Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

theklr

Well, if they want an unreasonable high fee for Rice we will just want an unreasonable high fee for Lingard.

After those performance there will be a host of clubs after him. And they know they’ll lose Rice eventually anyway, so why not get something in return?

This is such a logical deal that I think it might actually happen. But it still might depend on our priorities/budget though. And if Rice is still holding on to that Chelsea dream...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Well, if they want an unreasonable high fee for Rice we will just want an unreasonable high fee for Lingard.

After those performance there will be a host of clubs after him. And they know they’ll lose Rice eventually anyway, so why not get something in return?

This is such a logical deal that I think it might actually happen. But it still might depend on our priorities/budget though. And if Rice is still holding on to that Chelsea dream...
Lingard has a year left on his deal. Our bargaining position is not that strong.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
If there's one thing we know about Declan Rice, it's that he is always very sure of what teams he is going to play for in the future. I'd imagine he already knows where he's going.

Shimo

Only problem with this is that West Ham will be more than happy to hold on to Rice. Same as Dortmund did with Sancho. Us on the other hand don't really have a place for Jesse.

Lingard is in great form but, have to realize a) He is playing week in week out and said it himself, that makes a difference - it won't be the case b) At United, he is not going to be playing in a role where he gets space to run into or on the counter most weeks, he is not one to really create. He isn't going to start in place of Bruno and on the right, he played there often for us but, is not a winger that takes on players and creates against defenses that sit back. c) Different pressure to play for United versus West Ham, no disrespect to West Ham meant. d) He has a year only on his contract and will likely not want to extend unless he is going to be playing a lot more.

cyberman

Lingard has a year left on his deal. Our bargaining position is not that strong.
If we are selling him then that doesnt really matter? What is he worth to West Ham if we can send him elsewhere.

Rooney1987

Only problem with this is that West Ham will be more than happy to hold on to Rice. Same as Dortmund did with Sancho. Us on the other hand don't really have a place for Jesse.

Lingard is in great form but, have to realize a) He is playing week in week out and said it himself, that makes a difference - it won't be the case b) At United, he is not going to be playing in a role where he gets space to run into or on the counter most weeks, he is not one to really create. He isn't going to start in place of Bruno and on the right, he played there often for us but, is not a winger that takes on players and creates against defenses that sit back. c) Different pressure to play for United versus West Ham, no disrespect to West Ham meant. d) He has a year only on his contract and will likely not want to extend unless he is going to be playing a lot more.
Well if they do that and we want Rice, they won't get Lingard. As they said if West Ham don't pay what we want they'll be many teams in line for him. In a full season in the PL in this position he'd get 25 or more goals/assist for a PL team, which is invaluable. Jesse respects United and the same the other way. Jesse is in the peak of his career so won't be messing about so he'll either want a move now or sign a new deal based on speaking to Ole. I think 30 mil (give or take a few mil) and Lingard for Rice is this market is likely.

reddev3

Has he ever given up a big chance through a mistake? I know he's great at tackling and covering ground etc but I'm just wondering because I haven't seen him do so but I don't watch most of his games.

One of our biggest problems is whoever is playing deep for us is a disaster waiting to happen, even Pogba who is great on the ball constantly gets caught in possession or does a sloppy pass to give a chance away when back there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Has he ever given up a big chance through a mistake? I know he's great at tackling and covering ground etc but I'm just wondering because I haven't seen him do so but I don't watch most of his games.

One of our biggest problems is whoever is playing deep for us is a disaster waiting to happen, even Pogba who is great on the ball constantly gets caught in possession or does a sloppy pass to give a chance away when back there.
The expectations on the ball at United is very different to how it is at West Ham. He'd need to seriously up that aspect of his game if he is to come here.

Castia

Would WH fans be open to a swap (involving Jess and Rice) ?
Probably not they don’t want to lose him. That being said I’m sure they’d rather sell to us than Chelsea who he’s been heavily linked to.

RkkMan

Can only see it happening if Pogba leaves. With all our funds being focused on a starting CB and starting forward I don't see how Woodward will sanction spending more big money on another big signing unless we make a big sale even if we use Lingard to lower the price a bit. I do hope we sign him though even if Pogba does leave his creativity can be replaced with Sancho and a more settled VBD whom we can integrate into a pivot more easily with a pure DM anchor like Rice in midfield.

MetoTTT

I can see us not get a quality CDM and/or OGS bring back Garner and not play him!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
All I can say is Matic is a player that shouldn't play for us anymore for 20 mins or more per game, he is nothing else but a sub player for 10 min to close the game down. The guy's leg is gone already and majority our loses this season came from when he played. Both Fred & McTominay need rest too. Whether it is signing Rice or promoting Garner or signing cheap midfielder, we can't have Matic in that rotation option. The news about Rice & Lingard has picked up my interest.

DSG

The expectations on the ball at United is very different to how it is at West Ham. He'd need to seriously up that aspect of his game if he is to come here.
Totally agree with this. I said 18 months ago that he was over rated, and I still think he’s over rated. I could name 10 DM’s that I’d rather have than him for 100m.

He has improved his passing and his strengths are his physicality and ability to read the game. But he has nowhere near the skills to be able to dictate play from deep. More of a ball-mover.

Haven't many people suggested that Long-term they see Rice as a CB ?
‘Yes, I think that he will be moved there in a couple of years.

Abraxas

I'm still not sure about this one. Definitely a good player, but is his ability on the ball going to be enough to significantly improve us, or if not, do his other attributes compensate to the extent that we're a much better team?

They seem like massive question marks within the context of how much he'd cost. I don't think an incremental improvement is what we'd be looking for, but it might be what we get unless he develops substantially.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think we could get Camavinga for the same kind of money. Wouldn’t Camavinga be even better if he’d come here? It seems like there are some decent cheaper options out there too. We actually have a fair bit more leverage with Jesse too. He’s gone from being 15 million to 30/35. Jesse and 50 for Rice? I’d do it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
As much as I think they're enjoying Lingard, I think the absolute uproar when Rice gets sold will be huge. They adore him. I think they'd be furious with that deal.
Probably not they don’t want to lose him. That being said I’m sure they’d rather sell to us than Chelsea who he’s been heavily linked to.
I think they probably know that if he (Rice) continues to impress then it's only a matter of time before they lose him. Right now selling Rice but keeping Lingard is probably good business by them, lose someone who's likely to leave sooner or later anyway but secure someone of Lingard's ability for what should be his peak years

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Was thinking about this as potential XI what do people think?

---------------Henderson---------------
AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
-------Bellingham---Rice-------
Sancho---Fernandes---Rashford
--------------Greenwood--------------

Very English (remember when that was a thing thrown at Ole) but after seeing Bellingham in midweek and with these links to Rice it's got the muppet juices flowing :drool::drool::drool:

theklr

I think we could get Camavinga for the same kind of money. Wouldn’t Camavinga be even better if he’d come here? It seems like there are some decent cheaper options out there too. We actually have a fair bit more leverage with Jesse too. He’s gone from being 15 million to 30/35. Jesse and 50 for Rice? I’d do it.
Long term he very well could he is, but it might take him 1-2 seasons to fully adapt and you then take the risk of it not happening at all. There is a reason «PL proven» is a thing and commands 10-20M extra.

MetoTTT

Camavinga isn't ready for this level imo. He isn't a CDM, more of a B2B à la Pogba. He was shite this season and will cost a leg.

Cman

I’m not sold on Rice, Ndidi would cost same sort of money and I think he would be a far better buy. or alternatively I would mind us trying to find the next up and coming DM.
But I can see the Rice deal getting a lot of headlines over the coming weeks and months mainly as I think it would be a good deal for WH. Lingard and £40mil should get it done I’d say.
Lingards form means he will now command a fee that will prob use up most if not all of WH budget. I think Moyes would back himself to find someone that will be as good as Rice for £40mil and still have their full transfer budget for another player or two.
Personally I think I’d rather we found a better value DM than Rice.

davidmichael

This guy, Grealish and Sancho and we are set.
Also around £200 million lighter too, I love Grealish as a player but he won’t get in ahead of Rashford on the left or Fernandes as a 10 so is simply as expensive luxury player when we’ve got far more pressing positions that need filling first.

jesperjaap

Love how last year Lingard wasnt even worth a fee in a lot of people on heres eyes and now after a good loan spell he is worth £30-35m? £20m + Lingard I see on this thread for Rice, dream on!

Totally different player but Rice is as valuable to West Ham as Grealish is Villa, star man that has come through the ranks and the club captain still not in the prime of his career. They are not letting him gor for less than £60-70m and we will not be getting more than £20-25m for Lingard.

I really like Rice, think so many people under rate him as he isnt a flair or exciting midfielder...he is quality and has got better every season. He is positionally aware like Carrick, has a very under rate weight of short pass like Roy Keane did, bursts of energy box to box like Robson and aso rarely gives the ball away and usually picks the right pass and has good awareness of what is around him. I am not saying he is comparable in quality with any of those players but he is a top player.

However with the likely fee, with what we really need this summer priority wise in other positions ad with some of the players we already have that are similar, I dont think in an overall strategy this summer that signing Rice in amongst that is the best way forward in a group of 3/4 signings, not unless we were selling Van de Beek, Fred AND Pogba this summer which although personally I wouldnt actually be adverse to, is not happening

gajender

Love how last year Lingard wasnt even worth a fee in a lot of people on heres eyes and now after a good loan spell he is worth £30-35m? £20m + Lingard I see on this thread for Rice, dream on!

Totally different player but Rice is as valuable to West Ham as Grealish is Villa, star man that has come through the ranks and the club captain still not in the prime of his career. They are not letting him gor for less than £60-70m and we will not be getting more than £20-25m for Lingard.

I really like Rice, think so many people under rate him as he isnt a flair or exciting midfielder...he is quality and has got better every season. He is positionally aware like Carrick, has a very under rate weight of short pass like Roy Keane did, bursts of energy box to box like Robson and aso rarely gives the ball away and usually picks the right pass and has good awareness of what is around him. I am not saying he is comparable in quality with any of those players but he is a top player.

However with the likely fee, with what we really need this summer priority wise in other positions ad with some of the players we already have that are similar, I dont think in an overall strategy this summer that signing Rice in amongst that is the best way forward in a group of 3/4 signings, not unless we were selling Van de Beek, Fred AND Pogba this summer which although personally I wouldnt actually be adverse to, is not happening
And thank God for that because that would just be sabotaging our season before it starts, leaving midfield dangerously light with Rice and Mctominay who truth to told should not be a starter alongside semi retired Matic.
I have no doubt that our new transfer team would not be so incompetent.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Agree with this, but he has also been imperious for England where the expectations are more on a level with United

Marwood

Think that's the biggest advantage he has over Fred and McTominay. Much more secure and consistent on the ball.

I'd sign him but Ole would have to change the way the midfield sets up. No point just taking Fred out and dropping Rice in. That wouldn't make much of a difference.

He's a proper DM so the other two midfielders can be used like most other teams do. We don't need another CM sat right next to Rice(or whichever DM we get).

Nick.

If we had Rice would it be possible to play Pogba and Bruno as a 3 man midfield like we did with Matic after the restart last year? We were scintillating for a time with that setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.