops; however if you brought Rice in, you free up Pogba and Bruno to play in their more natural positions either in 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. That's two potentially £80m-£100m players being able to play their natural games without worrying about progressing the ball from the first, to second and third phases of play and instead they can focus on what they are great at: inflicting damage on the opposition.

On that front, would you pay the potentially £80m it would take to get Rice, or instead look elsewhere? For me, I'd pay it because over the last 9 months or so he's gotten better and better, and he's showing a remarkably complete skillset. Bundles of energy and pace, good passing, very good positional discipline and play, and he's shown he has the ability to bomb on when required. The more I see of him, the more I see a young Matic at Chelsea, and I think that type of player is who we are currently missing.

Now, you could get someone on the continent whose cheaper and maybe he'd be a better option, but being able to play at the pace that is the standard in the PL is a massive thing and we've seen in the big money buys of last year that even some of the very best of their ilk in Europe have struggled to adapt in their first year (I'm looking at you, Thiago and Partey). We are much less likely to worry about this adaptation if Rice came in. He can come in and he could arguably play his natural game with any one or two of our current midfield options and elevate our standard of play in that second phase.

And I say all this as someone who up until late last year really didn't rate Rice at all and thought of him as nothing more than a Eric Dier mk.II. He's so much more than that and I think he has it within himself to get even better and show more sides to his game, kind of like Carrick at Spurs (though obviously very different players) who like Rice was primarily seen as a passer and not much else, but you saw little bits and pieces that suggested that with a little time he had more strings to his bow that he was on the verge of showing.
I'm somewhat skeptical of this idea a new DM comes in and revolutionises our side anyway, to be honest. We've already had a couple of midfielders billed as the man to 'unlock' Pogba before the same conversations being had another 12 months down the line.

The reality is we don't even know for sure whether Pogba will still be here come the start of next season. If money is no object Rice is possibly one you'd consider. Forking out the big money to essentially make him our marquee signing would be a waste when there are other important positions in need of attention.

People whinge we don't sign players like Ndidi before teams like Leicester sign them up. This is a position where we should be looking for a player we can mould into the role, let's be honest Rice has some limitations to his game anyway so it's not a seamless fit.

Zakaria at Mochengladbach, maybe? International footballer with European pedigree, young and has a year left on his contract in the summer. The potential is still there to develop and play at a good level and doesn't prevent us from signing at least one forward who can make a tangible difference in terms of goals.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He ain't leaving because he won't be available for reasonable fees. He has too many years left on his contract. Wait another year or two at least.

TheReligion

Abusive
He’s English, young, and gets good press. So he’ll come at a premium. On the field ability wise, I wouldn’t pay more than 30 million. He’s not world class, and to be honest he’s the kind of quality you’d hope the academy can produce.
Couldn't disagree more.

I think people forget how old Rice is and the experience he's already got. WHU have took the hit and played him through good and bad which has helped him develop to this point so early on.

For United to do the same they'd have to have the patience, and the fans would, to bed such a player in and accept the mixed performances which would impact on the team. Do we really want to do that or do we just buy the player who is already 75% there?

Mylock

Both these players have high potential but we need someone to hit the ground running straight away. We already have potential in Garner who we have high hopes for.
Rice, Ndidi or Bosumou have the experience and ability and are better than what we have at the moment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Both these players have high potential but we need someone to hit the ground running straight away. We already have potential in Garner who we have high hopes for.
Rice, Ndidi or Bosumou have the experience and ability and are better than what we have at the moment.
I've been hearing the 'we need someone to hit the ground running' line since 2014, and we haven't come close to winning the league after signing established players from home and abroad.

And now during a pandemic, where money is being haemorrhaged by clubs, It's vital we sign players with high potential, but also players who are value for money. And Rice isn't gonna be value for money, with what West Ham will want.

So if we do end up signing him, don't be surprised if the total outlay on the deal affects our other incomings. What will then end up happening is that people will say, Ole wasn't backed.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
The Athletic have just posted an article saying they expect we will "explore" the possibility of a Lingard/Rice deal this Summer.

EDIT: not sure how much money we'll have to add to it, but we apparently value Lingard at £20-25m.

Idxomer

The Athletic have just posted an article saying they expect we will "explore" the possibility of a Lingard/Rice deal this Summer.

EDIT: not sure how much money we'll have to add to it, but we apparently value Lingard at £20-25m.
1st real link with him.

SER19

Potentially having spent 210m or so on maguire,AWB and rice doesn't sit that well with me, and i rate all 3

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Potentially having spent 210m or so on maguire,AWB and rice doesn't sit that well with me, and i rate all 3
Kind of agree. I rate Maguire and Rice. Dont rate AWB. I think we overpaid for Maguire due to a lack of options and desperation. That being said, he probably was a £60 mill player.

We might overpay for Rice too. But at least we will (probably) have him for several years.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The money that clubs spend of players doesnt really bother it. We are one of the richest in the world.

Jericholyte2

I'd say that sounds about right.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
West Ham are definitely going to do a grealish unless lingard thaws them out a bit
Yep, I don't doubt we'd be interested in Rice, but we're not desperate for him like we were with Maguire, we won't pay what they want.

Canuckred64

I heard £30m the other day. If he continues to play as well as he has we should not let him go on the cheap.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If Zakaria being available for realistic price, West Ham won't have that much of comfort in charging much.

Question is are United willing to explore other possibilities on the market.

Keyser

Surely the advantage of including Jesse is both sides can agree some nonsense for the price

Say we give them Jesse and pay them £50m, they can say they got £80m so they are happy. We clear Jesse off our books and only have to spend £50 on a player most would have to shell out £80 on

diarm

Lingard and £35mil would be a very fair price for Rice. £40m would be acceptable.

Any more than that and we'd be getting ripped off.

beingshe7don

Kind of agree. I rate Maguire and Rice. Dont rate AWB. I think we overpaid for Maguire due to a lack of options and desperation. That being said, he probably was a £60 mill player.

We might overpay for Rice too. But at least we will (probably) have him for several years.
Each time we've gone into a transfer tug-o-war with Man City, we've ended up on the receiving end (e.g. Sanchez (end up paying 400k/ week in wages while City were offering him around 250k/week), Fred (Was quoted as a 35m player and we ended up paying 50m) and Maguire (He was being quoted as a 60m and City entered the frame and the price went up to 80m))

Rice seems like a decent player but to pay 80m for him is preposterous. There are plenty of cheaper options out available (some of whom may even have a higher ceiling than Rice)

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Both Leicester & West Ham have aspirations of becoming top 4/6 clubs & will not want to sell their young quality players.
I don't expect Leicester to sell Ndidi this Summer unless he asks to leave and then I would expect them to want at least 80 for him. W Ham are in a similar position & don't need to sell so I'm sure they are going to want 80 as well.
Not too many bargains to be found in the Premier League !

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They would want something ridiculous like £60m + Lingard.
If they somehow get into Europe, no chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.